Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

unpleasantly turgid posted:

wow what an amazing standard to set.

They're rowdy drunken assholes who don't even realize they like being soccer fans with a rival, but at least they're punching nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

Good. Hope he dies in jail. He was accused in 2002 but his victim at the time was coerced into not going to the police.

Pell says he'll return to Australia to fight the charges but I won't be surprised if he gets a "respiratory condition" between now and getting on his private Vatican jet.

He already has.

Back when Pell was pretending he didn't cover up the rape of hundreds of children by the church, he came down with a totally genuine respiratory complaint which prevented his flying out to testify in court.

Then, while the royal commission was still taking place, he flew down to Ballarat, where most of the rapes being investigated at the time took place, to try and bribe/threaten some of the victims not to testify.

Bonus schadenfreude - noted piece of poo poo Andrew Bolt* who spent so much effort defending Pell to the point of even travelling to Rome to defend him during the Vatican investigation into him will now have to try and justify all his bullshit, yet again.

Back when all this started, Bolt used the tried and true "all those attacking Pell are the real paedophiles", then he went with "he's the victim of a leftist conspiracy". Then Pell testified in Rome that he did, in fact, know about all the kids being raped by the priests in his diocese but the law at that time did not oblige him to report it.

For a moment, just a moment (literally a single tweet) Bolt came face to face with what he had done - spent months tirelessly defending a loving monster so depraved that the rape and torture of countless children in his care meant less than nothing to him. An inconvenience, nothing more.

But Bolt's masters quickly pulled him back into line. After all, you don't get to be the most prominent talking head for the Murdoch press unless you toe the line.

And now Bolt's going to have to spend the next several years defending "his good friend and a good man" Archbishop Pell as the truth everyone already knew finally comes to light.

* the only media figure in Australian history to be convicted of racial vilification. Think for a moment what it takes for someone in Australia to considered so racist they get taken to court over it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

They're rowdy drunken assholes who don't even realize they like being soccer fans with a rival, but at least they're punching nazis.

I'm not sure you understand what is going on there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Anti-fascist soccer fans you say?

:getin:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Gorilla Salad posted:

* the only media figure in Australian history to be convicted of racial vilification. Think for a moment what it takes for someone in Australia to considered so racist they get taken to court over it.

Extra bonus: I was trying to look up this piece of poo poo and looks like my ad blocker flat-out blocks all of news.com.au. Then I found:

quote:

The News Corp Australia commentator Andrew Bolt has been attacked with glitter and shaving cream outside a Melbourne book launch by two men he has described as leftwing fascists.

Bolt has posted photos of the men on his Herald Sun blog, saying they “jumped” him after a woman asked for a selfie and he kicked one of them between the legs.

“Watch the fascist left attack me and get clobbered,” he posted. “Luckily the cameras do not capture me kicking one between the legs. I cannot have my children see me acting like a thug.”

Yes, I'm sure you did :allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/gFMT9B0.mp4

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

As a non-redneck from Alberta, this is the exact result I wanted. Thank you.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yup, not surprised at all. Dude in jacked up truck that probably slows down to go over train tracks and spent thousands to lift his truck but nothing on the trans gets pulled near effortlessly by a truck designed to put power into the ground.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Picnic Princess posted:

As a non-redneck from Alberta, this is the exact result I wanted. Thank you.

Every time an over sized car gets wrecked/humiliated an angel gets a stiffy (and I do too).

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

:lol: yep, turns out those big obnoxious lifted trucks that their owners haul nothing in aren't even all that powerful.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Queering Wheel posted:

:lol: yep, turns out those big obnoxious lifted trucks that their owners haul nothing in aren't even all that powerful.

And they're always super mad about HOV lanes.

Well sure I have a bunch of nothing in this beast but uh what's the deal with that lane?

Why shouldn't I be in it?

Oh wait I have a sex doll. Sly fox

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Weird that the conversation went this way, because just earlier today I was thinking about this dude

quote:

Some people will do anything to get out of a traffic ticket.

It is the rare motorist, however, who hopes his explanation will overturn more than 100 years of Supreme Court rulings and challenge the legal notion of corporate personhood.

Jonathan Frieman, a 56-year-old San Rafael resident and self-described social entrepreneur, failed to convince a Marin County Superior Court jurist Monday after he argued that he was not alone when a California Highway Patrol officer pulled him over in October while driving in the carpool lane.

Instead, Frieman admitted that he had reached onto the passenger's seat and handed the officer papers of incorporation connected to his family's charity foundation.

By Frieman's estimation, if corporations are indeed persons as was first established in the 1886 Supreme Court case Santa Clara County vs. Southern Pacific Railroad Co., and he offered evidence that a corporation was traveling inside his vehicle - riding shotgun, of course - then two people were in his car.

I guess this is heavy on the schaden and light on the freude though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

Good. Hope he dies in jail. He was accused in 2002 but his victim at the time was coerced into not going to the police.

Pell says he'll return to Australia to fight the charges but I won't be surprised if he gets a "respiratory condition" between now and getting on his private Vatican jet.

Double quoting this.

Pell has put out a statement saying, in part:

quote:

"Cardinal Pell will return to Australia, as soon as possible, to clear his name following advice and approval by his doctors who will also advise on his travel arrangements."

See if you can find the cunningly disguised ruse Pell has inserted into his statement so that he will never have to come back.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/zp3kSYj.gifv

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

And all this just days after the results of Australia's 2016 census where released :allears:

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Cardinal George Pell unlikely to return to Vatican City

The article is paywalled, but here's the important bits:

quote:

POPE Francis on Thursday night offered guarded support for Cardinal George Pell, while expressing respect for the Australian judicial system that will decide his fate.

But Vatican insiders are already preparing to pension off Cardinal George Pell, regardless of the outcome of the case involving historic sex offences.

The Herald Sun has been told it is highly unlikely that Cardinal Pell, who was promoted to the Vatican three years ago to reform its multi- billion euro real estate and financial portfolio, will return to Rome in his high-profile role.

Pope Francis, while supportive of Cardinal Pell, is seeking to fend off his harshest critics and minimise any reputational damage to the church.

Archbishop Fisher said the archdiocese would not pay legal bills arising from the charges, but would assist with the cardinal’s accommodation and support on his return.

The Catholic Church could be forced to fork out for an expensive trip if doctors decide that Cardinal Pell is too ill to fly on a standard plane.

Last year, he gave evidence to the royal commission via videolink from Rome after his lawyers argued his heart condition was not compatible with a long flight.

Cardinal Pell could take a lengthy boat trip from Europe to Australia.

Or he could be “medivacced” on a private jet, for about $15,000 an hour — more than $350,000 for a 24-hour trip.

Australian National University professor of international law Donald Rothwell said the cost would not have to be borne by taxpayers.

“He is the subject of a summons, so it is his responsibility to appear at the court,” he said.

Officially, Cardinal Pell has been given leave of absence to fight the charges.

However, at the age of 76 Cardinal Pell is already a year past the normal retirement age, which would offer the church a ready explanation should it decide to dispense with his services.

yes
yessssssss :unsmigghh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
http://i.imgur.com/CAOd9Bz.gifv

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
A Desert Eagle at point-blank range, with only an encyclopaedia between the barrel and the dude's chest. What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.0ffc625c7f0e

YouTube dumbass dies like a dumbass. Dumbass accomplice charged with manslaughter.

:allears:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I was expecting the trailer hitch of one to come loose and slingshot through the rear window of the other, but this is better.

You know, like this classic:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A fat "shut up" pension is too good for this fucker. Death in prison.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

This is murderous, it's beautiful!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mr.Tophat posted:

This is murderous, it's beautiful!

You know it's coming, but the best part is how the camera just keeps glued to Piers' face, waiting for the inevitable. loving beautiful.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

A Desert Eagle at point-blank range, with only an encyclopaedia between the barrel and the dude's chest. What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.0ffc625c7f0e

YouTube dumbass dies like a dumbass. Dumbass accomplice charged with manslaughter.

:allears:

I'm not familiar with bullet types but aren't those essentially rifle cartridges fired from a handgun?

.dazedandconfused..
Jan 5, 2006

Once upon a time Blubberkopf made me even more confused....

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Cardinal George Pell unlikely to return to Vatican City

The article is paywalled, but here's the important bits:

yes
yessssssss :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtHOmforqxk

Never have I wanted something more to happen.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

This looks like something out of a ZAZ film.

ultrabindu posted:

I'm not familiar with bullet types but aren't those essentially rifle cartridges fired from a handgun?

The Desert Eagle is a semi-automatic handgun that chambers a .50 AE round, the largest of any pistol in the world.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

ultrabindu posted:

literally last page

Platystemon posted:

BMG, AE, 9 mm

e: Also, a comparison of the cartridge being shot at the flasks in that video (.22 LR), vs. what the idiot was trying to stop with a book (.50 AE):

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://i.imgur.com/Uk57E2B.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/D7apSWk.gifv

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Desert Eagle is a semi-automatic handgun that chambers a .50 AE round, the largest of any pistol in the world.

I love the well timed breaking news.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's been beat for a while. Current mass produced winner is .500 S&W Magnum.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The point is that it is a much larger and more powerful round than the average handgun bullet, yet encyclopedias are not considered bulletproof even for the smaller calibers.

"Now remember, people, those are real bullets out there, so I want to see phone books!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

It's been beat for a while. Current mass produced winner is .500 S&W Magnum.

Is there any pistol that fires that or just revolvers?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sorry for all the batsu stuff but it's made the last couple of days at work so much better, like having my own solo Silent Library competition.

Without the ball-whacking.

EDIT: I saw one clip of Silent Library where they appeared to be forcing the punishment deck so the same guy got all the punishments. That was amazing,

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Sorry for all the batsu stuff but it's made the last couple of days at work so much better, like having my own solo Silent Library competition.

Without the ball-whacking.

Never was a username/post combo so disappointing

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Platystemon posted:

Is there any pistol that fires that or just revolvers?

Revolvers are also pistols. But no, there's no auto loading pistol that fires that round. I think there might be a lever action rifle that recently came out that fires the round though.

Edit: Looking into it, I guess the nomenclature differs between U.K. and American English on revolvers being considered pistols.

A FESTIVE SKELETON has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Jun 29, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rayjenkins posted:

Revolvers are also pistols. But no, there's no auto loading pistol that fires that round. I think there might be a lever action rifle that recently came out that fires the round though.

Edit: Looking into it, I guess the nomenclature differs between U.K. and American English on revolvers being considered pistols.

There are single-shot pistols that are chambered for it.

I don' t know why this isn't a bigger news story, but it's been a pretty great ride. Philadelphia's D.A. just changed his plea in the middle of his trial, to plead guilty on corruption charges:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/crime/philly-da-seth-williams-xxxxxxxx-20170629.html

quote:

As part of the deal, Williams agreed to resign and acknowledged that he faced up to five years in prison when he is sentenced on Oct. 24.

Despite a plea by Williams to be allowed to remain free until then, U.S. District Judge Paul S. Diamond ordered him held until sentencing and U.S. Marshals took the disgraced prosecutor out of court in handcuffs,

“I have a guilty plea from the highest law officer in the city that he betrayed his office and he sold his office … I am appalled by the evidence that I heard,” Diamond said before ordering Williams jailed. “I simply do not credit this defendant’s testimony. I do not believe him.”

Diamond said he wanted Williams’ resignation letter couriered to Mayor Kenney’s office as soon as the hearing was over.

Background: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/crime/da-seth-williams-trial-day-by-day-updates-20170619.html

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Jun 29, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/TQ0OUGR.mp4

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've done this once. Borrowed a friends bike, he failed to mention no rear brakes. I was flying down the street and the light changed, no back brakes, so over the handle bars I went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I was in Port Douglas, Australia, staying at a hostel that had free bikes to use, but they weren't kept in good shape so none of them had brakes. I took one anyway because it's quite flat there and I was able to stop with my feet if I didn't go too fast. Until I turned onto one street that had a slight slope downwards, and I gained too much speed to stop with my feet. I was headed for a busy intersection and needed to stop. I went up into the grass, hoping that would slow me down enough. It didn't, so I made the decision to run into a tree. Didn't get hurt but the back wheel lifted up quite far on impact. I was surprised I kept my face from slamming into the trunk too.