Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It's the boringest and most tedious game to obviously come directly from PC since 7 Days To Die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Policenaut posted:

Elite Dangerous is such a wonderful game. You start out with a loaner ship and very little money and it's up to you to bootstrap your way to fame and riches. There's no guided campaign as far as I can tell, just get out there and make your story.

I haven't played a game with such "if I just do this THEN" momentum in a long time, and I'm just constantly leapfrogging from personal goals. If I just do this little data delivery job, I'll make the cash to fund basic refueling and insurance so THEN I can take this salvaging job while I'm there I'll take a delivery job leading back to the system I just came from and when I hand THEM in I can afford a better power drive which lets my ship hyperspace jump further THEN I can do those delivery jobs faster so I make quicker money so THEN I can buy a real cargo hold so I can make 5 times what I was making with the data jobs in one go by doing cargo delivery jobs so THEN I can buy that auto-docking module so I can get into stations faster so THEN I don't fail the optional time trial objectives on some of these deliveries to make more money per delivery so I do that and THEN I can afford to buy that newer, faster, better ship and hey this one has some real firepower so maybe THEN I can work on upgrading those hardpoint weapons with better tracking so THEN my shots land better and it just keeps going like that!

I haven't even scraped the surface of this whole faction war going on, I've maybe shot down 1 ship so far in my time playing, and the only Horizons content was the stuff I did in one of the tutorials but there's this huge universe just out there waiting for me. It's pretty cool.

Imagine how much success you could've attained in real life if only videogames hadn't come along

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wouldn't work because I'd have to interact with real people for that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Policenaut posted:

Elite Dangerous is such a wonderful game. You start out with a loaner ship and very little money and it's up to you to bootstrap your way to fame and riches. There's no guided campaign as far as I can tell, just get out there and make your story.

I haven't played a game with such "if I just do this THEN" momentum in a long time, and I'm just constantly leapfrogging from personal goals. If I just do this little data delivery job, I'll make the cash to fund basic refueling and insurance so THEN I can take this salvaging job while I'm there I'll take a delivery job leading back to the system I just came from and when I hand THEM in I can afford a better power drive which lets my ship hyperspace jump further THEN I can do those delivery jobs faster so I make quicker money so THEN I can buy a real cargo hold so I can make 5 times what I was making with the data jobs in one go by doing cargo delivery jobs so THEN I can buy that auto-docking module so I can get into stations faster so THEN I don't fail the optional time trial objectives on some of these deliveries to make more money per delivery so I do that and THEN I can afford to buy that newer, faster, better ship and hey this one has some real firepower so maybe THEN I can work on upgrading those hardpoint weapons with better tracking so THEN my shots land better and it just keeps going like that!

I haven't even scraped the surface of this whole faction war going on, I've maybe shot down 1 ship so far in my time playing, and the only Horizons content was the stuff I did in one of the tutorials but there's this huge universe just out there waiting for me. It's pretty cool.

The closest thing to a campaign are Powerplays. Give them a try when you're feeling confident in your flying.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Elite Dangerous runs surprisingly bad. Pro here. VERY disappointed in that aspect.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Imagine how much success you could've attained in real life if only videogames hadn't come along

No one who posts here is ever going to be a real success.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Policenaut posted:

I am a successful shitposter, thankyouverymuch

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

im very rarely given free space ships in real life

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I kind of wanted Killzone as PS+ EU game but hey, I have Until Dawn on my wishlist and I may play it with my wife so is all cool.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Until Dawn is a great little game probably best played with an audience.

Game of Thrones is by telltale so its probably a very bad game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Policenaut posted:

If you open a door and a window in my office, theres a sweet stream of cold air. Everyone is a winner, if you lower the requirements low enough.

I know some of you are posting from your cubicle/office or desktop, so you have it easier compared to people with a job in the sub, or cleaning sewage or the infinite number of jobs that are ridiculous risky, disgusting and poorly paid. Instead you guys have one where you can shitpost in this thread.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tei posting truth as always

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
My ancestors never lived to shitpost on the PS4 thread :qq:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Our ancestors gave their lives so we can shitpost in the PS4 thread.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Rip in PS

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tei posted:

If you open a door and a window in my office, theres a sweet stream of cold air. Everyone is a winner, if you lower the requirements low enough.

I know some of you are posting from your cubicle/office or desktop, so you have it easier compared to people with a job in the sub, or cleaning sewage or the infinite number of jobs that are ridiculous risky, disgusting and poorly paid. Instead you guys have one where you can shitpost in this thread.

gently caress :yeah:, goon, you know what it's about

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do any of you guys play elder scrolls online? I want to get into it and play the morrowind expansion but totally confused about what I need to buy. Can I just buy the morrowind thing or do I need the base game too?

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/the-elder-scrolls-online-morrowind/cid=UP1003-CUSA00132_00-ESOMORROWINDBUND

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
As someone who actually likes Telltale games, Game of Thrones was the worst game of theirs that I've ever played. It was a bigger piece of poo poo than The Walking Dead 2.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/880411049979109376

That's actually rather fast for a translation. I don't think its even out in Japan yet.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Empress Brosephine posted:

Do any of you guys play elder scrolls online? I want to get into it and play the morrowind expansion but totally confused about what I need to buy. Can I just buy the morrowind thing or do I need the base game too?

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/the-elder-scrolls-online-morrowind/cid=UP1003-CUSA00132_00-ESOMORROWINDBUND

you can buy the base game and thats good for about 300 or 700 hours,

but if you are money to waste, is a good idea to buy the expansions, because they ...enhance the base game. Theres a "thief DLC" and "murder DLC" and when you have both, you can be some sort of thief assasin and is kinda cool and well made and IMHO hilarious at times.

I did not liked the morrowind expansion much, but is a honest to god good DLC. The orc based one is pretty solid. Both are optional.

So if you don't know if you will enjoy the game or not, get a disc somewhere with the base game ( I got mine for 8€ in a bargain bin ) and after playing for some times you enjoy it, buy the thief DLC and the murders DLC. If you get low own content you can buy everything else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Comes out in August in Japan, game got delayed from its original release date of December last year and it was announced for a western release before even that so I imagine they've had plenty of time to work on the translation.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The first one got some praise. Hope the second builds off it

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tei posted:

you can buy the base game and thats good for about 300 or 700 hours,

but if you are money to waste, is a good idea to buy the expansions, because they ...enhance the base game. Theres a "thief DLC" and "murder DLC" and when you have both, you can be some sort of thief assasin and is kinda cool and well made and IMHO hilarious at times.

I did not liked the morrowind expansion much, but is a honest to god good DLC. The orc based one is pretty solid. Both are optional.

So if you don't know if you will enjoy the game or not, get a disc somewhere with the base game ( I got mine for 8€ in a bargain bin ) and after playing for some times you enjoy it, buy the thief DLC and the murders DLC. If you get low own content you can buy everything else.

Thanks man appreciate it

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Empress Brosephine posted:

Thanks man appreciate it

Heres the game thread, so you don't have to search it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793102

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm really excited to finally play Until Dawn. Was really close to buying it.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I tried Elite Dangerous for two hours last night because I thought I liked the idea of flying a spaceship. I liked TIE Fighter like twenty years ago, that was spaceships. That game had things to do, though. In Elite, you can take a job to mine specific minerals for a picture of a guy on a menu. Where are those minerals? In rocks. Somewhere. In space. I don't know where, specifically. There are possibly other jobs, but everything is a realistic distance of Extremely Far From You At All Times. As it turns out, if I knew how to make my own fun, I probably wouldn't be playing video games.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Elite is fun because of who you play with and the stories you make, and in spite of the actual game most of the time. I was about to quit after a week of playing, joined frogs, and that was a year and a half ago.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The Black Stones posted:

As someone who actually likes Telltale games, Game of Thrones was the worst game of theirs that I've ever played. It was a bigger piece of poo poo than The Walking Dead 2.

Counterpoint, for all the "Your choice never matters"very validly thrown against telltale. You can actually make significant choices in this one and end the game with actual big differences for an explicit season 2. I kind of liked it, Told John Snow to "gently caress off you sanctimonious douche." in so many olde timey dumb words.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

The first one got some praise.

No it didn't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends whether you count 'it was okay I guess' as praise

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Boogalo posted:

Elite is fun because of who you play with and the stories you make, and in spite of the actual game most of the time. I was about to quit after a week of playing, joined frogs, and that was a year and a half ago.

I don't think there's cross platform play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wendell posted:

No it didn't.

Dan ryckert liked it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bombadilillo posted:

Counterpoint, for all the "Your choice never matters"very validly thrown against telltale. You can actually make significant choices in this one and end the game with actual big differences for an explicit season 2. I kind of liked it, Told John Snow to "gently caress off you sanctimonious douche." in so many olde timey dumb words.

My game ended with every GoT tv show character talking about what pieces of poo poo the game characters were.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

My game ended with every GoT tv show character talking about what pieces of poo poo the game characters were.

Maybe you made 'bad' choices? Theres some telltale rear end stuff in there. like Where you fight the guy on the wall, If he shows up and you talk poo poo draw your sword and murder the rear end in a top hat, its awesome. If you try to play nice and it forces you into fighting anyway You could feel like your choice was subverted

Its the Batman problem where you be a dick and the cops get mad but then do the thing for you anyway and its weird. GoT wants you to be a cutthroat GoT character and its pretty fun if you do. My playthrough was anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bombadilillo posted:

Maybe you made 'bad' choices? Theres some telltale rear end stuff in there. like Where you fight the guy on the wall, If he shows up and you talk poo poo draw your sword and murder the rear end in a top hat, its awesome. If you try to play nice and it forces you into fighting anyway You could feel like your choice was subverted

Its the Batman problem where you be a dick and the cops get mad but then do the thing for you anyway and its weird. GoT wants you to be a cutthroat GoT character and its pretty fun if you do. My playthrough was anyway.

Yeah that was pretty much the whole game for me, even when I tried to be an rear end in a top hat it forced a game over, like at the truce meeting with the other family where you can go gently caress it and attack.

It'd have been better if you played as Ramsey and it was Bolton Simulator 2016.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I don't think there's cross platform play.

No, but "who you play with" has a pretty loose definition in this game. Everyone affects the same galaxy. Elite: Diamond Frogs is played mostly on discord and my time in the game goofing around doing my own poo poo or working on frog poo poo is spent mostly solo flying with instances here and there of winging up with other folks. As someone earlier said: many frogs have never flown with another.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

It had some potential at the beginning but stretched it self way too thin by trying to cover a bunch of different plot arcs like the show. I couldn't have cared less about the Danerys (sp?) story thread and the third or so episode completely lost me when it started getting more air time.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah that was pretty much the whole game for me, even when I tried to be an rear end in a top hat it forced a game over, like at the truce meeting with the other family where you can go gently caress it and attack.

It'd have been better if you played as Ramsey and it was Bolton Simulator 2016.

I tried to poison him there but I either hosed up my talking or it cant have that outcome and ended up attacking too.

Since its telltale I refuse to look it up. Looking up things ruins telltale games for me.

Its a thin thin illusion but if you just roll with it. It works way better. 1 play through and never look back.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Policenaut posted:

Are you playing it with DS4 or some expensive joystick set up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tei posted:

Can we replace the OP with this post?