Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Apparently Tillerson is having trouble keeping it together:

Politico posted:

Tillerson blows up at top White House aide
The secretary of state, frustrated by negative press coverage and delays in appointing staff, unleashed his anger in front of Reince Priebus, Jared Kushner and others.
By JOSH DAWSEY , ELIANA JOHNSON and ALEX ISENSTADT 06/28/2017 08:04 PM EDT

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s frustrations with the White House have been building for months. Last Friday, they exploded.

The normally laconic Texan unloaded on Johnny DeStefano, the head of the presidential personnel office, for torpedoing proposed nominees to senior State Department posts and for questioning his judgment.

Tillerson also complained that the White House was leaking damaging information about him to the news media, according to a person familiar with the meeting. Above all, he made clear that he did not want DeStefano’s office to “have any role in staffing” and “expressed frustration that anybody would know better” than he about who should work in his department – particularly after the president had promised him autonomy to make his own decisions and hires, according to a senior White House aide familiar with the conversation.

The episode stunned other White House officials gathered in chief of staff Reince Priebus’s office, leaving them silent as Tillerson raised his voice. In the room with Tillerson and DeStefano were Priebus, top aide Jared Kushner and Margaret Peterlin, the Secretary of State’s chief of staff.

The encounter, described by four people familiar with what happened, was so explosive that Kushner approached Peterlin afterwards and told that Tillerson’s outburst was completely unprofessional, according to two of the people familiar with the exchange, and told her that they needed to work out a solution.

“Colleagues are capable of frank exchanges,” said R.C. Hammond, a State Department spokesman, when asked about the disagreement. “Evaluating nominees did get off to a slow start, but it is now moving along at a pretty good clip.”

It was the loudest manifestation yet of how frustrated Tillerson is in his new role. He has complained about the White House’s attempts to push personnel on him; about the president’s tweets; and about the work conditions in a West Wing where he sometimes finds loyalty and competence hard to by. Above all, the former Exxon Mobil CEO accustomed to being the final word on both personnel and policy in his corporate life, has balked at taking orders from political aides both younger and less experienced than he is.

Disputes between the White House and a Cabinet secretary, particularly over personnel, isn’t unusual. The Obama White House told Hillary Clinton that her friend Sidney Blumenthal couldn’t join her at the State Department. Other secretaries in Trump’s Cabinet have also clashed with DeStefano, who has a difficult job of balancing White House requests, political considerations and headstrong Cabinet secretaries, many with executive experience.

“It’s very common that there would be some tensions and some tussles between the White House and departments or agencies about senior personnel decisions,” said Matthew Waxman, a senior official in the State Department and National Security Council under President George W. Bush. “It’s just very abnormal that these issues wouldn’t be worked out more quickly.”

Waxman, now a Columbia University professor, said the fights are likely harder for a cabinet secretary like Tillerson, who is accustomed to supreme control as a CEO. “But we have a system of government where political appointments run very, very deep,” he said. “It’s the way the system works. The White House has the final say.”

Tillerson’s frustration with the White House’s meddling began early and has been a persistent issue. “He went into this with a very negative attitude towards the White House,” said a former senior State Department official familiar with his thinking, who recounted that during the transition, Tillerson opposed a candidate proposed by Trump’s team simply on the grounds that Trump’s team was proposing him.

He has sometimes conducted talks with potential job candidates without telling the White House, said one person familiar with his actions. Tillerson has told senior officials that Trump promised him autonomy, and that he wanted it, according to people who have spoken to him.

“Rex is a 65-year-old guy who worked his way up from the bottom at Exxon, and he chafes at the idea of taking orders from a 38-year-old political operative,” said a former transition aide who worked closely with Tillerson.

DeStefano worked for years as a senior adviser to former House Speaker John Boehner before he joined the Trump administration, where he has struggled to fill thousands of jobs across the government, though the pace has quickened in recent weeks.

Where Tillerson is concerned, the frustration goes both ways. Many of his proposed nominees have been rejected by DeStefano’s Office of Presidential Personnel either because they are Democrats or because they are Republicans who were critical of Trump during the campaign. Though Brian Hook, the director of policy planning, told associates several weeks ago that the department had several people in the pipeline, few have been announced since, and the White House continues to resist Tillerson’s choices.

He’s also faced resistance to leaning on civil servants. The White House has opposed the nomination of Bill Brownfield, currently the assistant secretary for international narcotics and law enforcement affairs, to be assistant secretary for Western Hemisphere Affairs.

Tillerson has also expressed his desire to nominate Susan Thornton, a career foreign service officer now serving as the acting assistant secretary in the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs, to take over the job in an official capacity – a move the White House has resisted, saying they want a political person in the role.

“If the secretary is putting forward a nominee such as Susan, he is doing it because he believes she's the most qualified and best fit for the position,” said Tillerson spokesman Hammond. “In this particular case he has the experience of working with her since she has been on the job since February. That includes a trip to Beijing, a visit from the Chinese president to Mar a Lago, and the first of a series of four dialogues.”

The secretary has additionally clashed with the White House over ambassadors, according to several people familiar with the conversations, and some of the conversations are ongoing.

Tillerson has also drawn criticism for isolating himself – with the help of Peterlin, his chief of staff – in his office on the State Department’s seventh floor and for cutting many career diplomats out of the policymaking process. That has frustrated the White House because even the president’s senior aides have had difficulty reaching him at times.

His leadership of the State Department seems a vast departure from his stewardship of Exxon, where he was considered a kinder, gentler executive than his predecessor, the combative and bombastic Lee Raymond. Asked about how to lead a large organization during a time of crisis, he told students at his alma mater, the University of Texas early last year: “You do have to communicate in times like this and you have to be visible.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/28/tillerson-blows-up-at-white-house-aide-240075

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really don't understand why Tillerson is still in that job. Clearly Trump doesn't care for him much, he's miserable in the job, and nobody tells him anything. Now he's basically below goddamn Jared Kushner, who has even less international policy experience than Tillerson does.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

B B posted:

The encounter, described by four people familiar with what happened,

I love when they add stuff like this to show just how leaky this white house is.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

B B posted:

Apparently Tillerson is having trouble keeping it together:

He's the only sane one in the piss bucket. Still, hard to feel sorry for him since he ran a company who lied about how badly it's loving over future generations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't understand why Tillerson is still in that job. Clearly Trump doesn't care for him much, he's miserable in the job, and nobody tells him anything. Now he's basically below goddamn Jared Kushner, who has even less international policy experience than Tillerson does.

He has to get the oil.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

FlamingLiberal posted:

Because we're only 6 months in and he doesn't want to be the first cabinet member to quit? I guess "first cabinet member to quit" might change from a negative to a positive in his mind if he gets pissed off enough, though.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/FuzzBeedEli/status/880140553614237697

gregday
May 23, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But he has no control when that will happen. It doesn't mean his ticking was fake, it just means whatever he saw is still not public. It could even mean it's part of an investigation instead of a news story.

Yeah. I don’t think we are disagreeing on anything. My only point was to say that he hasn’t posted the Boom link yet so whatever the tick was about hasn’t dropped yet. And possibly won’t ever I suppose.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This is kind of great :allears:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

I want to peelieve...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Probably nothing political but quite an explosion all the same....

https://twitter.com/MurrayStateNews/status/880190867943944192

A few pages back, but that phone is a trooper holy poo poo.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pollyanna posted:

Did that Wittes thing ever drop?

No.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I have no idea why this was so hilarious to me but I loved it.

I mean, any scenario in which Sean Hannity (or Mola Ram) shits himself to death is gonna pretty drat funny.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I wonder if Tillerson just glares at his wife whenever he's home.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Ghosts in the white house!

:spooky:

http://www.charismamag.com/site-archives/570-news/featured-news/10848-bodybuilder-turned-evangelist-dennis-tinerino-dies

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Wouldn't it be a Kekisocracy? ;)

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's an incredibly important and powerful position, maybe the most so next to the actual office of the president when it comes to foreign affairs. Or, it would be, if it wasn't under the Trump White House.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

HappyHippo posted:

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/880203396086681600

Of course. He probably doesn't even know the broad overview of the bill.
Trump is a quantum being. You can't know what he believes in until you directly observe him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are there really still people who don't realize that Trump agrees with whomever he spoke to last?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

There was an anecdote early in All The President's Men about people who had condos at the Watergate, toasting and cheering on the cops as they teargassed protestors

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I wonder if they will actually just try and repeal without replace bill under reconciliation. It's genius in a way. They would be able to go "welp, democrats stopped us so, therefore, it's all their fault." That'd be enough to get the drooling masses slobbering on their 80 year old dicks. It's unfortunate we live in a nation of goldfish who proudly forget how badly their politcians just tried to gently caress them.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Covok posted:

I wonder if they will actually just try and repeal without replace bill under reconciliation. It's genius in a way. They would be able to go "welp, democrats stopped us so, therefore, it's all their fault." That'd be enough to get the drooling masses slobbering on their 80 year old dicks. It's unfortunate we live in a nation of goldfish who proudly forget how badly their politcians just tried to gently caress them.

I mean a certain percentage will go with that, but I think you underestimate the chunk of Americans who just don't pay much attention but blame whoever is in power at the time.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A repeal without replace would lose every "moderate" Republican's support.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Eltoasto posted:

I mean a certain percentage will go with that, but I think you underestimate the chunk of Americans who just don't pay much attention but blame whoever is in power at the time.

Yeah, we have a Republican president now so "Things Bad" = "Republicans bad".

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

But your employer pays for that right?

Or are your out-of-pockets going up too?

There is no insurance plan in america or anywhere else where your employer pays for your insurance except Congress. All employer insurance is just a hmo network of employees that collectively bargains on your behalf then takes the money to pay for it from your check before you get it, innit

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Only Congress are the true welfare queens that live off the Taxpayer's dollar to gently caress them over.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It is coming

This is guy who did painting of Obama with his foot on Constitution and a crying soldier eating a gay wedding cake is doing a Trump one.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Quoting myself because it's good

Also this:

https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/880222838111784960

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BarbarianElephant posted:

Forcing internet vendors to pay tax is maybe something the *President* might achieve, if he set his mind to it, instead of whining about it.

Our President is the equivalent of a brokebrains E/N Goon.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's the one the Russians wanted?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In fun world news: the Petya ransomware attack from yesterday is looking more and more like it was a cyberweapon deployed to harvest credentials from and wipe as many computers in Ukraine as possible. The ransomware angle was just cover to keep the media busy - the worm just overwrites the master file table instead of encrypting it and the "installation ID" displayed supposedly to allow the device to de identified for decryption is literally just a randomly generated number.
Another analysis if you don't trust Kaspersky

Signs are also pointing to the initial distribution being performed via hijacking the automatic update function of an accounting program which is business are essentially required to use by the government of Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/marasawr/status/879811881850064896

Rosneft was reportedly infected but somehow miraculously managed to stop the worm (which can easily infect tens of thousands of computers within minutes) by switching to "reserve" systems. Also anecdotally yesterday I noticed that MAGA-bot accounts on twitter were posting about how absurd blaming this on Russia is, despite there being essentially no blame being leveled at that moment.

So yeah Russia just essentially looted and then neutron-bombed Ukraine's tax and accounting systems with a side effect of burning everyone involved economically in Ukraine.

Or maybe it was some 400lb hacker in New Jersey.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

evilweasel posted:

They've been noticeably tacking right and trying to take Fox viewers.

MSNBC stealing fox news viewers and showing them news that has a bias then thats an improvement over the current status quo of fox news propaganda

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

In fun world news: the Petya ransomware attack from yesterday is looking more and more like it was a cyberweapon deployed to harvest credentials from and wipe as many computers in Ukraine as possible. The ransomware angle was just cover to keep the media busy - the worm just overwrites the master file table instead of encrypting it and the "installation ID" displayed supposedly to allow the device to de identified for decryption is literally just a randomly generated number.
Another analysis if you don't trust Kaspersky

Signs are also pointing to the initial distribution being performed via hijacking the automatic update function of an accounting program which is business are essentially required to use by the government of Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/marasawr/status/879811881850064896

Rosneft was reportedly infected but somehow miraculously managed to stop the worm (which can easily infect tens of thousands of computers within minutes) by switching to "reserve" systems. Also anecdotally yesterday I noticed that MAGA-bot accounts on twitter were posting about how absurd blaming this on Russia is, despite there being essentially no blame being leveled at that moment.

So yeah Russia just essentially looted and then neutron-bombed Ukraine's tax and accounting systems with a side effect of burning everyone involved economically in Ukraine.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
if Tillerson quits I guess in addition to FBI director we won't have a secretary of state either for the next 3 years

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nachos posted:

if Tillerson quits I guess in addition to FBI director we won't have a secretary of state either for the next 3 years

Maybe he'll offer the job to Mitt Romney.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

empty whippet box posted:

Maybe he'll offer the job to Mitt Romney.

I mean, I think I'd rather have Mitt than Tillerson, but maybe that's like saying I'd rather have tuberculosis than cholera. Hilary was the chronic plaque psoriasis of SoS'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A real American hero.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/880236901030080517

quote:

In the video, the sky is dark and the Arkansas Capitol's dome is visible. Music is heard followed by a female voice, likely on the radio, saying, "Where do you go when you're faced with adversity and trials and challenges?" The driver is then heard growling, "Oh my goodness. Freedom!" before accelerating into the monument. The vehicle's speedometer is last shown at 21 mph (33 kph) and then a collision can be heard.

This is the same guy who took out the Oklahoma state capitol's statue 3 years ago

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

A real American hero.

This is the same guy who took out the Oklahoma state capitol's statue 3 years ago

This man needs one of those funding campaigns 'cause I imagine he's in a bit of hot water

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

"Ewwww, GAY CAKE. It looks the same, but I can tell the difference."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

FlamingLiberal posted:

A real American hero.

This is what patriotism looks like

• Locked thread