Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'll have a "Green Negroni" with Midori, bartender, posthaste.

Alex Grey TOOL album cover art brain with tendrils that are growing other brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

If you have any decently stocked Latin grocery stores you can get to, you might be able to find the pulp in their freezer section under the GOYA brand. It's pretty inexpensive and the only ingredient is passion fruit pulp, and they even make some that comes in individual sized portions.

I've called or stopped by all of those places I have locally and haven't seen any, but I'll give it another go since it's been over a year since I've gone that route.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

The Maestro posted:

... If she's not into sour, sweet, or spiritous, that leaves you...bitter, bubbly, savory/earthy, herbal. Probably a couple more.

Gin is very versatile though, is the good news. Also, whenever I deal with ennui, I go super seasonal. Take whatever you usually make, and make it summery. Add melon and mint. Fig and thyme. Strawberry and jalapeño...

This is right on. I'm looking for savory/earthy/herbal drinks (bitter, not so much, that's more my thing). Thinking about seasonal produce is a good idea; maybe I'll just involve more fresh fruit and herbs in things like rickeys; maybe do some infusions as well. I'll definitely try a Gin Picnic as well, thanks.

Also, everyone else, thanks for the rest of the ideas. Champagne cocktails and French 75s are always big hits (Seelbachs less so), because who doesn't like champagne? I guess I should keep some small bottles of champagne around and try an Airmail. Negronis are no good, but she does like lighter Spanish-style vermouth on the rocks with an orange slice, so maybe an Americano won't be too bitter/intense. Similarly, she enjoys a 2:1 martini a few times a year, but they're just too spirit-forward for frequent drinking; I should try the 1:1 and see how that works out. All the tiki stuff is great flavor-wise but again falls into the too-sweet category for most moods other than "dessert after a small dinner" (we're generally talking about a "prefers a rickey over a fizz" level of dryness preference here).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

anyone know anything about the potential toxicity of homemade tonic syrup? just read this about quinine poisoning .... kinda funny the guy with the story has a company that sells tonic syrup tho 🤔🤔

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Zima dosed with Aperol with a twist of lime is trashy and delicious.

I should be ashamed but I'm not.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

goferchan posted:

anyone know anything about the potential toxicity of homemade tonic syrup? just read this about quinine poisoning .... kinda funny the guy with the story has a company that sells tonic syrup tho 🤔🤔

Everything Avery said is factually correct. You seem to have eluded the part where he works with quinine often and so has a buildup in the system which made it easier to overdose.

If you make your own, get a micron strainer and be mindful of your extraction times. I've done it for years at scale and haven't made anyone sick (that I'm aware of).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

Everything Avery said is factually correct. You seem to have eluded the part where he works with quinine often and so has a buildup in the system which made it easier to overdose.

Lol I did kinda skip over that part, thank you.

I clarified some juice for the first time today because our kitchen had way too much watermelon. Here's my before and after:

I did the quick and dirty agar method described in this post from Dave Arnold and I was pretty happy with the results. Not sure if you can see it in the pic but there are definitely still a few solids in there... not sure if I just need better cheesecloth or if I messed something up in the actual cooking process. Tastes great and the silky texture is something else. I have no idea what to do with it though! Open to all suggestions... I think it would play well with a little touch of absinthe but I don't know with what base spirit.

edit: lol speaking of not reading things I totally missed the line at the end where he suggests passing it thru a coffee filter at the very end of the process to get any remaining particles out. guess i'll do that tomorrow!

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 6, 2017

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Speaking of melons - anybody have good prep recipes where the flavor actually keeps for longer than a couple days? Juicing every day is a pain, trying to freeze it is a pain, and syrups and shrubs just don't keep flavor.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

goferchan posted:

I clarified some juice for the first time today because our kitchen had way too much watermelon. Here's my before and after:

I did the quick and dirty agar method described in this post from Dave Arnold and I was pretty happy with the results. Not sure if you can see it in the pic but there are definitely still a few solids in there... not sure if I just need better cheesecloth or if I messed something up in the actual cooking process. Tastes great and the silky texture is something else. I have no idea what to do with it though! Open to all suggestions... I think it would play well with a little touch of absinthe but I don't know with what base spirit.

edit: lol speaking of not reading things I totally missed the line at the end where he suggests passing it thru a coffee filter at the very end of the process to get any remaining particles out. guess i'll do that tomorrow!

On 'Merica Day I had a drink with Gin, Watermelon juice, Aperol, lime, and soda. Did a few variations on it, and just the base gin and watermelon worked well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

goferchan posted:

I did the quick and dirty agar method described in this post from Dave Arnold and I was pretty happy with the results. Not sure if you can see it in the pic but there are definitely still a few solids in there... not sure if I just need better cheesecloth or if I messed something up in the actual cooking process. Tastes great and the silky texture is something else. I have no idea what to do with it though! Open to all suggestions...

Clarified watermelon reminds me a lot of cucumber. Maybe something with Hendricks?

The separated red solids, I've been toying with the idea of making a watermelon Bloody Mary with them

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Picked up a bottle of cachaca, suggest me a punch.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
Figured this is the right place to ask. Anyone have recommendations for cocktail bars in Charleston, SC?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Gin Joint is pretty great from what I hear

I threw together a Jungle Bird riff tonight using Capaletti Sfumato Rubarbaro, which is a smoked rhubarb amaro and it was really freaking good

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

trauma llama posted:

Figured this is the right place to ask. Anyone have recommendations for cocktail bars in Charleston, SC?

I haven't been to The Gin Joint yet, but I'll second it on the basis of good reviews from people I've talked to plus their menu being more interesting than most.

492 is primarily a (great) restaurant, but their cocktails are consistently interesting and good.

Cane is a relatively new rum bar. I've only been a couple times, but I enjoyed every drink I tried.

I haven't been, but a few bartenders I've asked offhand have spoken well of the bar at the Dewberry. I've only been once, and that as DD, but I think their deal is competently made standards. Makes sense for a hotel bar, I guess.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Toast Museum posted:

I haven't been to The Gin Joint yet, but I'll second it on the basis of good reviews from people I've talked to plus their menu being more interesting than most.

492 is primarily a (great) restaurant, but their cocktails are consistently interesting and good.

Cane is a relatively new rum bar. I've only been a couple times, but I enjoyed every drink I tried.

I haven't been, but a few bartenders I've asked offhand have spoken well of the bar at the Dewberry. I've only been once, and that as DD, but I think their deal is competently made standards. Makes sense for a hotel bar, I guess.

Thanks! I had heard the Dewberry had a pretty great bar, but haven't been. One of our usual spots is Edmund's Oast, but I wanted to try some new places now that I live here.

Thanks for the Gin Joint recommendations, I haven't been there yet. Looks like we'll be making a stop this weekend.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

trauma llama posted:

Gin Joint is pretty great, just go early if you like siting at the bar cuz it gets insane.

I really enjoyed the bar at McCrady's. Pretty low key but still fancy, great bartenders who had time to bullshit. food was good too. Great place if you like ordering drinks off-menu.

Xiao Bao Biscuit is super fun, and a must visit. Great drinks and food, definitely a more casual place.

The Belmont was ok. I think we stayed for one drink there. It was good but the place was way too busy and the bartenders were stretched. I think if you went when it wasn't packed it would be awesome.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I think Husk is overrated, but their adjacent bar is supposed to be good (and apparently has a great burger, if you're looking for dinner too).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I enjoyed the Rarebit a lot, but I'm biased.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
Stoked to check out some of these suggestions. I just moved down here a few months ago thanks.

Didn't realize there were so many SC people or people who have passed through Charleston.

If anyone is ever in Greenville, SC be sure to check out Vault and Vator great new cocktail bar downtown. Very limited seating, but it's low key, the bartenders are knowledgeable and attentive, and they are not stretched thin at all. Just don't expect to be on your phone all night and accept that it'll be a little dark in there.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Yeah, I didn't expect this many Charleston connections either.

This thread motivated me to finally check out the Gin Joint. Overall, I had a good time and enjoyed the cocktails I tried.

TRIP REPORT:

Day Party - Rosehip-infused Woody Creek gin, vanilla, lemon, Yellow Chartreuse, Kina L’Aero, Petal & Thorn vermouth, sparkling wine. My friend ordered this, so I only had a sip, but it seemed lovely. Somewhat sweet up-front, slightly bitter finish, and very refreshing overall.

Merchant & Seaman - Leopold Bros. navy strength gin, lime, coffee, Laphroaig, Luxardo Maraschino, Bing cherries, wheat beer. Peat/smoke from the Laphroaig was prominent up-front, with the wheat beer noticeable on the finish. Pad Thai-flavored popcorn arrived mid-drink, and despite being sort of grown-up Cracker Jack, it made for a pretty striking example of food/drink pairing. The residual heat and sweetness from the popcorn seemed to change the drink entirely.

Summer Camp - Corsair Triple Smoke Whiskey, burnt marshmallow syrup, Pedro Ximenez sherry, lemon, Ramazzotti, Green Chartreuse, Angostura bitters, charcoal, burnt mallow. I'm not sure how to describe this one. Despite the theme, it seemed less smoky than the last drink. Overall, the flavor seemed both familiar but difficult to place. The toasted marshmallow garnish was used to good effect here, as the whiff of burnt sugar while leaning in for a sip was noticeable and actually seemed important to the drink.

Besides the popcorn I mentioned earlier, we got a meat and cheese plate and some blueberry cobbler. The meat/cheese plate seemed a little scanty for the price, but the cobbler was nice. Their food menu definitely leans more toward snacks than meals, so plan accordingly, but I was happy with the flavor of everything.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Does anyone have any pointers on making vanilla or cinnamon syrups cold-process?

I was thinking about maybe doing an extraction with the vanilla or cinnamon, then add it to cold-process sugar syrup. At that point, would I be just as well off to use vanilla extract for the v syrup? I'd probably have to make cinnamon extract regardless. And I'm guessing water will extract different compounds from the spices than alcohol.

If no one around here has done it before, I may do it for science anyway.

E: Just realized I could steep the spices in hot water, let it cool, then make the syrup with it. Gonna try that, but other suggestions are welcome.

pgroce fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 23, 2017

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Glycerine extracts flavors similarly to how alcohol does, and it tastes sweet, but some people aren't glycerine fans.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I think sugar would pull flavor out of a vanilla bean, and you could add water later. Not sure though.

Cinnamon and other hard (or powdered) spice syrups are ones I've always done hot. So I'm curious too!

When I use vanilla extract, I use Demerara sugar so the color is unaffected. I do half a tsp per 10oz syrup.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I like to do a burnt cinnamon syrup. Use your handy torch to char whole cinnamon sticks. Quench in simple syrup(really good with demerara), rest it for a couple days.

Also seconding the idea of making vanilla sugar. Split, scrape, muddle, and rest the sugar. Should pull out some solid flavors

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Trip report: Both the vanilla and cinnamon syrups came out quite well!

For each, I steeped the spice (4 3" sticks of cassia for the cinnamon syrup, about 3" of vanilla bean for the vanilla syrup) in a cup of simmering-ish water for 8-10 minutes. (I started with 190F-ish water and microwaved it at 50% power in the microwave, because I didn't feel like messing with the stove.)

After that I let it cool to around 90-100F (I was impatient) and did cold-process 1:1 syrup with a cup of white sugar. (I think Demerara would add complexity, but I wanted to be able to judge how much flavor I got without that Demerara-ness in the way.)

So, success. I should try the glycerine idea; I'm definitely curious what the spices would taste like uncooked. We normally eat them cooked though, so I'd say I got what I want from this particular project.

The Bandit posted:

I like to do a burnt cinnamon syrup. Use your handy torch to char whole cinnamon sticks. Quench in simple syrup(really good with demerara), rest it for a couple days.

Also seconding the idea of making vanilla sugar. Split, scrape, muddle, and rest the sugar. Should pull out some solid flavors

Burnt cinnamon syrup sounds amazing. And I should make some vanilla sugar too. That would kill in coffee.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Easy enough to save the vanilla bean after making syrup and then letting it sit in sugar.

I forgot about just steeping cinnamon sticks in already made simple syrup, that probably works.

Also if anybody does infusions, save the "scrap." I have cherry bourbon going right now. I strained out one jar, weighed out the cherries, and added half their weight in raw Demerara. After a couple days the sugar pulls a lot of flavor out of the cherries, and now I have slightly boozy cherry syrup and preserved cherries. I'm sure I'll have to add a little water to get the rest of the sugar to dissolve. I've done it with ginger too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Bandit posted:

Yeah this. I always bust up the sticks with a hammer or some pliers too afterwards but I'm not sure how much that actually affects the final product and how much of it is just "it feels good to do this"

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

oh gently caress

quote:

Best American Cocktail Bar

Presented by Lillet
Columbia Room (Washington, D.C)

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
That's fuckin sweet man!!! Congratulations!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WTF I was in DC in September and nobody told me to go! :mad:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

my best friend was at tales and met jeff bell (who is either your coworker or you, if so sorry 4 the doxx) and said he was real cool. congrats homie

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Congrats! Hope you had an awesome time in NOLA!

I visited Columbia Room a couple of weeks ago on the recommendation of this thread and it definitely is all it's cracked up to be. We sat in the punch garden and sampled a few from the 'not a wine list', which is a brilliant concept and fantastically executed.

Fart Car even popped over to say hello and I can confirm he's a chill guy who has probably forgotten more than I have ever known about booze!

We were a bit short on time, so missed out on the tasting menu (next time!) but from what I saw, you guys are worthy winners :toot:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goferchan posted:

my best friend was at tales and met jeff bell (who is either your coworker or you, if so sorry 4 the doxx) and said he was real cool. congrats homie

I've had the pleasure of working with Jeff Bell as he is a friend of the house and I can confirm he is the nicest, coolest, chillest dude.

Randyslawterhouse posted:

Congrats! Hope you had an awesome time in NOLA!

I visited Columbia Room a couple of weeks ago on the recommendation of this thread and it definitely is all it's cracked up to be. We sat in the punch garden and sampled a few from the 'not a wine list', which is a brilliant concept and fantastically executed.

Fart Car even popped over to say hello and I can confirm he's a chill guy who has probably forgotten more than I have ever known about booze!

We were a bit short on time, so missed out on the tasting menu (next time!) but from what I saw, you guys are worthy winners :toot:

Yeah it was a pleasure to host you my man! I'm really glad you enjoyed yourself. Please reach out again next time you're in town :)

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
:eyepop: holy gently caress grats mate!

I have much to catch y'all up on cocktail nerd friends, for now I wanted to drop this article in here and poll the room on price competitive alternatives (that are not Rittenhouse because you can't swap 80 proof out for 100 proof god drat it). I have had good experiences with Old Overholt, but I don't think it's got the same spice level that I appreciate in Bulleit Rye.
Thoughts?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Old Overholt is alright but IMO kinda bland by the standards of rye. I am a big Bulleit fan even if it is made in a rubbing alcohol factory.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Halloween Jack posted:

Old Overholt is alright but IMO kinda bland by the standards of rye. I am a big Bulleit fan even if it is made in a rubbing alcohol factory.

Speaking of Bulleit...

https://www.queerty.com/hollis-bull...i43hOE.facebook

"Hollis Bulleit, daughter of Bulleit Bourbon founder, slams family business for years of homophobia"

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

silvergoose posted:

Speaking of Bulleit...

https://www.queerty.com/hollis-bull...i43hOE.facebook

"Hollis Bulleit, daughter of Bulleit Bourbon founder, slams family business for years of homophobia"

Aye that's the first one I saw, it's being covered by Forbes and a bunch of other outlets as well.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
drat I just ordered a case of rye yesterday.

It's 90 proof, so replace it with....Rittenhouse? Or try wild turkey rye.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
First Flor de Cana and now this.

This is going to keep happening until the only liquor I can legally drink is Jeppson's Malort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

would honestly love to purge my bar of all Diaego stuff but i don't think we could ever get away with it