Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/SheaSerrano/status/880096473786060800

Also this stupid poo poo made me laugh

Jeff Goodman, ESPN Insider posted:

Spurs didn't show significant interest in Chris Paul, source told ESPN. Already have an aging point guard in Tony Parker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

i'm channeling my mental temecula right now

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In the interest of seeing the Warriors get beaten CP3 should have gone to the spurs IMO.

Or maybe Morey can pull off the PG13 trade without sacrificing too much, or something crazy like they get Drummond who figures out effort and free throws.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

chunkles posted:

i'm channeling my mental temecula right now
I'm drawing on all the methed out energies of the inland empire rn
https://twitter.com/SheaSerrano/status/880099161055559684

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Same but reverse and in the first round

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Lol who is going to guard Steph on houston? At least Beverley irritates him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Spite posted:

Uh CP3 is still one of the best defenders in the league

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spite posted:

Paul?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

There seems to be this weird idea among casual basketball fans that Chris Paul is washed.

Edit: not calling out spite in particular but rather just going off of my twitter timeline and texts from friends about the trade

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Hayward is meeting with the Heat on Saturday and the Jazz on Monday.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Ty1990 posted:

There seems to be this weird idea among casual basketball fans that Chris Paul is washed.

Edit: not calling out spite in particular but rather just going off of my twitter timeline and texts from friends about the trade

If you play too long without winning a ring certain fans write you off. I had a guy tell me recently that Melo was never really that good.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Spite posted:

Irritation is not defense. Chris Paul is still a top 10 PG defender in a way that Beverley has never been.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pubic works project posted:

Hayward is meeting with the Heat on Saturday and the Jazz on Monday.

When is he meeting with Boston

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Ty1990 posted:

I swear, I'm the eyes of the general public any player aged 29 or under is a young guy with limitless potential, and anyone over 30 is completely washed up. No one is immune to this, from the foreign guy you'll see in a single game in April to Lebron James himself.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

schweens posted:

If you play too long without winning a ring certain fans write you off. I had a guy tell me recently that Melo was never really that good.

Did you hit him with a stunner?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Where do you'll put Avery Bradley as a guard-defender

Do you agree with the players who say he's the best in the business
Or do you agree with the metrics that say he's okay
What's the census

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

euphronius posted:

When is he meeting with Boston

I haven't seen anything yet

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

quote:

Unloading Ryan Anderson to sign Paul outright would have helped Houston keep one of their outgoing guards, but the market for the three years and $60 million left on Anderson's deal was frigid. Not even the Kings wanted him for free. At least two teams would have demanded two Houston first-round picks in exchange for absorbing Anderson, according to several league sources.

Lowe confirms that absolutely no one wants Anderson's contract.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So weve proved no-defense stretch 4s are worth less than 3/60

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Where do you'll put Avery Bradley as a guard-defender

Do you agree with the players who say he's the best in the business
Or do you agree with the metrics that say he's okay
What's the census

I think IT tanks Bradley's metrics

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

chunkles posted:

Lowe confirms that absolutely no one wants Anderson's contract.

With a 2019 first round pick off the table in a deal and Vlade sniffing around Milsap it makes sense the Kings would pass

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Don't the metrics say Kawhi is not that special of a defender

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Tae posted:

Don't the metrics say Kawhi is not that special of a defender

By the numbers he was a negative defender for at least part of the year, and it was so glaringly wrong that it helped to refine the models

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Most Defensive Models Aren't Very Good

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Bradley makes lots of good plays but I see him do dumb poo poo like body up a guy outside the perimeter when they are in the penalty and give up 2 automatic free-throws.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

Dantoni only wanted melo to play pf

I think Paul and harden can convince him to pf it up

I will be flat amazed if the Knicks buy out Melo. They just fired their GM for trying it.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Bradley's 10/10 for on-ball defense and about 7/10 off-ball

Marcus Smart is 9/10 on both

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I distinctly remember a team defensive metric rating Isaiah Thomas/Jared Sullinger as one of the highest rated combo defensively in the league a couple years ago

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EvanTH posted:

I will be flat amazed if the Knicks buy out Melo. They just fired their GM for trying it.

Yeah. I doubt he was fired tho.

Ironically for phil he could probably have gotten MElo to waive his NTC for Houston now. Tick Tock. Timing is everything.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Social media makes the NBA great
https://twitter.com/its_whitney/status/880196577763119104

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nba players have enormously long arms.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
poo poo this was just Bev, Lou, and Dekker when I heard about it this morning

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/880148052836798464

:eyepop:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

IT done made Lance mad now.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I am amazed at how many people seem to have no idea how goddamn special of a talent Chris Paul really is.

I loathe the guy, but drat he is an incredible player. Great passer, great shooter, great ballhandler, great defender, great flopper, great whiner - the dude is top tier at every single aspect of NBA basketball.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I am Klay Thompson
https://streamable.com/tf6kw

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, most people here didn't watch the playoffs or something because you don't watch the Jazz/Clippers series where CP3 willed a bunch of minimum wage guys to 7 games against the Jazz and go "He's washed"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lance was really good in 13-14. Crazy how he lost it. But hes so young still maybe it still exists.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sheriff posted:

I swear, I'm the eyes of the general public any player aged 29 or under is a young guy with limitless potential, and anyone over 30 is completely washed up. No one is immune to this, from the foreign guy you'll see in a single game in April to Lebron James himself.

thank god Rose still has time to reach his potential

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Since CP3 opted into his deal instead of a new deal isn't he likely to screw himself long term? At his age it's a little risky not to go for the biggest longest deal possible. He is still great but Father Time catches point guards faster than big men, never know when he could have an injury that ruins him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Bulls and Rockets were in nearly identical positions a couple years ago. Mediocre team with a star. The rest is the work of their GMs.

• Locked thread