Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
How do i deal with jechts triumphant grasp? Everything else is fine but he busts that out and whoever gets targetted better be in the back row or theyll get demolished.
Do i just have to get lucky with who he targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

RagnarokAngel posted:

How do i deal with jechts triumphant grasp? Everything else is fine but he busts that out and whoever gets targetted better be in the back row or theyll get demolished.

Does tauntaliate work on it? I had the same problem, he was one-shotting front row people through multiple debuffs, which cost me mastery by one medal. Not looking forward to doing that again.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Make sure that all party members are in the back row (so, magic or ranged physical damage*), keep everyone topped off otherwise, and you'll be fine. While Triumphant Grasp does do a lot of damage, it's limited to showing up in Overdrive phases which only last for a single turn. So if any given character can weather one shot of TG, you'll be able to heal them up before BFA can throw it again.

*Hopefully you have some good relics/weapons available in that vein; I had Yuna's BSB2, Braska's +MAG SSB, and Seymour's dark-imperil BSB. Between the triple-stacking +MAG and Raines RW, BFA melted on my first try.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does tauntaliate work on it? I had the same problem, he was one-shotting front row people through multiple debuffs, which cost me mastery by one medal. Not looking forward to doing that again.
No; Triumphant Grasp is NAT-typed. In fact the only attack you can drawtaliate for being PHY-typed is his regular unnamed attack; everything else (TG, Reaper, Jecht Beam, Jecht Bomber, Ultimate Jecht Shot) is NAT-typed.

Speaking of which, are there any guides I could use to look up enemy stats/AI on my own? Currently I'm limited to using incomplete FFRKCentral data or delayed-but-detailed reddit data.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I just use the JP event AI notes in the megathreads that show up as they seem to be fairly accurate, even if the names of abilities are different.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Grrr, the Legend Spheres are taunting me. After the Braska event, I am only 7 Bravery and Vitality spheres away from completing Ramza's Legend grid.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
its crazy that its going to take 200 5* nodes for every full legend dive. choose very wisely

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I beat the 300 3-man CM, with Champion.

Luneth(6* Onion Sword, Bartz cape): Armor Breakdown+Magic Breakdown(record dove for 4* support), Swordshower SSB
Refia(8* lust dagger): Meteor Crush(other ability not used), Dance of Carnage BSB
Alphinaud(Arc's SSB1 stick): Faith, Tiamat r3, Aerial Blast BSB(also had deployment tactics but didn't use, had +10 mag from it if it made a difference)
Onion Knight(Desch SSB sword): Full Break, Shellga, BSB+OSB
Tyro(whatever): Angelsong, Curaja, SG+BSB

RW: Ramza USB

Good gear probably put me over. Could have maybe used reflect but I don't know how easy that is to apply since it says he's "Resistant". But I didn't use anything after that would be reflected. Tiamat was hitting for 3 times for full damage, was great. Angelsong was awesome. In fact if I had protectga I'm not sure I would have ever had to use a heal for most of the fight.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 28, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i didn't even know we had angelsong... is that supposed to come for free in an event or?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you've got a source of Last Stand you can also ignore it through that.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
He's immune to Reflect on the 300 difficulty.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i didn't even know we had angelsong... is that supposed to come for free in an event or?

They released it just recently. Along with Eiko's record spheres. Not for free though! You gotta make it. But we have it now. It's served me great in both this fight and the Geryon CM. I realized that I could get rid of Arc and put in Luneth since with mitigation and angelsong I didn't need the group heal SSBs. So I had his swordshowers for the curing phase.

But we still don't have the bard motes!

Ah so he's immune then. I didn't understand what the description was saying, it sounded like it was saying it'd just be tough to put on him but you could use mind breakdown to make it easier. Oh well! Didn't need it anyway.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 28, 2017

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
Finally took a look at Legend Materia since it's been a few weeks of collection. I know it really depends on relics, etc, but it seems like Vanille and Cid Raines (BSBs) are a good spot to start on the mage side of things and Squall (BSB2/OSB) on the physical side. I know Ramza's a popular choice but I don't have his BSB/USB...not sure it's worth it on Shout/Chant, does his LM2 extend the crit buff in Chant?

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

Philouza posted:

Finally took a look at Legend Materia since it's been a few weeks of collection. I know it really depends on relics, etc, but it seems like Vanille and Cid Raines (BSBs) are a good spot to start on the mage side of things and Squall (BSB2/OSB) on the physical side. I know Ramza's a popular choice but I don't have his BSB/USB...not sure it's worth it on Shout/Chant, does his LM2 extend the crit buff in Chant?

I believe that it should. Not sure it would be my first choice, though.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Vaan and Y'shtola are my two picks for first Legend Dive. I got Vaan just 7 bravery motes away from that last sphere now. I got his BSB and OSB though I mostly just use the BSB. Since I've filled these spheres it's like he's on steroids. I might even go for his Legend Materia relic on the banner tomorrow since it's way better than his first LD sphere which sucks kind of.

He had been falling behind a little in damage lately with the tougher difficulties, but he's back up to speed now.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I blew all my motes on Celes after getting her LMR and wanting to stack spellblades like crazy, and I'm still a bit short of her LM2.

Probably should have gone for Ramza instead.

Ah well.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if I can clear the d300 CMs today then I'll be all caught up for whatever VII boss is out tomorrow

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I just cleared and mastered the D300 CM.

The relevant SBs here would be Cloud's OSB, Refia's BSB, Tyro using Wall, OK BSB, and Arc M-blink/shell/regen SSB.

This fight is basically requires two different DPSers. You need a very strong non-elemental DPS to knock him down to 40%. Refia provided that for me. Then, for the last 40% you absolutely need a very, very strong wind DPS, preferrably in OSB form so as to lessen the counter-healing that Bahamut does. You also need to do this quickly as well, because the bastard just goes on healing himself without countering as well. So, my spike DPS source was with Cloud's OSB under the influence of Luneth's BSB as an RW. The extra ATK boost on CMD2 coupled with the en-wind and the +wind gear I put on Cloud meant that each Finishing Touch hit 99999 damage. I still had to use all 3 charges of it in the end.

Tyro was in a pure support/heal role here. OK chipped in with his BSB (which I pulled only two days ago, thank loving god for that) and Swiftspell for early DPS. Then, once under 40% the Meltdowns were doing about 3x6500 damage, so enough to come out ahead on Bahamut's counter healing. As for Arc, his M-blink/shell/regen SSB was a godsend. It meant I got to completely negative 3 Megaflares, the constant regen really helped with the healing, and Shellga was icing on the cake and meant I didn't have to use an ability slot elsewhere on it.

You'll note that the only source of breaks I had were Armor Breakdown and Full Break. If you've got strong enough gear to provide extra RES, I don't think you need to burn ability slots on Power/Magic Breakdown. With Wall+Shellga I was still able to eat the occasional Megaflare and heal back up in time. Bahamut's physicals aren't really something to worry about unless he gibs one of your guys with one of his 4x physical attacks and focuses it on one person.

I think this thing gets a lot easier once Cloud USB RWs become a thing next week, but I'm really happy I was able to make this work today. Good luck to everyone on this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what other successful strats emerge.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Block with everyone when the jecht overdrive sign appears

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So I've got Full Break honed once to four uses and I have a bunch of other 5* Orbs starting to pile up. Roughly 20-25 of everything except Power, Lightning and Holy.

The realization that Orlandeau's OSB is pretty good has kind of shifted my primary team around him and he's in the mid 80s rapidly heading toward being my first 99. I'd like to craft a 5* ability to slot in his second ability slot with Lifesiphon as the obvious first. I was thinking Powerchain to speed up the OSB cast. I also read Powerchain into Lifesiphon better for building meter than 2x Lifesiphon.

Am I wildly off track? Are there any 5* abilities I should be eyeing once I get Full Break honed up to 6 uses?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

For Braska's Final Aeon, I brought Sazh's BSB and Ramza, stacked Fullbreak, Power BD, and Sazh's cmd1, which is atk/Def, and Triumphant Grasp went from a OHKO to 2/3rds of a front row character's health, which was not a problem since he can't toss them out one after another.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Randabis posted:

I still can't do it with Delita and don't think gilgamesh is very useful at all for the fight. Tauntilate isn't really doing much except getting him killed.

What level is your team. Thinking back on it I think my entire team was lvl 99. Which allowed me to eat the opening hits.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

BGrifter posted:

So I've got Full Break honed once to four uses and I have a bunch of other 5* Orbs starting to pile up. Roughly 20-25 of everything except Power, Lightning and Holy.

The realization that Orlandeau's OSB is pretty good has kind of shifted my primary team around him and he's in the mid 80s rapidly heading toward being my first 99. I'd like to craft a 5* ability to slot in his second ability slot with Lifesiphon as the obvious first. I was thinking Powerchain to speed up the OSB cast. I also read Powerchain into Lifesiphon better for building meter than 2x Lifesiphon.

Am I wildly off track? Are there any 5* abilities I should be eyeing once I get Full Break honed up to 6 uses?

Powerchain is a pretty good ability in general, but I dunno about PC->LS as being better than 2xLS. Even if it is a little faster at building gauge, it reduces the # of abilities you could potentially bring into a fight.

Full charge is a good 5* phys ability to pair with Orlandeau's OSB, since it's long charge time is negated by thunder god mode. A good cycle goes Powerchain -> OSB -> FC as much as you can.

It'll burn through hones pretty fast though, so probably think through RWs or hopefully get his BSB to really have some fun with his OSB.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Powerchain is nice to have for certain combos, but as a tool for Orlandeau OSB it's only useful for the first shot. (Beyond that you get Thunder God mode for 25 seconds which gives you 3x cast speed, and if you're using Orlandeau OSB once you're probably looking to chain it.)

As for 5* abilities:
  • R3 Full Break is a luxury at your current position. You'll eventually want it for reasons of throughput, but "eventually" refers to situations where you're either facing a really long fight or have to combo it with Affliction Break.
  • Multi Break is a necessity for AoE fights, bosses with vicious counterattacks, and/or situations where you're otherwise better served with Dancer X than Support Y. (Several of them have medicas, for instance.)
  • Chain -agas are the next step up from -ajas because they deal two hits of damage instead of one.
  • Ultra Cure is neat to have, if situational, as it also applies a free Esuna.
  • Spellblade Twinstrikes function similarly to Chain -agas in that they give more burst damage but on physical characters.
  • Full Charge + Powerchain is a good combo if the character in question doesn't have some better SB to use. (They also need 5* Combat + 5* Celerity, so the pool's a bit limited.) Keep an eye on this when Cloud USB comes out.
  • Lightning Dive does staggering amounts of damage on its own. (Make sure to hone Blood of the Wyvern to ignore the jump time on your dragoon abilities!) And if you have Kain's BSB it's even crazier between the lightning aura and the commands that both support continued LD use. (The first acts like BotW, while the second refreshes uses of your lowest ability.)
  • Monks have Meteor Crush and Samurai have Hailstorm for damage and buffing at the same time.
  • Witch spells are weird in that they warrant a certain amount of setup. Their innate multipliers are lower, but they do deal a lot more hits if you can still approach the damage cap.
  • Ninja spells are similar in this respect, though at least due to RES-piercing they're easier to set up with weakness + aura + decent MAG + buffing gear.
  • Darkness abilities like Dark Zone/Morbid Countdown/Reaping Scythe do loads of damage if you're Doomed, which of course you can set up with Death Throes or Memento Mori. (This also makes for easier hybrid teams.)
  • Thief's Revenge is non-elemental but does a lot of damage (and self-healing) on a character at 170+ SPD.
  • There are several other 5* multi-hit elemental abilities that are good for various elemental builds or for hitting weaknesses. The list is lengthy, but you can basically just look up anything I haven't written down above with elemental damage. (Note that I said "multi-hit"; Holy is dated by virtue of only dealing one hit.)
You may also want to invest in 6* abilities at some point.
  • Omega Drive does hilarious amounts of damage at sufficiently high ATK.
  • Affliction Break is a situational Support ability that will nonetheless save your bacon against status-heavy encounters.
  • Dervish is apparently getting buffed at some point? Right now it and its compatriot Northern Cross are lackluster. (The latter, more so because endgame content tends to be immune to interrupts.)
  • Lifebane is the weirder poor man's version of Omega Drive.
  • Snowspell Strike does even more elemental damage than 5* Spellblade abilities.
  • Mug Bloodlust is yet another stacking buff/debuff.
  • Meltdown does wild amounts of damage.
  • Curada grants HP Stock 2000, not to be sneezed at.
  • Valigarmanda is nice for a summon, though you'll still need hones to do well with it.
  • Stitch in Time is a stacking MAG buff for caster ninja setups (like Fujin et al.).

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just cleared D300 Bahamut with Mastery, full medals.

Setup and skills used:

Cloud (BSB2+OSB, Mirror of Equity)
Luneth (BSB, Dark Bargain)
Prishe (BSB, SSB, Shellga, Lifebane)
Vaan (BSB, Steal Power, Thief's Revenge)
Onion Knight (BSB, Onion Slice SSB, Full Break, Protectga)
RW Relm USB

Since I lacked anyone with particularly impressive non-elemental damage output, my strat instead was to forego bringing a healer, stack as much +ATK on my party and as much -DEF and -MAG on the boss as possible, and burn him down at a slower pace using burst commands. It worked surprisingly well - once I'd fully ramped into all my buffs and debuffs, I was dealing about 50~60k damage a turn from burst commands during the wind-neutral phase, with damage spikes when Vaan used Thief's Revenge (~15k instead of 8k burst command) and Prishe used Lifebane (~20k instead of 10k burst command). Once I got to the Wind-Weak phase, Cloud and Luneth's BSBs both hit for 9999x8 and Cloud's OSB hit the damage cap.

In addition to using both RW charges, I had to use two of Prishe's SBs to heal, so she had to just stand by defending at the end of the fight, but it didn't really matter. The only tricky part was surviving long enough to fully ramp up my offense; With this build I got it on my third try. I opened with Proshellga and everyone's ATK buffs before using Vessel of Fate and other SBs, I also timed my first Luneth and Cloud BSBs so that they didn't hit until Full Break and Expose were already applied. After Onion Slice hit he really started melting.

By the way I'm F2P, bask in my absurd gacha luck. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So once again: has anyone beaten the D300 without Cloud/Luneth OSB or Native Wall? I figure you can miss out on one or the other, but lacking both means gently caress you in particular.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man, D300 basically boiling down to 'how often does he use Megaflare' is pretty annoying. Especially the scripted double Megaflare at around 70%.

I've gotten him down to literally 1% (before he double Curaga'd), so it'd be cake if I could swap out one of the FFIII guys.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't understand why Raijin's stick is a hammer. Glad to see it, though.

7/22 on fest banners so far, no dupes yet

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
100 gem 3 star, 1/11 on the draw, which was Raijin's SSB. They can't all be winners after drawing Metamorph Claws and Sword of the Father in the first two banners!

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Budgeted one pull for banner 3, because of the obligatory Lightning BSB2 on it:

:dance: The Lightning USB+BSB2 is now complete! :dance:

...I guess I also now have Orlandeau's OSB now too.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Got a second Durandal for Asche... should I combine it? I feel like magic sword users aren't exactly common

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Got a second Durandal for Asche... should I combine it? I feel like magic sword users aren't exactly common

It's a +lightning sword with enough synergy attack to be useful for melee dudes, doesn't it? I'd not combine em unless you have good melee synergy already.

I sometimes use terra's blood sword as a +fire melee weapon if I don't need her.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I still have to beat the d250. Not having wind bsbs/osbs sucks.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Pander posted:

It's a +lightning sword with enough synergy attack to be useful for melee dudes, doesn't it? I'd not combine em.

The +lightning is only under synergy, I'm pretty sure.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

$1 5* - Raijin SSB.

Ehhhhh.

Not a dupe, but not super exciting given my already-rich FFVIII synergy. I don't really know if I'd ever slot him in just for that unless I REALLY needed last stand.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Dollah pull got me Rapha burst. Still not good enough to fit in my ridiculous Tactics team, and honestly only questionably good enough for my ridiculous lightning team. First World Problems.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

3/11

Shantotto CSB (dupe), Cypress Pole (dupe), Raijin SSB

Raijin last stand+regen is cool i guess but literally none of those I wanted lol...

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sesq posted:

Dollah pull got me Rapha burst. Still not good enough to fit in my ridiculous Tactics team, and honestly only questionably good enough for my ridiculous lightning team. First World Problems.

Isn't Rapha's BSB like flat-out the best lightning mage BSB in the game?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

it's like Raines BSB but the powerchain effect is replaced by a %heal.

Whether it's the best or not, all of the top mage relics benefit from its presence on your team

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Eh I guess but my lightning team is physical. But I guess I do have Ashe also. Another lightning mage would be nicer, but I suppose Lightning's got an imperil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sesq posted:

Eh I guess but my lightning team is physical. But I guess I do have Ashe also. Another lightning mage would be nicer, but I suppose Lightning's got an imperil.
if you're bringing an onion bsb for your physical characters, she'll hit the mag buff softcap in an otherwise physical party

• Locked thread