Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spite posted:

He helps you guys against most of the league but I don't think he helps against GSW unless he can consistently outplay Steph. And the last time he did that was that playoff series in '14 when the Clips won.

And if Dekker is fully healed and healthy I think you'll regret losing him in the long run.

He is able to put pressure on Steph and make him work on both ends. If you think CP3 won't make a difference against GSW, what the hell do you think Dekker could do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

klay is cool and i like him. by far most likeable Warrior along with Livingston b/c tall lanky pgs who cant shoot outside of 10 feet own too

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm looking forward to a CP3-Harden-Gordon-Ariza-Anderson small ball arrangement at some point

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I like this post from another site re: Harden and Paul

quote:

Just 10% of Chris Paul's shots last year were Catch-and-shoot (he did have an amazing 69% EFG%). Just 11% came without a dribble. Just 16% came within two seconds of receiving the ball.

Harden was similar. 13% catch and shoot, 17% without a dribble, 19% within two seconds.

Both of these guys like to take their time with the ball. That's contrary to the D'Antoni offensive philosophy.

Harden was playing in D'Antoni's offense when he posted those numbers, and the Rockets had one of the best offenses in the league, so it seemed to work out OK in his case.

More to the point - just because Paul and Harden played like this last year, that doesn't mean it's the only way they're capable of playing. If you look at Harden's splits, half or more of his shots were assisted when he played in OKC, and that percentage dropped off sharply once he joined the Rockets - because he didn't have teammates who could reliably create shots for him any more. (Over two thirds of Harden's 3-pointers made last year were unassisted, which is madness; I would guess that drops off starkly next year with Paul feeding him.)

Paul's percentage of unassisted field goals doesn't have a similar change at any point (it went down slightly with the Clips compared to his time with the Hornets), but he's never played with a fellow creator anywhere near Harden's caliber. (Seriously, who is the best shot-creating wing that Paul has teamed with at any point in his 12 NBA seasons?)

All of that is to say that taking two players who are capable of running a top-5 offense without much help and putting them together will doubtless come with challenges, but overall... I'll let Marlo Stanfield say it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
"Whoa I dunno if trading forgettable role players for a still-in-his-prime Hall of Famer is gonna work out."

-An Idiot

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
D'Antoni's offense is like half ISO ball, I don't know where people get these ideas from.

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS

Noctone posted:

"Whoa I dunno if trading forgettable role players for a still-in-his-prime Hall of Famer is gonna work out."

-An Idiot

How was Kobe and Howard goink before Howard left?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the rockets in no way play 7 seconds or less, it takes harden 7 seconds to get across midcourt half the time.

Both Paul and Harden drove this deal happening, and both say they want to share point duties. Obviously saying and doing are different, but is it really that hard to believe they wouldn't mind relieving the burden some and having some wide open 3s that someone else does the work for? It is going to put so much pressure on defenses, last year teams could find their best defender and put them on Harden and basically just build their entire defense around making harden do all the work. chris paul changes that, a lot.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ratzinc posted:

How was Kobe and Howard goink before Howard left?

Howard had a back injury that has hampered him since. Kobe and Nash were both well past their primes.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Henchman of Santa posted:

Vince Staples reactions.

hah this is mostly reminding me that Vince Staples is a very young man. He needs to talk to Clipper Darrell about what to expect from that team if he thinks Doc ruined them.

Stern created the modern Clippers with "Basketball Reasons"

Dancing is fun and I'm glad it's okay for straight men to do. The post-Fred Astaire pre-James Murphy decades must have been hell, even intelligent folks acting like it's very uncool to dance, lame to do poorly and "gay" to do well, ugh. The 80s and 90s were bad news, everyone too cool for school. The 00s were good, tons of songs about how it's okay to dance even if you don't do it well, the Terror Squad anthem where they claimed they weren't dancing they were just doing cool movements to the music, lovely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T20aIntlGVo

never insult a man for trying to dance, that's how I feel. That's making fun of Having Fun.

Panzeh posted:

I think Phil Jackson is the best GM the Knicks ever had.

annoyingly he's easily the best in the last 10+ years

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
And just imagine when the other team is like "Alright cool we're wearing down Harden he's going to the b- oh gently caress here's Chris Paul"

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

There is a decent chance he ends up traded, but if not, the Rockets back court minutes could entirely be Chris Paul, James Harden, and Eric Gordon. That is absurd and hilarious

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

EvanTH posted:

Stern created the modern Clippers with "Basketball Reasons"

Oh my god I forgot all about Basketball Reasons

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kibner posted:

Howard had a back injury that has hampered him since. Kobe and Nash were both well past their primes.

Howard getting traded for scraps made my offseason

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Kawhi's defensive numbers looked bad this season in part because teams shot well from 3 when he was in the game and they shot unreasonably poorly from 3 when he was sitting. It affected his stats pretty heavily iirc.

Chris Paul is currently second in NBA history in WS/48. How are people still sleeping on him?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm probably biased because I'm old enough to have seen the superteam fail in Houston before (Hakeem-Drexler-Barkley and then Hakeem-Barkley-Pippen. Worked with Hakeem and Drexler but they emptied their depth to add Barkley to the mix and welp)

e: Also TMac-Yao-Artest

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 29, 2017

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Bashez posted:

Kawhi's defensive numbers looked bad this season in part because teams shot well from 3 when he was in the game and they shot unreasonably poorly from 3 when he was sitting. It affected his stats pretty heavily iirc.

Chris Paul is currently second in NBA history in WS/48. How are people still sleeping on him?

Lack of team success in the playoffs + the emergence of Steph/Russ/Wall/IT etc. PG is a packed position now and he's part of the older guard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bashez posted:

Yeah if you adjust to account for 3pt% allowed being largely random he was fine last year

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Bashez posted:

Poorly timed injuries and a lack of postseason success

He's really good tho

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RIP my ability to insist Harden isn't the biggest flopper/whiner by pointing at CP3

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Intruder posted:

I'm probably biased because I'm old enough to have seen the superteam fail in Houston before (Hakeem-Drexler-Barkley and then Hakeem-Barkley-Pippen. Worked with Hakeem and Drexler but they emptied their depth to add Barkley to the mix and welp)

e: Also TMac-Yao-Artest

We would've won the title in 09 if T-Mac, Yao and Dikembe hadn't died

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I had no idea Dikembe played until almost 2010, that's bonkers

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Intruder posted:

RIP my ability to insist Harden isn't the biggest flopper/whiner by pointing at CP3

Don't worry. You can still point at Blake. Or for whining alone, Doc Rivers.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Carlosologist posted:

I feel like he was already 35 years old when he was on the AI Sixers

edit: so I read the post below me and he was in fact 35 at that time :lol: amazing

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 29, 2017

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

He was old when he started, too. He was born in 1966, first played at Georgetown in 1988-89, and started with the Nuggets in '91

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

curried lamb of God posted:

We would've won the title in 09 if T-Mac, Yao and Dikembe hadn't died

If that was the year that Yao cracked his knee against the Lakers in game 1 of their series I agree. That team was dope and a 65 year old Deke still blocking shots made me happy all the time.

T-Mac's 13 points in 30 seconds or whatever still ranks to me as one of the greatest things I've ever watched live, that team was sick.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BWV posted:

klay is cool and i like him. by far most likeable Warrior along with Livingston b/c tall lanky pgs who cant shoot outside of 10 feet own too

Did Javale get traded? :confused:

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I had a dream that the Spurs traded Aldridge, Bertans, Anderson, and next year's first for Paul George and then went and signed George Hill. Literally no one scores on a lineup that includes Hill, Green, Goerge, and Leonard.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Man I wish the NFL had as crazy of offseason as the NBA. That trade alone is like more people than the NFL trades in a few years. It would be a way more fun league of it was more like the NBA.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Ramadu posted:

Man I wish the NFL had as crazy of offseason as the NBA. That trade alone is like more people than the NFL trades in a few years. It would be a way more fun league of it was more like the NBA.

I can't imagine Roger Goodell on a Gay Pride float waving a Rainbow flag with THE SHIELD logo.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

I can't imagine Roger Goodell on a Gay Pride float waving a Rainbow flag with THE SHIELD logo.

I can but only if the gay pride float paid the NFL millions to license its likeness. I'm surprised they haven't done that sort of thing like they had the military pay millions for all those military appreciation days. Gotta reach that 14 billion a year income somehow!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's staying in Utah lads

https://twitter.com/5kl/status/880190624498016256

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/880419815428681728

Hell I'd be fine with that

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WESTBROOK
OLADIPO
GAY

THE NEW BIG THREE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7lIjFsGvg

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Paul Zuvella posted:

WESTBROOK
OLADIPO
GAY

THE NEW BIG THREE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7lIjFsGvg

You forgot Griffin cuz he's going home

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

pubic works project posted:

You forgot Griffin cuz he's going home

My man

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

He is going to be more inefficient this year. I think he'd be ok if they sign Griffin also but otherwise it might get rougher.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bashez posted:

From watching him, I do think he took a step back on D aside from the variance issues, but I think that is sort of inevitable shouldering more of the offensive load. Going from 25% usages to 31% is quite a bit, and that 6% is all "harder" offense to create. However, I think for Kawhi that step back was from "Holy poo poo, a guy playing the 2 or 3 is affecting the teams defense as much as 7 foot rim protectors do!" all the way down to "Decent DPOY vote".

Intruder posted:

Howard getting traded for scraps made my offseason

I completely forgot Dwight Howard was traded to the Charlotte Hornets. It's nuts Free Agency hasn't even started yet and that trade is no longer in the top-10 of things that happened this offseason.

If this is the result of GSW breaking the NBA, I say Hail Superteam.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TeamLou23/status/880403935382482948

Buddy, you should see the posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Ramadu posted:

https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/880428518659821568

• Locked thread