Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

I would be open to bringing Hartnell back to the Flyera under 2 conditions

1. Weal signs elsewhere
2. Only a 1 or 2 year deal on the cheap

He can replace SOME of the lost PP production without Schenn, and it would just be a cheap bridge deal until the younger guys come in and play at the PP1 level

He also seems to really be able to get under the skins of the Penguins which is cool

Other than that No Way Jose

E: It also wouldn't hurt if they found a way to ditch Lehtera because obvious reasons

Shawn Cotureier fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Look Around You posted:

Is it? I thought only LTIR was cumulative?

nah cap space is cumulative that's why they're always saying that some team has like $10 mill in cap space at the trade deadline

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Is it? I thought only LTIR was cumulative?

Not really, the cap is actually calculated daily. Teams can never exceed the daily limit, but you can sorta "bank" extra money you don't spend for the future. The daily limit is the maximum cap ($75M) divided by the days in the season (~185). So teams can pay players around $400k a day during the season. It's calculated that way to account for players being called up and sent down, injuries and trades. That way you're only ever paying for what you actually get out the team rather than the theoretical maximum of their salary. That's why you see teams with $85M payrolls under a $70M cap by the end of the season (because they didn't actually pay the players they picked up at the deadline or put on LTIR the full amount of their contracts).

So at the deadline a team may have $2M is banked space, which means they could add a player with an annual salary of around $6M because they'd only have to pay the remaining third of his contract.

I found this old (2010ish) explanation on capgeek kinda helpful.

quote:

To understand how each team's cap count is calculated, think of a bank account. For the 2009-10 season, teams got a "deposit" of about $294,300 each day which they can spend on player salaries [$56,800,000 salary cap upper limit / 193 days in the season]. The difference left over is "payroll room," or the amount that has been "banked" for the future, if needed. "Payroll room" can never fall below zero, meaning teams can't borrow from the future to pay for today.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

You can't buyout during the season, but this make some sense. Cap space is cumulative, so rather than spending to the cap now Chia is giving himself a bit of freedom to make a move at the deadline. $2M today can mean adding $6ish of salary at the deadline. That's a good player as opposed to a depth guy.

yeah but the ducks with 5MM in current cap space have 25MM in deadline cap space. short of being the hawks you are going to be able to add whatever you want at the deadline, capwise.

not sure why they didn't buy out fayne, 1 year left on his deal meant a shorter buyout term with only 300k? difference and pouliot had fairly consistent 30 point seasons before this year

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

hifi posted:

yeah but the ducks with 5MM in current cap space have 25MM in deadline cap space. short of being the hawks you are going to be able to add whatever you want at the deadline, capwise.

not sure why they didn't buy out fayne, 1 year left on his deal meant a shorter buyout term with only 300k? difference and pouliot had fairly consistent 30 point seasons before this year

Because buying out Fayne when we have the cap space this upcoming season and likely won't have cap space the season after is absolutely stupid, seeing as how that'd be even more dead cap going into 2018-19.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They don't have aot of depth in the right side of their defense, and again they already had about 4 million in cap space factoring in max bonuses and Draisaitl getting around 8 million.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They don't have aot of depth in the right side of their defense, and again they already had about 4 million in cap space factoring in max bonuses and Draisaitl getting around 8 million.

Bonuses come off the following year's cap so that's not an issue for 2017-18. The Oilers actually have a bunch more cap space than I thought with $18M left and only Drai left to sign. Assuming he gets $8Mish they're in good shape. That's kind of an odd decision, but I guess this is a wait and see/opening up a slot for a rookie thing? Maybe Chia has a big UFA contract lined up. That seems silly considering they'll be in cap hell next season.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Kilza posted:

Because buying out Fayne when we have the cap space this upcoming season and likely won't have cap space the season after is absolutely stupid, seeing as how that'd be even more dead cap going into 2018-19.

It's the oilers saying they want the cap space now, not me. I was pointing out that fayne only has 1 year remaining and buying him out turns into similar savings now with 2 years of a buyout instead of 4.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Bonuses come off the following year's cap so that's not an issue for 2017-18. The Oilers actually have a bunch more cap space than I thought with $18M left and only Drai left to sign. Assuming he gets $8Mish they're in good shape. That's kind of an odd decision, but I guess this is a wait and see/opening up a slot for a rookie thing? Maybe Chia has a big UFA contract lined up. That seems silly considering they'll be in cap hell next season.

Bonuses can roll over to the following year or get booked the current year if you have room. Considering McDavid mega bucks start 18-19, they might want to leave enough room to pay it off this year or at least give themselves the option.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It amuses me to no end that the oilers managed to pick first overall half a dozen times in a row then proceeded to trade half those top picks away for nothing and still manage to find their way into cap hell so quickly. Runner-up gm of the year, fo sho.

Plus they'll really be in trouble when they're in danger of missing the playoffs next season and sell the future at the deadline.

E: obviously not the Connor Leon future, but the lesser future. What I'm saying is they suck.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Ya it's loving weird.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

keeps being rumored that Vladimir Tkachev is at least going to attend Rangers training camp...he bought out his KHL contract and was supposed to be at the prospect camp they're having now but had visa issues. Could be interesting, very skilled and still young, put up good numbers in the KHL last season. Pretty slight though. Also a winger, don't know how that would pan out when teh Rangers need centers unless there are more moves to be made this summer

trade kreider for galchenyuk and watch montreal burn to the ground

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

My gm just traded a first for Ryan Reaves though so glass houses and all that

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/880497167194087425

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kris Versteeg was with the Flames?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Benny-Poo is pretty dang good I don't know why the Oilers poo poo themselves over him, I guess they just see him as the most expendable forward when they're trying to get cap space

e: so...why didn't Columbus buy out Hartnell earlier and use that spot to protect someone they didn't want to lose rather than pull off a lovely deal to protect some players? I'm not sure what their eligibility list looked like though

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 29, 2017

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Guys like Versteeg and Hartnell and Pouliot aren't world beaters or anything but it seems like every year there's perfectly useful veteran scoring depth available for basically nothing.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Levitate posted:

Benny-Poo is pretty dang good I don't know why the Oilers poo poo themselves over him, I guess they just see him as the most expendable forward when they're trying to get cap space

He was bad this season, but rather than keeping him to see if he bounced back (which I'd bet on) and trading him if he did, or at worst buying him out, just like with anybody that has a down year with the Oilers they went "OH poo poo HE'S USELESS NOW BETTER GET RID OF HIM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!"

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

2015-17

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I mean you just have to accept that occasionally Benny-Poo will pull some absolutely ridiculous poo poo and you'll be like what the gently caress man why can't you do that more often but he just can't, he just can't

Also more claims that Kevin Klein is definitely retiring

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Koopa Kid posted:

Guys like Versteeg and Hartnell and Pouliot aren't world beaters or anything but it seems like every year there's perfectly useful veteran scoring depth available for basically nothing.

I was hoping Versteeg would be a Rangers signing. Shame.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Levitate posted:

I mean you just have to accept that occasionally Benny-Poo will pull some absolutely ridiculous poo poo and you'll be like what the gently caress man why can't you do that more often but he just can't, he just can't

Also more claims that Kevin Klein is definitely retiring

he was doing that insane offensive zone penalty poo poo when he was having a good season then he kept right on doing it while having a poo poo season

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kilza posted:

He was bad this season, but rather than keeping him to see if he bounced back (which I'd bet on) and trading him if he did, or at worst buying him out, just like with anybody that has a down year with the Oilers they went "OH poo poo HE'S USELESS NOW BETTER GET RID OF HIM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!"

Yeah that was a weird rear end moving considering they'll be paying Pouliot for 4 years instead of two or one if they'd waited a single year to buy him out. Here's hoping Chia has decided to regurgitate a heaping helping of money into Karl Alzner's mouth like a mother bird feeding the cuckoo in its nest.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Levitate posted:

e: so...why didn't Columbus buy out Hartnell earlier and use that spot to protect someone they didn't want to lose rather than pull off a lovely deal to protect some players? I'm not sure what their eligibility list looked like though

The trade protected who they wanted to protect and offloaded Clarkson's contract and they were hopeful maybe someone would be dumb enough to trade for Hartnell's contract after everything shook out.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Golden Man posted:

he was doing that insane offensive zone penalty poo poo when he was having a good season then he kept right on doing it while having a poo poo season

whoops lol yeah I remember he was bad about that

sportsgenius86 posted:

The trade protected who they wanted to protect and offloaded Clarkson's contract and they were hopeful maybe someone would be dumb enough to trade for Hartnell's contract after everything shook out.

Fair enough, forgot about offloading Clarkson's contract as well.

Hartnell seems like a good budget get for a team that needs a bit of depth scoring

e: Freidman saying that Buffalo is going to go all in on Shattenkirk

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

If I'm Shattenkirk I am going nowhere near buffalo.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Shattenkirk only makes sense for Buffalo if they plan on trading Ristolainen and you know some dumb as poo poo GM would trade a ton for him. The only thing Ristolainen does well is man the PP but Shattenkirk is even better at it (and also better at the other aspects of the game).

Edit: ^^^ but yeah I don't know why Shattenkirk would want to go to Buffalo unless it's just some ridiculous offer.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It would be very funny if the Rangers snipe a FA that Buffalo goes after hard two summers in a row.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think there's some thought that Buffalo is "close enough" to NY and Shattenkirk's hometown

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

It would be very funny if the Rangers snipe a FA that Buffalo goes after hard two summers in a row.

Is it really sniping when everyone and their mother has assumed all year that Shattenkirk is signing in New York?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Levitate posted:

I think there's some thought that Buffalo is "close enough" to NY and Shattenkirk's hometown

But it's not. It's like 400 miles away. Washington DC is closer to his hometown.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Friedman wrote something involving the UFAs, and:

quote:

Two that seem close — if not done — are Trevor Daley (Detroit) and Dan Girardi (Tampa Bay).

Girardi is headed to Tampa? Not Detroit? What is this?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Kilza posted:

niemi to pittsburgh lol

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Kilza posted:

how you like them apples wonderllama

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Tampa no! Not all Rangers castoffs are good!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

Tampa no! Not all Rangers castoffs are good!

steve yzerman if you're reading this they actually are all extremely good, especially marc staal

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

hifi posted:

niemi to pittsburgh lol

That actually makes a lot of sense. It gives Jarry more time to develop in the AHL.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Elliott to Philly could end up working out really well.

If it doesn't I doubt he's signed more than two years and the Flyers certainly aren't up to compete for a Cup just yet.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
good for ken holland, adding a defenseman to his already stable crop of defensemen who can't play defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I would take Jason Demers on that contract on the Canucks in a heartbeat (assuming we're not giving up a futures heavy package). He's a fantastic player.

The speculation is that the Panthers want Gudbranson back and I cannot begin to tell you how much I want that to be true. Please do it Jim. I will forgive you many past transgressions.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 29, 2017

• Locked thread