Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

botany posted:

Not sure where to ask this but I would appreciate some suggestions: I'm looking for more podcasts along the lines of Intercepted and Pod Save The World. Something serious and informative basically. I'll check out Chapo Trap House but from what I've read in D&D it probably won't be what I'm looking for. Any good ones that I'm missing? How is This American Life these days?

It's not a broad topic deal, but if you have an interest in crime, local government, and how those two can get intertwined, Crimetown's first season covers Buddy Cianci, former mayor of Providence, Rhode Island, and the mafia activity surrounding his administration.

edit: Also in the same vein, In the Dark is a podcast about the Jacob Wetterling case and, more specifically, how and why small town police departments(read: elected sheriffs) can completely gently caress up cases like this.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

botany posted:

Not sure where to ask this but I would appreciate some suggestions: I'm looking for more podcasts along the lines of Intercepted and Pod Save The World. Something serious and informative basically. I'll check out Chapo Trap House but from what I've read in D&D it probably won't be what I'm looking for. Any good ones that I'm missing? How is This American Life these days?

Try Wide Left maybe, a couple of ultra analytical and stats oriented dorks coming from a leftist perspective. It can be a bit dry, but appeals to the goony autist in me.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

JazzFlight posted:

Wait, that was a joke? Where's the joke part? Like, I don't see what part is the setup or the punchline.

Yeah, I stand corrected. It was really just a gut punch.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I imagine she'd know

:vince:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I think I saw someone wondering if Paul's "two bills" plan was going to get any traction. It's not, because they only have one filibuster-proof bill.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Groovelord Neato posted:

i repeat.

(ps you'll also learn more from chapo than any of the "serious" casts)

Like that Maduro did nothing wrong, for example.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

TGLT posted:

Buddy Cianci, former mayor of Rhode Island

lol

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/880421323993993216

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/880435434035326976

Edit:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/880435887775113216

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/LarryMurphyJr/status/880425703455567872

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Literally nobody will care about his dumb Morning Joe tweets by tomorrow. These are the most charted waters of the Trump presidency.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://mobile.twitter.com/FoxNews/status/880435420710002688

This is the official response

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Sorry, Providence. Still waking up.

Also Rhode Island is a tiny baby state for tiny babies, and should probably be annexed by a real state.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Fighting fire with fire being positioned as a good thing is baffling in it's stupidity, lmao

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

TGLT posted:

It's not a broad topic deal, but if you have an interest in crime, local government, and how those two can get intertwined, Crimetown's first season covers Buddy Cianci, former mayor of Rhode Island, and the mafia activity surrounding his administration.

edit: Also in the same vein, In the Dark is a podcast about the Jacob Wetterling case and, more specifically, how and why small town police departments(read: elected sheriffs) can completely gently caress up cases like this.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Try Wide Left maybe, a couple of ultra analytical and stats oriented dorks coming from a leftist perspective. It can be a bit dry, but appeals to the goony autist in me.

All of those sound interesting as well, thanks a bunch!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tatsuta Age posted:

Fighting fire with fire being positioned as a good thing is baffling in it's stupidity, lmao

It's in the bible. When someone slapped Jesus he knocked that dude on his rear end for it.

Ain't nobody cross Jesus.

Edit: Well, I mean, I guess some people did technically.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This, 10 million times this.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That liberal media, staffed by a former GOP Congressman and the GOPs most devoted inside reporter.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Push El Burrito posted:

It's in the bible. When someone slapped Jesus he knocked that dude on his rear end for it.

Ain't nobody cross Jesus.

Edit: Well, I mean, I guess some people did technically.

I'm sure this isn't an original joke, but kudos regardless.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

That liberal media, staffed by a former GOP Congressman and the GOPs most devoted inside reporter.

It is like liberalness operates on the "one drop" rule...

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
"This is a president who won't be bullied by the media" says spokesman about reality TV actor who started his presidential run over being embarassed by the former president for accusing him of not being an American citizen on cable news for over a year.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CDHiggs posted:

Oh great, here come the butt-hurt media responses about a face lift joke. Because it's soooooo offensive, and so unlike Trump.

It would be so nice if the media, instead of holding hands in unity against mean tweets, unified around this fuckhead's completely lack of policy, and stopped hoping and praying that every single Russia tip they get is true.
it would be so nice if you went back to gbs with your scathing hot takes and nothing mattersing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump is still able to slap around his appointees and have them thank him for it.

lol

quote:

Acting Director for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Thomas D. Homan: We estimate that the number of illegal immigrants in the United States last year was between 11 and 12 million. Net migration into the United States has been limited the past few years and we have stepped up our efforts to deport individuals residing in the country unlawfully. For these two reasons, we expect the estimated figures for 2017 to be approximately the same despite population growth.

quote:

President Donald J. Trump: Honestly we've been hearing that number for years. It's always 11 million. Our government has no idea. The real figure is closer to 30 million. Many studies, many studies have proven this.

quote:

Reporter: What about the 30 million figure?

Acting Director for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Thomas D. Homan: 30 million? Illegal aliens? I have never said that and that is not the estimate of ICE.

Reporter:
The President said that the figure is probably closer to 30 million illegal aliens residing in the U.S.

Acting Director for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Thomas D. Homan: I had not heard that figure. The President is very passionate about immigration issues and I would defer to him. I can only state the estimate from ICE.

dhn
May 28, 2004
Dog dick of anubis
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/880429415406161920

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

TheScott2K posted:

I imagine she'd know

Trump seems like too much of a physical coward to strike Melania. She'd whoop his rear end.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Notice he didnt tag trump in that, hoping its his mid morning nap time and the tweet will have blown over by the time he wakes up

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

"That said, I will continue voting lockstep along party lines"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

"Now let me vote for every policy you send to congress and to help you steal a SCOTUS seat."

- Craven Hypocrite

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

vaginite posted:

Breitbart, Fox, Rush and etc. havent ever retracted anything and therefore are upstanding, reliable sources of information :smugdon:

This entire situation is made more hilarious by Fox, JUST LIKE A MONTH AGO, getting egg on it's face for that "Seth Rich was definitely a hit job" story that turned out to be based on nothing. They quietly retracted it while their prime-time-agitprop-klaxon, Sean Hannity, continued beating it into a pulp before being forced, likely under threat of firing, to loving knock it off already. The original story author is still employed by Fox. Sean Hannity somehow still has a job.

CNN retracted their story swiftly once it was proven to be incorrect and the journalists responsible for it no longer have jobs. This is a model of responsible journalism.

Meanwhile, a CNN medical producer is caught on camera voicing his private opinion about the Russia investigation and that's run up the flagpole like some kind of smoking gun that CNN's private crusade to pin collusion on the President should come to a close. Even though, the people at CNN are just covering an investigation that is ongoing. No one but Trump's campaign and Russian intelligence knows what transpired during the 2016 election. Maybe there was no collusion. We don't loving know.

The DRIVER of everyone's continued curiosity has been Trump's very public appearance of wanting the investigation stopped, and again, CNN is just covering a story. The opinions of an employee (that doesn't even work the political beat) are completely irrelevant. Project Veritas is a dubious name, as the rear end in a top hat running it only seems to produce carefully constructed narratives to prop up a hilariously long-shot conclusions. I hate the right-wing dipshits who eat this crap up.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 29, 2017

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Remember that comic with the kid asking the grandpa what 2016 was like, and the thought bubble has harambe dabbing on a unicycle or whatever?

This tweet is that, but for 2017.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sometimes I wonder if Trump is a longterm PR damage control gambit for the GOP. Elevate him to prez, get all their policy crap done, pin all the bad stuff on him, become beloved like in the days of Reagan.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 29, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
People with checks need to start RTing that at Trump

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Even funnier imo

https://twitter.com/jessefferguson/status/880395329614606336

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Trump is a longterm damage control gambit for the GOP. Elevate him to prez, pin all the bad stuff on him, become beloved like in the days of Reagan.

If so it's an incredibly bad plan more likely to backfire than to work.

Knowing Republicans this is probably true.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

LOL, if that somehow got the bill to 50, it won't pass the house. The HFC crazies would become apoplectic

https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/880444553471438848

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone ask McCain what his thoughts are on the President's latest tweets.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Trump is a longterm damage control gambit for the GOP. Elevate him to prez, pin all the bad stuff on him, become beloved like in the days of Reagan.

Trump is Republican Jesus, here to die for their sins.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone ask McCain what his thoughts are on the President's latest tweets.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/880442050461786112

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/880443507470729217

So that's "embarrassed" and "disappointed", for those of you playing McCain Empty Words Bingo.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Whistle stop is great because he connects current events to history very nicely, is professionally done and well researched

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Everyone is very bothered but let's see who actually does anything.

https://twitter.com/SenatorCollins/status/880445276741402624

https://twitter.com/BenSasse/status/880429821775552514

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
lol McCain never disappoints.

• Locked thread