Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

I saw somewhere that Altria sucks but no explanation as to why. She is my 5 star, and I'm rather fond of her from Stay Night, which is all I've seen of the series. I'm not going to reroll or anything because I have some 5 star equip stuff and I'm into Orleans too, I'm just curious why she isn't better regarded.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Altera/Atilla, who really isn't all that great, and not Altria (aka Saber/Arturia/Artoria/Arthur), who's a pretty solid 5 star?

Wanna punch whoever made these localization decisions btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DrManiac posted:

Is there a good write up on CE yet?
Higher rarity cards are always better than equivalent lower rarity ones.
Less situational is better than more situational.

Crit-related CEs (both stargen and crit damage) aren't super useful until a few months down the line when we start getting servants with enough hitcounts to actually make a significant number of stars, although it's not nearly as dire as JP release day 'cause Quick cards are already buffed. The best CEs will be cards that straight up give you stars per turn, anyways.
Buster/Arts/Quick Up are always useful 'cause they boost damage (especially if the NP is matching color) and NP/stargen.
NP damage is useful but more situational than regular damage buffs since it only works with NPs.
Starting NP is literally never bad.
NP gen can be pretty useful.
Debuff resist is lol, so far not even the spammiest debuffer has ever warranted using such a CE.
Def Up is not bad but this has always been a bit of a rocket tag game, it's better to try to kill ASAP. Later on stall becomes useful but it's still recommended to try and maximize damage output.

Later events will start giving some very useful CEs that reduce the need for gacha CEs.

New Leaf posted:

I saw somewhere that Altria sucks but no explanation as to why. She is my 5 star, and I'm rather fond of her from Stay Night, which is all I've seen of the series. I'm not going to reroll or anything because I have some 5 star equip stuff and I'm into Orleans too, I'm just curious why she isn't better regarded.
She's got a very simple kit and not particularly stellar raw stats. She doesn't really suck, but she doesn't shine either.
She also gets outshined by Alter because Alter has an inexplicably boosted NP damage value.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 29, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Altria" would not be so bad if it wasn't so so similar to "Altera"; I really wish they had stuck with either Artoria/Arturia and/or Atilla.

Related but I am desperate for the first rateup for Altria Alter, Saber is easily my biggest weakness at the moment.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Bakanogami posted:

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Altera/Atilla, who really isn't all that great, and not Altria (aka Saber/Arturia/Artoria/Arthur), who's a pretty solid 5 star?

Wanna punch whoever made these localization decisions btw.

Post 2 on page 1 has a FAQ that asks what 5 stars are good and it says Altria sucks. I dunno, I don't have anyone to gauge her against so I'm going to keep on trucking.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
they'll pry artoria or arturia out of my cold dead hands

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
She's very much an all-rounder Servant when it's generally preferred to have each Servant do one or two things really really well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Artoria is bad since Artoria Alter exists and she does the exact same poo poo she does for less cost and when grailed her attack is actually higher begging why you would use normal Artoria aside from waifu dedication

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also pencils

http://fgo-sps.com/intro.html

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Well I'm glad to see the Altria team come together to support her awesome because somehow I just got a second one..

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

pencils...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Actually if Altria Alter's rateup is not going to be for 6 months maybe I should just bite the bullet and roll now.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Agartha gives extra BP to women (and traps)

Time to bond with Astolfo :mrgw:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't understand half the words itt.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nate RFB posted:

Altria Alter

god I hate it even more now

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.

Blockhouse posted:

god I hate it even more now

Saltria fuels you.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am down with a tacit thread understanding that everyone just go with Arturia/Artoria.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I've seen conflicting reports on this: Did the shop on JP always have 5 tickets for sale each month, or was it five tickets total for the first year before becoming monthly?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I am down with a tacit thread understanding that everyone just go with Arturia/Artoria.

Why the change i wonder, it was Artoria in the official translations for fate/zero and UBW wasn't it? I was very confused by it in this game, i think i thought it was actually a different Saber altogether to be honest.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Just call em Saber, Atilla, Saber Alter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a kitten posted:

Why the change, it was Artoria in the official translations for fate/zero and UBW wasn't it? I was very confused by it in this game, i think i thought it was actually a different Saber altogether to be honest.
because type moon is dumb

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly, I can't remember the names so I just call them Regular Saber/Red Saber/French Saber/Evil Regular Saber, etc

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'Nero', 'White Nero' and 'People who are not Nero and therefore not important'

(What were they thinking when they wrote Septem)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at launch they didnt think people would be THAT into the story and while orleans still came out decent septem and fuyuki are the two worst written arcs in the game by a mile

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

a kitten posted:

Why the change i wonder, it was Artoria in the official translations for fate/zero and UBW wasn't it? I was very confused by it in this game, i think i thought it was actually a different Saber altogether to be honest.

Supposedly this was a change ordered directly by Type-Moon, so blame it on the people there being poor at english. Or possibly they're just screwing with everybody.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
The fact that people would rather argue name purity over the quality of puns that Altria brings is the real tragedy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Velyoukai posted:

The fact that people would rather argue name purity over the quality of puns that Altria brings is the real tragedy.

arturia/artoria is easier to rework into other names

like archuria

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

at launch they didnt think people would be THAT into the story and while orleans still came out decent septem and fuyuki are the two worst written arcs in the game by a mile

Yeah, I've finally been making some real progress through the story on my JP account and things pick up so much better it's astounding. The story's a total slog up through rome and then starts to get good.

Now if only they could find a way to escape the curse of being attacked by mooks and interrupting their conversations every thirty seconds.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 29, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Between the mediocre anime of Fuyuki and having redo the Prologue a bunch for rerolls I've grown to intensely dislike the story for the first singularity, but I kind of knew it was kind of eh to begin with so that wasn't surprising. Just treated it as a Quartz/FP farm (from Cu Caster).

E: So I know from this that Nero is added to the summoning pool after Septem, but what is the difference between her and say Mordred who is not a Limited Servant but also seemingly not unlocked by clearing something later? Is it a case that the summoning pool simply gets updated passively for all players and all of a sudden players will start getting Mordred in rolls regardless of where they are in the story?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 29, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

Yeah, I've finally been making some real progress through the story on my JP account and things pick up so much better it's astounding. The story's a total slog up through rome and then starts to get good.

Now if only they could find a way to escape the curse of being attacked by mooks and interrupting their conversations every thirty seconds.
Nasu actually joked about what bad writing that was and how he's glad they've finally started to get away from that in a recent interview.

Nate RFB posted:

Between the mediocre anime of Fuyuki and having redo the Prologue a bunch for rerolls I've grown to intensely dislike the story for the first singularity, but I kind of knew it was kind of eh to begin with so that wasn't surprising. Just treated it as a Quartz/FP farm (from Cu Caster).

E: So I know from this that Nero is added to the summoning pool after Septem, but what is the difference between her and say Mordred who is not a Limited Servant but also seemingly not unlocked by clearing something later? Is it a case that the summoning pool simply gets updated passively for all players and all of a sudden players will start getting Mordred in rolls regardless of where they are in the story?

yeah, but usually there's an announcement and a rate-up for them when they get added, even if they aren't limited, so it's not really sudden/surprising.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like people spoilers on the identities of the servants in the new JP event are starting to show up. What's the policy on JP spoilers in here?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Astolfo is my friend, and he's going to be added to the US gacha next tuesday.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bakanogami posted:

Looks like people spoilers on the identities of the servants in the new JP event are starting to show up. What's the policy on JP spoilers in here?

Story content should be held off on or black barred, servant identities are fine since those are gonna get passed around regardless since no one wants to say "Shinjuku Archer" when referring to James loving Moriarty.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Baal posted:

Story content should be held off on or black barred, servant identities are fine since those are gonna get passed around regardless since no one wants to say "Shinjuku Archer" when referring to James loving Moriarty.

Especially when one of those servant identities is so incredibly, painfully obvious I can't believe they even bothered keeping it a secret

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

New Leaf posted:

Well I'm glad to see the Altria team come together to support her awesome because somehow I just got a second one..

Just use her. You won't regret it. There isn't anything that she can't wreck at this stage of the game. She'll always be really good for clearing out EXP dailies. By the time you get to content where it becomes apparent that she is outclassed, you'll have ways around it. There are multiple versions of Altria across most of the classes so don't be disappointed if the OG one is bad. A couple of them are pretty decent. A couple of them are worse, but don't focus on that.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I think the fundamental thing that needs to be repeated is that you can finish most of the game with almost anything. Some dudes just make it simpler early on to wreck things than others.

Are the Lancer Artorias any good? Never rolled any of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lancer Artoria is okay, Alter is better.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm going to spend everything on that purple lancer

or the Melty blood character....?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did you just call ryougi a melty blood character

edit: also you get ryougi for free from the kara no kyoukai event anyway

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I figure Camelot brings the normal version, but when is Lancer Artoria Alter added? Is there an agreed upon shorthand for that character so I don't have to type that out again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I figure Camelot brings the normal version, but when is Lancer Artoria Alter added? Is there an agreed upon shorthand for that character so I don't have to type that out again?

Lalter is the shorthand and she comes during London which is the 4th Singularity.