Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno, I always thought B5 seemed realistic. It's mostly cramped, feels very military. There's plenty of automation. I also would guess there are other command areas, C&C is likely coordinating and issuing orders to other departments.

Yeah, we saw Garibaldi's / Head of Security office a few times and it always looked like the pokiest little hole.

Franklin / Medbay seemed more open but there was a bit I recall him sitting at a few times, probably more open to go with the whole 'medical' approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Innerguard posted:

Yeah, we saw Garibaldi's / Head of Security office a few times and it always looked like the pokiest little hole.

Franklin / Medbay seemed more open but there was a bit I recall him sitting at a few times, probably more open to go with the whole 'medical' approach.

I'm pretty sure that there's more than one Medbay on the station as well, but Franklin operates out of the main Medbay.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jedit posted:

I'm pretty sure that there's more than one Medbay on the station as well, but Franklin operates out of the main Medbay.

Yeah, you see Franklin talking about Medlab 5 at least once so it's pretty safe to assume they're probably scattered around the station like GP's rather than being one central hospital.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno, I always thought B5 seemed realistic. It's mostly cramped, feels very military. There's plenty of automation. I also would guess there are other command areas, C&C is likely coordinating and issuing orders to other departments.

There's even an episode about that where Earthgov wants Sheridan and Ivanova to pay 30 extra credits a week to stay in quarters with an additional 7 square feet.

Anyway, let's look at some quarters

Clearly the main difference between Minbari and Centauri cultures are camera angles and vases.

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 27, 2017

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
G'Kar's is a pretty dope bachelor pad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Londo's is the only odd one out in that it doesn't quite feel right, it sort of feels like the clearance section at a Pier 1, but it doesn't really matter. The rest are stellar, and when Londo is onscreen you're just watching him anyway. Peter Jurasik owns.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah there are 2,500,000 creatures on that station, plus all the equipment necessary for them to live and eat. Space is at a premium.

Of by a factor of 10x. Still, there must've been 30-40k people living in extreme poverty on the station at least.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

pentyne posted:

Of by a factor of 10x. Still, there must've been 30-40k people living in extreme poverty on the station at least.

Reminds me of that episode where Ivanova accidentally gives that Darwinist species the idea to ghettoise its poor, sick and downtrodden. That was a fun subplot.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

Reminds me of that episode where Ivanova accidentally gives that Darwinist species the idea to ghettoise its poor, sick and downtrodden. That was a fun subplot.

Followed by Boom-shaka-laka. One of the best scenes. I wonder how much of that particular bit was improv.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

pentyne posted:

Yeah the 2.5 million is how many pounds of spinning metal it is, all alone in the night.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pentyne posted:

Whoops, yes. I was even saying "a quarter million" in my head as a typed that. Still got it wrong.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Innerguard posted:

Followed by Boom-shaka-laka. One of the best scenes. I wonder how much of that particular bit was improv.

JMS said it was scripted out and Claudia Christian thought it was hilarious and put a lot of practice in.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Luigi Thirty posted:

JMS said it was scripted out and Claudia Christian thought it was hilarious and put a lot of practice in.

I think JMS has said that there was next to no improv anywhere, and he seems like enough of a control freak that this makes sense to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

neongrey posted:

I think JMS has said that there was next to no improv anywhere, and he seems like enough of a control freak that this makes sense to me.

You're forgetting one of the best scenes was made that way through improv though (G'Kar and Londo trapped in a lift).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting one of the best scenes was made that way through improv though (G'Kar and Londo trapped in a lift).

Those two had their characters down better than JMS did, of course he didn't stop them.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Burning_Monk posted:

G'Kar's is a pretty dope bachelor pad.

There's a scene in season 1 where someone goes to visit G'Kar and two women leaves his bedroom.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

the 90s exploded in here

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend

V-Men posted:

There's a scene in season 1 where someone goes to visit G'Kar and two women leaves his bedroom.

3. Followed by him coming out in his nightrobe.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The lines all got said, just in a different way than was scripted. JMS describes G'Kar's scripted attitude as "Zen-like." He also describes walking past the set during the first take, hearing gales of laughter, coming in and being asked whether they could play the scene that way... and they proceeded to do a second take. And that's what aired.

I'm still bitter at how many B5 performers died too soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Narsham posted:

The lines all got said, just in a different way than was scripted. JMS describes G'Kar's scripted attitude as "Zen-like." He also describes walking past the set during the first take, hearing gales of laughter, coming in and being asked whether they could play the scene that way... and they proceeded to do a second take. And that's what aired.

I'm still bitter at how many B5 performers died too soon.

It's fascinating in that you can kinda see what the original version was like from the scripted lines, with G'Kar just quietly (or threateningly) enjoying getting to watch Londo die, but it is so much more G'Kar that he sees it all as a grand cosmic joke. He doesn't have to kill Londo, he doesn't have to do anything and he still gets to watch him die :munch:.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's fascinating in that you can kinda see what the original version was like from the scripted lines, with G'Kar just quietly (or threateningly) enjoying getting to watch Londo die, but it is so much more G'Kar that he sees it all as a grand cosmic joke. He doesn't have to kill Londo, he doesn't have to do anything and he still gets to watch him die :munch:.

...I hear you!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And also the way he goes from fury ("FIVE HUNDRED NARNS!") to laughing at it all. And Londo's reaction to G'kar's rage.

Amazing scene.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is everyone's favorite scene, it just loving owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD-SJh8szjA

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Pick posted:

I think Londo's is the only odd one out in that it doesn't quite feel right, it sort of feels like the clearance section at a Pier 1, but it doesn't really matter. The rest are stellar, and when Londo is onscreen you're just watching him anyway. Peter Jurasik owns.

I'm watching B5 for the first time and I think that's actually perfect. He's an ignorant man who thinks himself very cultured and intelligent. So he just collects random shiny objects and calls it "eclecticism". He's a fuckin magpie. I've known people who decorate like Londo.

I have to say, what impresses me most so far is the dialogue. JMS writes killer dialogue and you can just tell whenever he didn't right the script because suddenly his particular punch is gone. I can't stop hearing Captain Sheridan say "Do you feel like a hero yet?" though.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 29, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm watching B5 for the first time and I think that's actually perfect. He's an ignorant man who thinks himself very cultured and intelligent. So he just collects random shiny objects and calls it "eclecticism". He's a fuckin magpie. I've known people who decorate like Londo.

He also wants to be seen as important and part of a Republic that isn't declining so, yeah, garish and weird and 'eclectic' fits him so well.

Hearing that Boxleitner was in Spec Ops is what made me buy the game. Dude is fantastic in that scene.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Milky Moor posted:

He also wants to be seen as important and part of a Republic that isn't declining so, yeah, garish and weird and 'eclectic' fits him so well.

Hearing that Boxleitner was in Spec Ops is what made me buy the game. Dude is fantastic in that scene.

Honestly I'm disappointed this man hasn't been in more. He has such an excellent voice, like a rough-hewn knife - sharp yet earthy and rough.

I also totally empathize with him being a sarcastic, moody rear end in a top hat at all the poo poo that goes down on the station.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

If Claudia Christian is all over the next round of Elder Scrolls and Fallout games like she was in Skyrim and Fallout 4, maybe she can pull some strings.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

...I hear you!

Double-checked the script book, and that comment (along with the quiet "We're in here" which follows it) were in fact ad libs. Brilliant.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Honestly I'm disappointed this man hasn't been in more. He has such an excellent voice, like a rough-hewn knife - sharp yet earthy and rough.

He also has a particular cadence when he's dressing people down. When I worked in customer service, I used to affect it when someone was getting aggressive.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Milky Moor posted:

He also has a particular cadence when he's dressing people down. When I worked in customer service, I used to affect it when someone was getting aggressive.

I'm in the middle of S2 so I don't think I've seen him really verbally destroy someone yet, looking forward to that now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'm in the middle of S2 so I don't think I've seen him really verbally destroy someone yet, looking forward to that now.

Oh wow, I envy you for what you've got coming in the next few seasons then :munch:.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thern posted:

3. Followed by him coming out in his nightrobe.

Somebody got mad pouch that night.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh wow, I envy you for what you've got coming in the next few seasons then :munch:.

I've spoiled myself (I intentionally seek out spoilers for pretty much all the media I consume) and it really sounds like I'm in for a treat when things get in full swing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Those two had their characters down better than JMS did, of course he didn't stop them.

It's a testament to JMS's writing and the acting chops of Katsulas and Jurasik that some of the most raw and powerful moments of television I've ever watched happened between a dinosaur man and a faux-Eastern European goofball with a peacock hairdo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I also totally empathize with him being a sarcastic, moody rear end in a top hat at all the poo poo that goes down on the station.

He got to voice Tron in the Tron Uprising animated series, which is actually pretty good in contrast to Legacy's blandness. He's a supporting character but he still shows up a lot and gets a few episodes in front.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Do, because it owns.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

While Sheridan had plenty of badass lines, I like Delenn 's various verbal pawnages even more.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hangedman1984 posted:

While Sheridan had plenty of badass lines, I like Delenn 's various verbal pawnages even more.

Her "Why not?" in Severed Dreams is my favorite Delenn line. The rest of the speech is fine, but that "why not?" has just the perfect degree of dismissal.

"Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
S2E12 "Acts of Sacrifice"

G'Kar continues to be one of the best characters but that B-Plot can get shot into the loving sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

S2E12 "Acts of Sacrifice"

G'Kar continues to be one of the best characters but that B-Plot can get shot into the loving sun.

Ivanova owns in that episodes and it's hilarious watching her deal with those Darwinist assholes.