Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

that ivy guy posted:

Belly Drum technically gives +12; allowing you to recover from any attack drops!

So if you simple beam tail glow it won't say maximized like belly drum does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ampharos gets Cotton Guard but not Tail Glow, an egregious oversight that should be fixed immediately

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

fixed, ampharos now gets neither

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

less laughter posted:

Ampharos gets Cotton Guard but not Tail Glow, an egregious oversight that should be fixed immediately

That's 'cause Tail Glow's original name is Firefly Light because it was supposed to be Volbeat's signature move.

A sheep-dragon is not a firefly!!!!!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Neither are Manaphy and Xurkitree

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Reinanigans posted:

That's 'cause Tail Glow's original name is Firefly Light because it was supposed to be Volbeat's signature move.

A sheep-dragon is not a firefly!!!!!

It's

Better

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
A firefly in sheep(-dragon)'s clothing

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Ampharos is a lighthouse though

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

hes a dog

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

McDragon posted:

hes a dog

Olivine's good boy

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Druddigon can have Glare as an egg move. Glare is Snake Glare in Japanese. Druddigon is not a snake.

That being said, I want an event where you can get a Ampharos or Charizard (or their pre-evolutions) with Tail Glow as a special move. A bit like how Chansey has access to Wish due to an in-store event at the New York Pokemon center in 2004.

EDIT: Maybe I was mistaken on Rough Skin.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 28, 2017

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to (poorly) read the japanese pokedex entries and Alola Rattata has this word (ひか) which is confusing me. Google does nothing to help me.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Violet_Sky posted:

I'm trying to (poorly) read the japanese pokedex entries and Alola Rattata has this word (ひか) which is confusing me. Google does nothing to help me.

Hika. Could mean attracted?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Hika. Could mean attracted?

I know it's Hika but google just gives me a name and hikari. Attracted could work.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 28, 2017

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

I know it's Hika but google just gives me a name and hikari. Attracted could work.

I'm not sure where you guys are seeing hika, because I only see ヒゲをひくつかせ which the English version translates as a twitch of whiskers.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

maybe you're reading the entry for Hikachu

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I am Reverend posted:

cotton guard raises your defense by three boys too, and hopefully your altaria can use all those green numbers to distract low ladder players long enough that they don't realize they have three steel types

e: i got beat a lot but i'm the only one who talked about altaria

i'm telling you, man, you're doing it wrong

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jithendra posted:

I'm not sure where you guys are seeing hika, because I only see ヒゲをひくつかせ which the English version translates as a twitch of whiskers.

Alola Rattata's pokedex entry.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 28, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I could use some advice. I was thinking about getting back into Pokemon now that I have a New 3DS but I dunno what to go for. I liked Gold and getting to go to Kanto and fight those gym leaders again but I just like the idea of fighting Gym Leaders in general so maybe I'd get Platinum since you get a sweet house in that one. But the same thing is a feature of the Hoenn remakes though. And I don't really know what to think if anything about Black, White or X and Y. All I've got to go with for Sun and Moon is that the tutorial is supposedly like 3 hours long or something.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

heart gold is the best one but is missing approximately half the pokemon now. x/y have almost all the monsters and love to give you the iconic old ones. people here like black/white but i don't

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

oddium posted:

people here like black/white but i don't

To be fair, its mostly B2/W2 that get all the love.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

RareAcumen posted:

I could use some advice. I was thinking about getting back into Pokemon now that I have a New 3DS but I dunno what to go for. I liked Gold and getting to go to Kanto and fight those gym leaders again but I just like the idea of fighting Gym Leaders in general so maybe I'd get Platinum since you get a sweet house in that one. But the same thing is a feature of the Hoenn remakes though. And I don't really know what to think if anything about Black, White or X and Y. All I've got to go with for Sun and Moon is that the tutorial is supposedly like 3 hours long or something.
Sun & Moon own. The tutorial island drags on a bit long, but in the grand scheme of things it's barely a blip on the radar. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that they scaled back clothing options from XY & the wifi plaza is worse than the equivilant from XY/ORAS. It doesn't have traditional gym leaders, though.

Platinum also owns. If you get it along with other games you probably want to play it first, since it's missing some of the QOL improvements of recent gens(reusable TMs especially).

Black/White is good. I personally like that it forces you to use all new Pokemon, but some people don't. Black/White 2 has better sidequest stuff and a wider variety of Pokemon, but all the characters are lamer.

XY wasn't bad, but it's probably the most forgettable mainline game.

ORAS are solid remakes. If you played RSE and liked them you'll like ORAS. If you didn't like RSE, you'll probably like ORAS anyway.

HGSS is hot garbage people only like because your Pokemon can follow you on the overworld.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 29, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Sun & Moon own. The tutorial island drags on a bit long, but in the grand scheme of things it's barely a blip on the radar. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that they scaled back clothing options from XY & the wifi plaza is worse than the equivilant from XY/ORAS. It doesn't have traditional gym leaders, though.

Platinum also owns. If you get it along with other games you probably want to play it first, since it's missing some of the QOL improvements of recent gens(reusable TMs especially).

Black/White is good. I personally like that it forces you to use all new Pokemon, but some people don't. Black/White 2 has better sidequest stuff and a wider variety of Pokemon, but all the characters are lamer.

XY wasn't bad, but it's probably the most forgettable mainline game.

ORAS are solid remakes. If you played RSE and liked them you'll like ORAS. If you didn't like RSE, you'll probably like ORAS anyway.

HGSS is hot garbage people only like because your Pokemon can follow you on the overworld.

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot that they made reussable TMs a thing. drat. And that sucks that they pulled back on the clothing stuff. And also that HG&SS aren't good, because Lugia's my favorite legendary.

I guess that leaves OR/AS and Sun or Moon then. Which is pretty helpful, since I was like three or five generations behind last time I played one! (It was Pearl but that was years ago.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you want to get back into pokemon, it's almost always best to just go with the most recently released title. (X and Y over Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are a possible exception.)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
HG/SS are good, but be prepared to very slowly grind your Pokémon if you ever hope to beat Red at the end. The level curve in the game is terrible. Apart from that, really solid games with an aesthetic I love.

Platinum is...really, really good. Only play this if you haven't played anything past the 4th generation though, as mentioned, it's missing a lot of QoL improvements.

B/W 1 have the best story of any of the games, though that isn't a high bar, and the best rivals. All of the gym leaders (save maybe the first one(s)) have lives outside of the gym and play an increased role in the story. You will only find Pokémon native to Unova in the game, so if playing with old favorites is a deal breaker, you won't like these. Still my favorite entry in the series.

B/W 2 has a way worse story, but a very large selection of monsters, and the World Tournament or whatever where you can fight nearly every past gym leader, as well as Red with full teams. It's really cool.

X/Y kind of suck.

OR/AS are good if you like Hoenn. They made all of the water routes not (as) terrible, but R/S were always my least favorite generation until X/Y and OR/AS did little to change my opinion.

SuMo are...great, but obviously save these for last if you plan to play more than one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Will ultra have more Alolan forms

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They're actually eliminating your three favorite Alolan forms.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Will ultra have more Alolan forms

I kinda doubt it but i'm hoping so.

RareAcumen posted:

If you need to pick 1 i'd say Sun and Moon because it's the best Pokemon game, but if you liked Johto a lot you'll probably really enjoy HG/SS. If you're planning on catching up on all the games you missed it might be a good idea to start with the gen iv stuff though just because as people have mentioned gen v and on introduced a lot of good qol improvements that you'll probably miss. You can't really go wrong though Pokemon games are very fun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Platinum is my personal favorite, but compared to the QoL improvements of the newer stuff, it's aged like milk. (There's a reason people keep hoping for Gen4 remakes.)

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RareAcumen posted:

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot that they made reussable TMs a thing. drat. And that sucks that they pulled back on the clothing stuff. And also that HG&SS aren't good, because Lugia's my favorite legendary.

I guess that leaves OR/AS and Sun or Moon then. Which is pretty helpful, since I was like three or five generations behind last time I played one! (It was Pearl but that was years ago.)

You can for sure get Lugia in Alpha Sapphire if you want one more current than HGSS. But personally I hate the RSE gen. Skipped it when it was new, and OR felt like a chore for me a few years ago. But yeah, that's only if you want Lugia without trading or something.

One of my friends was in the same situation as you, and hasn't played pokemon since the GB games, and I gave him an old 3DS. He got X and really loved it, but said he felt like the only bad thing was that the story was pretty lacking. So I don't know if that would bother you at all or not. Probably not, since I didn't know anyone cared about the story in these at all.

Personally, if you're down to ORAS or SM, I'd say go with SM for sure.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Well that and the pokewalker peripheral.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I had a Furret on my Pokewalker that I would take with me everywhere.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hgss is good but the exp gains are not

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Definitely play the newer games first to get up to speed, then play any game you like the sound of or what cover Pokemon you think look the coolest.

Just don't play any of the F2P games, they're all awful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also ORAS is terrible because it builds on the worst mainline games :colbert:. I would definitely go with X/Y, SuMo or B2/W2 as my picks for getting back into the series.

I also think at this point Sun and Moon have dethroned Black and White for best story. Ans other than that it has a lot of design decisions I'm not fond of. The sequel owns for Pokestars studio tho.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 29, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

Also ORAS is terrible because it builds on the worst mainline games :colbert:.

But ORAS has no connection to DP.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Guys I never paid attention to Crabrawler's height. It's 0.6m. Why is is so big looking in the games? Why is this punching crab so small???

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Big personality

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Crosspeice posted:

Guys I never paid attention to Crabrawler's height. It's 0.6m. Why is is so big looking in the games? Why is this punching crab so small???

A 60 cm tall crab is terrifyingly huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah the anime never really keeps up with the whole size consistency thing. like snivy is 2ft tall but it's super short in the show, or dunsparce is like 20ft long but it's super tiny in the show (and pokemon mystery dungeon)