Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Does a 3DS with b9s and no SD card inserted just act essentially like a completely unhacked 3DS? I've just sold my old 3DS, couldn't be bothered uninstalling a9lh so I just updated to b9s since I knew it worked without an SD card inserted. Hopefully it does work just like an untouched 3DS.

Also were the recent bans completely console wide? I did a factory reset but will any account on it be banned if I got caught in the ban? I haven't even checked, the thing hasn't been turned on before now since I installed a9lh for the first time.

Hopefully even if it is banned the buyer doesn't notice. I'm being very sneaky and risky, just hoping I get away with it :devil:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

sharktamer posted:

Does a 3DS with b9s and no SD card inserted just act essentially like a completely unhacked 3DS? I've just sold my old 3DS, couldn't be bothered uninstalling a9lh so I just updated to b9s since I knew it worked without an SD card inserted. Hopefully it does work just like an untouched 3DS.

Also were the recent bans completely console wide? I did a factory reset but will any account on it be banned if I got caught in the ban? I haven't even checked, the thing hasn't been turned on before now since I installed a9lh for the first time.

Hopefully even if it is banned the buyer doesn't notice. I'm being very sneaky and risky, just hoping I get away with it :devil:.

If you installed b9s to the nand (which you did if you followed the guide to update a9lh to b9s) that console will still have b9s and a form of luma on it unless you uninstalled it from the nand as well.

The bans were consoles only. Your NNID and purchases (and e-shop access) remained working.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
So is Luma 8's region emulation (faking?) fixed yet?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Olivil posted:

Officially no. Someone posted an offshoot build on here with it fixed.

https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/issues/524#issuecomment-306575777 I believe.

edit: at least I think that is what this fixes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Since the OG DS homebrew thread is long-dead, I just wanted to ask anybody that had a lot of experience with DS flash cards:

why did the R4 series have such a brutally awful reputation? Every wiki or thread I saw about flash cards always seemed to have "AVOID R4/i/gold AT ALL COSTS," but I bought a plain old R4 for like $8 in China, and aside from the 2GB microSD limitation, I literally never had a single issue with it. No incompatibility, the firmware was updated as often as it needed to be (it was WoodR4 or something like that?), etc.

I still have and love that card in my beat-up pink DS Lite, and the backups for my entire DS collection is small enough to fit on a flash drive; 2GB of games is still a good 15-20 games which is plenty. I just never understood why some of the cards that cost $50+ at the time were so much better supposedly.

Also, why are 16/8-bit system flash carts so drat expensive? I gave up on the SNES and NES ones long ago since they're like $200 and $120 respectively, but even the OG Game Boy one is like $90. I picked up a gray DMG Game Boy and a berry GB Color in excellent shape, and the DMG could be a fun project to add in the backlight and bivert mod, but uuuuugh trying to track down regular GB games nowadays...

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

The R4 had a metric ton of fakes being sold as the real thing and they were kinda lovely. I think that was the main reason it had the bad reputation.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Olivil posted:

Luma 8.1 is out and supposedly fixes region emulation: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Kelp Me! posted:

Also, why are 16/8-bit system flash carts so drat expensive? I gave up on the SNES and NES ones long ago since they're like $200 and $120 respectively, but even the OG Game Boy one is like $90. I picked up a gray DMG Game Boy and a berry GB Color in excellent shape, and the DMG could be a fun project to add in the backlight and bivert mod, but uuuuugh trying to track down regular GB games nowadays...

A reasonable SNES one is around $90, it's only $200 for the sd2snes which while cool only gives you so much over the much cheaper one.

Some of the cost is because the FPGAs to simulate the memory mappers just aren't that cheap, though a lot of the cost is because these are pretty small batches. Like the R4s and clones were cheap because tons of people were buying them and tons were being made, but when you're making a few hundred PCBs at a time and not at a factory it's just more expensive that way.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

havenwaters posted:

The R4 had a metric ton of fakes being sold as the real thing and they were kinda lovely. I think that was the main reason it had the bad reputation.

To add on to this, a lot of the clones had timebomb code to brick the cart after a year

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Foehammer posted:

To add on to this, a lot of the clones had timebomb code to brick the cart after a year

haha really holy poo poo really?

I went to this little mall with like 20 vendors selling all kinds of crazy bootleg gaming poo poo, and I literally bought the absolute cheapest, most basic R4 card I could find (at this point they had R4i's and R4 Golds and such). Guess I got lucky!

Aside from the usual "Android device shaped exactly like a PSP" type things, a couple of places were selling bootleg DS Lites that were absolutely indistinguishable from the real thing, except for the fact that they were selling them in all kinds of crazy colors and patterns that weren't official. One guy let me pull a random one out of its box and try it out; the firmware looked dead-on and it booted and played both the DS and GBA games I had with me in my actual DS Lite. I honestly would have pegged them as just actual DSLs with custom shells or paint jobs, except for the price; they were selling them for like $60. (this was in 2011 so they were technically outdated by the XL and the DSi, but I think they were still >$100 new at the time). Really should have bought 1 or 2 for the novelty if anything.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Surely they were just that price cos they were stolen or something?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
How risky is a Wii U mod? It looked like there were a few more things to worry about compared to modding a 3DS, in that you could do it through a browser exploit or a game exploit and those being noticably different from each other or something. Should I just go ahead and grab a bigger and card than the one it came with and get one of the games to hack it with?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

How risky is a Wii U mod? It looked like there were a few more things to worry about compared to modding a 3DS, in that you could do it through a browser exploit or a game exploit and those being noticably different from each other or something. Should I just go ahead and grab a bigger and card than the one it came with and get one of the games to hack it with?

Wii u mod just uses the browser to install a ds game exploit which eventually turns into an auto boot ds exploit which is totally fine unless there's an update to the system menu or you delete the ds game.

If an update happens it may gracefully just fix stuff by replacing the fw.img file. If it doesn't your bricked. If you delete the ds game somehow even though the custom firmware the exploit is auto loading on boot specifically blocks that you also are bricked.

Basically barring Nintendo updating a dead console things are fine.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Looks like it may not block that stuff.

Basically if you setup coldboot haxchi you can't format the Wii u, delete the ds game, redownload the ds game from the eShop, move it to usb storage, etc or you brick since coldboot haxchi causes the Wii u to boot that game instead of your system menu and if the game is missing the Wii u doesn't know what to do.

You can always stop at haxchi and running the exploited ds game each time you turn on your Wiiu.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

All my games recently started saying the servers were undergoing maintenance. For days. So did another modded 3ds. A simple restart fixed it though, which is great since it looked like a sneaky ban at first.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Chronojam posted:

All my games recently started saying the servers were undergoing maintenance. For days. So did another modded 3ds. A simple restart fixed it though, which is great since it looked like a sneaky ban at first.

There's actually a scheduled a maintenance around now. Not sure exactly when. Might be legit not a ban.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

mrEkli posted:

There's actually a scheduled a maintenance around now. Not sure exactly when. Might be legit not a ban.

It's not supposed to be until tomorrow.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/en_US/index.html

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I've had "maintenance" errors come up all the time to the point where I think sometimes it's just used as a generic "uhhhhh server's busy or something" error

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Stan Taylor posted:

I just did it a week or two ago, it's reasonably straightforward and doesn't seem too risky in terms of bricking your console or getting banned or anything. The only problem is that the browser exploits are a bit unreliable, and sometimes it takes a few attempts for it to run the Homebrew launcher off your SD Card.

This was the guide which I used: http://www.wiiubru.com/guide

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

irlZaphod posted:

This was the guide which I used: http://www.wiiubru.com/guide

I don't know if it's any better, but there's a Wii U counterpart to 3ds.guide: http://wiiu.guide/

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I'd go with this guide. It's a lot easier to follow than wiiu.guide, even if it doesn't let you make a backup of your system beforehand, and you can actually ask people for help on its discord channel.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

m2pt5 posted:

I don't know if it's any better, but there's a Wii U counterpart to 3ds.guide: http://wiiu.guide/
I started using wiiu.guide but I found the Browser exploit was not very reliable. It was only working about 25% of the time. I was also having an issue because it couldn't run the Homebrew launcher. I reformatted the card (I may have had the card formatted with incorrectly sized blocks the first time), and just found that the exploit link in the WiiUBrew guide was much more reliable.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Yo here's probably a loaded and deeper question than I might know but

I've got Freakyhax but I'm getting a bit tired having to go through the whole shebang to get into Homebrew Launcher using Freakyhax; is there an as-easy-as-freakyhax way to just like, launch HBL from the homescreen?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yo here's probably a loaded and deeper question than I might know but

I've got Freakyhax but I'm getting a bit tired having to go through the whole shebang to get into Homebrew Launcher using Freakyhax; is there an as-easy-as-freakyhax way to just like, launch HBL from the homescreen?

Sure, do you have Bootstrap9/A9lh installed? You can just use the HBLauncher CIA to go directly to it.

Just follow the https://3ds.guide.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does B9 allow you to boot with no SD card? I'm thinking about stealing my 3ds sd card for my Switch.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does B9 allow you to boot with no SD card? I'm thinking about stealing my 3ds sd card for my Switch.

Once the proper files are in SysNAND, yep. If you follow the guide, that is the default setup.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Sure, do you have Bootstrap9/A9lh installed? You can just use the HBLauncher CIA to go directly to it.

Just follow the https://3ds.guide.

I don't have A9lh, no. And I'm on 11.4, so it looks like I'm boned for the time being since I have zero desire to solder and I don't have a second system to do DSIWare

Edit: wait wait it looks like SafeB9SInstaller can be run from HBL; has that been updated to 11.4?

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 5, 2017

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Waffles Inc. posted:

I don't have A9lh, no. And I'm on 11.4, so it looks like I'm boned for the time being since I have zero desire to solder and I don't have a second system to do DSIWare

Edit: wait wait it looks like SafeB9SInstaller can be run from HBL; has that been updated to 11.4?

Pretty sure there are no public ARM9 exploits for 11.4 yet.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Both A9LH and B9S do. A9LH you have to put the arm9loaderhax.bin in the SysNAND CTRNAND. For B9S you do the same with the boot.firm

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

https://twitter.com/derrekr6/status/884106715888848899

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Making progress at least but still they have a ways to go.

https://twitter.com/ylws8/status/884112052062744576

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I can't wait to play Gamecube games on my Switch

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Hacking your console this early seems like a dumb idea tbh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, I don't think much can even be done with the hacks at this point.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Some people just want to play Doom on their Switch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Plays a port of the psp port of doom at 5fps with no audio.

"Now this is why I bought the Switch!"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
can someone link me to the download for the freeshop for the switch tia

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aww yiss a port of the DS port of the GBA port of the dstwo port of the dreamcast port of the Windows 95 port of snes9x hell yes!

Alternately: sweet, a low effort port of libretro, the worst emulator!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I wouldn't install switch hacks so early neither, since they always need to find workarounds and fix anything that immediately causes bans for players.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I doubt I'll bother with any Switch hacks since it seems like Nintendo got its poo poo together and I don't want to be banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

IMO the only good time to hack a Nintendo console is at the end of its life when you don't care if you get banned from online and/or the eshop.

Although my hope with the switch is it's long lived enough that this is all far off. Also it has some really good multiplayer games that most sane people wouldn't want to be banned from

• Locked thread