Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

These are looking great! How do you paint your green?

Airbrush black then a couple of zenith highlights up to a yellow, drybrush the lot with the brightest yellow you got and drown the model In greenwash :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cheers lad

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Templars "no psykers" rule appears on page 10, which is certainly some weird organisation.

I actually picked up a second set of Primaris to bolster the Black Templars I started about fifteen years ago. Really pumped to finally get some of this stuff on the table, even though it feels like that was a lifetime ago.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Corrode posted:

Cheers lad

Secret Weapon Minis also makes some.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Started assembling my Dark Imperium guys. Can't get over how high quality they are. Really appreciating that the Death Guard are properly thicc in their armor - I always thought the old models looked like they skipped leg day for the past 10,000 years.

Is there a recommended method for removing the mold lines from segmented tentacles on the poxwalkers, or is it just one of those 'be real careful' kind of things? Been using the back of my knife but sometimes I end up slicing off a bit of the detail.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 29, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Geoff Zahn posted:

Started assembling my Dark Imperium guys. Can't get over how high quality they are. Really appreciating that the Death Guard are properly thicc in their armor - I always thought the old models looked like they skipped leg day for the past 10,000 years.

Is there a recommended method for removing the mold lines from segmented tentacles on the poxwalkers, or is it just one of those 'be real careful' kind of things? Been using the back of my knife but sometimes I end up slicing off a big of the detail.

This is one thing the Moldline Remover GW sells is actually good for, though obviously it's a little pricy. Otherwise yeah, just take it slowly with the back of your scalpel.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Geoff Zahn posted:

Is there a recommended method for removing the mold lines from segmented tentacles on the poxwalkers, or is it just one of those 'be real careful' kind of things? Been using the back of my knife but sometimes I end up slicing off a big of the detail.

Why, the $17.50 Citadel Mouldline Remover, of course!

Joking aside, this might actually be a reasonable tool from them. Review from a guy on Dakka:

quote:

Yes, a No 11 blade, sand paper, emery board, sanding stick, standing block, file, or whatever tool will work. No, it will not be as clean or as easy in many cases.

The GW mould line remover tool is much, much stiffer than a No 11 blade (it won't bend at all), and the end close to the handle is gently curved. This gives you two immediate, practical benefits:

1. The mould line remover will almost never damage the model, especially soft miniatures such as plastic or resin. Because a knife is flexible, if you don't get the angle right, it can drag or bend, and you might nick your miniature.

2. Against a flat surface, the flat part of the remover tool will give you an absolutely perfect removal in a single swipe. But guess what? it will do the same on a smooth curved surface too. There are a zillion GW models that have smooth curved surfaces, like the legs and shoulders on space marines.

The tool also lasts forever. It doesn't dull, dent, or wear in any way. The new GW tool and old one are pretty similar, but the new one is about the same price, and is weighted better (the old one comes with a cleanup brush that's nothing special).

The mould line remover tool isn't "necessary", but in many instances, it is just a better tool and gives a cleaner removal in less time. It's also only something like $15 -- which is the lower bound of one premium model. Think diamond files, knife blades (other than No 11), a pin vise, or sanding block. You don't need any of them, but in certain situations, they just make your life a lot easier.

If you have a friend who owns one, try it. I can't imagine not having it in my cleanup kit, now.

It's the only tool from GW that I have considered buying.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
So, turns out Necron Gauss Pylons are ridiculous. T8, 30 wounds, 3+, 5++. 2+ BS. It's immobile, but can deep strike turn 1. Main gun has 120" range, is a macro weapon, d6 shots, S16, AP-4, 6+d3 damage. A secondary weapon that gets 2d6 strength 6, AP-2 shots, and a pistol weapon that gets 3d6 shots at strength 4, ap-1.

For 470 points.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Took some shots of the Chaplain this morning in the light box, so I figured I'd share.

quote:

poo poo, I forgot to paint the grip on the Crozius Arcanum. I'm glad I post these giant shots of them.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 29, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Master Twig posted:

So, turns out Necron Gauss Pylons are ridiculous. T8, 30 wounds, 3+, 5++. 2+ BS. It's immobile, but can deep strike turn 1. Main gun has 120" range, is a macro weapon, d6 shots, S16, AP-4, 6+d3 damage. A secondary weapon that gets 2d6 strength 6, AP-2 shots, and a pistol weapon that gets 3d6 shots at strength 4, ap-1.

For 470 points.

Yeah my group's Necron player has already been twirling his mustache and nerd-cackling about using his because it's basically a bigass Titankilling gun (it can one-shot knights and most knight-sized Titanic vehicles because its primary gun has Macro and hits on a 2+). I suspect the way to deal with it is dropping a bunch of chainfist terminators on it.

470 points is a lot for something that can't move though, and is only kind of useful against non-vehicle/non-titan models. It's really good, but I don't think it's gonna break games, especially if you don't bring a juicy target for it to shoot.

e: Also the 2D6 gun isn't a secondary weapon, it's a secondary firing mode of the main gun. If this thing isn't shooting titans, it's got 18" range with the secondary mode and 3" with the pistol.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 29, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So someone pointed out to me that winged daemon princes are way better than having a great unclean one. Cheaper, way faster, they provide a captain-style hit aura to both death guard and the nurgle daemons, and they're 8 wounds so can hide behind infantry. They're easier to kill once they get to the fight but T6 W8 3+/5++ is still good. It's just about the only model in my army without disgustingly resilient though, which is weird. Also does 3 damage a hit instead of the GUO's d6 but way more likely to actually get to the fight to hit something that needs that kind of damage. Also warptime is amazing, I'll still have the herald in the list to give me access to a nurgle daemon spell which means I've got 3 different psyker tables to pull from. The great unclean one is much tougher but also highly likely to eat lascannon fire when going downfield, the prince won't.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Master Twig posted:

For 470 points.

As a Necron player, I can guarantee some motherfucker is making up for not having a decent superheavy for all of 7th edition.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

As a Necron player, I can guarantee some motherfucker is making up for not having a decent superheavy for all of 7th edition.

Yeah it's real good at making your opponent regret bringing/just not bring a Titan

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah it's real good at making your opponent regret bringing/just not bring a Titan

I'm no fan of superheavies generally unless everyone agrees to Apoc-level silly poo poo. A friend quit her Orks after a 6th ed Apocalypse game of just the Transcendant C'tan murdered her two Stompas like it was nothing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

I'm no fan of superheavies generally unless everyone agrees to Apoc-level silly poo poo. A friend quit her Orks after a 6th ed Apocalypse game of just the Transcendant C'tan murdered her two Stompas like it was nothing.

I'm OK with Knights and that class of "tiny superheavies" but I agree that anything bigger needs to be relegated to Apocalypse-style games or Escalation scenarios where it's either "a bunch of dudes trying to take down a superheavy" or "godzilla fights"

The Transcendant C'Tan was way better in 6th/Apocalypse than it was in 7th, when it suddenly got random powers

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Old Apoc was all about spamming the D and abusing huge balance discrepancies (C'tan vs Stompa, Warhound vs Hierophant, etc). Virtually every Apoc game I've played would start with my expensive poo poo getting deleted off the table before it could move, leaving me wondering why I own these expensive centrepieces.

First impressions and all, but 8E seems to have made huge improvements in this aspect of 40k. Standardising how unit profiles work smooths out the all-or-nothing rules (like those large units that didn't quite make the super-heavy grade). Everything can hurt everything else, so no more being stuck unable to hurt AV13/14 or needing to land fluke hits on a flyer. Lifting the stat cap means more granularity, rather than tipping points like Str10 to StrD. Higher wound counts & more frequent damage give a psychological boost as you see you're making progress, rather than needing fewer impacts that bounce off more frequently.

While I'm still not about to bring a Hierophant to a typical game, I definitely feel more comfortable about seeing Titanic units outside 10,000pt+ whole-weekend events. They're now a natural progression of the game system, rather than an ugly extension bolted on top.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

xtothez posted:

Virtually every Apoc game I've played would start with my expensive poo poo getting deleted off the table before it could move, leaving me wondering why I own these expensive centrepieces.

There's a warhammer community post about some 19000 point 30k game where most of the titans and knights on both sides including a reaver are removed turn 1.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I like this fluff direction that the Imperium is headed in. They are getting very brutal with these new Primaris Marines, especially the Reivers. Now it seems that the Night Lords terror tactics are 100% fine. Things look like they are going to get interesting.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Master Twig posted:

For 470 points.

It's Also -1 to hit non-fly units and effectively only has one gun per shooting phase.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

An hour before a game I've realised I have one less Dreadnought than I thought I did, which is a bit of a handicap in a list with six dreads. Whoops.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

jadebullet posted:

I like this fluff direction that the Imperium is headed in. They are getting very brutal with these new Primaris Marines, especially the Reivers. Now it seems that the Night Lords terror tactics are 100% fine. Things look like they are going to get interesting.

Reivers are total bitch posers until they start wearing people's faces and digging holes for skinning pits

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

People on Facebook are real upset that they're basically Night Lords. I think they look cool as hell and sound rad. To me, it just reads like Guilliman isn't loving around and wants to regain what was lost, and isn't afraid to use whatever means necessary to get it.

Who knows, maybe he spoke with the real brutal Chapter Masters and got some pointers.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
The Power costs on a bunch of Chaos units seem way off. Am I missing something? Like, take Warp Talons. They cost 9 power for 5 models, and that should correspond to ~180pts ... except for their points per model are only 26 (15 base + 13 for a pair of lightning claws), for a point cost of 140 for 5 (with no other upgrade options).

Sorcerors and Exalted Sorcerors also suffer from the same problem; judging from the points cost, power seems to be 1 or 2 points above what you'd expect.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

The Power costs on a bunch of Chaos units seem way off. Am I missing something? Like, take Warp Talons. They cost 9 power for 5 models, and that should correspond to ~180pts ... except for their points per model are only 26 (15 base + 13 for a pair of lightning claws), for a point cost of 140 for 5 (with no other upgrade options).

Sorcerors and Exalted Sorcerors also suffer from the same problem; judging from the points cost, power seems to be 1 or 2 points above what you'd expect.

Power costs are supposedly drawn from an averagely kitted-out unit, not a minimum one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Bee posted:

I don't know of they'd get full codex status, but hopefully fan favorite successors like them can get at least chapter tactics.

This is why I think maybe just doing two Space Marine codices, one for codex-compliant chapters and one for non, would be for the best. "Okay, here's the special rules and unique units for the Space Wolves et al, the Blood Angels and descendants, the Dark Angels and descendants, the Black Templars, and the Legion of the Damned."

JBP posted:

The Space Wolves are equally divergent since they're essentially still a legion and just went gently caress off with regard to the codex.

They're not the only chapter that's effectively still a Legion. The Dark Angels are, too, with all their successors, as are the Blood Angels. The Imperial Fists in the books have a special protocol to recall absolutely every Fist successor and reassemble them temporarily into one unified legion (including the Black Templars), and the Ultramarine successors are noted in at least one book to be so uniform in doctrine and practice that aside from a few weirdo successors the Ultrasmurfs and their successors effectively are still a Legion as well.

Funnily enough, it's only the Scars and the Istvaan chapters that don't act like they're still a legion.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Marines Malevolent should fit right in with this kindler, gentler Imperium 2.0.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Cythereal posted:

This is why I think maybe just doing two Space Marine codices, one for codex-compliant chapters and one for non, would be for the best. "Okay, here's the special rules and unique units for the Space Wolves et al, the Blood Angels and descendants, the Dark Angels and descendants, the Black Templars, and the Legion of the Damned."

The one thing making me doubt that is if we're getting a full on Death Guard codex, but I can understand if having specific units geared towards the four chaos gods makes them a bit more distinct than "Space Marine but wolf," "Space Marine but blood," and "Space Marine but sword."

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

Space Marine butt wolf

For the last time they are called Thunderwolves.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

JoshTheStampede posted:

Power costs are supposedly drawn from an averagely kitted-out unit, not a minimum one.

The Warp Talons don't have any options though! For 5 models, they can't cost any more than 140 points / 9 power. The other units have the same issue: if you max out the unit you still end up paying ~30 pts more than you'd expect based on the 20pts = 1 Power thingy. Poor warp talons =(

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

People on Facebook are real upset that they're basically Night Lords. I think they look cool as hell and sound rad. To me, it just reads like Guilliman isn't loving around and wants to regain what was lost, and isn't afraid to use whatever means necessary to get it.
Which will hopefully start down the road to other chapters questioning his means and maybe causing some internal strife and/or Gulliman, at some point, questioning his own actions.

Terror troops are definitely out of line with most of the previous Imperium-based 40K fluff.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They're not just terror marines but terror marines with weaponized voices. It's like they're just mashing the traitor legions together.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They're not just terror marines but terror marines with weaponized voices. It's like they're just mashing the traitor legions together.

I hope Cawl invents Chaos Super-Skrull.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Getting 500pt lists together for my kids to learn with. Younger kids (11 and 8) so trying to keep it easy but I want to give them a fair idea of different rules. I have a start collecting box for Wolves and Necrons, so any obvious flaws or clearly one-sided issues with these lists?

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Wolves) [26 PL, 498pts] ++

+ HQ +

Wolf Lord [5 PL, 83pts]: Frost sword, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Grey Hunters [13 PL, 219pts]: 6x Chainsword, Wolf Standard
. Grey Hunter Pack Leader: Power sword
. 6x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol
. Grey Hunter w/Plasma Pistol: Plasma pistol
. Grey Hunter with Special Weapon: Bolt Pistol, Plasma gun
. Grey Hunter with Special Weapon: Bolt Pistol, Flamer
. Wolf Guard Pack Leader: Power fist, Storm bolter

+ Fast Attack +

Thunderwolf Cavalry [8 PL, 196pts]
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Frost sword, Storm shield
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Frost sword, Storm shield
. Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Frost axe, Plasma pistol

++ Patrol Detachment (Necrons) [29 PL, 495pts] ++

+ HQ +

Overlord [7 PL, 154pts]: Resurrection Orb, Staff of Light

+ Troops +

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 144pts]: 12x Necron Warrior

+ Elites +

Triarch Stalker [8 PL, 158pts]: Particle Shredder

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Scarabs [2 PL, 39pts]: 3x Canoptek Scarab Swarm

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I've heard demon possessed robots and centuries old traitor marines are spooked easily by skulls

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hixson posted:

I've heard demon possessed robots and centuries old traitor marines are spooked easily by skulls

You have a really weird opinion about what our Imperial Police Force should be used for. Reavers obviously are a peacekeeping unit.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's the same thing Sicarian Infiltrators use(d), the Nuerostatic-aura. It's a high-pitched noise that makes eyes vibrate in their skulls and overwhelms senses, but the other Skitarii just hear dope rear end beats.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's the same thing Sicarian Infiltrators use(d), the Nuerostatic-aura. It's a high-pitched noise that makes eyes vibrate in their skulls and overwhelms senses, but the other Skitarii just hear dope rear end beats.

So yeah, Noise Marines

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Paul Atreides spent lifetimes regretting that he didnt give the Fremen skull masks.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

The Warp Talons don't have any options though! For 5 models, they can't cost any more than 140 points / 9 power. The other units have the same issue: if you max out the unit you still end up paying ~30 pts more than you'd expect based on the 20pts = 1 Power thingy. Poor warp talons =(
Power is very inconsistent and rarely seems to work out to 20 points even. Don't try to apply logic to that system. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Which will hopefully start down the road to other chapters questioning his means and maybe causing some internal strife and/or Gulliman, at some point, questioning his own actions.

Terror troops are definitely out of line with most of the previous Imperium-based 40K fluff.

Yeah, I think the tactics, specifically terror, are out of step with the traditional route of the Imperium mostly, but the aesthetics aren't - which i think is a big deal for people. I honestly think it's just cause they're blue and have skull masks . But skulls are certainly not an aesthetic value attributed solely to the Night Lords.

It would be cool to see people questioning Bobby G's tactics, but I don't think there's any one particular type of combat doctrine that would make the Imperium shrug. We're talking about an oppressive entity that wipes out whole worlds at a time cause some dude wiped blood on his face and prayed to a blood god, or wiped poo poo on his face and prayed to a poop god.