Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
Hey does any know of any good Urban Fantasy webcomics? Like something like Buffy/Angel/Supernatural/Dresden/Constantine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Manofmanusernames posted:

Hey does any know of any good Urban Fantasy webcomics? Like something like Buffy/Angel/Supernatural/Dresden/Constantine.
Wilde Life is more of a rural fantasy, but maybe it will work for you.

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my kid could draw that

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah but did they?

did you monetize your kids drawings?

are you disrupting Big Webcomic?

if not then get the gently caress out of this thread

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Also I can't reconcile how Shell can be dangerous but so goddamn stupid at the same time.

Insert US Government joke here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I tried reading it but it's too depressing for me to read page by page. Also I can't reconcile how Shell can be dangerous but so goddamn stupid at the same time.

It's a feature, not a bug. Shell is dangerous because they're stupid. The majority of the issues the kids have to deal with have come about purely because Lulenski and Rjinder are both idiots who are too desperate/proud to admit they've hosed up. So they just keep trying to put out the fire by smashing it with a hammer.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's the most realistic thing about the comic.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

city of doves posted:

my kid could draw that

wb

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a feature, not a bug. Shell is dangerous because they're stupid. The majority of the issues the kids have to deal with have come about purely because Lulenski and Rjinder are both idiots who are too desperate/proud to admit they've hosed up. So they just keep trying to put out the fire by smashing it with a hammer.

It's not just those two but the whole company that lets them operate, just takes Lulenski at her word when a boat crashes in the middle of the forest and apparently four children and the son of the boss of Shell die, lets kids and monster ghosts escape from their facility constantly, etc. Like, if this comic is supposed to be a giant love letter to Digimon Tamers well the secret organization in that was competent and actually ended up helping the kids in the end when they realized their fuckups but that doesn't seem to be the track the Shell folks are going down.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Insert US Government joke here.

They're explicitly not a government organization, I thought?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Sword Interval is great, if whitespace-happy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
After over a year of oddly happy-go-lucky post-apocalyptic puttering around, Stand Still Stay Silent is taking a sharp and immediate detour into Sadness Town.

The gang is going to disintegrate fast with their interpreter dead.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

After over a year of oddly happy-go-lucky post-apocalyptic puttering around, Stand Still Stay Silent is taking a sharp and immediate detour into Sadness Town.

The gang is going to disintegrate fast with their interpreter dead.

have they committed more hate crimes?

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Nuns with Guns posted:

They're explicitly not a government organization, I thought?

No, but you can draw pretty direct parallels between Shell and, e.g. MKUltra. The inevitable result of a fuzzy mandate, massive funding, little oversight, and unethical practices.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Vibe sounds like exactly what you're looking for, but it's on indefinite hiatus with no return in sight. What's there is still really good though, and while it ends leaving you wanting more it at least ends at the end of a chapter instead of mid dialogue or something. Might be worth checking out anyway?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is sorceror 101 still running? i got distracted a few years ago and never caught up

i bring it up because its v urban fantasy, that is to say vampires mages and werewolves

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 28, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

nine-gear crow posted:

This is one of the things I like about Kiwi Blitz, too.

Jones has bitten off way more than she can chew and is basically doomed, but she's still very capable of killing all the main characters before she self-destructs because it isn't going to occur to her to cut her losses.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tollymain posted:

is sorceror 101 still running? i got distracted a few years ago and never caught up

i bring it up because its v urban fantasy, that is to say vampires mages and werewolves

Forgot about that one! It just ended recently, but yeah that fits the criteria pretty well too, v dresden-like.

Link for the lazy

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Forgall posted:

Wilde Life is more of a rural fantasy, but maybe it will work for you.

missed this, but yeah wilde life is good

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's not just those two but the whole company that lets them operate, just takes Lulenski at her word when a boat crashes in the middle of the forest and apparently four children and the son of the boss of Shell die, lets kids and monster ghosts escape from their facility constantly, etc. Like, if this comic is supposed to be a giant love letter to Digimon Tamers well the secret organization in that was competent and actually ended up helping the kids in the end when they realized their fuckups but that doesn't seem to be the track the Shell folks are going down.

Actually, it kind of is. Hypnos in Tamers was about as stupid as Shell is when it came to their alleged area of expertise before they wised up, and it took Yamaki nearly causing Digital Third Impact, strangling a child in a fit of rage, and then getting fired to realize he'd hit rock bottom and it was time to change.

The way things are going right now in the comic, Rjinder and Lulenski are either going to finally pull their heads out of their rear end and start making amends for their sins, or one or both of them is about to become the comic's definitive capital-V Villain and just loving lose it. I'm hoping for the former, but the latter is still fascinating as hell too.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 28, 2017

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

How about : http://www.ghosthunterorg.com/comic/the-ghost-dog-000/ ?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

???

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Today's Stand Still, Stay Silent belongs in a very sad art gallery.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

betamax hipster posted:

No, but you can draw pretty direct parallels between Shell and, e.g. MKUltra. The inevitable result of a fuzzy mandate, massive funding, little oversight, and unethical practices.

I don't know if I'd immediately jump to one of the CIA's more rigorous attempts at mastering torture/mind control over the sort of widespread covert ~experimental weapons~ tests that are real and also common plot hooks in every media.

nine-gear crow posted:

Actually, it kind of is. Hypnos in Tamers was about as stupid as Shell is when it came to their alleged area of expertise before they wised up, and it took Yamaki nearly causing Digital Third Impact, strangling a child in a fit of rage, and then getting fired to realize he'd hit rock bottom and it was time to change.

The way things are going right now in the comic, Rjinder and Lulenski are either going to finally pull their heads out of their rear end and start making amends for their sins, or one or both of them is about to become the comic's definitive capital-V Villain and just loving lose it. I'm hoping for the former, but the latter is still fascinating as hell too.

The government organization in Tamers ultimately wanted to protect Earth from digimon because it perceived them as dangerous (they were) and Yamaki thought they were unstable, rogue computer programs that shouldn't be in the hands of kids (he was sort of right). It didn't help that the digimon that spontaneously spawned on Earth tended to be evil and would start killing people and damaging lots property right away.

Shell's goal has been to weaponize and profit off the monster body parts they created and already has way more dead kids on its hands than the Tamers organization ever did while somehow being way worse at preventing all of the ghost things and children from escaping from their labs, figuring out the children that live nearby on the same island aren't dead, monsters live in a boat of theirs that crashed in the woods, etc. Rjinder and Lulenski are more sympathetic because they're the only two in Shell who are visibly going crazy from the strain of working on such bullshit, and the reader can waive off some of their awful choices on that, but I'm not sold on the particular way Shell's incompetence vs evilness is set up to let the "kids and their monster friends" plot work in this case.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
this is a good thread

https://twitter.com/ABigBagOfKeys/status/879398284384587776

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God. So many ugly Crtl-Alt-Del pages.

Loss.jpg literally is the most artistic thing Tim Buckley ever produced.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Never seen this one before.

https://twitter.com/phil1/status/879773984358780928

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I never really "got" Twitter but this is making a hell of a case to use it more

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

quote:

- So what do you miss most about being Queen of hell?
- The outfits. What do you miss most about being a horse?
- Cantering.

I could read Scary-Go-Round forever, you guys.

nine-gear crow posted:

Loss.jpg literally is the most artistic thing Tim Buckley ever produced.
I'll have to agree. Defining exactly what kind of art, I have no idea. How do you even define something so awful that it's parodies/derivatives inspire such genuine creativity?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
how is scary go round so consistently very very good?

i have friends that routinely read questionable content but won't read scary go round.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hugo & Fallon are married now! :kimchi:

I wonder if the others will have been redesigned, too. And of course The Boy would wear a bowtie if he could get away with it.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Jesus that SSSS update.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
As depressing as the update is, Tuuri's animal form is adorable

I also wonder who's going to be more wracked with guilt. Sigrun over letting the troll get inside the tank in the first place due to her neglected injury or Lalli once he realizes he might have motivated her to do it by saying that her soul wouldn't be able to pass on once she had turned.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 29, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

This is incredible and horrible. Thank you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slashrat posted:

As depressing as the update is, Tuuri's animal form is adorable

I also wonder who's going to be more wracked with guilt. Sigrun over letting the troll get inside the tank in the first place due to her neglected injury or Lalli once he realizes he might have motivated her to do it by saying that her soul wouldn't be able to pass on once she had turned.

Sigrun is pretty sanguine about people getting killed on the field. Lalli's going to be a wreck, if only because Tuuri was the only person on the team that he could remotely tolerate. He's already blaming himself for her injury, because it was his initial scouting error all those pages ago that let the trolls ambush them in the first place.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

do we know if the Shredded Moose guys are dead yet

Actually, don't answer that. I can dream.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
i am a bit concerned over what that Swan that Tuuri is following is supposed to be...

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Well today I learned that El Goonish Shive, which is somehow still running, is trying to upgrade from transformation fetish comic to actually talking about trans stuff and it's so bad at it.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 29, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

i am a bit concerned over what that Swan that Tuuri is following is supposed to be...

It's the Swan of Tuonela, basically Sundberg's version of the Grim Reaper.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pavlov posted:

Well today I learned that El Goonish Shive, which is somehow still running, is trying to upgrade from transformation fetish comic to actually talking about trans stuff and it's so bad at it.
Dare I ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I haven't read the thing in years, but it's posted there in the twitter thread. The comic has had people swapping genders for like 15 years, and only now suddenly has characters going "What is this... 'transgender' thing you speak of?"

• Locked thread