Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Oh shiiiiit, is that one of the new Adaptronic modulars I spy in the background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
cant wait for this

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh my god this is amazing but how in the hell do you plan on getting any kind of traction in that thing? The rear end end has to weigh almost nothing.

[edit] lead in the tailgate? :v:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly. That's going to be nuts.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Works been kicking my rear end- sorry for the cock-tease.

Eh. I'm not. Check out the wastegate size :D

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
So, is that a 300 or 400 series one?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Post the YouTube video of the battle against the alien mecha-snail you had to win to get that thing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Kicks in at 8000rpm I bet.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm going to disappoint everyone and start with the Celica. Once we got it home I had to sleep on it a night or two and decide if I wanted another project. I'm honestly on the fence still, but since it's here I might as well clean it up. I gave it a pressure wash, emptied 3 bags of trash out of it, and filled the shop vac. The good news: A quick glance shows minimal rust. The better news: We had significant movement on finding a title. It's going to take a few registered letters, some paperwork, and possibly a possession lien- but at least it's looking possible. I'm hoping to get it on the lift this week for a better inspection.

I took the opportunity to pull and pressure wash the seats in the red FD. I have a small update on that- but I'll wait for now.

Random shop visit: We quickly threw new poly motor mounts and a trans brace in this Silver 94 that's been pictured before. Note to self, bend two brackets out of 1/4, drill 6 holes, powdercoat, toss in a $25 Jeep energy suspension trans mount and charge $225 shipped.

The rotary truck has no update for now- parts are trickling in, but it's been set aside to work on THE 20B! I have 5 other cars I should/am being paid to work on- but this project has occupied my lift for three weeks. Plus with work/family- I'm only getting a few hours at a time to work on it. When I last messed with this I kept running into problems trying to fit the engine while retaining the stock subframe. I tried cutting it, bending plates to backfill, weld in tubing, etc. I finally said screw it.

And out came the sawzall.

I picked up a few drops of 1x2 0.125 wall tubing and some random 1/2" and 3/8" for mockup.

At this point there was no going back, so I cut the ENTIRE front subframe out, leaving only the control arm pockets. I swear I only had a minor freakout as I realized the car was now stuck on my lift until I figured out how to make the subframe or temp mount the rack... In the mean time I researched every sub frame I could find. None of them really fit what I wanted to do, so I decided to make my own design. This motor is 3" back and as tight against the firewall as I want to attempt. I'm planning on still retaining a wet-sump pan and around a 7qt oil capacity.

So, let's get started.

The temp braces let me toss the motor back in and start figuring out the rack placement. The good news was, I no longer hit the subframe with the steering rack knuckle.

After much trial and error I realized I had to setup a jig to locate the steering rack. Thankfully I have a shell or two behind the shop to reference.... Cue 10 different configurations, cursing, more measurements and late nights. It took several days to end up where I was comfortable with the steering rack placement. To fit this motor back and down like I wanted, I had to drop the rack. This is better than the forward-and-down placement I had when trying to fit the factory subframe. Someone more knowledgable can explain the downsides of this- but my steering center line is now dropped below the lower control arm. Welcome to bump steer. There are several ways to fix this with heim joints and spacers, but it will very difficult to adjust for the rack movement. My only other option was a cut firewall and a $5k dry sump.... so I'll deal with it.

With the rack mocked up and marked out I dropped the motor and cut filler plates for the old subframe out of some scrap steel. I should have been a bit more careful leveling/squaring them- I ended up having to go back and correct a few of them.
This is the easiest this motor will ever come out...

Many, many more measurements later I fitted up the first cross bar. This subframe will sit 1/2" or so lower than the factory subframe.

To square the subframe to the body, I rigged up a quick board to square against the frame rails. Not perfect, but it will work for now.

As you can see by the pictures, I couldn't help myself and went ahead and tossed the motor back in the car. Everything fit exactly how I needed it to. In the middle of the subframe build these two pictures showed up from my buddy's shop manager. My parts had arrived. It was pure torture waiting the three days to pick everything up.
1) Borg Warner S472SXE with a 1.25 AR hotside
2) Turbosmart 60mm wastegate
3) Adaptronic M2000
4) ID 1050x Primary Injectors
5) Bosch EV14 CNG 2000CC injectors
6) 6 AEM Smart Coils

It was painful for my wallet, but I'll recover.

Well then.

WHAT HAVE I DONE. Jebus. This is a MASSIVE turbo. I originally bought a EFR 9180. After watching several people run ~560whp out of them I decided I wanted more. Do I need more? No. Will my clutch/trans/diff take more then 500whp? Not for long! Am I going to cost myself thousands in the long run replacing all of those? Yep.

Now that the turbo was here I started thinking about intercoolers. What really kills me is I wanted a vmount when I started this. But in reality I didn't want the hood vent. This turbo moves so much air, I have to run either a 21x11x4.5 core or a 21x9x6 core. 6 inches thick. Think about that.

I had this old damaged fiberglass GTC clone in the loft and tossed it on. I hit a major dilemma here. I really, really have wanted to make a Yin-Yang clone of cars. The White 94 mild car and the Black 93 insane sleeper car. Both with factory bodies, or at least as close as I could get it. But let's be honest here. There will be NOTHING sleeper about this when I am done. So I'm now looking at bumper options.

I really wanted to see what the 99 front end would look like. Man. It would almost work, I swear. Well, Too bad it would account for a 30% reduction in core surface area...

Here's the core placement without trimming the 99 bumper. This would shove the radiator back and interfere with the air filter.

Radiator mockup.

I have more details to add- but I'm still at work, so you will have to check back later.

And yes. I'm going to die. Let's just hope it's not this car that kills me. A cage is planned.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha I was under the impression you were putting that turbo in the truck for some reason.

Super psyched to see the 20B come to life.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm the OOGAH on the turbo snail.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love that AI is basically just going off the loving deep end lately. I feel inadequate.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ratbert90 posted:

Kicks in at 8000rpm I bet.

Nah. A rotary has a very hot exhaust and has a lot of air flow that is very constast - there's no pulsing of a ICE. Still gonna come on boost like a bomb but it wont be a 8 grand or nuttin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I love that AI is basically just going off the loving deep end lately. I feel inadequate.

Start a car collection

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat son.

Celica stuff - that car has the original JDM bumpers and that rear spoiler is pretty goddamned rare so you had better not let go of that car.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
AI as gently caress love it

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Don't rotary swap the Toyota, put a BEAMS engine in it. They're pretty cheap with trans (around 1200 ish) and the mounts are already engineered:

http://speed.academy/how-to-install-beams-3sge-blacktop-1st-gen-celica/?doing_wp_cron=1498745921.3602960109710693359375

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

Don't rotary swap the Toyota, put a BEAMS engine in it. They're pretty cheap with trans (around 1200 ish) and the mounts are already engineered:

http://speed.academy/how-to-install-beams-3sge-blacktop-1st-gen-celica/?doing_wp_cron=1498745921.3602960109710693359375

Get the gently caress out of here with that weak rear end pussy poo poo. Pistons? In the insane rotary thread? What the gently caress?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Octopus Magic posted:

I had no idea it was a thing other than this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnVTI6rrvqo

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

ratbert90 posted:

Get the gently caress out of here with that weak rear end pussy poo poo. Pistons? In the insane rotary thread? What the gently caress?

I love rotaries and cry every time I see an LS FD, but I think the BEAMS in the Celica spiritually fits it more.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Octopus Magic posted:

I love rotaries and cry every time I see an LS FD, but I think the BEAMS in the Celica spiritually fits it more.

It doesn't make any loving sense when the guy who owns it knows rotaries, has rotaries, and has fabrication capability to make it fit. Put LS' in FDs, put rotaries in Celicas.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Guys, while the rotary engine makes since for theSpyder, doesn't a 1UZ fit the bill a bit nicer for the Celica?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Or! Put the engine you want in the car and have fun.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh gently caress you all for not suggesting the greatest swap ever...... BARRA that Celica.

(Actually just let Spyder do whatever the hell Spdyer wants)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My delayed response is: I'll do what ever the hell I feel like. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

My delayed response is: I'll do what ever the hell I feel like. :colbert:

As long as you keep that car!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I know there's probably other plans, but just throwing this out there: http://mariahmotorsports.com/gt-2-street-body-package/

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

mekilljoydammit posted:

I know there's probably other plans, but just throwing this out there: http://mariahmotorsports.com/gt-2-street-body-package/

I would kill a man for a FC Mariah Mode 6 kit. Actually, all of their "So 80's it hurts" kits for both the FB & FC really.

On the engine swap side, rotary swap everything! Celica, truck, daily, everything.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

McTinkerson posted:

I would kill a man for a FC Mariah Mode 6 kit. Actually, all of their "So 80's it hurts" kits for both the FB & FC really.

On the engine swap side, rotary swap everything! Celica, truck, daily, everything.

I need an IMSA/Group C kit for my '79. They're all in Australia, and I'm not. No, I don't want wide fenders, I want fuckin' :krad: ~*bubble flares*~

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've been eye'ing a few kits- and none of them are decently priced. :(

Excellent news. The car is now mobile- bolted the rack down and grabbed a bumpsteer kit from xcessive to get it steering somewhat straight. In turbo news- I had a measurement wrong and the motor was kicked over .75" too far to the passenger side. This means the turbo can now sit 2.5" back! Which might mean I could still V-mount it. I'll have a friend help me mock it up tomorrow. Either way, the turbo now fits way better. I'm still thinking of stepping down a size on the hotside to 1.10 AR. I'm stoked!

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

I'm excited to play "Spyder Life Simulator 2018

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You're missing the booze, jack stands, and empty wallet.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Maybe they'll add all of that in the DLC

http://www.playway.com/news-eng/636-car-mechanic-simulator-2017

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

the spyder posted:

You're missing the booze, jack stands, and empty wallet.

You know me so well. Every bolt turned or connector unplugged is another :10bux:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jesus Christ that turbo.

How are you going to keep birds.. ducks... geese.. eagles... nearby helicopters.. from getting sucked right out of the air into it?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

You don't, you just map your fuelling to take it into consideration. :black101:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's all carbon in the end, right?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've bought more crap... HELP!

This is what $6k in boxes looks like from last weeks turbo/ecu bonanza. Oh and a free turbo.

It's so cute! Rob gave me several of these K04 CX-7 turbo's. I'm thinking turbo Miata, but we'll see.

Black 87 Turbo II update: It's almost ready for sale. I still need to piece together a exhaust for it, but the idle has been fixed and the windows now work* (kinda).

A few weeks ago I found this 2002 Miata SE on the local B/S/T page. The owner wanted the drivetrain for a exocet and we still have the bits from my brothers 99' he rolled. Sooooooo say hello to frankin miata! We have the doors/bumpers/interior for it in boxes. I'm giving this one a 6 month window before it's alive.

240Z: I was half tempted to not post these. A friend got ahold of me about a possible 71 240z forsale by a friend of his. The guy doesn't want to sell it, but can't keep it due to *life*. No price yet and I'm not pushing on the seller. It's got a 78 motor swap and minimal rust. Still waiting for a full story, but it's exactly what I was after- a decent project I won't feel bad about modifying. So, keep an eye out for updates.

Road trip: Two Rx-7 came up forsale last week in Seattle. One was a Red FD that was badly damaged and dirt cheap. The other was a 87 Turbo II that was modified and refused to start after sitting for several years. I wanted the FD for parts and my buddy Ben wanted parts off the FC to finish his Turbo II project/swap. Ever since finding them on the forum, life tried to make it impossible to actually pick them up. Both owners needed them gone this weekend. I had to work Saturday and we had originally planned on heading up that evening to stay at my parents place an hour from Seattle. One of our storage nodes in our production cluster decided to fry the motherboard just a few minutes into a major upgrade that morning. Cue panic, getting a chassis hand delivered at 9:15PM from some stocking warehouse. The next morning Ben came with me to work and helped toss the new node in the rack and move the disks over. All was well, but it was now 11am. So with a trailer in tow (imagine trying to part in downtown Portland with a frickin trailer!) we headed to Seattle.

Oh god drat it, why is there a 2 hour construction delay? We finally made it to the FD owners house at 4PM. When we first saw the car it was apparent how bad this poor guy had been hit. He was sitting in traffic, stopped, foot off the brake and someone not paying attention hit him at speed. This launched him into oncoming traffic, where he was hit head on. Walked away with a bloody lip. Lucky guy. We loaded the trailer and took the car to my parents house for temporary storage (very temporary, my father might scrap it before I get back to collect it this weekend...) It was now 7pm. Thankfully the FC owner is apparently a night owl and did not care what time we got there. It was right about this time the squeaky A/C pump clutch finally gave out in the truck. It locked in the off position and showed no major signs of damage outside of the awful noise, plus it was ~72 out. With no fucks to give, we kept driving. Cue a 2.5h drive, again due to construction. God. drat. It.

We arrived just as the street lights clicked on. The neighbors out for a walk scowled at us as we pulled in, AC pump squealing away. I'll save the story on this car. It's been owned by the same guy since 94 and he just finally gave up on it. After far too much bullshitting, we headed home. It was 10PM. I was exhausted, Ben was exhausted. With the truck averaging a loooooow 12MPG, we stopped for fuel and food. I popped the hood to inspect the A/C pump, which had become eerily silent... A fresh coating of rusty metal powder now covered the clutch. But wait- is the harmonic balancer... wobbling? Oh gently caress the rubbers starting to separate from the pulley. With no options, we said gently caress it and proceeded to drive the next 2.5 hours home. We arrived at 2:3AM, no drama.

Did I forget the bee sting, point where I tore the crotch clean out of my shorts, or the leaking tires on the trailer? I can't believe we made it home. So at some point, expect to see a post with a bunch of new parts and $$$ being spent on both the truck and trailer.

Red FD

Black FC

I've been too tired after work to even unload the drat FC. I'm hoping we can quickly get some of these projects DONE and outta here. My awesome county-commissioner neighbor made a joke about this place looking like a code violation... guess it's time for that fence.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 12, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Did your brother flip another car?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

wargames posted:

Did your brother flip another car?

Thankfully no. I was stupid enough to buy it for parts. Updated the post with *words*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Doesn't even look like the airbags deployed even with all of that front end damage. Shoot me a PM, I need a few parts if they are not claimed.