Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rkajdi posted:

Again, it ties into that search for value. The channers are as a group pathetic. No/low employment and education, low prospects romantically, and little life beyond AAA video games and anime. They are the people rightfully left behind by the economy, and instead of turning the blame inward where it belongs they lash out at better people who have succeeded where they have failed.

Sorry, but I legit believe in meritocracy. These guys don't have the state or society making GBS threads on them, so they don't have an excuse for being as unsuccessful as they are. I got out of that culture (grew up in the lovely hills in western MD, though you couldn't tell so much now with 40 years of growth from DC showing up) and gain some level of success. Why the hell should I offer to bail them out to the guy who's just going to poo poo on me because I got out, gave up god, and found out I liked screwing dudes? Doubly so when it's going to cost us immigration, which is the primary way we've stayed a step ahead of other parts of the world. I don't want to see any sterilized, but I do think that free and effective birth control and abortion will basically decimate that population.

It's just like the "opioid crisis". People started giving a poo poo exactly when the cute white girl who goes to church and loves mama and apple pie started shooting up. Sorry, you don't get to poo poo on everyone else and then stop the train when it's finally your turn to get screwed. The poor white community doesn't get to be suddenly woke on economic issues just as soon as they start to become economically obsolete. Especially since they've been making GBS threads on the welfare state because doing so helped them get an unfair leg up on minorities right up until now. It's entirely transparent to me that this is going to go the same way it went during the New Deal-- i.e. poor whites get a leg up and than hit the betray button as hard and fast as possible. And I don't much feel like being the sacrifice given up for it.

We don't live in a meritocracy and capitalism does these things to people. We don't get what we deserve and you're just lucky you're not sweeping hair in a barber shop and shooting dope in the bathroom of some dying town. Have some compassion. Smash the bigots but keep your focus on the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Meritocracy has been used as a shield to deflect the questions of why people of color and woman can't rise high in organizations since open racism and sexism because socially uncouth, so coming out for it in your denunciation of racism is certainly an interesting argument!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rkajdi posted:

Sorry, but I legit believe in meritocracy. These guys don't have the state or society making GBS threads on them, so they don't have an excuse for being as unsuccessful as they are. I got out of that culture (grew up in the lovely hills in western MD, though you couldn't tell so much now with 40 years of growth from DC showing up) and gain some level of success. Why the hell should I offer to bail them out to the guy who's just going to poo poo on me because I got out, gave up god, and found out I liked screwing dudes? Doubly so when it's going to cost us immigration, which is the primary way we've stayed a step ahead of other parts of the world. I don't want to see any sterilized, but I do think that free and effective birth control and abortion will basically decimate that population.

It's just like the "opioid crisis". People started giving a poo poo exactly when the cute white girl who goes to church and loves mama and apple pie started shooting up. Sorry, you don't get to poo poo on everyone else and then stop the train when it's finally your turn to get screwed. The poor white community doesn't get to be suddenly woke on economic issues just as soon as they start to become economically obsolete. Especially since they've been making GBS threads on the welfare state because doing so helped them get an unfair leg up on minorities right up until now. It's entirely transparent to me that this is going to go the same way it went during the New Deal-- i.e. poor whites get a leg up and than hit the betray button as hard and fast as possible. And I don't much feel like being the sacrifice given up for it.

Just because minorities have it even worse doesn't mean that the non-minority poor aren't also at a severe disadvantage. A person's parents' economic status is probably the single biggest barrier to future economic success; when people talk about white privilege they're just talking about the fact that white people have an easier time than minorities all other things equal. If you absolutely had to do a comparison, in most cases a well-off minority is going to have more economic opportunities than a poor white (though obviously they'll still be worse off than a white person of equal economic means).

Honestly, I find attitudes like this just as appalling as people who claim that minorities should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Your argument about how it's possible to go from a poor background and become well-off could also apply to minorities. The point isn't that it's impossible for a poor person or a black person to become wealthy; it's that it's much more difficult. If white person success (which you seem to be implying is uniquely meritocratic) were really determined by innate moral virtue/work ethic/etc, economic mobility would be far higher.

edit: To be honest, I feel like attitudes like rkajdi's here are coming from the exact same place as racism; it's just channeled in a way that is more palatable to the cultural spheres the person in question associates with.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rkajdi posted:

Sorry, but I legit believe in meritocracy.

the dumbest person in america failed his way into the the most powerful position on earth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zikan posted:

Meritocracy has been used as a shield to deflect the questions of why people of color and woman can't rise high in organizations since open racism and sexism because socially uncouth, so coming out for it in your denunciation of racism is certainly an interesting argument!
The guy who coined the term meant it to describe exactly that, the creation of a hierarchy of the 'merited' who run society, while everyone less fortunate eats poo poo, so that's fitting.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

business hammocks posted:

We don't live in a meritocracy and capitalism does these things to people. We don't get what we deserve and you're just lucky you're not sweeping hair in a barber shop and shooting dope in the bathroom of some dying town. Have some compassion. Smash the bigots but keep your focus on the system.

Yeah, this. I was in a position not too different from the average broke brained redpiller years ago. I graduated college in 2009 and waltzed straight into the great recession. I was fortunate that I had parents willing to support me while I figured my poo poo out but I didn't have anyone around me who knew how to actually apply for a job in the modern age. So I got a lot of "walk around town and give them resumes" advice that went nowhere. I bounced from seasonal job to seasonal job having no idea how I was going to support myself until I lucked into an entry level social work job and from there made my way into admin and then databases. I'm good at what I do now but I never would've got the chance to excel if it wasn't for a few lucky breaks. I could just as easily be living in a hovel working at a gas station or whatever if things had gone differently. I was bitter and half crazy with depression, the target of my ire just happened to be right wingers because I spent way too much time on DnD :v:

I don't think the government should be crafting a bailout plan to exclusively target dying rural towns or whatever but acting like everyone gets to live up to their full potential or that some people just plain deserve destitution is kind of gross.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

Why? Why is this taken as a given now?

Don't you think poo poo has changed from the New Deal era? Do you think we could get away with passing "welfare but only for whites" without a shitload of lawsuits and challenges from the courts?

This is the most frustrating assumption, that just because we were racist the last time we did a welfare state, we will be again. Not to say that everything will go perfectly with no issues whatsoever, but I think it's doable.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure poo poo hasn't changed. I still get insulted for not going to some shithouse church (along with the 10% god tax) when I get around the wrong people back home, and I know better than to ever mention if some dude is cute because I don't want to get hit. And again, this is not stuff that's happened in the past, it's happening right now. I don't even have employment protection if the worst happens and my job gets moved into WV or Pennsyltucky.

As for the law, given that we have Gorsuch and Roberts on the court, I have no faith that the Civil Rights act will exist in an enforceable way if Kennedy or RBG retire/die. Racist laws will come back to favor poor whites over people who are actually deserving. Acting like it'll be different this time is foolish. They've already showed their hand by supporting populists instead of people who have actually have training and experience within the government to get things done.

business hammocks posted:

Yeah, but it's pretty obvious that I'm going to be the sacrifice. I can see the move towards heavy anti-intellectualism all over. Hell, we can't have a thread without people making GBS threads on the only two self-made Presidents we've had in the last half-century (Obama & Clinton) because apparently you can't be legit unless you're pushing Full Communism Now. And without employment protections I'm a dead man with my new boss if he figures out anything and isn't constrained. Sorry, I didn't drag myself out of the hellpit to get pulled back in just so some coal miner can keep his useless manly man job for another decade. I know you're somehow convinced that nobody does anything, but as best I can tell the people who say that are the ones who failed.

I get that we're nowhere near good enough with our meritocracy (as in, we haven't pushed the failsons or the Trumps of the world down to where their talent fits) but giving up on the basic idea that we should reward competence is insane. I'm in favor of a social welfare state, but dismantling basic things like constrained capitalism and most importantly free trade just seems like a plan to ruin the actually functioning parts of the country.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Groovelord Neato posted:

the dumbest person in america failed his way into the the most powerful position on earth.

Because we gave extra votes to hill filth via the electoral college. And again, if the meritocracy doesn't work you should fix it, not throw the idea of putting the most capable forward away.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure poo poo hasn't changed. I still get insulted for not going to some shithouse church (along with the 10% god tax) when I get around the wrong people back home, and I know better than to ever mention if some dude is cute because I don't want to get hit. And again, this is not stuff that's happened in the past, it's happening right now. I don't even have employment protection if the worst happens and my job gets moved into WV or Pennsyltucky.

As for the law, given that we have Gorsuch and Roberts on the court, I have no faith that the Civil Rights act will exist in an enforceable way if Kennedy or RBG retire/die. Racist laws will come back to favor poor whites over people who are actually deserving. Acting like it'll be different this time is foolish. They've already showed their hand by supporting populists instead of people who have actually have training and experience within the government to get things done.

Yeah, but it's pretty obvious that I'm going to be the sacrifice. I can see the move towards heavy anti-intellectualism all over. Hell, we can't have a thread without people making GBS threads on the only two self-made Presidents we've had in the last half-century (Obama & Clinton) because apparently you can't be legit unless you're pushing Full Communism Now. And without employment protections I'm a dead man with my new boss if he figures out anything and isn't constrained. Sorry, I didn't drag myself out of the hellpit to get pulled back in just so some coal miner can keep his useless manly man job for another decade. I know you're somehow convinced that nobody does anything, but as best I can tell the people who say that are the ones who failed.

I get that we're nowhere near good enough with our meritocracy (as in, we haven't pushed the failsons or the Trumps of the world down to where their talent fits) but giving up on the basic idea that we should reward competence is insane. I'm in favor of a social welfare state, but dismantling basic things like constrained capitalism and most importantly free trade just seems like a plan to ruin the actually functioning parts of the country.

Meritocracy is actually an impossible dream because it can only be used to justify a racist and classist status quo. There is no empirical method to identify "best" so in practice it means Harvard boys get the plum jobs.

Also you seem incapable of understanding the world except by means of refracting everything through your own experiences and petty grudges. That kind of narcissism usually ends up producing reactionaries of one stripe or another.

Let's say you really did pull yourself up by your own bootstraps and high IQ and wise choices in time preference. This isn't a workable solution for an equitable world and punishing some poor people out of spite actually makes you the moral equivalent of Eric Trump and not an antiracist. Sorry.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

holy gently caress it's an actual unironic radical centrist

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rkajdi posted:

Because we gave extra votes to hill filth via the electoral college.

if we lived in a meritocracy donald trump would be starving in a gutter. that he even was in a position to run for president proves we don't live in a meritocracy. that he makes more money in a year than everyone who posts on this forum will make combined in a lifetime is proof there is no meritocracy. every member of his administration is proof we don't live in a meritocracy. if meritocracy existed we wouldn't be living in a kakistocracy right now.

you could only have a meritocracy if literally every person started on the same footing.

ps google kakistocracy for a good giggle.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 29, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember that I used to believe that there was such a thing as a meritocracy in the time I have been posting on this forum but I can't begin to tell you why I thought that because it's a monumentally stupid idea.

I mean really even if it worked hypothetically perfectly, you're still creating a stratified society, why? The smallest gear in a machine is no less important than the largest.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 29, 2017

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Meritocracy is the most centrist liberal thing and basically only exists as a concept so that they can justify their classicism and racism.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rkajdi posted:

Because we gave extra votes to hill filth via the electoral college. And again, if the meritocracy doesn't work you should fix it, not throw the idea of putting the most capable forward away.

How do you fix something you can't even determine?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

meritocracy is also where They Took Our Jobs comes from. I'd be fine if it wasn't for affirmative action. I deserve success but he dregs are dragging me down

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I saw another debate video with Destiny and Sargon, and holy poo poo, Sargon is SIGNIFICANTLY dumber than I gave him credit for.

The subject of the welfare state came up, which was in the context of why Black people are so goddamned lazy. Sargon, despite claiming to be "liberal" on the idea of a social safety net, nonetheless thinks it should be scaled back because according to him, too people are taking advantage of it. How many people? Sargon didn't go into specifics, but he wanted to assure Destiny (as well as the audience) that it was A LOT. And what study or report did he use to come to this conclusion? His own life experience! See, Sargon knows "lots" of people who take advantage of welfare, and that's pretty much the end of that. Case closed. Forever.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I still was. Sargon's a dummy, but he's also pretty much the intellectual head of the MRA movement. As such, I would figure he would at the very least resort to some bullshit study from some right-wing think tank like the Heritage Foundation, or hell, even Breitbart. But no, he just straight up offered nothing but anecdotal evidence and thought that was more than enough to prove his point. Like, loving seriously dude? Seriously? :psyboom:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I remember that I used to believe that there was such a thing as a meritocracy in the time I have been posting on this forum but I can't begin to tell you why I thought that because it's a monumentally stupid idea.

I mean really even if it worked hypothetically perfectly, you're still creating a stratified society, why? The smallest gear in a machine is no less important than the largest.

What no one who believes in meritocracy ever asks themselves is 'who gets to define what is merit and on what merit', because if you do that is the point where you realize why meritocracy is bullshit and just as arbitrary as anything else.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

I saw another debate video with Destiny and Sargon, and holy poo poo, Sargon is SIGNIFICANTLY dumber than I gave him credit for.

The subject of the welfare state came up, which was in the context of why Black people are so goddamned lazy. Sargon, despite claiming to be "liberal" on the idea of a social safety net, nonetheless thinks it should be scaled back because according to him, too people are taking advantage of it. How many people? Sargon didn't go into specifics, but he wanted to assure Destiny (as well as the audience) that it was A LOT. And what study or report did he use to come to this conclusion? His own life experience! See, Sargon knows "lots" of people who take advantage of welfare, and that's pretty much the end of that. Case closed. Forever.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I still was. Sargon's a dummy, but he's also pretty much the intellectual head of the MRA movement. As such, I would figure he would at the very least resort to some bullshit study from some right-wing think tank like the Heritage Foundation, or hell, even Breitbart. But no, he just straight up offered nothing but anecdotal evidence and thought that was more than enough to prove his point. Like, loving seriously dude? Seriously? :psyboom:

i would not be surprised if sargon has never read a book or even a single article from beginning to end in his life.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So, I'm sure Laci Green's been discussed to death. I never really liked her or was interested in her videos. But I always thought she had a job as a real life sex educator/speechafier. It seems strange that she would throw that away for becoming a David Rubin-esque shithead. Maybe the calls for paid speaking events dried up?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She got the College and PP gigs through her youtube videos, so they were always secondary engagements to her internet video work.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mr Interweb posted:

I saw another debate video with Destiny and Sargon, and holy poo poo, Sargon is SIGNIFICANTLY dumber than I gave him creditthe for.

That's literally the exact line the right-wing tabloids use wrt Benefits in Britain. Right down to the vague evidence and dogwhistling.

£10 Sargon reads The Scum.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SteelMentor posted:

£10 Sargon reads The Scum.
Not enough pictures in The Paper That Supported Hitler?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Guavanaut posted:

Not enough pictures in The Paper That Supported Hitler?

Everyday the Mail's editor finds an email waiting for them. All it says is "Oh my God, can't you condense this down to 5 mins etc etc".

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Urgghh that's quite a vertiginous view down into the kekhole.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Something that I've noticed more and more is that people don't feel the need to explain their positions intellectually or through factual or statistical evidence when it comes to certain things because the culture already agrees with them. In the UK you've got such a widespread amount of media attention on "benefit fraudsters" that people don't feel compelled provide evidence that it is in fact widespread

"Just read in the Express that this bloke from Romania came over here and hes been given 400k a week on benefits and was given a mansion and a pliant and beautiful young English wife to create children with and he doesn't even speak the language and also graduated from the Brasov College of Pick-Pocketing and Building Below Minimum Wage".

Maybe thats why I find people like Farage, Tommy Robinson and Sargon just so utterly tedious to listen to; they sound like absolutely every single right wing media outlet, and if you can fall back on them then who gives a poo poo about the actual reality of the situation? But of course, they're the underdogs saying what no one else wants to say.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I remember someone saying Russians think like that. They will say something usually conspiratorial is the reason for something and if you ask for anything to back up they laugh and says everyone knows Thing.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I remember someone saying Russians people in general think like that. They will say something usually conspiratorial is the reason for something and if you ask for anything to back up they laugh and says everyone knows Thing.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

rkajdi posted:

Because we gave extra votes to hill filth via the electoral college.
jesus loving christ

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's eternally frustrating how generally, the Left is given all the burden of proof and evidence for their claims, yet the Right will happily sling bullshit every-which-way and people will lap it up without a second thought or moment of criticism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gorn Myson posted:

Maybe thats why I find people like Farage, Tommy Robinson and Sargon just so utterly tedious to listen to; they sound like absolutely every single right wing media outlet, and if you can fall back on them then who gives a poo poo about the actual reality of the situation? But of course, they're the underdogs saying what no one else wants to say.
Yeah that's what I found so weird about when Milo first came on the scene and right-wingers were raving about how "he's revolutionary and the establishment hates him because he says the stuff that people don't dare" and I read a couple of his articles and came away thinking that he was the furthest from. He says the same thing as every other British right wing source. Richard Littlejohn isn't revolutionary, the establishment doesn't hate Paul Dacre, and your Tory great uncle at dinner after a couple of pints isn't saying anything new or interesting.

The only thing he ever said that was truly edgy and outside the scope of the generic tabloid right was when he said child abuse wasn't that bad. And normally the people saying that aren't going for edgy or revolutionary, they're just going for excusing child abuse.

I might find it interesting to read some modern generation thinker who did try to excuse the inexcusable, like presenting arguments for sex-selective abortion or against mixed-sex marriage or whatever, just because at least it would be something different, but warmed up Express op-eds isn't it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah that's what I found so weird about when Milo first came on the scene and right-wingers were raving about how "he's revolutionary and the establishment hates him because he says the stuff that people don't dare" and I read a couple of his articles and came away thinking that he was the furthest from. He says the same thing as every other British right wing source. Richard Littlejohn isn't revolutionary, the establishment doesn't hate Paul Dacre, and your Tory great uncle at dinner after a couple of pints isn't saying anything new or interesting.

The only thing he ever said that was truly edgy and outside the scope of the generic tabloid right was when he said child abuse wasn't that bad. And normally the people saying that aren't going for edgy or revolutionary, they're just going for excusing child abuse.

I might find it interesting to read some modern generation thinker who did try to excuse the inexcusable, like presenting arguments for sex-selective abortion or against mixed-sex marriage or whatever, just because at least it would be something different, but warmed up Express op-eds isn't it.

I'm pretty sure it was because he was gay. Much like how the right likes to latch on to any black person that makes white people feel good about discrimination.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjtc0zD-y4

I hear this guy is crazy but credit where it's due, he called out the bullshit.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

NikkolasKing posted:

Sargon probably was expecting Rogan to just let him off the hook like Rubin does with his guests, he isn't used to being called out for his bullshit.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BillBear posted:

Sargon probably was expecting Rogan to let him speak as a free and rational human being like Rubin does with his guests, he isn't used to being oppressed by the leftofascist SJW menace

ftfy

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

mojo1701a posted:

I'm pretty sure it was because he was gay. Much like how the right likes to latch on to any black person that makes white people feel good about discrimination.

It's more than just "gay". It's specifically because he's flamboyant and young people identify with him in addition to his being gay. Like no one cares about Andrew Sullivan (before he "betrayed the right") or any standard Log Cabin Republican.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Lightning Lord posted:

It's more than just "gay". It's specifically because he's flamboyant and young people identify with him in addition to his being gay. Like no one cares about Andrew Sullivan (before he "betrayed the right") or any standard Log Cabin Republican.

Also, he gave them validation for anti-lgbtq beliefs, telling people he gave them "permission" to say fag and that gay people were better off when they were forced to stay in the closet, not to mention all of the gross things he's said about trans people.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Carl doesn't call out any specific journalist in the same way he doesn't petition any particular university.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

With any specific demands

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BillBear posted:

Sargon probably was expecting Rogan to just let him off the hook like Rubin does with his guests, he isn't used to being called out for his bullshit.

Can't wait to see Sargon's subsequent video including Rogan as a card carrying member of the regressive left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the reaction after he bullied crowder (and apologized for it) on air was for people to call rogan a pot junkie

• Locked thread