Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What does entry in the Magic hall of fame get you? Invitations to the Pro Tour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Star Man posted:

What does entry in the Magic hall of fame get you? Invitations to the Pro Tour?

You get an invitation and a chunk of change for showing up.

Appearance fees are how pros are living minimum wage lives.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol imagine caring about who goes into the "Magic the gathering 'hall of fame'" and what people say about it

It's like someone found a way to take sports HOF debates/drama and make them even less consequential

I hope Pikula gets in because he's a chill dude and Magic isn't the only thing in his life.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The concept of the HoF including active players still kind of :psyduck:s me

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

You get an invitation and a chunk of change for showing up.

Appearance fees are how pros are living minimum wage lives.
Not any more lol.

As an HoF member, you have a standing invite to all PTs. You get airfare to one per year, generally the one where that year's induction ceremony is held. I think appearance fees are only for diamond/gold pros now, which you may or may not also have depending on if you're still active. Or they're at the very most they're now totally minimal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mezzanon posted:

I hope Pikula gets in because he's a chill dude and Magic isn't the only thing in his life.

The importance he places in his successes and failures in magic came off really weird in that doc wotc funded.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

little munchkin posted:

it's actually really important to celebrate the people who got so good at a children's card game that they managed to get paid minimum wage for it

Yeah man, gently caress people who care about poo poo. Better to be a cynical bastard and just sneer at everyone!

Seriously, what the gently caress? Sure, it's silly, but people care about this - just let them have this one thing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I looked it up: http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/hall-fame-top-players-coverage-events

You get:

Hall of Fame benefits posted:

Each Hall of Fame member will receive (1) an invitation to each Pro Tour tournament, (2) a $1500 appearance fee at the Pro Tour in which the member participates and at which the Hall of Fame induction ceremony takes place, (3) a $250 appearance fee at the World Magic Cup tournament in which the member participates, (4) a third-round bye at each individual-format Grand Prix in which the member participates, (5) an invitation to Nationals in the country designated by the member's Nationality, (6) a first-round bye at Nationals, (7) complimentary sleep-in special at each Grand Prix (when available), and (8) 35 QPs on Magic Online on the third Wednesday of each month.

Also, if you get anything like an appearance fee for being a platinum-level player, you will receive both your hall of fame and platinum appearance fees.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jenx posted:

Yeah man, gently caress people who care about poo poo. Better to be a cynical bastard and just sneer at everyone!

Seriously, what the gently caress? Sure, it's silly, but people care about this - just let them have this one thing.

it's fine if you want to use it as a positive thing but if it's an excuse to get into twitter slapfights then lol get over yourself with this protecting the sanctity of hasbro's marketing campaign

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
My opponent duressed me and I had Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Elspeth, Knight-Errant in my hand. He took Gideon, but I think that was wrong choice - agree or disagree? (I was playing somewhat generic W/B in cube)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Was Holdout Settlement really too out of flavor?

e: it even has devastation in the flavor text!

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Was Holdout Settlement really too out of flavor?

e: it even has devastation in the flavor text!

Holdout Settlement wouldn't be a desert, otherwise I'd agree with you

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Marketing New Brain posted:

Holdout Settlement wouldn't be a desert, otherwise I'd agree with you

Oh right forgot that was a thing. At least deserts seem better supported than gates.

besides maze's end turbo fog

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Unrelated, but I think that card has legitimately solid flavor text, which is a nice change

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

My opponent duressed me and I had Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Elspeth, Knight-Errant in my hand. He took Gideon, but I think that was wrong choice - agree or disagree? (I was playing somewhat generic W/B in cube)

It seems right to me.
Elspeth's tokens are smaller and using her other mode only hits for 4 a turn. Gideon makes 2/2s and attacks for 5. So even with Elspeth's most damaging modes being used against Gideon's least damaging modes, Gideon out-damages her after 3 turns while also having 2 other, better abilities.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

It seems right to me.
Elspeth's tokens are smaller and using her other mode only hits for 4 a turn. Gideon makes 2/2s and attacks for 5. So even with Elspeth's most damaging modes being used against Gideon's least damaging modes, Gideon out-damages her after 3 turns while also having 2 other, better abilities.

Elspeth's ability works immediately if you have a creature and giving the target evasion is almost overpowered. Elspeth is a better card, the only real monkey wrench is that the opponent has a Bitterblossom out. The Tokens can block whatever I give flying to, but they can also just block Gideon. They can't block his tokens, but its not an empty board, I have several creatures out and a Grave Titan in hand.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 29, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gideon is definitely a better card than Elspeth unless you have a large creature that can be chumped/gangblocked easily.

E:

reminds me of pelakka wurm

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 29, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

little munchkin posted:

it's fine if you want to use it as a positive thing but if it's an excuse to get into twitter slapfights then lol get over yourself with this protecting the sanctity of hasbro's marketing campaign

It's less about the HoF and more about MaRo being an idiot.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Personally, I think the desert subtheme is well designed and I look forward to playing with them

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

Personally, I think the desert subtheme is well designed and I look forward to playing with them

You'll think that until you draft durdly deserts that come into play tapped and your opponents attack you with exert guys and afflict guys and the game is over by the time you do anything with deserts

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

Elspeth's ability works immediately if you have a creature and giving the target evasion is almost overpowered. Elspeth is a better card, the only real monkey wrench is that the opponent has a Bitterblossom out. The Tokens can block whatever I give flying to, but they can also just block Gideon. They can't block his tokens, but its not an empty board, I have several creatures out and a Grave Titan in hand.

Honestly he could have also been scared of Gideon's emblem, which isn't nothing, especially since you said you had a bunch of creatures out at the time.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

The Desert mechanics are the high point of design for this set, which is kind of sad.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'm not looking forward to drafting this set tbh and it's pretty anemic on constructed staples but by god am I making a Grixis control deck and playing Nichol Bolas.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm not looking forward to drafting this set tbh and it's pretty anemic on constructed staples but by god am I making a Grixis control deck and playing Nichol Bolas.

If the pre-order prices are any indication, people aren't very hyped for the set either.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Ditching blocks was probably the right move IMO. The most fun part of a set is the early-to-middle stages of its life-cycle and now we'll get to draft 3x new formats every 3 months.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

Unrelated, but I think that card has legitimately solid flavor text, which is a nice change

Besides the fact that they wrote paused and then had the vizier's quote have two additional pauses on top of it.

Whatever other failings this set has had, I've really enjoyed the flavor though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, the disaster movie thing feels good. I just wish it wasn't squirreled away in the small set.

I'm personally not too keen on the deserts. They feel like a surefire way to really gently caress over your mana for kinda marginal benefits.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Nice troll post

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

My new gimmick is going to be Relentlessly Positive MtG Poster because I'm pretty sure that no one's ever done it before

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

My new gimmick is going to be Relentlessly Positive MtG Poster because I'm pretty sure that no one's ever done it before

lol, this would be awesome

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

maybe if wizards of the coast would reprint calciform pools and give us a decent horned turtle

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Please don't stop. :shobon:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There was that one guy that kept posting about how all the revealed cards would go into different edh decks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the "this will go great in my meltabrod, the eternal rat king edh deck" meme was unfunny but only because he never really went to the proper lengths to come up with distressingly stupid decks. it was too low effort

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

the "this will go great in my meltabrod, the eternal rat king edh deck" meme was unfunny but only because he never really went to the proper lengths to come up with distressingly stupid decks. it was too low effort

The joke is super low ceiling.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

There was that one guy that kept posting about how all the revealed cards would go into different edh decks.

Yeah, all of the standard griping is really making my EDH blood sing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

rabidsquid posted:

maybe if wizards of the coast would reprint calciform pools and give us a decent horned turtle

What, is Dune Beetle not good enough for you???

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Some Numbers posted:

What, is Dune Beetle not good enough for you???

its too mana efficient and the wrong color. sea gate oracle didnt have enough toughness to be a horned turtle but it approaches peak horned turtle design

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Brian Gottlieb (I think I've heard about him before) is the new GAM co-host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nah, that's not new. MTGS has like forty thousand of those idiots. Also you can usually rely on the pros to fellate the new set as amazing in a desperate attempt to have wotc notice them.

But if you can make to do it with actual intelligence and articulated points, well, you may create the Perfect Troll. Sometimes I do that on mythicspoiler and watching people rage out about how X card is total poo poo and how can't you see it is pretty good.

Actually on that note I was shocked at how gloomy the Sigrist article that just went up is.