Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So it's just a super weak opening? I was wondering why so many games posters were raving over the series. I admit that I gave it about twenty minutes of game time to grab me and it didn't, but with so many goons praising the series I want to give it another shot.

So play in order if possible, check! I actually don't have a vita or psp. May have to just catch up via LP.
All of the first games in the Trails trilogies/duologies have to some degree some slow openings, and Cold Steel 1 is compounded by having a fairly generic initial premise if you were not already familiar with that world in general. At the very least yeah 20 minutes is nowhere near enough time to get to know any of these games, they are games known for their worldbuilding and that's not something built overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

corn in the bible posted:

How come Peace Walker had four legs

it has to do with the reptile pod making it look like a dinosaur and the mammal pod making it look like a four-legged mammal or something. and then they go back to bipedal for ZEKE

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's so much science in Metal Gear Solid.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i love metal gear so much...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sahelanthropus was cool

I wonder if Huey would be disappointed with Otacon's designs

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, Huey was a piece of poo poo, but Sahelanthropus was just about the most advanced metal gear in the franchise.

Edit: Oh right, it didn't actually work, and could only be puppeteered by Psycho Mantis

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i love metal gear so much...

Im planning on playing MGS1 in one sitting once I finish DMC. Which seems really short, I think im almost at the end already (mission 18).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I should probably play Peace Walker. I have it on 360 via HD collection.

Also, for a video game franchise, MGS has a really amazing collective sountrack. Even moreso if we count promotional material/trailers.

Even if we do the same for other games, I'm trying to think of a series that comes close...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

Im planning on playing MGS1 in one sitting once I finish DMC. Which seems really short, I think im almost at the end already (mission 18).

Snake, there's a Chinese proverb: The mind cannot be in two places at once. Make sure that you're not thinking of something else during the mission, okay?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snak posted:

I should probably play Peace Walker. I have it on 360 via HD collection.

Also, for a video game franchise, MGS has a really amazing collective sountrack. Even moreso if we count promotional material/trailers.

Even if we do the same for other games, I'm trying to think of a series that comes close...

If you can find someone to coop with it makes an already fun game x10 fun.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

my man

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how come advance wars had tanks and medium tanks but no large tanks

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
They skipped large in favor of orb and mega and WAR

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Are you familiar with the theory of the missing link between apes and humans? Well, this technology will be the missing link between infantry and artillery. A kind of metal gear, if you will."

A metal gear, yes

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they call them medium tanks because they channel spirits

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Nate RFB posted:

All of the first games in the Trails trilogies/duologies have to some degree some slow openings, and Cold Steel 1 is compounded by having a fairly generic initial premise if you were not already familiar with that world in general. At the very least yeah 20 minutes is nowhere near enough time to get to know any of these games, they are games known for their worldbuilding and that's not something built overnight.

I have to disagree a little in the last point. You can establish a compelling setting fairly quickly with some broad strokes and continue filling in the details as you go. Plenty of games do a good job of this through their visual design and writing.

But that actually isn't what didn't work for me, so slow paced world building isn't a deal breaker.

The Trails game I tried was one that seemed to begin with a military school simulated combat exercise gone wrong as another faction or nation launched an attack. I'm sorry to say that it's been long enough that I no longer remember names.

fake edit I found it on ps now: it was the first Trails of Cold Steel. If the combat and dialogue are better after the intro, I can give this another shot!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Trails of Cold Steel is not only well into a series of connected games, but it also starts in media res. As you never got past the intro I expect it's the latter in particular that threw you off.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh hahaha I completely forgot about how Cold Steel 1 starts with a dungeon that's a flashforward in the plot, I thought you were talking about the part immediately after that where they're just joining the school. God that intro feels like two lifetimes ago. Anyways that part is just a little clumsily handled in general, you were probably right to raise an eyebrow at it, I've somehow completely driven it from my memory despite loving those games a lot.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I also forget the bad parts of beloved games :shobon:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Advanced Warfare kicked rear end but I dont really like COD single player. BLOPSIII Co-Op was fun though and that story is pretty wild.

Yeah that's the one I'm doing right now and it's great. Do any others have good single player? The last one I played through was Black Ops 1, back in college

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

"Are you familiar with the theory of the missing link between apes and humans? Well, this technology will be the missing link between infantry and artillery. A kind of metal gear, if you will."

A metal gear, yes

is there a problem here officer

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

hi everyone here's a cat in a tank what's your favorite tank game

The alt path tank level in Star Fox 64 was pretty cool, I would've played a whole game of that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah that's the one I'm doing right now and it's great. Do any others have good single player? The last one I played through was Black Ops 1, back in college

I played COD4 and then didnt play any of them until they added lasers and jetpacks so ive only played AW and BLOPSIII. I wanna try IW campaign at some point but cod games take 8 years to drop below 20 bucks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

also Wild Arms 2 update: I tried again and beat it. Thanks to the power of friendship, I banished the original sin from Filgaia. We did it everyone

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

is there a problem here officer

I love the ten-minute tape that explains how it could be called Sahelanthropus years before the actual discovery of the fossils from which that name was derived.

Also thanks Google

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's basically the same explanation as to why none of the super advanced technology from.the MGS games had an effect on history: Hideo Kojima thought it was cool I was covered up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Samuringa posted:

What about Battletanx on the N64 where you would play Capture the Flag but instead of a flag it was a woman

or Shellshock, a PC game that I actually don't remember much right now except it was balls hard

Sakurazuka posted:

I remember a friend having the Saturn version of ShellShock which I definitely played but literally nothing else about it

Any relation to this?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/326460/ShellShock_Live/

Looks like a Scorch wannabe, which is never a bad thing as long as they don't gently caress it up. Anyone played it?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I played COD4 and then didnt play any of them until they added lasers and jetpacks so ive only played AW and BLOPSIII. I wanna try IW campaign at some point but cod games take 8 years to drop below 20 bucks

Is that still true I thought CoD/Battlefield etc went down in price pretty quickly these days since they can make money on season passes/the supply drop lootbox things

IW is like £13 on Amazon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They never get discounted on Steam, is what people are usually referring to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gemini heroes reborn is pretty fun, good game to have gotten for one dollar

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

McSpanky posted:

The alt path tank level in Star Fox 64 was pretty cool, I would've played a whole game of that.

It's way better than the underwater one but not by much...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey are the Bayonetta and Vanquish PC ports good?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes they are, I played through both of them and had no issues. Well there was the FPS thing in Vanquish but that got patched

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really wish MGS1 was easy to play on anything. I don't have good controllers for my ps2 anymore.

MGS1 is the one I've played the least. In fact, I don't think I've ever beat it. Which is hugely shameful since I'm such a giant fan of the series.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

also Wild Arms 2 update: I tried again and beat it. Thanks to the power of friendship, I banished the original sin from Filgaia. We did it everyone

Good work, gamer

Is WA2 good? I played the first one and the remake of the first one but never the others

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

wizard on a water slide posted:

Good work, gamer

Is WA2 good? I played the first one and the remake of the first one but never the others

2 is great tho its got the wonkiest localization of the lot. 3 is amazing and tied with the remake of 1 for my fave.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/notch/status/880517922870906880

holy poo poo lmfao

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

what on earth

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU