Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

question is there any shadowruns I should NOT get?

All of the Shadowrun: Returns games are phenomenal. What you may wanna do is double check on the first one. It's easily the weakest, in terms of UI and menu navigation. The action menus are a little clunky during combat, but after Dragonfall came out, Harebrained actually reworked the first one and added it as a secondary campaign. I don't know if you need to own the first game to get that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Dogmeat posted:

Did Mad Max turn out ok? I remember some complaining about it when it came out but now the reviews look really good and it's pretty cheap.

Also is Elite Dangerous still worth getting or has some other new space sim hotness usurped it?

A lot of the critics didn't like it because the "currency" is doled out to you while scavenging in ridiculously tiny amounts until you progress enough to learn the ways of earning it that are so much better that it isn't even worth it to go scavenging for it. The batman combat in outposts is the same as in other games, but the desert is really nice looking and the car combat tremendous fun. I paid full price and felt I got my money's worth, so for eight bucks it's great.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Skypie posted:

now I gotta figure out what Crusader Kings 2 DLC to get

Old Gods(VIKINGS! and a new start date) and Way of Life is probably the most important ones.

Other than that, it depends on where you want to play, Sword of Islam for muslims, Rajas of India for India, Horse Lords for some OP Horde poo poo, Sons of Abraham is nice If you play as a christian or jew, The republic for merchant republics, Reapers due and Monk and Mystics are both really good, tho Monks and Mystics is mostly for the organized religions(christianity, islam). Charlemagne pushed backs the timeline and add some story campaign stuff.
People are still out on conclave but I think it's good. Legacy of rome adds retines which is nice when you are big but makes no difference if you are a count.

Skip the ruler designer and eu 4 converter, just get a mod and never convert you game.
The portrait packs are nice for some flavour If you know you are gonna put a couple of 100 into the game.

Fake edit: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Downloadable_content

Also: People should buy domina, it's fun.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Skypie posted:

but after Dragonfall came out, Harebrained actually reworked the first one and added it as a secondary campaign. I don't know if you need to own the first game to get that, though.

You sure on that? Can't find anything about a revamp that's included or can be bought.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Zombiepop posted:

Old Gods(VIKINGS! and a new start date) and Way of Life is probably the most important ones.

Other than that, it depends on where you want to play, Sword of Islam for muslims, Rajas of India for India, Horse Lords for some OP Horde poo poo, Sons of Abraham is nice If you play as a christian or jew, The republic for merchant republics, Reapers due and Monk and Mystics are both really good, tho Monks and Mystics is mostly for the organized religions(christianity, islam). Charlemagne pushed backs the timeline and add some story campaign stuff.
People are still out on conclave but I think it's good. Legacy of rome adds retines which is nice when you are big but makes no difference if you are a count.

Skip the ruler designer and eu 4 converter, just get a mod and never convert you game.
The portrait packs are nice for some flavour If you know you are gonna put a couple of 100 into the game.

Fake edit: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Downloadable_content

Also: People should buy domina, it's fun.

Sons of Abraham also lets you pull a hitler by disowning the jews and deporting them.
(technically you borrow 300 gold from jewish merchants and then be able to "expel the jewry" so you dont have to pay them back.)

Also yes, Domina is incredibly fun.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Are they any good CK2 nations for an African start?

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

ultrabindu posted:

Are they any good CK2 nations for an African start?

Not really, west africa has not gotten any expansion or love, but ethiopia or semien can be fun, especially If you got monks and mystics so you can start a secret cult and eat the abbasid empire from within.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

mike12345 posted:

You sure on that? Can't find anything about a revamp that's included or can be bought.

So I double checked on this and apparently you do need to own both Shadowrun: Returns and Dragonfall: Director's Cut. It involves moving a bunch of files so it's not as immediate as I'd believed

Here's the guide if anyone is interested. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=343908392

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Dogmeat posted:

Did Mad Max turn out ok? I remember some complaining about it when it came out but now the reviews look really good and it's pretty cheap.

Great question / name combo.

I loved Fury Road and I love this "not fury road" game. The story is weird, but it's like any of the Mad Max stories after the first movie.

It's a super fun beat em up game with car customization, resource management (kind of) and questing. I bought it for $20 and it was totally worth it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Skypie posted:

hm yeah, that's fair. The menu and customization are...kinda clunky. I just really enjoyed swinging a huge, gently caress-off axe and buttstomping monsters to death with the Amazon.
I think we would have had a lot of fun if we could all use menus at the same time instead of one by one. Half of us were not-native English speakers also, which certainly didn't help.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think we would have had a lot of fun if we could all use menus at the same time instead of one by one. Half of us were not-native English speakers also, which certainly didn't help.

Oh wow, I actually totally forgot only one person could be in a menu at a time. Yeah whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired into the sun. For what it's worth, that same dev did a game called Odin Sphere Leifthrasir which, apparently, doesn't have some of those weird problems and it has a lot less T&A designs. I've not personally played it, but my buddy who enjoyed Dragon's Crown said Odin Sphere was a better game in every way imaginable.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Dear gbs steam sale thread

What are good multiplayer games on sale. I don't know poo poo about multiplayer competitive games

Had a friend who liked tf2 specifically, not overwatch not dead rising and not paladins, but tf2 and played it with me and his friend group but his friend group doesn't like tf2 anymore. Thought I might try to start something else up.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i bought 8 games from my wishlist for $24

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What are good multiplayer games on sale. I don't know poo poo about multiplayer competitive games

Had a friend who liked tf2 specifically, not overwatch not dead rising and not paladins, but tf2 and played it with me and his friend group but his friend group doesn't like tf2 anymore. Thought I might try to start something else up.

one of the sad things is that PC MP games die p fast and end up just a couple hundred incestuous dedicated fucks after a year or so later. Unless i'ts a really big game like tf2, cs:go, overwatch. i think your best bet would be CS:GO, Overwatch and BF1. BF1 recently got an update I think so maybe its more people but it was declining al ot and the best modes (Operations) is complete wasteland. probably still worth a shot getting BF1 though it's a p good game.

theres taht cliffy B game Overwatch-clone coming out called Lawbreakers, it might be ok but lol cliffyb

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I haven't played it but vermintide is on offer and is a warhammer left 4 dead.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I did get the three jackbox games for 25 (usually 75) bucks but that's not the same thing...

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Chivalry.

Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

"FOR AGAuuuuuuhudshdjadhj *gurgling as head comes off* from the team mate's huge axes"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i bought fallout new vargas + all DLCz

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.
What the gently caress Domina, how the gently caress do I train more than one champion in my roster of buff dudes when I get pitted against dudes twice bigger than mine, I'm running out of money and food gently caress

Also caved in and bought CK 2 got instant migraine from the UI, who thought that making button 5x5px and just littering them EVERYWHERE was a good idea

Nebelwerfer fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 30, 2017

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Chivalry.

"FOR AGAuuuuuuhudshdjadhj *gurgling as head comes off* from the team mate's huge axes"

agreed, team swordtress is cool and good

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jose posted:

dragons dogma has a romance system that is determined by how much a character likes you and can result in every npc in the game being who gets rescued at the end. most of the time this will be the princess or female knight involved in most major quests but you can get the castle jester instead because you can give items to people to ensure its them

I sort of think the romance thing in the game was sort of wrong way around and should have been used differently to make the storyline more varied. I guess you have all these potential love interest characters, maybe work them into directly affecting your party and the storyline sooner in the game and have an option of replacing one of the pawns with them.

Some examples of what I mean using a few random love interests from the game:

So, you might end up with a character who is lost but feels an almost religious devotion to the Arisen.
When they join your party, they will always fight anyone who threatens you.
They aren't even a love interest as much at first, just incredibly devoted to you in a sense of hero worship because they think you give them purpose in life after they've been disgraced.

Another character might be a bit of a conniving self-interested treasure seeker person who will join you.
They're good in a fight, and great finding extra rare treasures during looting, but sometimes they will keep a portion of all gold for themselves.
They are maybe a little sweet on you, but in the end they'll claim joining up with you was just a means to enhance their own reputation.

Another character might be some royal who cannot go on a fight with you due to their status, but they will sponsor an extra pawn of your choosing in their place
While they do nothing for you in battle, but each time you earn more XP and return to them they'll grant you a boon of gold for your efforts in ridding the lands of monsters.
Not so much a romance in the loving sense, but the romance they want from you is in the form of tales and adventures you have had that is so far from their castle life.

Etc.

The storyline can sort of be different by the end based on who you took into your party and what their story is.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
dragons dogma yes or no

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i bought three roguelikes: caves of qud, neo scavenger and dungeons of the endless. because i hate fun

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

dragons dogma yes or no

its extremely good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dragon's dogma is bizarre at times but really fun.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

wolves hunt in packs!!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you can set yourself on fire and jump on large monsters to kill them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its a good Berserk game too

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Dogmeat posted:

Also is Elite Dangerous still worth getting or has some other new space sim hotness usurped it?

As someone who has over 400 hours played in Elite Dangerous, I feel like I should speak up in support of the game.

If you like the idea of flying a spaceship in space and possibly shooting at dudes or mining space rocks, the game is excellent. The spaceship handling and sound direction are top-notch. I'm told it's even better in VR, but I haven't tried that. It's not quite as much of a simulator as Euro Truck Simulator or something like that, but it's fairly sim-heavy while still having arcadey combat.

This does mean that if you want things like "direction in a game" or "new-player-friendly experience", Elite Dangerous may not be good. It is, uh, rough to get started and understand everything. And then you can spend incredibly long amounts of time semi-idly jumping from star to star, trying to get to your destination. Jumping between two neighboring stars can take around a minute, if you're going quick, and you might need to do 10 or 20 star hops to get where you're going... or even hundreds of hops if you're going somewhere distant. Many people watch Netflix while traveling long distances.

But like I said, spaceship handling is fantastic, and if you want to go land on the moons of Jupiter, you can. Visit nebulae! Try to fly into a black hole! Space tourism is part of the reason I keep playing. It's a very pretty game. But it might not be for everyone. The Horizons expansion allows you to land on airless rocky planetary bodies, too, so that's super cool. If you get it, maybe just get the base game first to see how you like it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i like the idea of elite but gently caress if i have time to spend hours of just traveling in a game

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Thanks, I'm still kind of on the fence though. I think I'm wanting it to be a newer X3: Albion Prelude and it looks like it's not really the same thing. Being able to automate your spare ships and also speed up time have spoiled me to other space sims, though I realize they aren't super easy to implement in multiplayer. That said, 15 bucks is also not a whole lot of money for an entire galaxy.

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Chivalry.

dang I wish I saw this before I bought dumb old For Honor at full price.

Also, where the hell is the new Mount and Blade?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

i bought fallout new vargas + all DLCz

Welcome to being a real cool dude :c00l:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
new vegas would be good if the world was 10x bigger. no real wasteland feel, it's just a big parking lot

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Dyna Soar posted:

new vegas would be good if the world was 10x bigger. no real wasteland feel, it's just a big parking lot

I never got the hype. It feels smallish and the quests are like MMO staple.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

people who put a million hours into bethesda games need their brains examined

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

mike12345 posted:

I never got the hype. It feels smallish and the quests are like MMO staple.

exactly. also they took all the zany theme park poo poo from fallout 2 and ran it to the ground

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Jose posted:

people who put a million hours into bethesda games need their brains examined

if you have a steam friend with thousands of hours in TES games there is a pretty big chance that he is a pedophile

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It's not supposed to be about exploring some big world, it's a smaller more intimate world that has some real good quests, characters, and writing. Yeah there's bad "go here and fetch me poo poo for money" quests, but there's also quests where you help your companion deal with the fact he committed war crimes, help another deal with his family and friends history of being "the bad guys". As well, almost every quest no matter how small, ties into the central conflict of the story which I really love.

If you play it as some open world romp across the wasteland then yeah you're not going to have fun.

Dyna Soar posted:

exactly. also they took all the zany theme park poo poo from fallout 2 and ran it to the ground

Outside of old world blues, the base game doesn't really do this? Like yeah there's the wild wasteland trait (that you have to intentionally pick) and poo poo like FISTO, but it's not overbearing.

Also fallout 2 was good, fight me :colbert:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
fallout 2 is really good despite it's flaws but fallout 1 is superior in every way except the the UI.

new vegas itself is a theme park, worse than new reno. that gang of elvis impersonators was some real stupid poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

fallout 2 is really good despite it's flaws but fallout 1 is superior in every way except the the UI.

new vegas itself is a theme park, worse than new reno. that gang of elvis impersonators was some real stupid poo poo.

Actually, The Kings are extremely cool and good.

• Locked thread