Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
CrossVR, the ReVive guy, set up a patreon here , and that one guy some people love to hate donated 2k a month, which is really cool.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/CloudheadGames/status/880174695781249024

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Poetic Justice posted:

CrossVR, the ReVive guy, set up a patreon here , and that one guy some people love to hate donated 2k a month, which is really cool.

That is cool. He's still a twat, but nobody is 100% awful. Just maybe 80%.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Poetic Justice posted:

I tried tossing in $2 and I got a "It looks like you don't have permission to pledge to CrossVR." message, what?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This looks sweet

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Poetic Justice posted:

Then why is it only at 1900 a month?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

:shrug: I would assume taxes and patreons cut?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Minus Patreon's 5% cut and then add the piddly amounts that everyone other than Palmer is giving.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How is 360 roomscale 3x sensor setup for the Rift looking? Considering poopin out a third sensor.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dongattack posted:

How is 360 roomscale 3x sensor setup for the Rift looking? Considering poopin out a third sensor.

Works great for me, I would say 3 sensors is pretty much a requirement at this point.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Lemming posted:

Works great for me, I would say 3 sensors is pretty much a requirement at this point.

Did you have any tracking/USB bandwidth issues? I had to get one of those USB cards to get the two sensors + headset to play nice, but i hear they have been working on the tracking also.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Did you have any tracking/USB bandwidth issues? I had to get one of those USB cards to get the two sensors + headset to play nice, but i hear they have been working on the tracking also.

I seemed to at first (I'd get a notification that something was wrong, the yellow triangle even if the tracking seemed ok) so I kept fiddling with it until I settled on a combination of a particular set of 2 x 3.0 and 1 x 2.0 slots, and haven't had any trouble with it for months. I'm just using this motherboard with no extra USB cards https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K23BW70/

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Lemming posted:

I seemed to at first (I'd get a notification that something was wrong, the yellow triangle even if the tracking seemed ok) so I kept fiddling with it until I settled on a combination of a particular set of 2 x 3.0 and 1 x 2.0 slots, and haven't had any trouble with it for months. I'm just using this motherboard with no extra USB cards https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K23BW70/

Cool! Thank you. I'm gonna go for it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Wait, I must have lied. This mobo only has 2 x 3.0 slots? And one is used for the headset. Idk it works fine either way

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dongattack posted:

Works perfectly for me.
I accidentally ended up with 3 sensors as I didn't realise Touch came with one. I am really glad though, I've used the Vive a lot and I'd say it's comparable. I know the size of the room is bigger with the Vive but I am in a smallish nerd cave so it's all good.
Tracking is great and I have all my USBs hooked up to my motherboard.
I can walk around the bridge of my ship in Elite as the docking computer lands me, and yes I have done this and yes it was geeky but very cool indeed!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Lemming posted:

Same, but I run 4. Works good.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Had there been any indication of a "gen 2" for Oculus or Vive?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

PerrineClostermann posted:

No. The earliest anyone is likely to see a next gen Tier 1 HMD is going to be christmas 2018, IF that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PerrineClostermann posted:

Like rage-saq said, there are some new headsets coming out this fall. I don't know if there is any word on if they will be better than the Rift or Vive in any way. Phil Spencer said during E3 that they would probably be cheaper, so I think parity with Rift and Vive are the best they will be. Rift 2 and Vive 2 don't have any dates. They are definitely being worked on and every once in a while someone posts an article about "VIVE 2 IS COMING" but they pretty much always say "HTC is working on the next Vive" which is obvious. If you are waiting for Gen 2 VR, you'll be waiting for a while. It is most definitely not "just around the corner" like a lot of people who haven't tried VR keep saying. Those same people were confident the second Rift would be out holiday 2016.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even in the PSVR thread people were predicting that PSVR 2 would get announced at E3 this year. Like :wtf: is everyone smoking that they want this brand new tech to be updated already or assume it's happening soon?

Gen 2 VR will be amazing but I can't imagine seeing it available to buy before 2019 personally. Why would anyone want a small update on what we currently have available.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've been betting on 2018 since the 2016 release. A 2-2.5 year cycle is pretty normal for early stuff.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Cojawfee posted:

Like rage-saq said, there are some new headsets coming out this fall. I don't know if there is any word on if they will be better than the Rift or Vive in any way. Phil Spencer said during E3 that they would probably be cheaper, so I think parity with Rift and Vive are the best they will be. Rift 2 and Vive 2 don't have any dates. They are definitely being worked on and every once in a while someone posts an article about "VIVE 2 IS COMING" but they pretty much always say "HTC is working on the next Vive" which is obvious. If you are waiting for Gen 2 VR, you'll be waiting for a while. It is most definitely not "just around the corner" like a lot of people who haven't tried VR keep saying. Those same people were confident the second Rift would be out holiday 2016.

The only complete VR systems that MAY be coming out in 2017 are the LG "Vive+" which has a slightly increased resolution and slimmer vive wands and the Microsoft VR products, which are going to run the board of mediocre tier2 to slightly-better-than-mediocre-tier2.

If the LG "Vive+" comes in at a price point comparable to the Vive and is compatible with the upcoming knuckles controller it will obsolete the Vive, but the Rift will still compete on price. The difference with the LG isn't expected to be all that huge, and if it slips to 2Q 2018 it might only beat real gen2 VR by 6-8 months, which would make it fairly obsolete as well.

Nobody else has announced an upcoming complete PC VR system that is poised to make it into the tier1 VR space exclusively occupied right now by the Vive and Rift that will be coming out anytime soon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Even in the PSVR thread people were predicting that PSVR 2 would get announced at E3 this year. Like :wtf: is everyone smoking that they want this brand new tech to be updated already or assume it's happening soon?

Gen 2 VR will be amazing but I can't imagine seeing it available to buy before 2019 personally. Why would anyone want a small update on what we currently have available.

To be fair, there are some very obvious and simple upgrades that Sony could make to the PSVR that don't involve major changes in tech or demanding more than the PS4 is capable of. A new processor box that can pass HDR. A Move controller with better sensors. Move 2.0 with updated buttons and an analog stick if they want to really do us a solid (or just support the Move Navigation controller). Any of these could be put together in less than a year and address one or more failings of the platform.

Too bad they chose to spend that time on the Aim controller and then manufacture exactly five of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah but that's new peripherals. I'd like to see those too and I'm sure they are likely , but that's not the same as scrapping a 9 month old headset for no reason.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think an issue also is, say if Oculus suddenly came out with an 8k Rift or whatever, that's great and everything but I only know literally three people with PCs that can run VR now.
I'd be happier if for the next year headset makers strove to drive down prices rather than released (big) upgrades.
I know that is anecdotal and that's bad, but I guess my point is PC VR is the nichest of the lot, even though it's the best and it'd be odd to outstrip the current best GPUs (I'm thinking about 1080s here) in a premature effort to up the resolution. I don't think there is a huge rush, which really is a good thing I guess.
Jesus I got bored even typing that sorry for rambling.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

I think an issue also is, say if Oculus suddenly came out with an 8k Rift or whatever, that's great and everything but I only know literally three people with PCs that can run VR now.
I'd be happier if for the next year headset makers strove to drive down prices rather than released (big) upgrades.
I know that is anecdotal and that's bad, but I guess my point is PC VR is the nichest of the lot, even though it's the best and it'd be odd to outstrip the current best GPUs (I'm thinking about 1080s here) in a premature effort to up the resolution. I don't think there is a huge rush, which really is a good thing I guess.
Jesus I got bored even typing that sorry for rambling.

I agree, the technology still needs to catch up in terms of cost. It's not going to break into the mainstream until it's significantly easier to use and significantly cheaper, so yearly updates or whatever aren't going to be worth the R&D

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

veni veni veni posted:

That it's lacking in many aspects that make the current gen only appeal to a very niche market, which in turn makes serious content creators less inclined to produce great VR experiences. Everyone wants some new product that that breaks the deadlock and brings VR into the mass market really.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm thinking a headset with foveated rendering could do 4k with the current batch of graphics cards?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Exioce posted:

I'm thinking a headset with foveated rendering could do 4k with the current batch of graphics cards?

Maybe, and it's all degrees of performance as well, but say for me I can play something like Project Cars and it looks glorious, but at 4k per eye or whatever I dunno, it'd struggle. Stuff like Superhot would be fantastic but I'd sooner have Project Cars running smoothly at the res we have now than Superhot at 8k, if that makes sense.

I'd like those resolutions to come when I know I can go get a GPU that'll do Project Cars etc, until then I am in no massive rush

Lemming posted:

I agree, the technology still needs to catch up in terms of cost. It's not going to break into the mainstream until it's significantly easier to use and significantly cheaper, so yearly updates or whatever aren't going to be worth the R&D

Luckily I think the screen tech and GPU tech are in sync, leapfrogging each other in quite a decent time frame, so it will all come good, it's not like either one is a crazy impossible dream or anything.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 29, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

There is some buzz around this Varjo headset that apparently has a mechanical (a small high density screen that targets your focus as opposed to a complete high density screen that renders depending on your focus) solution to foveated rendering. They are currently claiming that dev kits ship Q4 2017.

However the only demonstrations that have been seen is with a static setup; ie the 'high resolution' section of the screen is directly in the centre and doesn't move. I guess I'll believe it when I see more demos. If it works it is a much cheaper solution, you can just keep the shoddy screens for rendering the whole image and just add one small, moving high density.

https://www.wired.com/story/varjo-vr-microdisplay/
https://twitter.com/all_VR/status/880504159040131082

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 29, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah the current prototype is a hacked Rift CV1 with their micro displays mounted on the top and bouncing off a two way mirror placed in the eye pieces. IDK how they're gonna move the mirror to facilitate eye tracking, sounds hard. I'm kinda skeptical and I have no idea what the product they're gonna sell later this year is if they don't have a headset design of their own

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Exioce posted:

This comes up a lot, but people don't really know what kind of pixel load current Tier1 (Vive/Rift) HMDs put on the GPU, because it is already quite a bit higher than the HMD resolution that the Oculus and SteamVR runtimes apply by default. See the chart below.

Both the Vive and the Rift apply a 1.4x supersampling by default to improve the image quality, which makes the effective GPU rendering load equivilant to 3024x1680. Many people will increase their supersampling level further than that to improve the image quality. In say Onward for example, a 1070 can handle about a 1.4x supersampling level (SteamVR has changed their supersampling number, so its important to focus on the effective pixels), which equates to 4233x2352 while people with a nice and shiny new 1080ti push about 1.9 superampling, which is 5745x3192.

Now, these numbers further confuse things because they are the "effective" resolution from 2x 1080x1200 resolution screens combining together stereoscopically to create one display at 110' fov. A good chunk of that 110' fov image is essentially the same image with an offset on the stereoscopic placement, of which there are some rendering efficiencies that can be achieved from that without even taking into account Pascals Simultaneous Multi-Projection feature which has a HUGE performance benefit over previous generation architectures in VR. AnandTech did a very detailed and excellent writeup of what this feature is and how it works that you can find here.

So that 5745x3192 pixel workload my 1080ti is running when playing Onward at 1.9x supersampling? With SMP it is probably more like 3700x3192 to the GPU, which its handling fine.

So what does this mean for next gen displays? Samsung is working on some new OLEDs specifically for VR, coming in at the same 3.5" display size that the Vive and Rift use right now, that are almost double the resolution at 2024x2200. The people running 1.4x supersampling are already pushing that kind of pixel load and handling it just fine. Just turn off supersampling and get the full benefit from the extra pixels!

Foveated HMD displays? Enh, I'll pass.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You'll want foveated for the headsets that entirely sit on your head and don't need to be tethered to a PC, and that's where the mainstream is going to be I think.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My feeling is that we'll just end up brute forcing the screen door / lower res away with good old fashioned GPU grunt / better screens. Unless foveated does something unique and cool it just sounds like an expensive thing to make / possibly fragile to own?
My son gives no shits about the sanctity of VR and while he never abuses the headset he surely uses the hell out of it when playing, micro screens with moving parts and mirrors makes my bowels twitch just thinking about it.
The other day he filled a car up in Job Simulator with donuts and was on the floor grabbing for a sweet sweet donut to chuck in the car.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

My feeling is that we'll just end up brute forcing the screen door / lower res away with good old fashioned GPU grunt / better screens. Unless foveated does something unique and cool it just sounds like an expensive thing to make / possibly fragile to own?

It's just as possible to have a 4x4K panels per eye and use in-built eye tracking to render in high resolution only where the eye is focusing per-frame and for most HMDs this is likely the approach they're going to take. Brute forcing and rendering at maximum resolution across the entire panel is already a waste of resources with current panels, it's even more of a waste as the pixel density and FOV of the HMDs get higher and wider.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SwissCM posted:

It's just as possible to have a 4x4K panels per eye and use in-built eye tracking to render in high resolution only where the eye is focusing per-frame and for most HMDs this is likely the approach they're going to take. Brute forcing and rendering at maximum resolution across the entire panel is already a waste of resources with current panels, it's even more of a waste as the pixel density and FOV of the HMDs get higher and wider.

The fov is the thing I'd love to be improved, I can deal with the resolution (improvements are welcome though!) but I would adore a proper all encompassing fov

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
You want eye tracking anyway for other people in VR to see where your eyes are looking. Might as well use that info to do foveated rendering also and lessen the load on GPU. If you can max out a GPU with your brute-force antics you can get even more visuals out of that same GPU if you can control where you are brute forcing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anyone play that Doom 3 VR mod and get the bug where the PDA just looks like this all the time?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

homeless snail posted:

Anyone play that Doom 3 VR mod and get the bug where the PDA just looks like this all the time?

Dyslexia. It's a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
See a doctor about that wrist