Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Homeroom Fingering posted:

It's all bullshit of course, but do Venezuelans really care if something was made in Israel or did he take the How To Become A Dictator guide from Turkey and forget to change all the fields?

Yeah this one baffled me too, was it 'The attackers used an Israeli made TN-9X gas grenade.' or is it "The Jews Did This(tm)"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
This whole helicopter thing is way bizarre, even by Venezuelan standards. Here's a rough timeline of events from yesterday:
  • The National Assembly was holding a session yesterday in the early afternoon. Three deputies noticed a bunch of National Guard soldiers moving lots of boxes marked "Consejo Nacional Electoral" (the organization in charge of elections) onto the grounds of the legislature. Since there was no reason for the soldiers to be moving CNE boxes onto the National Assembly grounds, a couple of legislators approached the soldiers and asked them what was up. What was in the boxes? Why were they putting them in the National Assembly? The soldiers refused to answer and scuffles broke out.

Here is a picture of the soldiers moving the mysterious boxes:

https://twitter.com/lugoalexa/status/879798762687868929

And here is a video of the scuffles that broke out between legislators and the soldiers:

https://twitter.com/ElNacionalWeb/status/879829130371633152

• At about the same time the box fiasco was taking place, a group of regime supporters attempted to break in to the National Assembly. They were held at the gates of the legislature by soldiers. The regime supporters threw fireworks onto the legislature's grounds, shouted obscenities and milled about the gates for about four hours.

The video below shows the regime demonstrators outside of the National Assembly's gates:

https://twitter.com/GabyGabyGG/status/879825229408808960

• While this was going on, Oscar Perez was buzzing the Supreme Court building not too far away. Here are a couple of videos of that:

https://twitter.com/freddyzur/status/879845090629431297

https://twitter.com/trafficMIRANDA/status/879832180897320961

And this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvvWH4xLlnk

• The helicopter belonged to the CICPC, which is Venezuela's investigative police body. Oscar Perez is an officer with the CICPC. He's also part of the air force's special operations group, which is called the Brigada de Acciones Especiales.

• Perez published a video manifesto shortly before going on his mission. The video is here, and my translation is below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3tjnXMVG8

quote:

Oscar Perez: Venezuelans. Dear brothers. We speak to you from within the state. We are a coalition of military, police and civilian officers searching for balance and against this transitory, criminal government. We do not belong to any political party, nor do we have any political tendencies. We are nationalists, patriots and institutionalists.

This struggle is not against the rest of the state security forces. It is against the impunity that this government has brought, against tyranny, against the deaths of the youth who fight for their legitimate rights, against the lack of food and medicine, against fanaticism. This is a fight for life, and for the hope that we’re building. It is not revenge. It is justice and our conscience that drives us to seek change.

We make this distinction [in the name of] truth and of Jesus Christ, who is with us.

This is why we’re calling on all Venezuelans, from east to west and from north to south to accompany us in this struggle, and to go out onto the streets. In Caracas, to Fuerte Tiuna [a military base in the city], and in the interior of the country to each military base so that we can meet once again as brothers in our National Armed Forces. Together, we [will] rescue our beautiful Venezuela.

Today, we are undertaking air and land operations with the only goal of returning power to the democratic people, and in so doing obeying the law and making others obey the law in order to reestablish constitutional order. This is why we adhere ourselves to article 350 and 333 of our Constitution. It is our duty as state security forces to dismantle these paramiltiary groups in order to restore peace to Bolivar’s people.

We demand, President Nicolas Maduro Moros, that you resign immediately along with all of your minister, and for immediate general elections to be announced. To you, our brother in arms: we have to options. Either be judged by our conscience tomorrow and the people, or to liberate our people from this corrupt government today.

We are God’s warriors. Our mission is to live at the service of the people. Viva Venezuela!

• Perez and the helicopter escaped, and their whereabouts are unknown.

The rumour mill was spinning dangerously fast last night, and this morning a lot of people are scratching their heads and wondering exactly what happened. Here are two theories:
  • Theory #1: This was the real deal. Perez and his band of rogue brothers-in-arms attempted to launch an insurrection against the Maduro regime and failed.

• Theory #2: This was a (failed?) false flag operation. The regime either planned the helicopter "attack", or knew it was happening, deemed that it was not a threat, and let it happen.

In order for Theory #1 to work, Perez and his rogues have to be incredibly inept, and their little operation has to be considered a monumental failure in every way possible.. If Perez was honest in his insurrection, it can't really be called an insurrection. Perez had at his disposal a total of five people, including himself, and a police helicopter with no armaments. Buzzing the Supreme Court building doesn't make any practical sense. If you've got five people and one chance to make a statement, why not attack Miraflores or Maduro directly?

In order for Theory #2 to work, the regime has to have known about Perez's plan attack the TSJ. In this scenario, the regime knows what Perez is up to, deems it completely harmless, but decides to go ahead and let the man do his thing. The regime may have been hoping that people (National Assembly deputies, members of the armed forces, etc.) would answer Perez's call to join the insurrection. In doing so, these people would have revealed themselves to be traitors/terrorists/whatever, which would have given the regime an excuse to throw them in jail. This theory goes down the rabbit hole when you consider the box incident at the National Assembly earlier, since the narrative that some in the opposition are pushing is that the boxes were full of weapons and/or incriminating falsified documents that would have tied the legislature to the supposed coup. At the right moment, the regime would have said "There's a coup underway, and the National Assembly has come out in support of it!", and they would have been given a green light to do whatever they wanted with the legislature and all the deputies after "finding" the weapons that were planted earlier.

Anyway, I suppose Occam's razor compels me to think that theory #1 is the correct one, and that Perez and his buddies are just a bunch of dummies who've watched too many movies and rolled a one on their mission.

Negrostrike posted:

What's worse? The current situation or these conservative zealots taking over? What a hosed up situation...
EDIT: Obviously the current situation, but those guys calling themselves "soldados de Diós" doesn't sound good one bit.

Yeah, the whole "God's Warriors" thing sounds weird. I will say, though, that lots of Venezuelan people are extremely religious. At least they speak like religious zealots. I know that if anyone in my family made a video like that, they'd also go heavy with the "God's Warriors" and Jesus talk.

Laphroaig posted:

Yeah this one baffled me too, was it 'The attackers used an Israeli made TN-9X gas grenade.' or is it "The Jews Did This(tm)"?

I think it was the latter. Why didn't Villegas explain which country the helicopter came from? I don't know. The only excuse I can come up with is that the regime wanted to appear to be on top of things, like the investigation into the event was well underway and yielding evidence, so they figured it was a good idea to throw that little tidbit in there.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Vlex posted:

Holy poo poo, I think I got searched by this gently caress in Puerto Ayacucho. He had hair and a beard then, though.

congrats at meeting pinochet 2.0 before he got big

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Chuck Boone posted:

Anyway, I suppose Occam's razor compels me to think that theory #1 is the correct one, and that Perez and his buddies are just a bunch of dummies who've watched too many movies and rolled a one on their mission.

Personally I'd guess that they never had the intention of doing anything more than making some noise and getting some press. Buzzing the courts was a good way to get people watching their video condemning Madura. At least it was more dramatic than slinking out of the barracks at midnight and disappearing.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chuck Boone posted:

• Theory #2: This was a (failed?) false flag operation. The regime either planned the helicopter "attack", or knew it was happening, deemed that it was not a threat, and let it happen.

Yeah, Theory #2 seems weird to me too — if those boxes were full of guns and incriminating documents, why wouldn't they just use them anyway even if the representatives did not rise to the occasion? It's not like they need things to be realistic, given how many other opposition party members the government has "found" driving around with C4 and AK-47s.

Also that Oscar Perez guy has ridiculously striking eyes, so much so that I thought they were contact lenses in the first video.

Unfortunately, come August 1st when there's a new constitution mandating Maduro as dictator for life and abolishing popular elections, people will probably regret they didn't follow Perez's suggestion.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Saladman posted:

Yeah, Theory #2 seems weird to me too — if those boxes were full of guns and incriminating documents, why wouldn't they just use them anyway even if the representatives did not rise to the occasion? It's not like they need things to be realistic, given how many other opposition party members the government has "found" driving around with C4 and AK-47s.

Also that Oscar Perez guy has ridiculously striking eyes, so much so that I thought they were contact lenses in the first video.

Unfortunately, come August 1st when there's a new constitution mandating Maduro as dictator for life and abolishing popular elections, people will probably regret they didn't follow Perez's suggestion.

I thought he looked too striking to be a CICPC officer, turns out he moonlights as an actor and starred in a movie lol. That explains the hashtag.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Did the people in this thread educate themselves a bit about the history of CIA intervention in Latin America since last time I checked or are they still supporting the totally legitimate and democratic color revolution in Venezuela

fnox
May 19, 2013

Bob le Moche posted:

Did the people in this thread educate themselves a bit about the history of CIA intervention in Latin America since last time I checked or are they still supporting the totally legitimate and democratic color revolution in Venezuela

Did you educate yourself about the kids that Maduro is killing or is that still too hot of a subject for you tankies to talk about?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bob le Moche posted:

im pretty sure most people posting in the politics nerd subforum thread about venezuela are well aware of the CIA's history in latin america dude. good job at coming off like a pompous know it all rear end in a top hat though

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bob le Moche posted:

What are you even talking about. You trying to claim the CIA is supporting Maduro?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

chapo boys are on the "any opposition to psuv is a CIA backed coup" train again

shame I love chapo but they're really hosed on this issue

fnox
May 19, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

You have to be completely loving deluded to support the PSUV when not even Chavistas support them, particularly now that there is overwhelming evidence of abuses from government security forces resulting in the deaths of dozens, particularly teenagers and children.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The helicopter thing made it finally hit the mainstream news aggregators I use (Google, Yahoo) though they spent more time talking about how the guy was in a movie and parroting the government's line than any actual reporting on what led to this.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The continued willingness to defend the Maduro regime is proof that even people who mock the tankies of previous generations can still prove to be their equivalent today.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bob le Moche posted:

God, it's like clockwork.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
imo people itt rooting for maduro to fall to the cia and reactionaries are exactly like those accelerationists who wanted trump to win

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Bob le Moche posted:

What kind of drugs are you taking

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

imo people itt rooting for maduro to fall to the cia and reactionaries are exactly like those accelerationists who wanted trump to win

Or they're not tankies who think authoritarianism and mass poverty are okay as long as the dictator mouths the correct ideological platitudes.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

There's lots of room for intelligent conversation here. But if your starting premise is that anyone who isn't the PSUV is the "cia and reactonaries", then we can't have an intelligent conversation.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Maybe Maduro and the woke coup bae can share power?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
nobody but the cia and reactionaries are in a position to take control if the psuv goes under these circumstances. how many times has this happened in other places. its always reactionaries and religious zealots under a cloud of american cash. sometimes they wear nice suits, sometimes not. the helicopter bomb tosser was a big fan of john mcnaughton paintings though lol

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

They do raise an interesting point, is there any evidence of US intelligence operations in Venezuela? Statements by government officials, suspicious flight plans, leaked memos, etc? Typically in these cases, for example counter Sandinista operations during the 1980s, US politicians and operatives can't keep their mouths shut and will often even boast of their subterfuge, even if only anonymously to the Washington post.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

imo people itt rooting for maduro to stay in power are morons

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Squalid posted:

They do raise an interesting point, is there any evidence of US intelligence operations in Venezuela? Statements by government officials, suspicious flight plans, leaked memos, etc? Typically in these cases, for example counter Sandinista operations during the 1980s, US politicians and operatives can't keep their mouths shut and will often even boast of their subterfuge, even if only anonymously to the Washington post.

We had a congressman who bragged when he thought Trump was backing ISIS to strike at Iran, so if we had a major sustained effort to bring down Maduro, we probably would have heard something. I'm sure the CIA is in touch with people here and there, but I also think it's pretty obvious that there's genuine grassroots anger at this regime and the course the country has taken over the last few years.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

lol there's no food and people are literally starving to death and the tankies are coming in here to tell actual Venezuelans that they're a bunch of CIA puppets. Way to be completely disconnected from basic human empathy

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

Maduro is behaving exactly like a CIA-installed conservative dictator would.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

nobody but the cia and reactionaries are in a position to take control if the psuv goes under these circumstances.

Wow, sure is weird that when Chavez and then Maduro killed or imprisoned all the normal opposition, that left a power vacuum huh?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

fishmech posted:

Maduro is behaving exactly like a CIA-installed conservative dictator would.

Bingo. Anyone who opposes CIA installed dictators must oppose Maduro, or else prove the only reason they opposed the dictators in the first place is because of who backs them, not because of what they do.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

maduro has done more damage to the overall cause of leftism in latin america then the past 3 graduating classes of the school of the americas combined and as a leftist i would be glad to see him gone

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zikan posted:

maduro has done more damage to the overall cause of leftism in latin america then the past 3 graduating classes of the school of the americas combined and as a leftist i would be glad to see him gone

What if... Maduro attended the School of the Americas? :ohdear:

It's CIA puppets all the way down

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

How would a CIA-backed coup in Venezuela actually produce a government that's worse than what it has now?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

How would a CIA-backed coup in Venezuela actually produce a government that's worse than what it has now?

Well the US supported Pol Pot so I suppose it's possible things could be worse. It'd take a lot of doing though.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
It's especially frustrating because it feels like, what do people expect the Venezuelans to do? Are they supposed to just quietly starve in the streets and hope the PSUV will save them despite their continued and gross incompetence? These people are clearly infuriated and in a lot of cases it's not as if they have anything to go back to anymore.

My heart really does go out to them because it feels as if there is no good or peacable outcome even if they do overthrow the government, especially given the PSUV's efforts at scaring off any strong opposition over the past few years.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Let's be real if the CIA gave a poo poo about intervening in Venezuela they'd just ride the current VP's accused terror ties into extrajudicially murdering whoever the gently caress they felt like.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
A fat goony tankie approaches an emaciated Venezuelan child eating out of the trash. "Keep it up Lil' Comrade, your Revolutionary struggle will finally expose the evil of the Yanqui empire to the world!"

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

nobody but the cia and reactionaries are in a position to take control if the psuv goes under these circumstances. how many times has this happened in other places. its always reactionaries and religious zealots under a cloud of american cash. sometimes they wear nice suits, sometimes not. the helicopter bomb tosser was a big fan of john mcnaughton paintings though lol

This is like... pure Nixonian logic, only from the left. "It's either our strongmen or their strongmen," with no hope for or faith in the people of the Third World. Only it's also reversed, because this time, the CIA can provide material stability and goods for the poor while the Leftists are the ones promising abstract, inedible concepts.

I don't think the CIA is terribly interested in Venezuela because an inept, flailing PSUV is weak and easily worked around, meaning it has no ability to really hamper US interests in the region. Venezuela's oil isn't worth as much as it once was, America's already getting it, and the country really doesn't have much else to offer the corporate elite, so it's just kind of irrelevant. Maduro can't even be the gadfly to the US like Chavez was because 1) his country is on fire and 2) he's a completely charmless buffoon.

The CIA's done dumber, more pointless things in its history, so who knows? Maybe they're toppling the PSUV out of spite or habit, but it's not the 80s anymore. America's international rivals, like China and Russia, don't move like the USSR. They're not trying to ideologically move into "America's backyard" or plant missiles, and it's all moot besides because even they don't seem interested in this dumpster fire anymore.

fnox
May 19, 2013

If the CIA were involved, Maduro would be out already. There's no way the CIA is so loving incompetent they can't off a despised dictator that regularly finds himself being mocked by his own followers and gets poo poo thrown at him in rallies.

Literally every argument about how come the CIA hasn't taken down Maduro if they're fuelling the opposition is absurd. Can't get guns in? Even the prisoners have AR-15s. Can't find somebody willing to immolate themselves to take down the government? There's kids going out every day with wooden shields to stand against the National Guard and their onslaught. Don't have enough money? A dollar is worth 8000 bolivares, the minimum monthly wage is 10 bucks, give a guy $2000 and he's rich. They're afraid of international perception? Not even loving Bolivia or Ecuador are backing Venezuela anymore, they're a diplomatic pariah and everyone in the region would much rather have another government and everything but the tankiest of news sites have turned against them. Can't get in? The US embassy in Caracas is still loving open and has been open for the entirety of Maduro's term.

fnox fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 28, 2017

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

consumed by normies posted:

im pretty sure most people posting in the politics nerd subforum thread about venezuela are well aware of the CIA's history in latin america dude. good job at coming off like a pompous know it all rear end in a top hat though

Precambrian posted:

this time, the CIA can provide material stability and goods for the poor

haha ok

North Americans: If you want to help the starving Venezuelan people how about you pressure your own government to lift economic sanctions, which is something that you can actually do and where you actually have some power to change things, as opposed to doing their imperial propaganda work for them or acting as if the Venezuelan government gives any poo poo what you think?

fnox
May 19, 2013

Bob le Moche posted:

haha ok

North Americans: If you want to help the starving Venezuelan people how about you pressure your own government to lift economic sanctions, which is something that you can actually do and where you actually have some power to change things, as opposed to doing their imperial propaganda work for them or acting as if the Venezuelan government gives any poo poo what you think?

There's no economic sanctions against anybody but corrupt government officials you loving idiot. No, the US government shouldn't give PSUVistas their Miami residences back.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Bob le Moche posted:

The U.S. has not placed economic sanctions on Venezuela.

The U.S. has placed targeted sanctions against a handful of officials (about a dozen or so) who are suspected of being directly involved in human rights violations in the country. These are high-ranking military officials for the most part. The vice president has also been sanctioned over his alleged active role in the drug trade. These sanctions are targeted only at a handful of named individuals. The sanctions are in the form of travel bans and asset freezing in the U.S.

Let me repeat for the sake of clarity: there are currently no sanctions against Venezuela.

EDIT: Here's a video of National Guard soldiers beating and dragging an unconscious CIA-backed reactionary and leaving him to die underneath the afternoon rain (likely in Altamira, Caracas) earlier today:

https://twitter.com/ReporteYa/status/880175724438708224

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Eh, not worth.