Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh geez, I gotta pick one out of these three. Recommendations?

Dropsy is a feelgood game about damp hugs from a friendly clown. It's goonmade, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Personally, I'd pass. The AI is brain dead to the point where it can't even attempt to take a city if you've built the first level of walls. It's been broken like that since release and apparently still hasn't been fixed. The AI in Civ games has never been great and was made a lot worse with one unit per tile, but somehow they managed to make Civ VI even worse. At this point they seem to be just phoning it in.

loving still? Are you kidding me. It's been almost a year.

But yeah Civ 6 is massively disappointing. Basic changes to stuff make it not even casually fun. Some people swear by mod packs, but eh.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I've got a couple games in my Steam inventory I'd like to get rid of. They're a bit old, but if anyone's interested:

Thank you for Torchlight :)

Ragequit posted:

Since I have seen requests of play though lengths pop up here a few times, everyone should be aware of https://howlongtobeat.com/ . I use it fairly often when deciding what games to buy or when choosing what to play next.

Is there any reason why this doesn't have the simple login with Steam option like Steam completionist and others? It looks better than other sites, but I'm not sure why I have to register an account.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 29, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dropsy is a feelgood game about damp hugs from a friendly clown. It's goonmade, too!

Sold.

Other duder,
I'm at work so I can't Steam. If you can hold it 'til 5 central time I'd appreciate it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Anyone got words on Space Rangers HD?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh geez, I gotta pick one out of these three. Recommendations?

I hear good things about dropsy, but I found it a bit hard to get into(still need to play more of it). I'd recommend broken age; even though the ending feels a bit rushed, the first half is super loving solid

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

I don't know anything about this game but I instantly recoil/navigate away when I see stock RPGMaker graphics...but for some reason the screenshots of that look really pleasing to me and I added the game to my cart

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

DontMindMe posted:

The Floor is Jelly

I played through this a while back and I think it's worth $1.49, but be forewarned that the ending sequence is randomized and chaotic in a way that can get frustrating. I still enjoyed it, though.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Sold.

Other duder,
I'm at work so I can't Steam. If you can hold it 'til 5 central time I'd appreciate it.

No worries, it was one from a humble bundle so I just sent you the link over forums PM.

Feel free to add me on Steam later anyway, I'm always looking for more Steam friends.

Enjoy!

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 29, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

No worries, it was one from a humble bundle so I just sent you the link over forums PM.

Feel free to add me on Steam later anyway, I'm always looking for more Steam friends.

Enjoy!

Thank you kindly!!

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

DontMindMe posted:

I went through some hidden gems threads/posts and came out with the following list of stuff, coming to $68.01

Anyone familiar with any of these that can talk me out of any of them?

Wuppo
Gateways
Tetrobot and Co
The Floor is Jelly

These are all good IMO, the only negatives I can think of are Gateways' puzzles get extremely complex by the end and The Floor is Jelly is really short and has a couple of frustrating moments near the end. I'd still recommend them all if you're interested though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Are there any games like Muramasa/Odin Sphere on steam?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

Are there any games like Muramasa/Odin Sphere on steam?

there's that deviantart-rear end looking dust: an elysian tail game i think

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Maybe Dust: An Elysian Tail? It's a 2D sidescroller with really good, challenging combat, RPG elements, exploration and great animation. Currently 80% off too.

I guess Cowcaster beat me because I was checking if it was on sale. Warning that the story and voice acting are pretty bad though.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 29, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

never check anything :justpost:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I just wish Vanillaware would port their games to PC so I could get a decent deal on one instead of having to pay out the nose. Amazon has Odin Sphere PS4 for $67 :(

I think I own Dust though so maybe I'll play that. I'll just squint real hard.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Someone posted an early access action RPG that was a straight vanillaware art style/Dragon's Crown ripoff down to big titty anime protagonist, I don't remember name but it was in this thread iirc

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Lakbay posted:

Someone posted an early access action RPG that was a straight vanillaware art style/Dragon's Crown ripoff down to big titty anime protagonist, I don't remember name but it was in this thread iirc

The Vagrant.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Despite phoneposting/confusing Star Wolves for something else, forums poster -Blackadder- is a cool goon who gave me free digital entertainment. Thank you!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

The Vagrant.

Just looked it up, looks incredible! I'll probably wait until the full release to buy it though.

Crazy that companies completely ignore the PC marketplace and let other devs come in and eat their lunch, but what can you do.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
In my quest to fill my cart with every obscure game that looks interesting to me I found an isometric claymation RPG called Don't Open the Doors! Anyone have an opinion on it?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

PantsBandit posted:

I just wish Vanillaware would port their games to PC so I could get a decent deal on one instead of having to pay out the nose. Amazon has Odin Sphere PS4 for $67 :(

I think I own Dust though so maybe I'll play that. I'll just squint real hard.

Surely you can buy Odin Sphere PS4 from the online store at its list price.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

Surely you can buy Odin Sphere PS4 from the online store at its list price.

$60 for a year old game. I'm poor and hardly ever pay full price for games.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Try like eBay or even Gamestop.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Anyone who plays couch coop with friends needs to buy Overcooked complete edition immediately.

What a fun game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Taima posted:

Anyone who plays couch coop with friends needs to buy Overcooked complete edition immediately.

What a fun game.

Overcooked is an amazing game and is so much fun to play with friends.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Is Telltale Batman any good?

My "modern" Telltale rankings are

GOD TIER - Borderlands
Solid Tier - Walking Dead Season 1
Wet Fart Tier - Walking Dead Season 2

for reference.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GigaPeon posted:

Is Telltale Batman any good?

It's somewhere between solid and a wet fart on your scale.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PantsBandit posted:

It does have the old game as well.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I like Dead State! I made two posts about it in the Steam thread, but figured I should bring them up here now that I know this is here.

Rookersh posted:

I have no idea what that person is smoking, because it's basically janky Fallout 2, with Fallout 2 combat, with Fallout 2 companions. Just vs zombies.

But yeah, short version before I bring that up. You start out in a school with no resources/half the school busted down. If you've got a high enough construction skill ( or find someone with high construction skill ) you can rebuild the bits of school. You can also build coops, new garages, work on a car to get that running, etc etc. Basically turning your run down school into a real honest shelter, with medical labs, workout areas, etc etc.

There are also something like 25-50ish survivors on the world map, and god knows if you'll find even half of them since it's a Fallout style map, and you only find zones when you get close to them/sent to them. About 10-20ish survivors will join you through main story beats, but the majority are out there looking to be saved. They all have their own traits/paths they'll train down as they level up ( which they level up by surviving. The more days they've survived in your base, the more exp they get. You don't really choose their skill paths, they have their own ideas. ). Most to all of them also have sidequests attached to them to go find stuff, find their friends, set up SOS signals, building stuff, etc etc. They feel shallowish ( let's be realistic here, there are 50 of them, so imagine how fleshed out they all have to be. ), but they feel deep enough it basically works out.

You can find horses in the world to take back to your school which give you a more silent method of transport/don't require gas. Horses eat more food though, so you need to scavenge more, etc etc. Every new person you bring in might be a new body to help you scavenge zones, or might be an expert carpenter, but you also hit a point where you need to feed everyone at the end of every day, and the more bodies you have in the shelter the harder that gets. Having all 50 or so people plus 4 horses can easily become unsustainable after a point if you haven't been building for food with farms/coops/etc and been scavenging/cooking right.

Scavenging is Fallout 2 style. You leave the school with a group of just you/up to 4 other dudes and go wander to points on the map that load in to actual combat zones. Nothing respawns, so after you've fully looted a zone it's basically a deadzone, forcing you to loot further and further out over time. Carrying weight/how much poo poo you need back home usually causes you to spend 2-3 attempts to fully clear a zone however. You can find zombies which are slow and pretty easy to take down but spawn in numbers ( and can bite you/your NPCs, which infects them. Once infected they need a daily dose of antibiotics or they turn after 4-5ish days of no antibiotics. Another thing to suddenly need to scavenge! ), looters ( gently caress LOOTERS ), and eventually gangs/military that are holding down areas and have to be dealt with. There will be many times you'll open up a house/map and see a bunch of dudes with assault rifles looting an area and have to just let them have it, because you can't take that right now.

Permadeath is in, if your NPCs go down, they stay down. This has negative effects on school morale, especially if people are in a relationship.

Like I could just keep going, there are a lot of systems in the game and they all work generally pretty well. Leveling up for example is a lot different then most RPGs. Rather then get exp for fighting, you have tally marks. Like bring in 200 food, or bring in 40 luxury items, or help build the coop or something. And every one of those you do gets you another skill point. Get 5 skill points and you get a stat point. Your character grows pretty naturally alongside your shelter/community, and it encourages you to really focus on building up the whole thing at once.

It's not all sunshine and perfect though, it's got some jank. Since the PC has to be in every zone in, the PC can't just be a fully builder type character initially. You need to take some combat skills since you will be one of the combat characters. There was also supposed to be a "cure" plotline, and it's most of the way integrated into the game, but the dev ran out of money while trying to implement it, so it basically just fizzles off and stops getting referenced after a certain point. There's also just some "old game" style animation/gameplay jank you should expect from the dude that made Arcanum/Vampire's the Masquerade Bloodlines.

Oh yeah, that should be at the top of this sell shouldn't it. It's an RPG made by the guy that helped make og Fallout/Fallout 2, and broke off to form Troika/make Arcanum/VtmB. His pedigree shows.

$5 is a steal if you are willing to accept it'll feel like a game that released around the time of BG2ish, if they kept trying to make Fallout style games by that point.

Rookersh posted:

So I've been playing a bit of Dead State, and noticed no goons on my friends list have touched it, let alone bought it. Figured I'd put a good word in for it.

First sell? It's made by the same people that made Arcanum and Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines. Also if you follow the pedigree back, they worked on hallmarks such as Fallout 1/2/Planescape, and newer stuff like Alpha Protocol/New Vegas. These are RPG luminaries, and it shows across the board with what this game accomplishes.

Short version, it's a RPG set in a Walking Dead style world. Don't worry about the zombies, they are more setpiece then enemy, just like Walking Dead. You build your character in the beginning, choosing their Strength, Agility ( AP points! ), Vigor, and Perception. You choose their skills, which can range across from attack based stuff ( Melee/Ranged ), to dialogue stuff ( Leadership/Negotiation ), to building/shelter stuff ( Science, Mechanical, etc etc ). It plays similar in a lot of ways to other RPGs of it's type, such as old Fallout, Arcanum, etc etc.

Honestly I could go into more detail on all that stuff, but I think that sets the stage well enough. You either like those types of RPGs or you don't. Hell, I like those types of RPGs and I bounced off Dead State 2-3 times before it really stuck for me, entirely because of how dense an RPG this actually is. It took a lot of work before I felt ready for it.

See Dead State goes all in on the ideas State of Decay barely touches on.

You have a shelter where you can send survivors. You start with 3-4, but there are upwards of 50 people across the world you can save. Each of them has a personal quest attached. Each of them has their own problems they are dealing with. Each of them has their own story attached to them. Some might mutiny and try to take others with them. Some might cause problems back home for you. Some might have requirements like needing medical aid/diabetes shots regularly that make them more problematic to keep alive. There are constantly interactions between these survivors, some good and some bad, and you as the leader need to make sure none of their problems threaten the overall safety of the base.

You can also use them to do various tasks. The base has a variety of cool things you can build for it/upgrade it in, Gardens, Science Labs, Machining Stations etc etc. Once you start getting more survivors you can take the ones with enough skill in something and have them produce more antibiotics/ammo/armor, all of which can be used by your away team. Your base needs guards, so once you get a watchtower up/some guns, you can station a few of them to guard the perimeter. You need to go into the world obviously, so you can set 4 of them as the active party that goes out scavenging with you.

Survivors need to be fed though, they also want basic luxury goods. If they get bit out in a combat mission/come bit, they need daily antibiotics to keep them from turning. Some people again have medical issues, and they need different medical care. So every day you lose resources feeding/keeping everyone happy. Fail to get those resources, people die, people turn on you, people mutiny. You get those resources by going out into the world and scavenging for supplies in a Fallout 2 combat encounter style area. More you carry back per day, the better chances you have the next day. While scavenging, you can also find survivors hidden away throughout the world that'll come with you.

But the world is also dangerous! Early on zombie encounters can be very threatening, as a single bite can turn that NPC into an infected after 3 days, forcing you to either keep them on constant antibodies, or well, kill them. As you progress and get access to armor/better armor the zombies become more and more of a nuisance rather then a real threat, but then you have to contend with looters, rival gangs, and eventually the military. All of which can easily take out your survivors with their own weapons ( and you can HEAVILY see the Fallout comparisons, since it's made by the guy that designed Fallout 2, and you are mainly engaged in basically that exact style of combat gun battles over limited resources. Looters pretty obviously translate to Raiders, gangs to gangs, and the Military to the Enclave. ), leaving you with dead people to have to take back with you.

Survivors die, the people they've befriended/their family won't be happy. This opens up more quests/problems for you to have to deal with.

It's this odd mix of XCOM style spirals where you can quickly lose the game because you didn't handle your resources/survivors well enough, mixed with Fallout 2 fighting, mixed with Crossroads Keep from NWN2.

And this all culminates in the quest beats. You are constantly getting requests to deal with groups/how you want to deal with them. Do you want to pay off a gang that's threatening you? Start a war? Some rear end in a top hat survivor is trying to start a mutiny, he says you aren't a great leader after you got the sheriff killed, and he's got a few survivors with him. Do you let them leave? Kill him to make an example of the group? Each of these has consequences attached to them.

It's just this grueling march through a lovely situation where you could feasibly get everyone through safely, but will probably have to make more then a few bad choices/end up with a few dead survivors that deserved to make it to the end. And it's great for it.

Oh, there's a car you can repair/upgrade, you can find and ride horses, there are dog companions, etc etc. I found a cat in the game world and brought it back to base, and now I get a +5 to morale for having a cat. I can see the cat running around my base.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Started up Creepy Castle and in the first ten minutes I found a note from a resident bitching that their apartment has running water, which could let someone sneak in at night and turn it on to drown them.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Thanks for the feedback on the list!

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Rookersh posted:

I like Dead State! I made two posts about it in the Steam thread, but figured I should bring them up here now that I know this is here.

I liked Dead State as well, but sadly only got to see a glimpse of the depth of its systems because the insufferably long waiting times in battles with lots of enemies made me quit :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've been trying to play Dead State for the last week (owned it since early access) and, like Wasteland 2, they seem to have latched on to the shittiest parts of old CRPGs and so the game is aggressively bad to play.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Dead State at least had the excuse of being made by 2 people on a very modest budget.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

DontMindMe posted:

I went through some hidden gems threads/posts and came out with the following list of stuff, coming to $68.01

Anyone familiar with any of these that can talk me out of any of them?

The Turing Test - This game would be amazing if it was released a couple years earlier, as it stands its a great game outshone by other First Person Puzzlers.
TRI: Of Friendship and Madness - You draw triangles in the air in order to build bridges and slopes, there's some gravity fuckery as well, but there's no puzzles that can't simply be solved by drawing more triangles and it was a little too exacting for my taste
LostWinds 1 and 2 - I played this back when it was WiiWare, I remember it being good at the time but it's probably a little bland now
Gateways - Other people have mentioned how crazy the puzzles get, they're all right, the use of portals in this game is really cool, but the way it's represented ingame is very disorienting
Tetrobot and Co - It's a well done mobile puzzle game, but its still a mobile puzzle game
Sokobond - Solid puzzle game with tons of puzzles, but not much variety and hoo boy does it get difficult
SquareCells - Not as good as hexcells, the biggest crime
The Floor is Jelly - I bounced off this pretty hard, just a short meh platformer.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Are Final Fantasy 5 and 6 worth getting on Steam? I've got a hankering to play 5 and I would love to play 6 but I've also heard that the Steam versions of both are kind of hit-or-miss.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
They are tablet ports, not the SNES versions that people love. Meaning they have new sprites and such. Look them up on youtube and see if the graphic style puts you off before you buy in.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Probottt posted:

Are Final Fantasy 5 and 6 worth getting on Steam? I've got a hankering to play 5 and I would love to play 6 but I've also heard that the Steam versions of both are kind of hit-or-miss.

Don't inflict this pain on yourself. They phoned it in with the Steam versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What do you guys recommend as far as first person turn based RPG Dungeon Crawlers that might flown under the radar, I'm basically talking about stuff like the Wizardy series, Might & Magic X - Legacy, StarCrawlers, Elminage Gothic etc. I played Legend of GrimrockI &II, also.

• Locked thread