Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My wife saw the preview screen for the latest episode of Twin Peaks and thought Evil Coop was Richard Lewis. Which is a show I would watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

That's what I was thinking until the bit I referred to in that post. The description given of the "grays" is consistent in all the accounts in the book thus far, and it fits the appearance of the Glass Box Entity (gray skin, bulbous head, large black eyes).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_alien

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Wikipedia posted:

The "Mother Hypothesis"

In 2005, Frederick V. Malmstrom, writing in Skeptic magazine, vol. 11 issue 4, presents his hypothesis that Greys are actually residual memories of early childhood development. Malmstrom reconstructs the face of a Grey through transformation of a mother's face based on our best understanding of early childhood sensation and perception. Malmstrom's study offers a possible alternative to the existence of Greys, the intense instinctive response many people experience when presented an image of a Grey, and the ease of regression hypnosis and recovered-memory therapy in "recovering" memories of alien abduction experiences, along with their common themes.[13]

:tinfoil:

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

There are pieces of other Lynch films all over the new season and I guess he wanted to keep making concert films after his 2014 thing with Duran Duran. I like them as credits songs but the NIN scene did absolutely nothing for me.

I'm still working on the calculations and may be objectively wrong about this, but I thought the NIN performance was ... bad. Bad song. Mediocre performance. It kind of ruined the flow of the episode for me because I was actually super psyched to hear NIN and then I had to scrub through half that scene. Now I'm just glad I haven't really paid attention to what Trent has been doing since high school.

I'll get back to you when I've finished the math on that. Rest of the episode was good and cool.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

a cute sea otter posted:

I'm still working on the calculations and may be objectively wrong about this, but I thought the NIN performance was ... bad. Bad song. Mediocre performance. It kind of ruined the flow of the episode for me because I was actually super psyched to hear NIN and then I had to scrub through half that scene. Now I'm just glad I haven't really paid attention to what Trent has been doing since high school.

I'll get back to you when I've finished the math on that. Rest of the episode was good and cool.
You mean you didn't like she's gone she's gone she's gone she's gone awayyyyyyy?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

a cute sea otter posted:

I dont even like NiN much but I though it was good and fitted well into the episode

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

stanovich posted:

The Twin Peaks podcast called "Diane" is the best one in terms of 'getting it' and not resorting to lazy 'WTF was that' takes all the time. They're the best and I hope more people tune into it. I'm not personally involved with them in any way.

https://diane.libsyn.com/

Thank you for sharing this! Went through their "Got a Light" analysis and now I want to go back and listen to the rest.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

stanovich posted:

The Twin Peaks podcast called "Diane" is the best one in terms of 'getting it' and not resorting to lazy 'WTF was that' takes all the time. They're the best and I hope more people tune into it. I'm not personally involved with them in any way.

https://diane.libsyn.com/

insideoutsider posted:

Thank you for sharing this! Went through their "Got a Light" analysis and now I want to go back and listen to the rest.

Seconded. This is a really good podcast.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kulkasha posted:

Just noticed that her arms bend backwards.

Huh, I'll be damned.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Got a light?
Got a light?
Got a light?
Got a light?
Got a light?
Got a light?
Got a light?

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I think I kind of like what I'm watching, but it doesn't remind me of Twin Peaks. :shrug:

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
you're right. it's better. :smuggo:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I love watching this show on a weekly basis and leaving all that time in between episodes to think, talk, and read about it but I'm also looking forward to an 18-hour fever dream binge of this when it's all been aired.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I rewatched just about the entire first season in one day in the lead-up to Season 3's release and let me tell you, I had some weird goddamn dreams that night.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

I rewatched just about the entire first season in one day in the lead-up to Season 3's release and let me tell you, I had some weird goddamn dreams that night.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Baloogan, meet me for breakfast in GBS at 8AM. I know who the frogroach is supposed to represent.

Yes, it can wait until morning.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm thinking about the parallel of the Woodsman reaching out over the radio in the 1950s and our present day folksy survivalist Dr Jacoby podcasting scenes.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I will say that I'm no longer on the "Girl (1956)" is Sarah Palmer thought. It could be Cooper's mom, or someone else entirely. I guess we'll find out. I initially thought that it might be Sarah because the Bob ball and Laura ball seemed to be heading in the same place and I thought maybe they'd hit Leland and Sarah at the same time. But the dates just don't add up and I realize now it's just a dumb idea.

I did follow the suggestions of watching with the screen as close as possible. Episode 8, watched as if on a gigantic theater screen in a black void via HTC Vive with headphones was an awesome experience. It was a lot of sensory overload. I learned only one new thing though. When the Giant is walking through the theater, his footsteps are all in reverse audio.

Still have no real idea what anything in Episode 8 really meant. I'm starting to re-read the book since it's been several months since I read it and I was taking most of it in regards to seasons 1 and 2, as opposed to 3, so I think a lot of it will make more sense in respect to the new episodes.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
my brain is failing me; what was the significance of the mike nelson scene earlier this season? other than 'yeah he's still a prick when he doesn't need to be'

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Section 9 posted:

I will say that I'm no longer on the "Girl (1956)" is Sarah Palmer thought. It could be Cooper's mom, or someone else entirely. I guess we'll find out. I initially thought that it might be Sarah because the Bob ball and Laura ball seemed to be heading in the same place and I thought maybe they'd hit Leland and Sarah at the same time. But the dates just don't add up and I realize now it's just a dumb idea.

I did follow the suggestions of watching with the screen as close as possible. Episode 8, watched as if on a gigantic theater screen in a black void via HTC Vive with headphones was an awesome experience. It was a lot of sensory overload. I learned only one new thing though. When the Giant is walking through the theater, his footsteps are all in reverse audio.

Still have no real idea what anything in Episode 8 really meant. I'm starting to re-read the book since it's been several months since I read it and I was taking most of it in regards to seasons 1 and 2, as opposed to 3, so I think a lot of it will make more sense in respect to the new episodes.

too late to be cooper. he was born in 1954

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I read an Uproxx review of E8 that described the Woodsmen as 'Charred Men' and fretted earnestly about Lynch's vision of monstrous homeless men who terrorise the innocence of Americana by getting up in middle-class people's faces and asking for cigarettes, and it made me think of something.

Hibakusha: the 'burnt' and radiation-affected victims of the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bomb blasts, who were frequently treated with superstitious fear and horror by the unaffected, and who found themselves sometimes driven to wandering vagrancy and poverty on the edges of society.

'Death in Life: Survivors of Hiroshima' notes a myth that you could tell hibakusha by their skin - permanently darkened, literally charred, in the explosion.

It makes me think of the Woodsmen not as natural spirits of the Lodge, but spirits formed by the Trinity blast itself, gathering around the 'wound'. The test may not have actually killed anyone, but we're encouraged to see it as an atrocity against the landscape, a colossal act of American self-harm - and it results in the proliferation of these figures who bear resemblance to Paul Bunyan as well as Abe Lincoln, ghosts and victims of an act of violence against rural America. They slink out of the desert, into the towns - and decades later, they've spread across the entire country.

I think in that regard, Lynch may actually be criticising the naivety/innocence of small-town America, rather than idolising it. The (stereotypical) couple first encountered by the Woodsmen react with slowed-down, bestial roars as they're asked for help - their horror and fear is deliberately made absurd, even cattle-like. These creatures are part of their world, if they'd only recognise it.

All this may be totally wrong, of course. But you know, Twin Peaks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Neurosis posted:

my brain is failing me; what was the significance of the mike nelson scene earlier this season? other than 'yeah he's still a prick when he doesn't need to be'

It was the setup for the guy who looks like Macaulay Culkin revealing to his girlfriend that he sucks rear end at getting jobs.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

CJacobs posted:

It was the setup for the guy who looks like Macaulay Culkin revealing to his girlfriend that he sucks rear end at getting jobs.

He's also the creepy brother in Get Out, right? Dude is really good at portraying that sort of character. REALLY COOL.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Baloogan, meet me for breakfast in GBS at 8AM. I know who the frogroach is supposed to represent.

Yes, it can wait until morning.

:D ill bring the coffee

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

grobbo posted:

I think in that regard, Lynch may actually be criticising the naivety/innocence of small-town America, rather than idolising it. The (stereotypical) couple first encountered by the Woodsmen react with slowed-down, bestial roars as they're asked for help - their horror and fear is deliberately made absurd, even cattle-like. These creatures are part of their world, if they'd only recognise it.

I think this is a good read, I like your ideas. I think it's a read consistent with Lynch's other work too. Lynch has, of course, always had a fascination with 1950's Americana, but I've never thought he idolized it since he always seems to be subverting it, or at least showing the nastiness undergirding it. From Blue Velvet's torture-rapist operating in an idyllic small town to Mulholland Drive's "classic" Hollywood machine grinding Diane Selwyn down into a loser murderer to the original Twin Peaks'... well, torture-rapist operating in an idyllic small town, I think Lynch has always been criticizing the the sanitized stories we tell ourselves so we don't have to look at the ugliness right under our nose.

I mean, Bobby Briggs basically says it in his funeral meltdown: "We all killed her!"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I actually don't want to know who the girl who ate the frog-bug is. I liked the whole scene as a spreading/revealing of corruption across a completely innocent looking town parallel to Twin Peaks. I'm not interested in the world building I guess.

Also I assume the season ends with Laura coming back to life and Cooper going to space.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 29, 2017

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Monglo posted:

He's also the creepy brother in Get Out, right? Dude is really good at portraying that sort of character. REALLY COOL.

yep, Caleb Landry Jones

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

mary had a little clam posted:

I think this is a good read, I like your ideas. I think it's a read consistent with Lynch's other work too. Lynch has, of course, always had a fascination with 1950's Americana, but I've never thought he idolized it since he always seems to be subverting it, or at least showing the nastiness undergirding it. From Blue Velvet's torture-rapist operating in an idyllic small town to Mulholland Drive's "classic" Hollywood machine grinding Diane Selwyn down into a loser murderer to the original Twin Peaks'... well, torture-rapist operating in an idyllic small town, I think Lynch has always been criticizing the the sanitized stories we tell ourselves so we don't have to look at the ugliness right under our nose.

I mean, Bobby Briggs basically says it in his funeral meltdown: "We all killed her!"

Blue Velvet even literally opens by showing an idyllic suburb filled with bugs beneath the surface. Not exactly subtle

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Making some good progress on my blanket! Here's how it looks right now, at about 2/3 of the way done:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mister cozy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

Making some good progress on my blanket! Here's how it looks right now, at about 2/3 of the way done:

That's awesome. Wish I knew how to knit.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's awesome. Wish I knew how to knit.

Thanks! I wish I had learned earlier, haha. Turns out my lifelong fidgeting is perfect for knitting.

It's actually not difficult to learn, though it can seem daunting at first. The best way is to watch someone else do it, so it turns out the YouTube era we live in now is amazing for learning how to make things. Still need to try crochet.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

TheMaestroso posted:

That's cool as heck. How does knitting work? I mean, to you have a pattern, like in dress making or w/e, or are you doing it on the fly? I'm asking 'cos if it's a pre-made pattern I wanna make one.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

choo choo lovely theory time

wells are used to excavate otherwise inaccessible groundwater. perhaps the line from the woodsman's poem refers to the Trinity testing site as a 'well' connecting to the endless waters from the purple world

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

E: ^ That's...actually an interesting idea.

im a Belieber! posted:

That's cool as heck. How does knitting work? I mean, to you have a pattern, like in dress making or w/e, or are you doing it on the fly? I'm asking 'cos if it's a pre-made pattern I wanna make one.

Thanks!

You can use a pattern that already exists, design your own, or even knit on the fly (if you know what you're doing). I did a bit of a mix of planning out what I wanted while also adjusting things while knitting (most adjustments are in the curtains). If you would like to do one yourself, I can write up a pattern for you - just keep in mind that the organic shapes I'm getting for the curtains are from me feeling out where to adjust the pattern to get that slightly flowing look. Also, I'm using a technique for the stripes called intarsia in order to minimize yarn to weave in and to keep the front looking nice and clean.

Interested?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Grimes posted:

I think I kind of like what I'm watching, but it doesn't remind me of Twin Peaks. :shrug:

I agree with this and I've said this from the start. Other than the Black Lodge scenes and some of the scenes with Hawk/Lucy/Andy, this seems like a completely different show. Much darker and less quirky than Twin Peaks. With cameos from Twin Peaks characters. What have Bobby/Mike/Ben/Jerry/Norma/Nadine/etc. added to the storyline other than making you say, "I remember that person!"?

Don't get me wrong, it's still very good; it just doesn't feel like Twin Peaks.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

...! posted:

With cameos from Twin Peaks characters. What have Bobby/Mike/Ben/Jerry/Norma/Nadine/etc. added to the storyline other than making you say, "I remember that person!"?
I see your point, but I think the Horne brothers will have some relative importance coming up. I feel like the opening scene with Jerry in the woods was a lot more than "old guy gets too high" (he's clearly an experienced smoker and says "I think I'm high" as if he isn't sure.)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I bought the soundtrack on cassette because why wouldn't I.

But what's this on the inside...?

It's a tree. Or is it an orb?

How far does this GO

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

...! posted:

What have Bobby/Mike/Ben/Jerry/Norma/Nadine/etc. added to the storyline other than making you say, "I remember that person!"?

You can characterize people without involving them directly in the plot. What you're implying is that these characters are showing up like Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan in Rogue One. Cameos, basically.

These don't really count:

Bobby: He's now a cop, which means his father's vision about Bobby ending up okay and living a good life may have panned out. Also, Laura's death was such a huge thing for him that looking at her photo 25 years later causes him to choke up and practically start crying on the spot.

Mike: Like Bobby, he's got his poo poo together and has a proper job where he interviews other people for positions. He apparently also detests gently caress-ups, which is pretty amusing.

Ben: After everything that happened, he's still in the same place 25 years later, and avoiding having an affair with his secretary (though he clearly has those ideas, he's not acting on them like he used to). He's definitely settled himself a bit. Of course, there may be more going on than we know yet.

Jerry: Dude's chilling and making pot food on the regular and apparently owns a marijuana-related business. He also gets high and loses track of where he is. Also, he watches Dr. Amp ironically.

These kinda do, but only on the surface:

Norma: We've seen her with just Shelly so far, being kind of like a big sister to her and running the RR together. The RR is such a character in the series that showing it without also showing Norma (and even Shelly, for that matter) would've been strange. The German waitress is more of a "remember that person" include than just about anyone in the new season, but even then her still working at the diner as a waitress tells you something about her character (what little there ever was).

Nadine: With basically two short shots of her, it's similar to showing Norma - her presence so far relates to something else. In this case, all we know is that she loves watching Dr. Amp and she has a lot of fabric in her office, implying she may have started a business of her own. No Big Ed in sight is also interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheMaestroso posted:

all we know is that she loves watching Dr. Amp and she has a lot of fabric in her office, implying she may have started a business of her own.

Nadine Hurley's Patented Silent Drape Runners