Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It turns out my girlfriend likes the walking simulator style games so I was looking at my steam library to see what I've got she might like and saw Anna Extended Edition. Steam says it's a horror game but does that mean there's a chance of getting a game over from a ghost or whatever? She's not a fan of that style mechanic and would rather just walk around and see things at her own pace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Len posted:

It turns out my girlfriend likes the walking simulator style games so I was looking at my steam library to see what I've got she might like and saw Anna Extended Edition. Steam says it's a horror game but does that mean there's a chance of getting a game over from a ghost or whatever? She's not a fan of that style mechanic and would rather just walk around and see things at her own pace
Anna is less a walking simulator and closer to a normal adventure game ala Myst.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

discworld is all I read posted:

Anna is less a walking simulator and closer to a normal adventure game ala Myst.

But can you die in it? She can use gamefaqs to solve puzzles if she gets stuck she just doesn't like things where you can get game overs and have to start over. Like she's enjoyed Life is Strange and Edith Finch but didn't get into Wolf Among Us because the QTEs were too much for her (she's really really bad at videogames having never played them much before we started dating)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Len posted:

But can you die in it? She can use gamefaqs to solve puzzles if she gets stuck she just doesn't like things where you can get game overs and have to start over. Like she's enjoyed Life is Strange and Edith Finch but didn't get into Wolf Among Us because the QTEs were too much for her (she's really really bad at videogames having never played them much before we started dating)
I don't recall being able to die, but I gave up like an hour into it cause I was too dumb to figure out the puzzles.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Speaking of, she might like RealMyst

Also Anatomy by Kitty Horrorshow where you can't screw up and die but it's pretty spooky anyway.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
And Leechbowl but that's even less coherent and more headache inducing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wanna listen to a developer from Layers of Fear be a pretentious douche for eight minutes? Here you go!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

1stGear posted:

Wanna listen to a developer from Layers of Fear be a pretentious douche for eight minutes? Here you go!

I'm only a minute in and I can barely understand what the guy is saying because his head is so far up his own rear end.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just popping in to say that horror-ish(?) Rusty Lake Roots and Rusty Lake Hotel are on sale for Android platforms. I saw the trailers and they to be creepy and surreal adventure games. Do they ever get scary or terrifying? I'm (still) not good with horror or jump scares.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 27, 2017

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Is The Last Door worth picking up?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

man nurse posted:

Is The Last Door worth picking up?

It's arguably one of the best cosmic horror games out there, and one of my all-time favorite point-and-click adventures. So yes, very much so.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Artelier posted:

Just popping in to say that horror-ish(?) Rusty Lake Roots and Rusty Lake Hotel are on sale for Android platforms. I saw the trailers and they to be creepy and surreal adventure games. Do they ever get scary or terrifying? I'm (still) not good with horror or jump scares.

Can't speak for Roots, but Hotel isn't particularly spooky. It's just a little surreal and off-kilter. It's a mildly horror-based room escape game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I know some horror games like to punish you for using lights by making monsters attracted to it or kill you if you don't have light, but has there ever been a game that specifically utilizes light as a means of progress and shaper of danger? Like the levels have enough low visible light to see outlines of certain shapes and creatures can still eat you if you're dumb enough to bump into them directly, but without light, the flora and the fauna don't have hard physical shapes. You have to utilize sounds from ambient music or growls coming from a certain direction or throwing a stone somewhere to create short echos that give a fleeting scan and stability to an area. However, only light can define the world and certain traps and situations demand it in order to solve puzzles or build passage ways, such a bridges, that you can traverse over otherwise deadly drops,sinkholes into inky darkness,etc. Unfortunately, this gives monsters much more dangerous physical bodies that will come after you now that they can smell and see too so it's best not to waste your precious resource of absolute reality and sight unwisely.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only thing I can think of is the super hard mode in The Evil Within DLC that removes all light sources apart from your flashlight.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
It's not quite the same as you're describing but Scanner Sombre has a game built around giving the environment definition using a tool you're carrying.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Crabtree posted:

I know some horror games like to punish you for using lights by making monsters attracted to it or kill you if you don't have light, but has there ever been a game that specifically utilizes light as a means of progress and shaper of danger?
snipped.

Closure. I wouldn't call it horror per se, but it definitely has the gloomy, off-putting vibe. Puzzle game. Kinda...Limbo-esque. http://store.steampowered.com/app/72000/Closure/

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Too Shy Guy posted:

It's arguably one of the best cosmic horror games out there, and one of my all-time favorite point-and-click adventures. So yes, very much so.

so i downloaded this on my android to try out. are things supposed to look this blocky? it can be pretty hard to tell what it wants me to click on at all because the art is so blurry.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

so i downloaded this on my android to try out. are things supposed to look this blocky? it can be pretty hard to tell what it wants me to click on at all because the art is so blurry.

Yeah, it's just a style choice they went with and it can be a mixed bag when you're trying to discern what something is (though for the most part I thought it worked out).

Crabtree posted:

I know some horror games like to punish you for using lights by making monsters attracted to it or kill you if you don't have light, but has there ever been a game that specifically utilizes light as a means of progress and shaper of danger? Like the levels have enough low visible light to see outlines of certain shapes and creatures can still eat you if you're dumb enough to bump into them directly, but without light, the flora and the fauna don't have hard physical shapes. You have to utilize sounds from ambient music or growls coming from a certain direction or throwing a stone somewhere to create short echos that give a fleeting scan and stability to an area. However, only light can define the world and certain traps and situations demand it in order to solve puzzles or build passage ways, such a bridges, that you can traverse over otherwise deadly drops,sinkholes into inky darkness,etc. Unfortunately, this gives monsters much more dangerous physical bodies that will come after you now that they can smell and see too so it's best not to waste your precious resource of absolute reality and sight unwisely.
But not exactly what you mean, it's just you asking about this made me think of this lil indie title that I tried a couple years ago called Stowaway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGMCF1KFYZo. It did some fairly interesting things with light and darkness, though the aesthetics might not be for everybody.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Silent Hill 3 has made me appreciate the design of SH2 a lot more. It feels like a knee jerk response to SH2 being a relatively quiet game with slow pacing and easy encounters. SH3 throws you right into the poo poo, no story build up just get the player into the first encounter as soon as possible. And each area is wall-to-wall monsters that blow out your speakers. I don't know why they give you a radio, you'll hear the monsters immediately upon entering a room (especially those ear piercing pendulums) but maybe there are monsters that don't register on the radio like the sewer creatures in SH1. I also think SH2 had better design sensibility. Like the palette was geared towards drawing the eye better, even in reverse world. I got stuck for 20 minutes because a door (which is the only one NOT explicitly drawn on the map) was indistinguishable from the wall. And even in the apartments SH2 had far less useless locked doors.

That said I'm fine with it for now. Bonus points for letting me assign items to the right stick.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

Silent Hill 3 has made me appreciate the design of SH2 a lot more. It feels like a knee jerk response to SH2 being a relatively quiet game with slow pacing and easy encounters. SH3 throws you right into the poo poo, no story build up just get the player into the first encounter as soon as possible. And each area is wall-to-wall monsters that blow out your speakers. I don't know why they give you a radio, you'll hear the monsters immediately upon entering a room (especially those ear piercing pendulums) but maybe there are monsters that don't register on the radio like the sewer creatures in SH1. I also think SH2 had better design sensibility. Like the palette was geared towards drawing the eye better, even in reverse world. I got stuck for 20 minutes because a door (which is the only one NOT explicitly drawn on the map) was indistinguishable from the wall. And even in the apartments SH2 had far less useless locked doors.

That said I'm fine with it for now. Bonus points for letting me assign items to the right stick.

Ah, memories of low res wall textures and locked doors. I wish I could experience SH3 for the first time again, but I was 12 so the impact was bigger I imagine.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
SH3's otherworld had far superior design, so far as I'm concerned, and I say this as someone who was in their early twenties when the game was released. The hospital (that goddamn mirror), Nowhere, and the carousel were all highly memorable, whereas I can't think of anything quite so striking in SH2. I get that people better acquainted with 2 might have thought 3 was 'too much,' but on the flipside of that: I was one of those people that preferred SH1's aesthetic choices over 2's (graphic limitations aside), and felt like 2 was backpedaling so far as the environments were concerned. The Historical Society descent into hell is the only thing that really stands out.

EDIT: As a note, it never occurs to me that there are more than a few people proclaiming their love of the series (in this thread and elsewhere) who never played 1, or can't get into it because of how dated it is. This always strikes me as confusing until I remember it's nearly 20 years old, and consequently feel like I'm about to break out in hives.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 29, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Old Boot posted:

SH3's otherworld had far superior design, so far as I'm concerned, and I say this as someone who was in their early twenties when the game was released. The hospital (that goddamn mirror), Nowhere, and the carousel were all highly memorable, whereas I can't think of anything quite so striking in SH2. I get that people better acquainted with 2 might have thought 3 was 'too much,' but on the flipside of that: I was one of those people that preferred SH1's aesthetic choices over 2's (graphic limitations aside), and felt like 2 was backpedaling so far as the environments were concerned. The Historical Society descent into hell is the only thing that really stands out.

EDIT: As a note, it never occurs to me that there are more than a few people proclaiming their love of the series (in this thread and elsewhere) who never played 1, or can't get into it because of how dated it is. This always strikes me as confusing until I remember it's nearly 20 years old, and consequently feel like I'm about to break out in hives.

See, I understand where your coming from entirely, but I really loved the subtlety of 2's areas, even though the other games did the "other world" in a very cool way.

The hotel was really poignant as a final level for SH2

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Hey I haven't seen anyone talk about it here but Friday the 13th is one of my favorite games ever. There's a pretty active thread for it but it's kinda bad. I'd definitely call it a horror game even though it's all multi-player.
The other night I was escaping with a friendly counselor in the car by driving along a foggy dirt road. Jason appeared out of nowhere and ripped my friend out of the passenger seat and smashed the car--the sheer panic of trying to start the car back up while watching the guy who was just in my passenger seat have a tree shoved through his face trumps anything I've ever experienced in horror before and the entire game is moments like this.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 29, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm so conflicted about Friday the 13th. At this point, it's, like, painful for me to spend more than $20 on a game. At the same time, I'm worried that if I wait for the price to drop, there might not be much of a community left.

:ohdear:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yeah that 40 dollar price tag was a huge turnoff but I don't regret it one bit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just get it. You'll get at least $40 worth of fun, especially playing with goons.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Phylodox posted:

I'm so conflicted about Friday the 13th. At this point, it's, like, painful for me to spend more than $20 on a game. At the same time, I'm worried that if I wait for the price to drop, there might not be much of a community left.

:ohdear:

It seems to be going strong, so if you wait I'm sure there will be a community. Though I will admit the game, for me, has gotten pretty stale at this point because it's pretty shallow and still kinda janky. After 60 hours I got my money's worth but I didn't think my enjoyment would taper off within a month.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Well how does Friday the 13th stack up to Dead by Daylight? Cause at face value, it seems to be a very similar setup but Dead by Daylight seems to have more content and only be like $20 normally.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Old Boot posted:

The thing is, I think SH2's otherworld is a place *inside James* metaphorically speaking, whereas SH3's other world seems to have its own static existence tied into the cult's stuff. I think SH2 is very much about internal horror and the otherworld reflects that whereas SH3 is more of a gothic horror kind of thing. They both have their merits and I wouldn't say that either is better. They're just trying to do very different things.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Well how does Friday the 13th stack up to Dead by Daylight? Cause at face value, it seems to be a very similar setup but Dead by Daylight seems to have more content and only be like $20 normally.

You can't juke Jason using windows constantly. Also personally I just hate the hook mechanic of dead by daylight.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
FT13 feels much more like an interactive horror movie than dead by daylight which is more of an asymmetrical team game. FT13 is random enough and hides enough of its mechanics that every game unfolds organically.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I played about a weekend of FF13 and stopped. Playing as Jason is awesome, playing as a counselor is even OK on the horror / game balance tip, but counselor gameplay basically seems to just be searching cabins and running from Jason when he shows up. There's no benefit to be had from engaging with Jason, cabin-searching is 100% the way to win. Even Tommy Jarvis's goal is to escape, not to shoot Jason and die in the process. I'd play a singleplayer that's just about being Jason, because it is fun to be Jason.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have no interest in F13th or Dead by Daylight but I appreciate that a ton of people like those games despite critics being pretty negative. It's a perfect encapsulation of the genre in popular culture.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Skyscraper posted:

I played about a weekend of FF13 and stopped. Playing as Jason is awesome, playing as a counselor is even OK on the horror / game balance tip, but counselor gameplay basically seems to just be searching cabins and running from Jason when he shows up. There's no benefit to be had from engaging with Jason, cabin-searching is 100% the way to win. Even Tommy Jarvis's goal is to escape, not to shoot Jason and die in the process. I'd play a singleplayer that's just about being Jason, because it is fun to be Jason.

I mean killing Jason never worked out too well for anyone in the films.

Also a single player campaign is in the works right now, and you do indeed play as Jason in it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It actually has less content than DBD because:

- There's only three maps and all of the cabin and house locations are static so after a couple rounds in a map you've probably memorized it. DBD at least had the structures in the maps randomized (with the map shape canned, though there are more shapes) so the layout would change.
- All Jasons are more or less the same and none play drastically different where you need to change your gameplay up entirely.

There's also only 2 spots where cars will spawn, and 2 spots where the boat will spawn so finding out what is where doesn't require the map and you can use the process of elimination to basically figure out what to do. Luckily there more objectives for the counselors to go after in order to escape and survive than in DBD so that changes things up quite a bit but all of the escape options rely on specific items that can easily get lost if someone dies with them in the middle of the woods or you just get poo poo RNG and never find them because they're far away in a cabin no one had checked. Jason also knows where both vehicles are at all times at the start of the match so every match is now playing out the same with Jason setting his traps all over the car at the start of the round and taking out the power.

It's a shame because the game quickly devolved into a by the numbers routine where RNG factors in really heavily.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Not actually being allowed to kill people as a psycho killer helped ruin DbD for me, that and the balance seems to be way, way skewed for survivors. Most of the matches just turned into being stunned with pallets, getting infinite juked and people teabagging for however long every match. Also "Survive with friends" only served to poo poo on killers even harder, because then you've got coordinated groups of people running around on outside of the game comms when one of the kind of things of the game was trying to work with people without being able to flat out talk to them constantly. Like people complain about Jason being OP, but I'd rather that than ever have it be a repeat of what happened to DbD, where the killers are ridiculously non-threatening most of the time by this point.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 30, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So I take it that you primarily played killer because if you played survivor you'd be bitching about how the game is skewed too much toward the killer.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Survivor felt grossly easy once you got the teachables everyone went crazy with, self-care, sabotage all the hooks, that's what I meant by the last part, I'd rather the killer just come up and brain me rather than have to go through an extended song and dance that makes the actual killer not that scary to deal with. The only time killers did feel threatening most of the time was when they'd burn a mori, but they're even planning on making that worse soon from what I saw.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
FT13 would probably be ruined if you looked up a bunch of maps and memorized all the spawns yeah. I just queue up for games and play them because they're fun, I don't try to optimize my interactive horror movie, and I enjoy it a lot more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Too Shy Guy posted:

I was almost about to come back into this thread to yell about bullshit adventure game mechanics (okay but what am I supposed to do with this hammer?), but then I got surrounded by six gigantic rabbits and decided that this recc was a good one. Thanks! Still not thrilled with 'oh boy I'm playing an adventure game again,' but the story so far has definitely been worth it.

re: SH2 vs 3, I should stress that I understand and rather like the thematic choices for 2's otherworld, but my preference - leaving the narrative aspects aside and focusing solely on the aesthetics - still leans towards how 3 looked and felt. I should also say that I'm almost positive this has to do with playing 1 when it was first released, so I have rather glowing memories of smacking into the otherworld for the first time. What 2 absolutely did better was the slow burn towards crazy, however, so I have to give it some serious props for that.

In any event, I wasn't trashing the overall design. 'So far as I'm concerned' was not meant to be authoritative so much as 'this is so completely my jam.'