Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think looking at the Spurs record the last 20 or so years and seeing that they have never won less than 50 games is a recruiting tool in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

im the stacktrace from clicking player links in this

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

RCarr posted:

I think looking at the Spurs record the last 20 or so years and seeing that they have never won less than 50 games is a recruiting tool in itself.

5 champ;ipnsikp[ ringhs

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/status/880453568804868096

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
wow Kyrie more popular than Kawhi I just puked a little in my mouth

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do they make Isiah Thomas Jersies in adult sizes ? That's surprising

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

wow Kyrie more popular than Kawhi I just puked a little in my mouth

my flat earth boy has personality

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Re: recruiting, seen a couple times for the Rockets now that Ariza seems to quietly be Harden's recruitment sidekick. Rockets beat reporter suggested Ariza helped reel in Paul, and its very unlikely that he would be traded now because of that. I think either Anderson or Gordon get moved for something at some point, not sure who and when.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Players that are good at recruiting is the new market inefficiency. GSW really was light years ahead signing Iguodala.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

Any word if Phil Jackson skipped his exit interview?

I would have been tempted to do my own exit interview, complete with walking around to the other side of the table for each question and response. And I would have made Dolan sit in and watch it.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I thought Kyrie was joking about the flat earth stuff but after listening to him on RJ and Channing's podcast I think he's just a dumbass

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

edit: EVAN YOU MOTHERFUCKER

it's the soundtrack to most Knicks moves

A friend of mine got a great job as an elementary school teacher at a private school for the immensely rich and/or well-connected NYC folks. We'd watch Knicks games together and he'd point out oh, hey, that kid sitting courtside, that's one of my students. Trump's kid went there, don't know if he still does. The school sounds amazing, small class sizes, teachers who help out every single student individually, if you're struggling with anything you get personalized help, honestly it sounds like a great education and god damned is it ever a huge advantage for kids who already have a lot of huge advantages. They currently charge ~$50,000 a year tuition (yes $50k annual tuition for elementary school) and they can get away with it easily because they have a 50 year history of putting kids on the path into the Ivy League. One of these places-- https://www.carnegiecomm.com/media/uploads/file/CollegeMatriculationTrends.pdf

Dolan's Dad is a billionaire so I assume his K-12 experience was basically that kinda thing, every advantage wealth can bring, so I'm not trying to insult the SUNY system when I say it's extremely telling that James Dolan took those advantages and used them to attend his alma mater of SUNY New Paltz. He's the son of a billionaire who wound up at a state party school with a 45% acceptance rate, where he majored in Communications. That's absolute bottom of the class for the rich kids. He's an alcoholic who, in only the last five years, has personally accused two separate angry fans + Charles Oakley of being disgusting alcoholics. He is dumb and an rear end in a top hat. He's the worst. gently caress James Dolan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's a symbol of meritocracy for sure.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Ryan Anderson is going to be very difficult to move. I would say impossible but this is the NBA and even Gilberts worst contract ever got moved

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

3/60 for a pf that shoots 40% from three sound pretty easy to move idk.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

3/60 for a pf that shoots 40% from three sound pretty easy to move idk.

His defense is so bad that they literally could not play him during the playoffs

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

AggressivelyStupid posted:

my flat earth boy has personality
guess you could call it that....

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
They literally just tested the market for the contract and most teams told them to gently caress off. It's not impossible at all, but easy is a real stretch

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

The Spurs outselling the Lakers finally grants me the sweet catharsis I've craved from the time that Californian investment banker I met at a rich person party told me that the Spurs will never be a great team because they've done nothing with their brand.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He averaged 30 mins a game in the playoffs .

He played the 4th most minutes on the team behind ariza harden and gordon.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
e: oops

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

EvanTH posted:

it's the soundtrack to most Knicks moves

A friend of mine got a great job as an elementary school teacher at a private school for the immensely rich and/or well-connected NYC folks. We'd watch Knicks games together and he'd point out oh, hey, that kid sitting courtside, that's one of my students. Trump's kid went there, don't know if he still does. The school sounds amazing, small class sizes, teachers who help out every single student individually, if you're struggling with anything you get personalized help, honestly it sounds like a great education and god damned is it ever a huge advantage for kids who already have a lot of huge advantages. They currently charge ~$50,000 a year tuition (yes $50k annual tuition for elementary school) and they can get away with it easily because they have a 50 year history of putting kids on the path into the Ivy League. One of these places-- https://www.carnegiecomm.com/media/uploads/file/CollegeMatriculationTrends.pdf

Dolan's Dad is a billionaire so I assume his K-12 experience was basically that kinda thing, every advantage wealth can bring, so I'm not trying to insult the SUNY system when I say it's extremely telling that James Dolan took those advantages and used them to attend his alma mater of SUNY New Paltz. He's the son of a billionaire who wound up at a state party school with a 45% acceptance rate, where he majored in Communications. That's absolute bottom of the class for the rich kids. He's an alcoholic who, in only the last five years, has personally accused two separate angry fans + Charles Oakley of being disgusting alcoholics. He is dumb and an rear end in a top hat. He's the worst. gently caress James Dolan.

And yet he's far far far away from being the worst NBA owner.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/APkrawczynski/status/880459953286377475

Quick! Someone text him!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

euphronius posted:

He averaged 30 mins a game in the playoffs .

He played the 4th most minutes on the team behind ariza harden and gordon.

Dude you just commented yesterday on this

euphronius posted:

So weve proved no-defense stretch 4s are worth less than 3/60

They were actively shopping him and teams wanted picks to absorb him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't be expected to remember yesterday wtf.
Is this an inquisition ???

But seriously the market will be different after free agency is over

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Time posted:

Lmfao

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

This wouldn't even be the first time Dolan has tried to bring Isiah back since firing him IIRC?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

And yet he's far far far away from being the worst NBA owner.

Ehh I bet he could place Top 10 Most Stupid, but, yeah, inherited a terrible cable monopoly and kept them going with union busting tactics probably puts him lower-middle of the pack for Most Evil. Now he just runs MSG leeches off the public financed arena

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
jim buckets is crazy like a fox, and that's just what i want in my vets.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Done

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Wow, this is crazy. I looked through his Timberwolves review and it's generally really good. I think he is being too hard on Wiggins given his age/workload but this paragraph on Rubio is spot-on and tells me he actually is building his own opinions rather than just regurgitate the 30 second takes.

Reading the Pelicans one and I had to laugh at this because I only half-believe it is an exaggeration:

quote:

After a Chinese career, Crawford came back and finally gave the Pelicans the wing scoring option they had shuffled through about 54 players trying to find.

54 players. That sounds about right? I think the best one they have had since being in NOLA was old and injured Peja and then oft-injured Tyreke. Like, that's it. Not sure anyone else even averaged 10ppg. It's been dire for over a decade.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Anderson's problem in the playoffs wasn't his bad defense (which is bad) it's that he shot 28% from three point range which means he sucked at the one thing you want him for

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Intruder posted:

Anderson's problem in the playoffs wasn't his bad defense (which is bad) it's that he shot 28% from three point range which means he sucked at the one thing you want him for

Send him to the Raptors

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Time posted:

To be fair, the Rockets weren't in a good position because everyone thought they had to move him, and no Western Conference team wants to make it easy for a rival to assemble a super team.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

When Ryan Anderson played for New Orleans I really wanted him on the Raps. Now, not so much.
Especially b/c like all stretch 4s he'll forget how to shoot once he ends up in Toronto

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

dokmo posted:

To be fair, the Rockets weren't in a good position because everyone thought they had to move him, and no Western Conference team wants to make it easy for a rival to assemble a super team.

That makes sense

Also thanks again for the av. I'll have to wait for Houston to be done making moves before I get a new one.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Ehh I bet he could place Top 10 Most Stupid, but, yeah, inherited a terrible cable monopoly and kept them going with union busting tactics probably puts him lower-middle of the pack for Most Evil. Now he just runs MSG leeches off the public financed arena

Yeah he's pmuch just a spoilt little poo poo, but is a far cry from owners like Mickey "Apartheid" Arison or Dan "Debt Slavery" Gilbert.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Time posted:

LOL, I love this thread.

euphronius posted:

But seriously the market will be different after free agency is over

I think you're right. Ryno is a 1 dimensional player who probably isn't going to be any better than he is right now. His contract is a bit below okish. Not good but not horrible. I wouldn't want the TWolves to be paying 20 mil a year to him until 2020, but after the initial rush of FA some team may decide to take a flyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Chairchucker posted:

Bogut is actually cool and good FYI (although he may not actually be good on account of he'll probably break again)

Bogut hasn't been good since he went down 2 Finals ago. He is terrible.

• Locked thread