Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

Your dodge is INSANELY invincible, and if you time it right you can toss enemies in the air with an attack after a perfect one. Also abuse pod programs and equip your heal chips.
I have occasionally chained like six perfect dodges in a row to go THROUGH something hazardous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Suggestion: Don't play on hard. I love character action games and I wouldn't consider myself bad at them but hard just isn't fun when one hit kills happen throughout the game and you have to do a tedious corpse run every time. It's just not a good time

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

You can also just go into your chip loadout (been a while since I played the game, but it's in the pause menu) and remove any auto chips that you don't want to use. This lets you take off the training wheels pretty easily as you feel ready for it. For example, you can fully control attacks and your pod's gun, but you can have it automatically dodge if you're not feeling good about your reaction time, or automatically heal when you're low on health. Full-auto mode is literally "move to where you want to kill things or progress in the level".

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, I've now played Nier for longer than I originally did, which means I've been introduced to fishing. ("You can catch that fish easily on the beach. No, not that beach right there; the other beach you haven't even seen yet.") Fished for forty-five minutes, no luck, went exploring, found other beach, caught the fish I needed on the first try.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I can't remember the last time a game got its hooks in me so deep when I wasn't expecting it and had no background with it (never played any other Platinum game). It's so incredibly good. Started Route B last night and just gonna keep playing until the #content runs dry. I am sad already thinking about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There a marker on your map pointing you to the other beach.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Sakurazuka posted:

There a marker on your map pointing you to the other beach.

Yep. I meant that as a "boy, I was being dumb" and not an actual complaint about the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Ah okay, there's a famous review of the game from when it came out where the guy said he hates it because he spent hours trying to catch that fish and never got one, at the wrong beach natch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

atholbrose posted:

Yep. I meant that as a "boy, I was being dumb" and not an actual complaint about the game.

Lots of people got fooled by that, yeah (I did anyway)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I also messed that up.

Once you get to the right spot if you keep loving up the fishing the "TWO DAYS LATER" title card and the cutscene after that where Nier gets all pissy about being unable to catch the fish is legitimately funny IMO.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Persona 5 might be a good game, I'm not sure because I'm a 31 year old man with a full time job and a mortgage and watching a whiny Japanese version of Hollyoaks got tiresome after about 6 hours.

I hated Nier A until about 2 thirds through route a and it might be the most special videogame I've ever played. Not my favourite, not the most enjoyable, but in sheer terms of freshness for the medium it is easily the greatest videogame I've ever played.

The thought the 2 are even comparable is hysterical to me. Persona 5 is a videogame many people enjoy and that's cool but there is absolutely nothing special about it.

Edit: I really liked Personas style but the narrative did less than nothing for me. Similarly I feel the combat in Nier is awful and the only thing holding it back from being a masterpiece.

Macarius Wrench fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 29, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why should I care?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Why should I care?

You shouldn't? If you had a good time with Persona and if those narrative beats entertained you that's great because to me they were impossible to care about.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I'll admit the fishing made me really angry at first but then I realized some ex-cavia probably still is laughing about it and it made me smile

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I fished for multiple hours total and it was the most basic relaxing-pace minigame in existence that isn't "Don't Shoot The Puppy" and you get free money (and silly item descriptions) out of it while listening to a great soundtrack. How do you get angry at that

unless you want to get 100% fish in which case lord have mercy on your soul and don't get too angry once you find the achievement vendor

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 29, 2017

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Why should I care?

I mean this is a discussion thread for discussions about the game. If you don't want to engage with someone's thoughts on the game in the thread about thoughts on the game then maybe ignore them instead of shutting them down arbitrarily.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Hes just a little flustered at me comparing Persona 5 with a UK teeny bopper sitcom.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I played through this game entirely and I feel like I missed something. Everyone heaps praise on this game for being super special and incredibly amazing and I have a hard time understanding where they're coming from. The game is very congruent in its themes and is ultimately a very sad narrative bringing forward the questions of what meaning there is in life and what to do when the thing you've been living for is gone. The setting and plot were novel, certainly, but I didn't feel compelled most of the time to carry on (especially when slogging through Route B). It just didn't feel like there was much driving the plot forward most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I still had fun playing the game, I just feel like I didn't "get" it when all was said and done.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Squidtentacle posted:

I mean this is a discussion thread for discussions about the game. If you don't want to engage with someone's thoughts on the game in the thread about thoughts on the game then maybe ignore them instead of shutting them down arbitrarily.

Maybe he should go discuss the relative merits of Persona 5 in the Persona 5 thread.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe he should go discuss the relative merits of Persona 5 in the Persona 5 thread.
Why not say that to the guy who brought up persona 5 in the first place?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Sakurazuka posted:

People have been talking about P5 in this thread for literally half the thread. It's kind of normal to compare things.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup, you're right I'm overreacting because I really loving hate that guy and I hope he gets probated again/banned soon.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Persona 5 seems cool and i'd play it if it wasn't console exclusive. The way it gets brought up as a direct competitor for Automata is kind of weird but i guess i'll take it as a compliment for Nier to rank up there with the Big Bois

relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LT62mVaIpA

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Shoren posted:

I played through this game entirely and I feel like I missed something. Everyone heaps praise on this game for being super special and incredibly amazing and I have a hard time understanding where they're coming from. The game is very congruent in its themes and is ultimately a very sad narrative bringing forward the questions of what meaning there is in life and what to do when the thing you've been living for is gone. The setting and plot were novel, certainly, but I didn't feel compelled most of the time to carry on (especially when slogging through Route B). It just didn't feel like there was much driving the plot forward most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I still had fun playing the game, I just feel like I didn't "get" it when all was said and done.

You pretty much got the highlights, but you don't seem impressed by them. Few games address those types of philosophical questions, and the gameplay transitions are also fairly unique in this game. Yahtzee's (spoilery) review of N:A was essentially that it was better than the sum of its parts.

I do think there is plenty of room for the next game to improve.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Even though both Niers are totally special to me I can totally see people being disappointed in the game if they encounter massive hype, especially in the gameplay department. As for the story I still feel the characters are its weakest aspect.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Nina posted:

Even though both Niers are totally special to me I can totally see people being disappointed in the game if they encounter massive hype, especially in the gameplay department. As for the story I still feel the characters are its weakest aspect.

Some of the characters are the weakest aspect. Like what happens "on screen" with 2B. You get more of her character when she's not around and you're not playing her.

I never played original Nier or Drakengard, but what impressed me about Automata was how efficient the narrative is. The gameplay isn't hard, but it serves the story. I also think it has the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a game. The essay a goon wrote on Automata made me appreciate the game a lot more too. Not sure where the link went for it, but it's worth your time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'd stand by Automata as having great combat and being very fun to play, but that's certainly a shortcoming of the original Nier, yeah.

For me, what makes the games so special is that the incredible music combined with the overall heaviness of the plot themes come together to stir an emotional reaction that's really really rare to find in a video games. Like, there's Nier, the last hour or so of the last of us, and uhhhhh I can't think of anything else like it

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

For me, what makes the games so special is that the incredible music combined with the overall heaviness of the plot themes come together to stir an emotional reaction that's really really rare to find in a video games. Like, there's Nier, the last hour or so of the last of us, and uhhhhh I can't think of anything else like it

Journey did this for me, but that game isn't a prepared narrative. You make of it what you will. And it's only 2 hours.

Journey also has a fantastic soundtrack.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Yup, you're right I'm overreacting because I really loving hate that guy and I hope he gets probated again/banned soon.

Go outside and get yourself some exercise please

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I fished for multiple hours total and it was the most basic relaxing-pace minigame in existence that isn't "Don't Shoot The Puppy" and you get free money (and silly item descriptions) out of it while listening to a great soundtrack. How do you get angry at that

unless you want to get 100% fish in which case lord have mercy on your soul and don't get too angry once you find the achievement vendor

Oh, fishing in Automata is quick and nice, I was talking about Nier and how it's introduced in about the worst way possible

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I actually really liked the fishing in Automata because I could just read a book or something and wait for the "plunk".

This may also be my love of marine life speaking, though. I got a real kick out of the mystical Beetle Fish and the unspoilered basking shark.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PSA for everyone here:

Half Coordinated will be speedrunning Route A Normal of Nier: Automata to open SGDQ this year. What's going to make the run fun is he does it one handed (and it's not because of a self-imposed challenge, he has a disability that makes it really hard for him to use both hands at the same time, hence his name). Obviously, spoilers for route A.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is there some damage boost trick to this like his Transformers run?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
There are a bunch of out of bounds glitches whenever the camera shifts. Forest castle is almost entirely skipped.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Halfcoordinated rules and is a cool dude and i hope his marathon run goes as well as his steady practice runs ive seen on his twitch channel.

Ledgy posted:

Oh, fishing in Automata is quick and nice, I was talking about Nier and how it's introduced in about the worst way possible
Haha, missed that context, my bad. I talked to a friend who played through all of Nier before Automata and yeah, she said the older fishing games were a pain.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When I lost 9S a bunch of sidequests disappeared. Will they come back?

When I finish a playthrough I reset to level 1 / no items, right? Or is it effectively newgame+ and I keep everything?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

When I lost 9S a bunch of sidequests disappeared. Will they come back?

When I finish a playthrough I reset to level 1 / no items, right? Or is it effectively newgame+ and I keep everything?

They won't come back until route B. You keep all items and levels.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

I also think it has the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a game.

Check out the Nier 1 soundtrack. Same guy, same main vocalist, just as good (if not better) overall quality - which is saying something.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Sakurazuka posted:

you probably have good reasons for not liking him but nobody else is aware of those reasons, so you look like a crazy retard flipping out on a guy with reasonable points

which is really funny because that is literally the whole point of the original Nier

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know if there's a best side to take in this slapfight but hey let's not do it at all maybe

content: I think I agree that the original Nier soundtrack is a little better, but Automata's soundtrack is still heads and shoulders above most other games (some of it is just slightly remixed songs from the original game, and I do not mind at all)

The composer also did a rendition of battle on the big bridge for one of the DLCs for final fantasy xv and it owns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jro_IzMFBbU