Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Schlesische posted:

He was charged by the Victorian police, he'll land in Melbourne if he comes.

My mistake :)

quote:

"Cardinal Pell will return to Australia, as soon as possible, to clear his name following advice and approval by his doctors who will also advise on his travel arrangements.

"He said he is looking forward to his day in court and will defend the charges vigorously.

"He has again strenuously denied all allegations."

Yep, already seeding the excuse he'll use to not come over whilst saying he totes will. Shocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Surely the Vatican can fake his death and lock him up in there with a bunch of concubines for company or whatever it is they do with trouble makers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

JBP posted:

Surely the Vatican can fake his death and lock him up in there with a bunch of concubines for company or whatever it is they do with trouble makers.

Actually it's kind of like Hellsing Unlimited

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

JBP posted:

Surely the Vatican can fake his death and lock him up in there with a bunch of alter boys for company or whatever it is they do with trouble makers.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Lid posted:

"A congenital heart defect has felled Pell moments before he could enter the ring."

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/education/schools-controversial-stolen-generations-lesson-draws-parents-ire-20170628-gx0lml.html

Kynan Wykes, 10, and his year 4 class thought they were starting a normal school day when a nun walked into the classroom at 9.30am on Tuesday, holding a letter that she said came from the Prime Minister's office.

Their parents weren't looking after them well enough and they would be taken away, she told students at St Justin's Catholic primary school in Oran Park. They didn't believe it at first and some of the students went to the teacher to ask if it was true. She said it was real, and several started crying.

Some couldn't eat their lunch and Kynan started thinking of ways to escape before the end of school day.

t wasn't until about 2.50pm that they were told it was all part of a lesson on the Stolen Generations and were asked to write down how it made them feel.

"This is emotional abuse," Kynan's mother Natalie Wykes said.

"He came home and he said, 'Mum, I got really scared at school today'. This should never happen to another child."

Tim Gilmour, assistant to the director of schools in the Catholic diocese of Wollongong, which oversees St Justin's, defended the activity but said the school would look at how it could be "refined".

"This was intended to give students experience of a scenario that was part of our nation's history," Mr Gilmour said.

"We wanted to ask them how they would feel if we did that now.

"It was done without incident last year and quite a lot of parents said the activity was a good one."

Mr Gilmour said three year 4 classes at the school had done the activity, but only two were told early on that it was role play.

"I understand that it was not done as well as it should have been in one class," he said.

"Seven students became a bit distressed but they were reassured by their teacher and made to understand the context of the activity. [We'll] certainly look at how it can be refined to get the best outcome.

"And if it's deemed it's no longer appropriate, we'll look at whether it needs to be changed significantly or just amended to include more context."

Mr Gilmour said he was not aware of any other school in the Catholic system that ran a similar activity.

Mrs Wykes and another parent, Mary Jane Turner, whose nine-year-old son Tyrone is in the same year 4 class and suffers from anxiety, said they were now considering taking their children out of the school because of the incident.

"Tyrone came home very distressed and he was crying," Mrs Turner said.

"We just had to keep telling him, 'You're home now, we wouldn't let something like that happen'."

"He couldn't eat lunch because he was so upset. The school knows Tyrone's not your typical child and I just can't believe they would do that.

"I get doing it for a lesson, but doing it for the whole day ... building fear in children isn't going to teach them anything."

Mrs Wykes said she was looking at moving Kynan to the local public school after she complained to the St Justin's principal about the activity on Wednesday.

"While we were there Kynan said, 'The army can come and take us away at any time'. The principal said, 'You know that's not true', and Kynan said, 'No, they can', and [the principal] just sort of didn't say anything to that," she said.

"[The principal] said it probably did go a bit too far but then showed me an email from a parent congratulating the year 4 teachers on a job well done. When children start crying you know you should stop. My son said, 'I wanted to escape'."

Another parent at the school, who did not want to be named, said she supported the aim of the activity but thought it could have been done better.

"I don't have a problem with the idea of it because empathy's a great thing to have," she said.

"But I have some questions around if they made it clear that it was just a re-enactment.

"My son didn't seem that upset when he got home but he got a bit distressed when I asked him about it.

"A lot of people were saying, 'Can they do that, is that allowed?"'

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

:yeah:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That's really loving dumb.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

JBP posted:

That's really loving dumb.

A agree the stolen generation is dumb and applaud the fact that they're trying to educate people on the horrors of it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
There should be a way to follow the itinerary of Pell's flights back.

#trackthetyke

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Time for why we have gun laws class *shoots TA in the head*

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for May:

Highlights from last month's thread:

Bogan King posted:

I think I found somewhere Fairfax could save a bunch of houses. Why the gently caress up and let them improve the quality of their magazine. Want to know that they're just using raw numbers to sell it off
Watch as your mates make fat stacks while making it even worse
Retire and not paying graduates enough to make that work though not the decision maker who announced it realising what the nebulous 'good / bad' rhetoric is for. Fund the stuff the private sector isn't willing to stump up for and as soon as it looks like Beautiful Daisy™ created it.

JBP posted:

I wish they'd legalise it because rolling the dice on ending up with single enterprise bargaining, under which many workers traded out all of the calculator is further down where it gives you the opporunity cost of the legislation regarding mutually agreed to underage sexting and poo poo.

iajanus posted:

To be fair, I'm being unfair. It goes plenty of places, but without connecting anywhere useful in any decent way. I've worked three places in totally different areas so far up here and whilst all three had stops and routes quite close, they took well toward two hours to travel to work (should one work outside the city with a direct main road that takes me there. How the gently caress does a real city have it take me 45+ minutes to do onsite tech support at her house and I refuse to let them go quietly. If anyone hears of anything that will be hosed up by this government and that it might survive by itself on its name and memories. Life Education has done incredible work for decades and I am very saddened by it being quietly shafted like this; my grandfather poured all the money from the centre of the city centre) it's galling and a sad joke.

My aim for next month is to have to word cloud up before the 15th.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm Mr Drug

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
thread tells me to budget better

fair cop

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'd cut year end HECS

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Extra piss

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for May:

Highlights from last month's thread:

My aim for next month is to have to word cloud up before the 15th.

Can we get it in comic sans.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
HSC avo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Drug Dutton, drugs

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Dutton could excuse Lib money budget better.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Kynan should be taken away from his parents based on the spelling of his name alone.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Time for why we have gun laws class *shoots TA in the head*

The only mistake they made is not telling the parents their kids would be taken away from them as well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Carlton reckons that's defamatory. Here's hoping - be good for a chuckle.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Urcher posted:

That claim is arguably correct. Cyclists take up less space than drivers, but far more than a bus or tram at full capacity. It glosses over the energy efficiency and cycling being the most space efficient of the personal point to point transport options.

Cycling is far less space efficient than walking :colbert:

Edit: sorry, old tab and didn't realise the thread was 3pages on

norp fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 29, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Its a long bow but what does this mean for the world domination plans of the Apex gang?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Goon Project: #HuntingCatholics

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Vic/melb is BETTER SYDNEY.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Mad Katter posted:

The answer to this is that most of the funding for roads is collected through taxes.

Registration is almost entirely insurance and admin fees.

So its unreasonable to ask that people who take bikes onto the road are both safe to use(eg have reflectors, brakes that work) and also have some sort of insurance like other vehicles on the road?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I don't know how I feel about unity in politics. I'd like to think that if ministers were able to defy the whip more, as in Britain, that poo poo like our concentration camps would have been voted down. But it's the Labor party and I can't imagine any have a soul regardless.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Scarecow posted:

So its unreasonable to ask that people who take bikes onto the road are both safe to use(eg have reflectors, brakes that work) and also have some sort of insurance like other vehicles on the road?
Yes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Scarecow posted:

The law covers your first point and insurance only needs to be third party so who loving cares, it's a bicycle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Registering individual bicycles the same as other road vehicles sounds like a cheap, easy and not stupid thing to do.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
FORMER prime minister Tony Abbott has continued his extraordinary critique of the Turnbull government, warning its $50 billion submarine program has big problems and should be rethought.

Instead, Mr Abbott told the Centre for Independent Studies this afternoon, Australia could consider asking the United States for nuclear powered submarines.

Mr Abbott, in the speech, also praised the Labor Party’s strength in national security and support for nuclear power.

“Labor has actually been stronger than the government on the assertion of freedom of navigation rights in the South China Sea,” he said.

“If a strong national security case were to be made for nuclear powered submarines, I am confident that, at least under the present Labor leadership, it would get a fair hearing.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Labor supporter Tony Abbott

Cant take the DLP out of the Liberal

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is this sniping?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Surge pricing for groceries :capitalism: [news.com.au]

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Scarecow posted:

Having a safe bike is already part of the road rules. I remember the police blitz in Adelaide a few years ago where people were receiving fines of several hundred dollars for not having a bell etc.

Regarding insurance, statistics show that cars are at fault in the vast majority of cases. On the rare occasion that a bike is at fault, it's potential for injuring a third party is a fraction of what a car can do.

Cycling is a net public benefit for traffic congestion and health. You really want to be minimising potential barriers to participation where possible.

People aren't going to take the bike out of their shed and ride to work every now and then if they have to go to the bother and expense of registration, and that would be a bad thing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

First against the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

V agile.

• Locked thread