Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's not an amazing price, the car really isnt in good shape in any sense of the word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PCOS Bill posted:

You should finance a Mini Cooper instead, way better use of money.

Oh I'm not disagreeing there. I don't think it's worth the money. And I admit the front is pretty stupid.

I think the rear looks fine though, as does the interior, and I'd be happy with that engine. I'd be seen in it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

moxieman posted:

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/6172403136.html

A combination I'd never think to put together.

At one point a few months ago I had a Miata and a 95 Caprice wagon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Human Grand Prix posted:

Throw Tow the Miata in the trunk to the track with the Caprice.

Fixed that for you.

CornHolio posted:

Oh I'm not disagreeing there. I don't think it's worth the money. And I admit the front is pretty stupid.

I think the rear looks fine though, as does the interior, and I'd be happy with that engine. I'd be seen in it.

Front would be a lot more tolerable with the chrome bumper back on it, or a panel line, or something. It's too smooth. Other than the front, I like it.That footwell, though.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/6185899221.html

Car needs literally everything. Car was also cut in half. $2500

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Literally a pile of scrap without even a title associated with it, what the gently caress.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

$2500 is what people offered to have them pay to take it away. I look forward to seeing the same ad reposted daily with more rants about time wasters.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ROFLburger posted:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/6185899221.html

Car needs literally everything. Car was also cut in half. $2500

"Car is rough". Yes, this pile of scrap is "roughly" in the shape of a car.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Literally a pile of scrap without even a title associated with it, what the gently caress.

I was gonna say maybe you could buy it for the VIN but lol.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's missing "No lowballers i know what i got."

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
I know this isn't really the usual use of this thread but I figured it might be the best place for this. I have a friend who is buying this:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/st-johns/1972-dodge-challenger/1276600320?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Anything you guys see here that is cause for worry? A little story behind it, my friend has met a new guy and I'm convinced he's somehow involved in this because she isn't a car person at all. She lives around Calgary Alberta and plans to drive this back from St. John's Newfoundland. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing but I see this as a serious mistake and I'm trying to talk her out of it but without having an in-depth knowledge of these cars, I'm kind of shooting blanks.

Also can pretty much guarantee she's buying it sight unseen at asking price.

SiliconX fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 30, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SiliconX posted:

I know this isn't really the usual use of this thread but I figured it might be the best place for this. I have a friend who is buying this:

Anything you guys see here that is cause for worry? A little story behind it, my friend has met a new guy and I'm convinced he's somehow involved in this because she isn't a car person at all. She lives around Calgary Alberta and plans to drive this back from St. John's Newfoundland. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing but I see this as a serious mistake and I'm trying to talk her out of it but without having an in-depth knowledge of these cars, I'm kind of shooting blanks.

I can't foresee any problems with driving a 45-year-old car of unknown quality some 6,000 km across largely uninhabited land.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SiliconX posted:

This is a bad idea.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Deteriorata posted:

I can't foresee any problems with driving a 45-year-old car of unknown quality some 6,000 km across largely uninhabited land.

:ocelot::frog:

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

College Slice

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, that part is easy for me to argue. I'm curious more about the car. Price is outrageous or not, anything from pictures that is a red flag, etc.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SiliconX posted:

Yes, that part is easy for me to argue. I'm curious more about the car. Price is outrageous or not, anything from pictures that is a red flag, etc.

... you really should link it to be a bit more helpful friendo

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

College Slice

sneakyfrog posted:

... you really should link it to be a bit more helpful friendo

poo poo I thought I did, sorry about that. Edited original post too.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/st-johns/1972-dodge-challenger/1276600320?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

looks clean body is straight, cant really tell much from photos and that description though, you would send a car guy for 25k though for a car that age for a full walkaround lookover

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SiliconX posted:

That's very cheap for what most are going for based on a quick Google search. It's a great deal if the car really is in good to very good condition. There's no way to know that, though.

What bothers me is that the owner has to know what the car is worth. There's a reason he's selling it so cheap and your friend may find out the hard way.

There's not much we could tell from pictures. Cosmetics are easy. The expensive, complicated stuff is always hidden.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

College Slice

sneakyfrog posted:

looks clean body is straight, cant really tell much from photos and that description though, you would send a car guy for 25k though for a car that age for a full walkaround lookover

Yeah I'm trying to convince her to do that. But I think her new guy "knows a guy who knows this guy" or some poo poo like that.

Deteriorata posted:

That's very cheap for what most are going for based on a quick Google search. It's a great deal if the car really is in good to very good condition. There's no way to know that, though.

What bothers me is that the owner has to know what the car is worth. There's a reason he's selling it so cheap and your friend may find out the hard way.

There's not much we could tell from pictures. Cosmetics are easy. The expensive, complicated stuff is always hidden.

Yeah it seemed cheap to me but it looks like a Rallye and not an R/T so not sure how the value differs. Good advice there at the end, thanks.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SiliconX posted:

Yeah I'm trying to convince her to do that. But I think her new guy "knows a guy who knows this guy" or some poo poo like that.

Yeah it seemed cheap to me but it looks like a Rallye and not an R/T so not sure how the value differs. Good advice there at the end, thanks.

tell her to stop thinking with her weener for 25k lady jeez.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
As an Albertan, I know that every Newfie here over the age of 50 has stories about buying cheap Mopars on pogey checks and punting them into ditches/off power poles in their 20s.

Is this going to be an 'only car?'

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Going to assume at the very least the tires are shot. Tires on used cars are always in terrible shape and will free themselves while under speed on the highway every time.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.

SiliconX posted:

Get her to do the usual classic car stuff when looking to buy.

1) Look like you have some clue about these things. Dreamers with money make easy marks. There's so much info out there about Mopar classics that it shouldn't be a problem to at least sound like you have a passing familiarity with them and their failings.

2) Bring a fairly weak magnet, like a fridge one. Run it over the spots where these things usually rust (see above advice about researching for these spots). Car is in NFLD. Ocean is right there. Could be painted bondo/rust. Inset lipstick on pig statement here. You should feel a definite if weak pull for all metal. Absence of that means there's rust, bondo, or fiberglass. If these are there in any abundance get out, especially at that price.

3) Get underneath it. Check those floors and frame rails. See if she can pull the carpet back a bit on the inside to check the floor from that angle too.

4) Vinyl roof. Ugh... Hate these things on 60s Mustangs (my frame of reference). Easy place for rust to start, and can be difficult to check. Look for rust bubbles starting under the paint around it and near the drip rails etc.

5) Car looks like it's been restored in the last 10-20 years. Ask for resto process pics if available and parts receipts.

6) Make sure she takes it on a test drive. If they refuse the test drive/insist on driving themselves get out.

There's a lot more, but then again there are much more knowledgeable people right here on these forums who will hopefully chime in.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Faded Mars posted:

1) Look like you have some clue about these things. Dreamers with money make easy marks. There's so much info out there about Mopar classics that it shouldn't be a problem to at least sound like you have a passing familiarity with them and their failings.

2) Bring a fairly weak magnet, like a fridge one. Run it over the spots where these things usually rust (see above advice about researching for these spots). Car is in NFLD. Ocean is right there. Could be painted bondo/rust. Inset lipstick on pig statement here. You should feel a definite if weak pull for all metal. Absence of that means there's rust, bondo, or fiberglass. If these are there in any abundance get out, especially at that price.

3) Get underneath it. Check those floors and frame rails. See if she can pull the carpet back a bit on the inside to check the floor from that angle too.

4) Vinyl roof. Ugh... Hate these things on 60s Mustangs (my frame of reference). Easy place for rust to start, and can be difficult to check. Look for rust bubbles starting under the paint around it and near the drip rails etc.

5) Car looks like it's been restored in the last 10-20 years. Ask for resto process pics if available and parts receipts.

6) Make sure she takes it on a test drive. If they refuse the test drive/insist on driving themselves get out.

There's a lot more, but then again there are much more knowledgeable people right here on these forums who will hopefully chime in.

you covered the very important poo poo other than basic mechanicals you good poster you. :patriot:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
There's a cute lil' '62 Falcon 4-door at the local park-n--sell. Perfect interior, gray primer rubbing away to show dark blue underneath on the edges, nothing obviously wrong with it except the stock specs (tiny I6, 3-on-the-tree) and the asking prices on Craigslist and the like -- there's no price on the sign in the window, but judging from the market it's probably more than I'm willing to pay. Of course, were I a rich man, I'd buy it and swap in the biggest V8 that'd fit (starting with the 4.6L that I currently can't afford a replacement PCU for, or comedy option build it as a gasser to make a junkyard big block clear the front tires).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

There's a cute lil' '62 Falcon 4-door at the local park-n--sell. Perfect interior, gray primer rubbing away to show dark blue underneath on the edges, nothing obviously wrong with it except the stock specs (tiny I6, 3-on-the-tree) and the asking prices on Craigslist and the like -- there's no price on the sign in the window, but judging from the market it's probably more than I'm willing to pay. Of course, were I a rich man, I'd buy it and swap in the biggest V8 that'd fit (starting with the 4.6L that I currently can't afford a replacement PCU for, or comedy option build it as a gasser to make a junkyard big block clear the front tires).

Early falcons are crazy light. that 62 4 door probably weighs about 2300lbs with a cast iron i6 with cast iron heads and a cast iron exhaust manifold. Even the iron pinto I4s were 350lbs.

What you really need is a turbo i3 or i4 that you can shove way back into the firewall behind the front axle.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Powershift posted:

Early falcons are crazy light. that 62 4 door probably weighs about 2300lbs with a cast iron i6 with cast iron heads and a cast iron exhaust manifold. Even the iron pinto I4s were 350lbs.

What you really need is a turbo i3 or i4 that you can shove way back into the firewall behind the front axle.

I agree. However, a later 200 I6 bolts right in and gives 40 more horsepower stock. A cam, headers and an Offy Tri-Power intake (well, and carbs) will get you to 150 hp or so and more torque, and that's pretty good for something that weighs in the neighborhood as a Miata. Plus, no replacing shock towers, no fabricating crossmembers or motor mounts, or any of that crap.

Plus, it looks cool as heck and isn't seen very often.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
You know if you are asking for $120000 for a 2015 Tesla with "minor wear" the least you can do is loving take it to a carwash but :effort:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/6173844139.html

"2015 Tesla Model S
P90D
Ludicrous Mode
35k km

Great condition. Minor wear and one wheel with curb rash.
"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
My favorite is even high-end dealerships with classic cars that don't replace the struts that hold rear hatches or trunks open. Have a nice clean, well-lit photograph with the car as perfect as it can be and then a broom handle stuck in holding the hatch up.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Delivery McGee posted:

Comedy option put a barra in it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

keyframe posted:

You know if you are asking for $120000 for a 2015 Tesla with "minor wear" the least you can do is loving take it to a carwash but :effort:

"2015 Tesla Model S
P90D
Ludicrous Mode
35k km

Great condition. Minor wear and one wheel with curb rash.
"

93k USD for a 2 year old Tesla with 35k miles?!? Car wash or not... Hahahaha, no.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

As an Albertan, I know that every Newfie here over the age of 50 has stories about buying cheap Mopars on pogey checks and punting them into ditches/off power poles in their 20s.

Is this going to be an 'only car?'

No thank god. Her commute is way too long to use it to drive to work regularly.

Faded Mars posted:

Great stuff, thank you.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Fo3 posted:

Comedy option put a barra in it.

Not really comedy since those are decent engines. An I6 that is cheap, tough and doesn't have a cult of personality around it like the RB and JZ engines? Sign me up.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Comedy because someone in the US would have to pay us-au freight then go what the gently caress, surely something local I can buy outright for less than just the freight cost.
But yeah, good engines and I love them more than v8s (especially more than ford v8s), and it should fit.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

BigPaddy posted:

Not really comedy since those are decent engines. An I6 that is cheap, tough and doesn't have a cult of personality around it like the RB and JZ engines? Sign me up.
'round here we call those AMC/Jeep 4.0Ls :buddy:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

scuz posted:

True but turbo barra :australia:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

scuz posted:

Ha, 140kw? my 2.5l m50b25 puts out that much. The barra is a totally different story, 190+kw in n/a, ~300kw turbo and a fair bit more torque as well. Every time I drive the bmw I feel disappointed in the torque, as even the pre barra 4L in 1990s older falcons had just that more torque even if they were 157kw pre DOHC and variable valve timing.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 30, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Fo3 posted:

Ha, 140kw? my 2.5l m50b25 puts out that much. The barra is a totally different story, 190+kw in n/a, ~300kw turbo and a fair bit more torque as well. Every time I drive the bmw I feel disappointed in the torque, as even the pre barra 4L in 1990s older falcons had just that more torque even if they were 157kw pre DOHC and variable valve timing.
Hey, he asked for cheap and tough, not fast!

edit: If I wanted more power, I guess there are enough Trailblazers in my neck of the woods to go for a Vortec 4200.

scuz fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 30, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Also, the Jeep 4.0 is understressed, to put it mildly. That's why they run forever. Slap a turbo and decent head studs/gasket on a 4.0 and get moving. It worked for the Jeep XJ-R guys.
https://www.facebook.com/JeepXJR/
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1094822

It'll never be a monster, but, hey, why not?

The Atlas 6/Vortec 4200 as mentioned above is an interesting choice. I thought they were neat when they came out, but they just sort of petered out. No idea how good they actually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They seem mediocre at best with a couple of really annoying issues. A electronically controlled fan clutch that just loves to die and is $200 a pop to replace is the start of the fun. Oh, and pray it didn't overheat because the headbolts are drat near guaranteed to snap off in the block if you try to pull the head to replace a headgasket. (though they have updated ones on the aftermarket that are supposed to remedy this)

Really, for the money you'd spend getting an atlas to do fun stuff like take a turbo, you could probably import a barra that can already do it and pay the butt rape shipping on bits for it.