Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swastikatzen
Apr 10, 2006

Ended up with BLM/BLM/DRG/MYS this year. I just got past what I think will be the only stumbling block in Archeoavis. The way the jobs were doled out meant that I had to 4 BLM him, which came down to praying to RNG Jesus with the main gauche and elf mantles, spamming elixirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm only 66 on everyone, you think that's good enough for Omniscient? How many procs did it take you to :black101:

e: wait, is it better with 3x Mage Masher rather than 1x Masher and sync up the speed and try to murder with fewer procs?
I tried it for a bit when I did it but couldn't get it to work. Part of it is that there's luck involved when the ATB starts and Silence doesn't last very long on Heavy (flat 30 instead of up to 255, starting at 167 or 180 if it isn't Magic Sword).

JerikTelorian posted:

best armor from Phantom village
I hope you mean Mirage Vests. Now triple crown it!

derra posted:

You have 2 choices for Berserking Shinryu
I believe Summoner is rods and staves, so you could grind a Power Staff, too. Just quicker to cycle a Wonder Rod, though.

Schwarzwald posted:

If you didn't have White Mage, it might have been worth it to grind for the Reflect Ring drop from Reflect Knights in the Barrier Tower, but since you can just cast the spell it's not so necessary.
If you're doing anything funky it's still worth getting a couple as Reflect as a spell has a duration (it's 52 but some slower timer, same as Carbunkle's). You can do it in Phoenix Tower (probably before any other drop you get) but it's more annoying.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 29, 2017

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Is it just me, or does #TeamNo750 look like it would be near impossible to triple crown with?

Thief/Monk/Knight
Mystic/Zerker
Tamer/Ninja/Ranger
Samurai/Dragoon

You pretty much have to get Mystic knight and Ninja or Ranger to stand a chance at it.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 29, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

I believe Summoner is rods and staves, so you could grind a Power Staff, too. Just quicker to cycle a Wonder Rod, though.

If you're in W3 and don't have one already you don't have any options to farm a Power Staff.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finished run number 3, went for Popular for a nice milk run.

Black Mage, Mystic Knight, Chemist, Summoner.

:getin:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Is it just me, or does #TeamNo750 look like it would be near impossible to triple crown with?

Thief/Monk/Knight
Mystic/Zerker
Tamer/Ninja/Ranger
Samurai/Dragoon

You pretty much have to get Mystic knight and Ninja or Ranger to stand a chance at it.

Beastmaster and any other class other than Thief. Mystic just needs 6 hits and no other class for support. Ranger is doable.

I did it this year with 3 Samurai and a Ninja but even I think leveling to 85 falls soundly in the unreasonable category.

Confuse immunity is actually the limiting factor here IMO, but the status immunity bug alleviates that somewhat.

derra fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 29, 2017

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

derra posted:

Beastmaster and any other class other than Thief. Mystic just needs 6 hits and no other class for support. Ranger is doable.

I did it this year with 3 Samurai and a Ninja but even I think leveling to 85 falls soundly in the unreasonable category.

Confuse immunity is actually the limiting factor here IMO, but the status immunity bug alleviates that somewhat.

How does that bug work? I figure thief wouldn't be so bad, since you could at least steal up genji gear for more confuse resist.

Also, how many permutations of this set of classes would you say can't triple-crown? Assuming one class from each crystal.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Whelp, Omega down. Ended up just blessed kissing him since wave Cannon is a bitch and a half. 3 on !mix duty and one on Thundaga duty. Quick was a godsend for Resurrection and protecting when one character went down. Now to grind up some more dragon fangs since I'm down to 10 after that, then it's time to clown on the rest of the game.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Getting the helm would be nice for certain parties, but outside of unarmed crits Thieves can't hurt Omega. Beastmasters can Release a bit but not kill with them alone, and they also have reflected Blitz Whip Thunder pros, which are not great. Every other class on that list has a good way to kill a Calmed Omega.

The bug is that if you get into a fight your status immunity from gear remains for the next fight, even if that character changes gear or jobs inbetween.

What level are you setting as "reasonable"?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

derra posted:

Getting the helm would be nice for certain parties, but outside of unarmed crits Thieves can't hurt Omega. Beastmasters can Release a bit but not kill with them alone, and they also have reflected Blitz Whip Thunder pros, which are not great. Every other class on that list has a good way to kill a Calmed Omega.

The bug is that if you get into a fight your status immunity from gear remains for the next fight, even if that character changes gear or jobs inbetween.

What level are you setting as "reasonable"?

I figure thief would be there mostly to sling elixers and phoenix downs as needed while the heavy hitters do their job. :shrug:

Oh yeah, I forgot !calm works on Omega. I suppose there's probably a !capture that can beserk, too.

I'm going by fiesta rules here, so I'm not choosing which class I get exactly. I just know those are the potential classes from each crystal.

I'm willing to grind up to whatever level is needed to win. :black101: But what I'm worried about is getting a class combo that just can't triple crown no matter the grinding.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Another butt for the butt throne!

No Rapidfire, no Flare/Holy Spellblade, no Kaiser Knuckles. Turns out that mystic knight (and rangers with darkness bows) makes Neo Exdeath doable even if your damage is kinda lovely (pun intended). Of course, I had to count damage carefully and am pretty sure I would have been wrecked hard by his desperation pattern.

This was run#3, I went no750 since in my first run i got chemist, whitemage, and summoner and in my second I got a time mage and TWO blue mages.

This run actually finished at the same general level as my chemist run. I did a massive zombie dragon grind in world 2, and then the only grinding after that was going for 2 wall rings in Barrier Tower and a little ABP to round things out in the Pyramid. Thief is amazing in not having to do fights if you don't want to. In retrospect I should have tried experimenting with using Break Spellblade on the Kuzar beasts outside the castle, and absolutely should have done my big world 1 grind before Sandworm rather than after.

Also, i was a butt and didn't realize I could have gotten Mute Spellblade until I was in world 2 and had to get to world 3 to pick it up (note: if you're playing fifthjob you should consider picking up any useful low-level magic in world 1 when you can). This mean that my bridgegamesh fight was a drawn out desperate prayer to !Animals RNG instead of something quite manageable. Mystic knight makes a joke out of a lot of bosses, but for the others I was often bogged down in really slow battles of attrition. I used like 20 phoenix downs and 30 hi-potions in world 2 exdeath but at least in that fight my characters could take a (1) hit. Also, the Sleep Spellblade fights were very very boring.

I'm going to take a break and then level these guys hard because ranger + mystic knight means I'm pretty much obligated to at least attempt a triple crown.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 29, 2017

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

But what I'm worried about is getting a class combo that just can't triple crown no matter the grinding.

Knight/Zerker/Ranger/Dragoon would be a very unpleasant team to triple crown with even if it's technically possible.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Knight/Zerker/Ranger/Dragoon would be a very unpleasant team to triple crown with even if it's technically possible.

I can't imagine thief or monk instead of knight would be any better, just that Knight is probably the strongest of those. Shinryu wouldn't be too bad, Omega would be the hard one there.

Would samurai or ninja provide more utility? I assume Giltoss eventually gets strong enough to get through omega and shinryu's defense, and lightning scrolls are a decent damage source against Omega?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Just curios, why does everyone say Ranger sucks? Rapidfire always hits and ignores defense. The only reason it's not the default best option is because it specifically triggers two sets of counters.

I can't imagine thief or monk instead of knight would be any better, just that Knight is probably the strongest of those. Shinryu wouldn't be too bad, Omega would be the hard one there.

Would samurai or ninja provide more utility? I assume Giltoss eventually gets strong enough to get through omega and shinryu's defense, and lightning scrolls are a decent damage source against Omega?

Ok. Let's explain!

Besides the innate Reflect and Shell, there are two things that keep people from hurting Omega:

1) He has 95% physical evade. If you don't auto-hit, you only hit 1 out of 20 times.
2) He has 190 defense. I posted this before, but under the hood, your attack damage is calculated by how hard you hit per swing (Attack - Defense) times the amount of swings you get per attack (noted as the Multiplier or M, based on level and relevant stat, usually strength for physical commands). For a basic Fight command, your Attack is generally your weapon strength. Even the mighty Chicken Knife caps at 127 attack, which means, no matter how high your level is, you will do 0 damage, period (since 127 - 190 is not a positive number).

Giltoss's attack is your level + 10. Without Bard or Chemist boosts, this will never be higher than 190, and will do zero damage to him. (Fun fact, I killed him with Zeninage earlier this year by lowering his defense with the Chemist Mix).

Successful kills need to get around both of these. For instance, with my Ninja / Samurai x3 kill, I took advantage of the Dancing Dagger. Sword Dance (1/8th chance of appearing) doubles both your Attack and Multiplier for the attack AND always hits. While the Dancing Dagger's doubled attack still can't pierce Omega's defenses, the off-handed Chicken Knife also gets its Attack and Multiplier doubled. 127 * 2 = 254, which is greater than 190 and means that those Sword Dance CK hits will actually hurt Omega, and more levels = more damage (subject to breakpoints).

Other ways of penetrating his defense -> Axes and hammers reduce defense to 1/4 of its original value, so as long as your axe has an attack greater than 190/4 or 47, you'll be able to do some damage. Hitting an elemental weakness does increased damage AND treats defense as 0 for the attack, so elemental equipment such as Tridents or Coral Swords can do damage. Ninja scrolls *do* work, but without a job with a decent magic score they aren't very viable. Crits also ignore defense, so Monk Fist and Samurai Katana Crits can bring the beast down.

Calm can lock him down, which also has the benefit of making your attacks auto-hit. Your Knight can equip a Coral Sword and bop a Calmed Omega down pretty trivially. If you have to work through his attack routine, you generally have to kill him without him countering too much because Encircle will eventually start hitting. You also need to learn when it is safe to attack to avoid getting HP halved right before Wave Cannons come out, but as long as you have elixirs and controllable people you can generally survive. However, those Fight commands don't auto-hit, so you'll need things like Rapidfire or Jump to really have a shot at the guy.

Generally speaking, you want to set up one character to kill Omega while the other 3 help soak attacks (Aegis Shields), cast Curaga / White Wind / toss elixirs (Running Shoes), and make themselves confuse immune.

For the primary damage dealer, Samurai suck. By themselves, while theoretically they can hurt Omega, they can't get around the 95% evasion. Defensively for an Elixir bot, they can use Genji Helm or Armor to go confuse immune and can use the Aegis Shield, so not the worst.

Ninja, well, Lightning Scrolls do always hit. Like I said before, though, their low magic stat means the damage isn't really there. I think Fuma Shuriken can work as well. There's a reason I went for Dancing Dagger procs instead. Defensively, well, um, now that I know of the status immunity bug they can use Bone Mail for confuse immunity? Honestly that bug (and the fact that Bone Mail is FARMABLE) adds a lot of leeway for parties.

By far the best No750 class if you don't have Beastmaster is Mystic Knight. Thundaga Spellsword means you can do a LOT of damage when you hit Omega. "But Derra, how is a Mystic Knight getting past Omega's evasion?" Well, knives have a property where they half the target's evasion. Depending on your level, CK or Assassin Dagger are excellent weapons to use. A 53% chance to 9999 is significantly better than most other options. Lacking MK, Dragoons (Trident Jump) and Rangers (Rapidfire) can get past both Omega's evasion and defense.

derra fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 29, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derra posted:

Just curios, why does everyone say Ranger sucks?

No one says that. Rapidfire is the best weapon attack in the game by miles and !animals is really strong for a lot of the game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

How does that bug work?
If you end a battle (whether by winning or running away) with gear equipped that gives you status ailment immunities (but not elemental immunities/absorbs), those carry through to the next fight.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

No one says that. Rapidfire is the best weapon attack in the game by miles and !animals is really strong for a lot of the game.

Just things like this:

ultrafilter posted:

A Ninja is definitely worse in the Fire job here.

If it was a standard No750 run, hmm. I never thought about this before because I always run Chaos, lets work this through:

Wind Crystal jobs are all various degrees of bad at this.
Water, you have a 50% chance of pulling a MK and guaranteeing a kill.
Fire, technically all 3 jobs can do this. You either get Calm lock (and you are guaranteed to get a job that can hurt Omega on the Water Crystal), Ninja (who can do it at VERY high levels by itself), or Ranger (who can do it at significantly lower levels than the Ninja).
Earth, Dragoon is much better than Samurai.

Honestly, Shinryu is more annoying for a lot of these parties (i.e. those without Dragoon) since your only option for berserking him is a Beastmaster. Shinryu can generally be brute-forced, as his defenses aren't as airtight.

So yeah, if you're willing to level really high if you get a Ninja and not a MK (1/6 chance), all of these parties in a normal no750 run should be able to Triple Crown.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Whelp, seems like both mixes that cause blind can miss shinryu. Gonna take out NED before spamming mix and reset until I hit shin.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derra posted:

Just things like this:

A Ninja is definitely worse in the Fire job here.

If it was a standard No750 run, hmm. I never thought about this before because I always run Chaos, lets work this through:

Wind Crystal jobs are all various degrees of bad at this.
Water, you have a 50% chance of pulling a MK and guaranteeing a kill.
Fire, technically all 3 jobs can do this. You either get Calm lock (and you are guaranteed to get a job that can hurt Omega on the Water Crystal), Ninja (who can do it at VERY high levels by itself), or Ranger (who can do it at significantly lower levels than the Ninja).
Earth, Dragoon is much better than Samurai.

Honestly, Shinryu is more annoying for a lot of these parties (i.e. those without Dragoon) since your only option for berserking him is a Beastmaster. Shinryu can generally be brute-forced, as his defenses aren't as airtight.

So yeah, if you're willing to level really high if you get a Ninja and not a MK (1/6 chance), all of these parties in a normal no750 run should be able to Triple Crown.

That's not "Ranger bad", it's "Omega is a giant pain in the dick without Bard, Beastmaster, or Time Mage". Also Ninja is both good at physical attacks and comes with a no effort required aoe that synergizes well with other classes.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 29, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Whelp, seems like both mixes that cause blind can miss shinryu. Gonna take out NED before spamming mix and reset until I hit shin.

Dark Sigh (eye drop + dragon fang) doesn't miss.

Edit: are you on Mobile? Did Matrix gently caress up Dark Sigh?

derra fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 29, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

That's not "Ranger bad", it's "Omega is a giant pain in the dick without Bard, Beastmaster, or Time Mage".

Eh, it implied that it was worse than Ninja for the fight.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derra posted:

Eh, it implied that it was worse than Ninja for the fight.

About even. Lightning scrolls are good and only trigger 1 counter.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

derra posted:

Yes. But I won't let that stop me. I took out Omega so I can take out a dumb dragon.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

About even. Lightning scrolls are good and only trigger 1 counter.

With out a magic job or elemental boost my experience is the damage is negligible. Throw can work, but not on a no 750 party.

derra fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 29, 2017

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

derra posted:

matrix changed a lot of mixes away from auto hitting, cause of course they did

KR_Serenade
Apr 27, 2015

8-Bit Mischief Maker

Dumb Dragon Victory

And death to the giant cactuar.

Also Bosch victory

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

fits posted:

matrix changed a lot of mixes away from auto hitting, cause of course they did

Oddly enough, even though regular Phoenix down missed on the three pigs, mixing 2 was an auto hit. So they aren't even consistent with their own changes.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Haha, so far Knight, Mystic Knight, Ninja...I'm just ripping through everything with no grinding so far and don't see that stopping. Guess this makes up for my past two runs which had a bunch of lovely classes like Thief and Monk. (Don't worry I know the game will find a way to gently caress with me)

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
Run two, Berserker, Freelancer (was originally a Mime, but paid to downgrade), Ninja and Thief.

So team crime, Thief made Freelancer quite fun, just equipping all the odd items.

Lived the Dream of Dual Wielding Brave Blade and Ragnarok, which was quite silly.

Got frustrated with Omega, so onto maybe one more run.

Oh yeah, if we're still counting full power Brave Blades, here's one.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
good news:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/880313368321572864

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

JerikTelorian posted:

With Phoenix I was able to rez the party (with max MP!) and seal the deal with some Boosted Syldras. A fun ending for sure. Thanks for the help all!

Yeah, one thing that's often forgotten about Phoenix is that it revives the target with full HP and full MP, so with more than one Summoner, you can essentially keep your MP going indefinitely. Which I suppose would be more useful if MP conservation was ever a big concern, but hey. :v:

I'm glad to see you enjoyed your first Fiesta run. Hopefully, you'll be able to participate again.

derra posted:

Just curios, why does everyone say Ranger sucks? Rapidfire always hits and ignores defense. The only reason it's not the default best option is because it specifically triggers two sets of counters.

For Omega or in general? For Omega, they're great. In general, they're pretty meh until you get !Rapid Fire.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, one thing that's often forgotten about Phoenix is that it revives the target with full HP and full MP, so with more than one Summoner, you can essentially keep your MP going indefinitely. Which I suppose would be more useful if MP conservation was ever a big concern, but hey. :v:

I'm glad to see you enjoyed your first Fiesta run. Hopefully, you'll be able to participate again.

For Omega or in general? For Omega, they're great. In general, they're pretty meh until you get !Rapid Fire.

!animal is a pretty decent source of healing in the early game.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

Summoner can only equip knives and rods, so it's wonder rod only for them.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Welp, Basch may live but he's runnin' late. NED was a dick to me repeatedly so I just ground up way higher than I had any need to by Requieming the entire population of the Great Sea Trench to their second deaths.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Reminder that Power Staff is pointless since every job that can use it has other ways to Berserk.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Reminder that Power Staff is pointless since every job that can use it has other ways to Berserk.

Time Mage.

Power staff is more convenient for it than Wonder Rod.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, instant access to Berserk without any MP cost or having to continually cycle through the Wonder Wand is pretty nice. A surprising number of enemies in this game can be shut down with the spell, especially since it never misses.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Also I prefer grinding the staff to doing Island Shrine and Fork Tower cuz I'm lazy. A bit of XP before Exdeath never hurts either.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Mega64 posted:

I'd argue it's pretty useful for a Red Mage, who may need to Berserk things more than once in the entire game, and nothing is worth cycling the Wonder Rod all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
I'm too late for Basch, but the moment I got my Earth job this time around, I knew what I had to do.

And, furthermore,

Ergo,

• Locked thread