Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

creatine posted:

Oh, duh. I thought there was a way to like, tile walls like you can with floors

There is Rainbeau's Smooth Stone walls. Really handy if you're on a extreme temperature map and boring into a mountain for your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Are there different grades of sanitation protection from the different types of flooring, or is it just a binary 'constructed floor/no-floor' when it comes to building a hospital room?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Are there different grades of sanitation protection from the different types of flooring, or is it just a binary 'constructed floor/no-floor' when it comes to building a hospital room?

Sterile tiles are the best, constructed floors provide no modifier, as does rough stone floors. Everything else makes disease/food poisoning more likely. http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Room_stats#Cleanliness

Strangely, the wiki says cleanliness also impacts research speed. Does anyone know if that's true?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yes it does. You can select a research bench, go to its info pane then select the research speed stat, it will show you the math.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i always sterile tile the kitchen and hospital, but you don't really need to do it to the fridge, especially if you keep meals in their own separate area (just use vents to keep the temp consistent)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm a firm proponent of the 'cook in the freezer' method. It's just a huge timesaver. I also have a single tile storage for meals in the dining room and another outside against my killbox (along with a table) for all the hunter/foragers to get to.

People rarely get sick, probably because I have tidy set to a higher priority than haul and all those bloodstains from corpses being dragged into the freezer are cleaned up pronto.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 28, 2017

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my current kitchen/dining/rec room setup may be a little over-engineered

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I use the fridge mod and put a fridge in the dining area, and pawns get their meals from it. Makes everything so much easier.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

this isn't meant in an assholish way but how many mods did you use? i'd probably have burned out on this game a lot faster if i'd modded everything i didnt like or was inconvenient out of it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LLSix posted:

Strangely, the wiki says cleanliness also impacts research speed. Does anyone know if that's true?
this is true but to be clear the point is mostly academic in terms of going to sterile. you don't have the wherewithal to make sterile tiles early on when the research is most important. by the time you do have the means to do that, you've gotten the most critical research done and have other priorities to attend to so you can jump tiers (making a high tech bench, building a multi-analyzer, etc), and you've had enough research to do that if you gave the job to literally anyone with two flames they're getting research done so fast that it's not a priority to boost them.

the point becomes LESS academic if you have your researcher die when you're in tier 3 and you need a way to make your replacement more productive, but that's effectively the only situation.

Bhodi posted:

I'm a firm proponent of the 'cook in the freezer' method. It's just a huge timesaver.

worth noting that this will scale poorly for two reasons: first, you will have a work speed penalty for an inappropriate temperature (and a fairly large one - it's -40% for being outside the comfortable temp), second, the stove itself kicks off a nontrivial amount of heat so your coolers will constantly be kicking on and using a lot more power than they should.

the minimum comfortable temp is 5C so you could turn your freezer into a refrigerator and whittle away the first problem if you wanted, but 5C isn't frozen so it'll be much harder to build a nice food reserve.

e: actually, just looked at the rimworld reddit for someone doing math on this, and putting your stove in the freezer STILL makes sense if you do not have autodoors, even with the work speed penalty, just because opening doors is so weirdly onerous in this game. if you have a wooden autodoor then stove in a kitchen wins by a country mile.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 28, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Efexeye posted:

this isn't meant in an assholish way but how many mods did you use? i'd probably have burned out on this game a lot faster if i'd modded everything i didnt like or was inconvenient out of it

That's bizarre reasoning. For me, tedious game mechanics lead to burnout faster. Like, if I find myself thinking "wow, this is a terribly designed feature/mechanic that exists only to make the player's life difficult" that makes me frustrated and takes me out of the game, and I try to find a mod that fixes or removes it.

There is also the immersion aspect. I'm sorry but if your pawns can build a loving space ship out of raw materials they dig out of the ground, they should also be able to make fridges.

In any case, I don't have that many mods. Maybe ten total.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I do my butchering in the freezer, they can pick up and drop off the meat basically instantly and blood in the raw food has no impact. I don't keep my stove in the freezer though. There's enough cooking going on that the temperature modifier on the stove is noticeable and the stove generates heat which can complicate the freezer during a heat wave.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

im a big proponent of people playing games however they are most fun for them. for me, stuff like a fridge mod is a slippery slope into nuclear reactors, 50 different weapons to craft, harbors full of ships, and a game that isn't rimworld any more, is all.

sure, whatever this is this looks like fun but it ain't the same game. to each their own

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I like to have a doctor/researcher and just stick him in the hospital with sterile tile. For my kitchen set up I like to have a single L shaped freezer, with the short part storing finished meals next to the dining room and the long part storing raw ingredients next to fields. The kitchen / butcher shop is tucked in the square made by the L shape.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Efexeye posted:

im a big proponent of people playing games however they are most fun for them. for me, stuff like a fridge mod is a slippery slope into nuclear reactors, 50 different weapons to craft, harbors full of ships, and a game that isn't rimworld any more, is all.

sure, whatever this is this looks like fun but it ain't the same game. to each their own

What mod provides harbors full of ships? I must have it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Efexeye posted:

:eyepop:

Fridge mod is really low on the list of things to avoid though. It's one of the most fundamentally useful and balanced mods out there - it costs stuff to build them and power to run them, and their storage is generous but far from limitless. All it means is you have much more flexibility in setting up kitchens, dining rooms/areas, etc. I mean I'm an incorrigible modder (the result of coming up in the TES tradition :v:) so take with a pinch of salt I guess, but to me it feels like the ur-example of a mod that isn't sending anyone down the slippery slope of modding.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LLSix posted:

What mod provides harbors full of ships? I must have it.

no idea. saw it in the community content feed :) if you can read japanese you can probably find it

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I-is that a anime schoolgirl naval high school?

e: Also

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 28, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i feel like it's a fair point that when you start modding in things that change the fundamentals of how you build your bases it starts opening up some weird questions. fridges would make a lot of sense if pawns had a concept of ownership beyond their beds or priority usage beyond distance, but they really don't, so how that fridge gets used is kind of odd. if you build a fridge in someone's bedroom, is that the pawn's personal food stash, or is it just a grab bag of food for anyone in the area who's hungry? the former makes sense and is plannable, the latter has some strange potential consequences, like someone barging in to steal a late dinner out of the fridge after the room's owner is in bed. this already happens with many common beautification pieces (chessboards will be appropriated, tables will be stolen, etc). you can easily end up with more problems than you solve, or at least a state that isn't universally agreeable as 'better'. modding isn't a panacea of fun or sense and shouldn't be presented as such for the sake of others playing.

in the same breath though, modding turns this neat alpha-level game into a bottomless odyssey of mystery and charm so if you wanna mod you go do that poo poo holmes

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i agree, mod the poo poo outta whatever you like! it's an integral part of the game.

stuff like the fridge, for me, removes a lot of the planning and necessity of laying things out to minimize the strain on the coolers, keep cleaning tasks to a minimum, make sure people aren't walking half the map to drop off a squirrel, yadda yadda. i personally have less fun with this game the more i 'figure it out'- some of the most interesting stories come from picking a random landing spot and the colonists' you're given, warts and all, to just barely hang on until a pack of Yorkies gnaws the last one's foot off and the colony dies.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Coolguye posted:

worth noting that this will scale poorly for two reasons: first, you will have a work speed penalty for an inappropriate temperature (and a fairly large one - it's -40% for being outside the comfortable temp), second, the stove itself kicks off a nontrivial amount of heat so your coolers will constantly be kicking on and using a lot more power than they should.

the minimum comfortable temp is 5C so you could turn your freezer into a refrigerator and whittle away the first problem if you wanted, but 5C isn't frozen so it'll be much harder to build a nice food reserve.

e: actually, just looked at the rimworld reddit for someone doing math on this, and putting your stove in the freezer STILL makes sense if you do not have autodoors, even with the work speed penalty, just because opening doors is so weirdly onerous in this game. if you have a wooden autodoor then stove in a kitchen wins by a country mile.
The work speed penalty is much less important than proximity to raw materials since travel time is still way more important than crafting time, especially if you put your materials on tables.

Efexeye posted:

Efexeye you've not over-engineered enough; you need to double-wall your freezer because you're bleeding temp way more than you need to, you might want to put tables and single tile stockpiles of meat/veggie along side your crafters so they don't have to walk, make that kitchen bigger so they don't get the 'cramped' debuff, and replace the crafting stools with comfy armchairs. In fact every chair should be replaced with armchairs to give the comfortable buff while eating and crafting.

Here's part of my cult base, it's not perfect but it works for now. I've got a "longer term storage" section on the right that gets opened rarely as an overflow, when I manually swap the stockpile priorities. Next game I may make an antechamber that has the crafting tables and see how that works out.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 28, 2017

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

^^ Dirty filthy fridge using modder spotted ^^

Coolguye posted:

i feel like it's a fair point that when you start modding in things that change the fundamentals of how you build your bases it starts opening up some weird questions. fridges would make a lot of sense if pawns had a concept of ownership beyond their beds or priority usage beyond distance, but they really don't, so how that fridge gets used is kind of odd. if you build a fridge in someone's bedroom, is that the pawn's personal food stash, or is it just a grab bag of food for anyone in the area who's hungry? the former makes sense and is plannable, the latter has some strange potential consequences, like someone barging in to steal a late dinner out of the fridge after the room's owner is in bed. this already happens with many common beautification pieces (chessboards will be appropriated, tables will be stolen, etc). you can easily end up with more problems than you solve, or at least a state that isn't universally agreeable as 'better'. modding isn't a panacea of fun or sense and shouldn't be presented as such for the sake of others playing.

in the same breath though, modding turns this neat alpha-level game into a bottomless odyssey of mystery and charm so if you wanna mod you go do that poo poo holmes

You just put a couple fridges in the dining room to hold your meals. It makes your big freezer stockpile more efficient because now you don't have everyone running in to get a meal.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So a group of friendlies showed up and then immediately decided to leave because we were in the middle of a cold snap and I thought that was the end of that.

A little while later I noticed a message that said someone from a friendly tribe had died and I lost faction with them. So I started looking around the map and it turns out that group of friendlies never left, they're just sort of milling around the border of the map and not doing anything and now a bunch of them are dying from starvation and exposure and a big-rear end forest fire that they somehow managed to start. What the gently caress, is this a bug? I literally did nothing and now I'm probably going to be stuck with another hostile faction.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Coolguye posted:

These are fair points and I probably overstated the Fridge mod's utility in my zeal. :shobon: But, yes, the most important thing of all is to play this (and all other single-player games) however you find most fun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bhodi posted:

The work speed penalty is much less important than proximity to raw materials since travel time is still way more important than crafting time, especially if you put your materials on tables.
i mean it's not like the proximity problem is intractable. it's perfectly reasonable to make a small kitchen, even like 2x3 or 3x3, to hold just the stove right off your freezer. that's how i do it anyway. and if the door in and out of that kitchen is an autodoor, keeping the stove in its own room is a huge productivity boost, esp if you keep critical stockpiles of meat and veggies in the freezer but directly next to the door.

but amusingly, because opening and closing doors is so incredibly painful for pawns, you're one hundred percent correct here if you're separating your kitchen and your freezer with a normal door.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The fridge mod is great. I recall some people wondering about storage solutions earlier in the thread, and they were steered towards Stack XXL. It's a good solution, but I've preferred something more organic. Extended Storage adds things like pallets that act as a furniture-based solution. I think it's a more balanced and enjoyable choice than simply increasing stack sizes. I didn't speak up at the time because Extended Storage hadn't been updated for A17 yet (it still hasn't on the workshop :argh:) but now it is on Github, and here are the relevant links if anyone wants to check it out.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14177.0 (Ludeon forum)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731732064 (Steam)
https://github.com/Skullywag/ExtendedStorage/releases/tag/ExtendedStorage2.1 (Download)

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah the way it is now needs to be fixed. The more people you have hauling the more unfilled stacks you end up with. You cant really plan storage because of that. If they dont add a job to organize like some of the mods they need to put in containers for raw food and resources.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Efexeye posted:

i agree, mod the poo poo outta whatever you like! it's an integral part of the game.

stuff like the fridge, for me, removes a lot of the planning and necessity of laying things out to minimize the strain on the coolers, keep cleaning tasks to a minimum, make sure people aren't walking half the map to drop off a squirrel, yadda yadda. i personally have less fun with this game the more i 'figure it out'- some of the most interesting stories come from picking a random landing spot and the colonists' you're given, warts and all, to just barely hang on until a pack of Yorkies gnaws the last one's foot off and the colony dies.

The fridge mod doesn't eliminate the need for planning. It simply gives you more tools, and therefore more flexibility, to create an optimal food production and consumption system. It also opens additional avenues for planning. For example, do you want your crafters working around the clock, and not waste any time walking over to the common area for meals? Great, place a table with some chairs in the crafting room along with a mini fridge. But that means your cook has to spend extra time hauling cooked meals to that fridge from the kitchen, potentially slowing down your food production. So you need to think carefully about whether that trade off is worth it.

Basically, once I figured out an optimal kitchen/fridge layout using vanilla methods, I didn't want to deal with it anymore. So I added the fridge mod.

I agree with you regarding mods that add tons of content or fundamentally alter gameplay. I stay away from those. I made an exception the other day and tried the medieval mod, but it's simply too silly and imbalanced. It's great that the game allows such complex modding but at the end of the day I don't want to deviate from the core gameplay too much.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 28, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Efexeye posted:

You shouldn't put your butchery in the same room as your stove, the butchery has an inherent uncleanliness modifier so that room is dirty all the time.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

OwlFancier posted:

You shouldn't put your butchery in the same room as your stove, the butchery has an inherent uncleanliness modifier so that room is dirty all the time.

I tend to make a butcher that connects to raw food and corpse storage (I leave these as one room to save the vent/door and just tuck the corpses behind a wall) and the kitchen connects to the raw meat and a storeroom with vegetables and meals. Sometimes medicine and whatever else freezable goes in the meal room at the start before they get their own spots. So two doors out of the kitchen, one out of the butcher unless you want a separate corpse storeroom.

Seconding the fridge. Makes the suggested fire-resistant clustered base layout easier to accomplish, among other good mentioned reasons.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 28, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So is there actually a way to play viably on ice sheets? I assume some custom scenarios use them but it doesn't seem possible to survive otherwise.

Also, I was disappointed to find out that picking those single-tile islands as your starting point does not actually give you an island game map surrounded by ocean.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i haven't found one, and i tried for a bit. even if you can beat the cold early on, food is such an intractable problem on an ice sheet that i don't see how it's possible to eke out an existence there. even if you theoretically could, raids won't stop just because you're in a very harsh environment; even if there's no other civs around, you'll just get attacked by mechanoids instead, and with no native way to get steel or components, there's not really a practical way to resist them.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Efexeye posted:

I'm the complete opposite. Mods enhance the game and make me play it longer. Also I'm a coder/mod creator and I end up modding almost every single player game I spend more than 10 hours playing so maybe I have some bias.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 29, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't really see how a fridge mod - which requires you to build fridges that have limited storage space and cost components to build and power to run - requires more or less planning than the normal method of storing meals that most people use which is a tiny little room bolted to the side of your freezer with a vent between the two.

Like there is literally zero planning required to set up an efficient kitchen/food storage setup, once you figure it out once you can copy paste it to every map you ever do with similar results.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Kanos posted:

I don't really see how a fridge mod - which requires you to build fridges that have limited storage space and cost components to build and power to run - requires more or less planning than the normal method of storing meals that most people use which is a tiny little room bolted to the side of your freezer with a vent between the two.

Like there is literally zero planning required to set up an efficient kitchen/food storage setup, once you figure it out once you can copy paste it to every map you ever do with similar results.

Wweeeeeellllll, requiring food to be stored in a roofed, air conditioned room is a bit more nuanced/errorprone than the freezer but not really more fun or Fun. Basically it lets you detach your dining room from your freezer, which I think is a very reasonable trade off, but, at this point in the games life, simplifying any part of the resource management could be considered op from a certain (wrong) perspective.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly, if cleaning was entirely eliminated from the game who would miss it? I could see myself removing it via mod entirely, making the game marginally easier, and not missing it at all. I look at it like this: there's a lot of mindless busywork in the game that doesn't provide meaningful challenge and just pads it out a bit. Cleaning sounds like an interesting balancing/resource management/pawn-work-order problem but in reality you just bump one guy's cleaning priority to 1 for a while or manually clean the kitchen and the hospital.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like it because I like the visual change from dirt hovels to nice cleaned and finished rooms. It adds well to the game's overall sense of managing the terrain.

And, I mean, either you think it's irrelevant and can be removed or you think it's an impactful mechanic but don't like it. The entire game can be summed up as mindless busywork that doesn't provide meaningful challenge because it's a colony management game, the point is that the pawns do the mindless busywork so you don't have to.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Cleanliness also makes high traffic areas require upkeep to remain pretty, so it's a minor upkeep requirement for the super workshop or the omnihallway. An organic usage effect.

It's annoying and arguably unnecessary, but it's one of those secondary mechanics that provide emergent effects. If anything I'd expect more of that kind of thing from Tynan in various degrees of tedium.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Efexeye posted:

For me it's the other way around, various mods add so much interesting poo poo I'd have burned out without them. There's a lot that make the game dramatically easier and I avoid those, I like the ones that expand the game laterally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So a group of friendlies showed up and then immediately decided to leave because we were in the middle of a cold snap and I thought that was the end of that.

A little while later I noticed a message that said someone from a friendly tribe had died and I lost faction with them. So I started looking around the map and it turns out that group of friendlies never left, they're just sort of milling around the border of the map and not doing anything and now a bunch of them are dying from starvation and exposure and a big-rear end forest fire that they somehow managed to start. What the gently caress, is this a bug? I literally did nothing and now I'm probably going to be stuck with another hostile faction.

This got lost in mod-talk but I've read somewhere (possibly in this very thread!) that if a caravan/visitor group has a member collapse eg for temp issues (hypothermia/heat stroke) they just wait around for them to recover before they leave. If that person never gets up, then they'll just hang around wating forever until they all go berserk/also succumb to hypothermia and enough die so that they flee.

I guess if you keep an eagle eye out you can rescue the first downed pawn and that will reset them but I dunno.

TL;DR the AI is dumb