Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

And a fair bit of the commentary is done in studio from the states I believe

I think you're thinking of the World Cup. The NBC announcers are nearly all British so it wouldn't really make sense for them to be watching it in a studio in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

I think you're thinking of the World Cup. The NBC announcers are nearly all British so it wouldn't really make sense for them to be watching it in a studio in the US.

They do that for F1 though, but that's also through a Formula 1 controlled feed.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

They do though, their studio is in Stamford, CT.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Between this and Megyn Kelly, I feel like NBC is being sabotaged from the top.

30 Rock literally predicted this exact outcome

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

LeBatard show has been cutting into First Take for a few months now but yesterday's segment where they just listened to Stephen A scream about Phil Jackson was amazing radio.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

BWV posted:

LeBatard show has been cutting into First Take for a few months now but yesterday's segment where they just listened to Stephen A scream about Phil Jackson was amazing radio.

Will Cain calling out SAS for being overly emotional and getting steamrolled anyways was also fantastic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

James Brown has lost 74 pounds :stare:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Howie sounds like a real dick

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Howie sounds like a real dick

Yeah i'm hoping there was more context to it because I've largely heard Howie's a solid guy. Negative motivation is 100% A Thing among high-strung athletes though, and that could just have been old habits for Howie

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

DJExile posted:

Yeah i'm hoping there was more context to it because I've largely heard Howie's a solid guy. Negative motivation is 100% A Thing among high-strung athletes though, and that could just have been old habits for Howie

That's what it sounded like to me. They've worked together so long, I'm sure they know where the line is between motivation and dickishness.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fox Sports just fired Jamie Horowitz. :toot:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Fox Sports just fired Jamie Horowitz. :toot:

Much like all of his programming decisions, his genitals were just another idea of his that no one wanted to watch.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Oh. :staredog: Sexual harassment.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://awfulannouncing.com/fox/jamie-horowitz-fox-sports.html

They scrubbed his bio and everything pretty quickly

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

With how quickly they scrubbed everything this is going to be real bad. They didn't even bother with the bullshit "suspension".

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I feel like this might be why Katie Nolan has been kept off TV.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AsInHowe posted:

Holy poo poo.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dexo posted:

Holy poo poo.

"Several women, including prominent on-air personalities, have already been interviewed about their treatment at Fox Sports, according to two people familiar with the investigation."

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-fox-sports-jamie-horowitz-sex-harassment-20170703-story,amp.html

Name another prominent female on-air personality on FS1.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I mean, they'd probably interview every woman in direct contact with Horowitz to find out if anything had happened to them too, so does that one line really mean anything?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mean, they'd probably interview every woman in direct contact with Horowitz to find out if anything had happened to them too, so does that one line really mean anything?

I think it's more no one can think of any other prominent on air women other than her.

Either way it's really funny coming off of that awful announcing article

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

"Several women, including prominent on-air personalities, have already been interviewed about their treatment at Fox Sports, according to two people familiar with the investigation."

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-fox-sports-jamie-horowitz-sex-harassment-20170703-story,amp.html

Name another prominent female on-air personality on FS1.

Cowherd's co-host? The one that Lavar Ball went after.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Niwrad posted:

Cowherd's co-host? The one that Lavar Ball went after.

Does she get named in the show, or is she just a female co-host?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

AsInHowe posted:

Does she get named in the show, or is she just a female co-host?

She's more of a sidekick than a co-host.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

AsInHowe posted:

Nah. She's been filming pilot/test stuff. Doing test stuff that they were re-tooling for her this fall.

I wouldn't put it past horowitz but it would be more likely he's harassing a woman in LA than New york.

The on air personalities could easily be any of the NFL sideline reporters or someone like Kristen Leahy who co-hosts the herd.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

In before Erin Andrews steps forward...

Again :smith:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

iospace posted:

In before Erin Andrews steps forward...

Again :smith:

:smith:

Put Erin in charge of the network, put her golden retrievers in a controlling role as well.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/882062788755148803

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Molly McGrath and Julie Stewart-Binks left around the same time I think. I wouldn't be surprised to learn this had something to do with it but who knows.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
It's really funny to me that he has a lawyer who is threatening a lawsuit because they just shitcanned him out of the blue. Immediately after he just shitcanned a lot of people out of the blue.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Not exactly shocking news, since the NBA playoffs were largely rear end, but TNT's NBA playoff ratings were down 17% (ESPN's were down 9%) in total viewers.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DJExile posted:

Not exactly shocking news, since the NBA playoffs were largely rear end, but TNT's NBA playoff ratings were down 17% (ESPN's were down 9%) in total viewers.

when two teams sweep their way 12-0 to the finals for the first time in history, then the finals lasts 5 games instead of 7, total views go down because there are fewer games to watch.

total views is an odd metric to use

plus folks only really start tuning in during the conference finals

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ugh.

A dumb request. I'm a dumb nerd that likes looking at old sports clips/games...whatever the hell on youtube for enjoyment. To make a weird long story short, I was watching "Mr. Pickles" on Adult Swim last night, and in the episode ("Grandpa's Night Out" at 10:15 in http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x51cg5z_mr-pickles-grandpa-s-night-out-s01e07-mushihunter_tv ) they played an old song that USED to be featured in the NFL Today.

I used to remember someone had a clip of...I THINK the Vikings-Cowboys game in 75 where it showed all these people dressed up for some sort of brutal winter., and it was for the old "NFL Today". Anyone know where that clip is or (At the very least) what Sam Spence song this is? I know it has to be his work because I've heard it in old NFL Films before.

shot in the dark, but I thought I'd try here.

Also the old "NFL Today" owned.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Ugh.

A dumb request. I'm a dumb nerd that likes looking at old sports clips/games...whatever the hell on youtube for enjoyment. To make a weird long story short, I was watching "Mr. Pickles" on Adult Swim last night, and in the episode ("Grandpa's Night Out" at 10:15 in http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x51cg5z_mr-pickles-grandpa-s-night-out-s01e07-mushihunter_tv ) they played an old song that USED to be featured in the NFL Today.

I used to remember someone had a clip of...I THINK the Vikings-Cowboys game in 75 where it showed all these people dressed up for some sort of brutal winter., and it was for the old "NFL Today". Anyone know where that clip is or (At the very least) what Sam Spence song this is? I know it has to be his work because I've heard it in old NFL Films before.

shot in the dark, but I thought I'd try here.

Also the old "NFL Today" owned.

Ask the guys on the 506 forum. They live for questions like this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DJExile posted:

It seems like a stretch to blame the NBA for that, especially since they actually had a good year in the ratings.

Good rating aggregate Basically the conference Finals had some bomb games, but other than that the NBA is doing great right now, including things like the draft.

Other stories from other sources:

[url=http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sites/undefined/undefined/undefined/undefined/undefined/?q=cache:rZyWUKa6qDUJ:https://www.forbes.com]The NBA Finals set a 20 year high through the first two games[/url]

From the same website but different writer: NBA Playoffs may be bad, but ESPN/ABC’s viewership is up from last year. Article also mentions that TNT's ratings were up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah most of what I've seen in regards to ratings were that total ratings were down. Which is obvious when you don't have a ton of games playoff games because sweeps and 5 game series. Not to mention the total count boost when you have a game seven of the conference finals or the actual finals.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 6, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dexo posted:

Yeah most of what I've seen in regards to ratings were that total ratings were down. Which is obvious when you don't have a ton of games playoff games because sweeps and 5 game series. Not to mention the total count boost when you have a game seven of the conference finals or the actual finals.

I have a potential stupid hot take on how to solve the problems that the NBA is facing.

Either completely get rid of the cap MLB style or have a hard cap like the NFL. Both seem to grant a better success rate to smaller franchises than the current model the NBA is using.

I don't know, I'm biting my tongue as much as I can here because my bias towards the Cavaliers franchise is pretty massive (Along with my sheer loathing of Golden State), but it does feel a bit like the NBA is kinda broken right now. (I say this as someone who's franchise is clearly benefiting from the league being broken.)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Either completely get rid of the cap MLB style or have a hard cap like the NFL. Both seem to grant a better success rate to smaller franchises than the current model the NBA is using.
It's easier than that: get rid of the Maximum Salary rule that artificially caps what start can players can make, and thus allows "superteams" to be put together in the first place.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

It's easier than that: get rid of the Maximum Salary rule that artificially caps what start can players can make, and thus allows "superteams" to be put together in the first place.

When it's done in baseball, and a team like the Yankees/Red Sox swoops in at least I get this satisfaction of it:
"You know what? This sucks, but maybe our owner should have offered the guy more money. That's capitalism I guess. Back to the farm system."

I mean the risk exists for a team like the Lakers to abuse the system, but at least it's kinda upfront about it. I can't hate on a player that takes more money. Someone (a bulls fan) suggested a hard cap system that would ban teams from being able to sign players an MVP to their roster if they already had one on said roster and then using a kelly blue book system to kinda define a player's worth.

I think way would be preferable right now. The no cap wouldn't "smash" super teams per say, but it would allow players to be fairly compensated and for teams to not pull this poo poo. Lacob convincing Durant to take less so they can resign players (And for him to avoid paying an absurd luxory tax) is bullshit. Lacob should have to pay Durant his full worth if he wants to have him on the roster.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Remove all Caps, remove all exceptions, Remove RFA and team options on Rookie scale contracts.

Remove the Draft(that won't happen), but barring that at least make the final 2 years of rookie scale deals arbitration deals.

Keep the Lux Tax as is. However add a rule that allows you if you drafted the player(or acquire them in the first 2 years or something), you can cut *insert percentage here* of whatever you are paying that player off of the salary that counts towards the Luxury tax (I'd have to actually think more to figure out a fair number here)

Or maybe limit it to one player per team, if they were drafted or not. I dunno.

If you trade that player the team acquiring them has their number count fully towards the tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't think Golden State will be possible to recreate and doing something reactionary to "stop it from happening again" is like exactly what the owners want.