Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Landsknechtaur is a retired male Minotaur fighter managed by you.

This fighter participated in the 1052 Unofficial Test League tournament as a member of Strength++.

He has 5 points currently available to spend.

He has the following equipment.
Copper Spear
Copper Pike
Steel Cap
Steel Mail Shirt
Steel Gauntlets
Steel High Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 1 Fighting (Novice)
Level 11 Spear (Great)
Level 1 Wrestling (Novice)
Level 5 Dodging (Proficient)
Level 2 Armor (Adequate)
Level 6 Observing (Talented)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Big Guy, a retired male Yeti fighter.

This fighter participated in the 1052 Unofficial Test League tournament as a member of Strength++.

Bronze Two-Handed Sword
Iron Helm
Bronze Mail Shirt
Iron Breast Plate
Bronze Greaves
Bronze Gauntlets
Bronze Low Boots

Level 2 Limb Retention (Adequate)
Level 8 Bleeding (Expert)
Level 3 Match Fixing(Competent)
Level 1 IQ (Novice)
Level 8 Crawling (Expert)
Level 3 Killing (Competent)
Level 5 Pike Envy (Proficient)

(my plan for him was to see how useful a giant hunk of dull metal could be against armor, with the addition of armor damage/limb twisting. The answer is *waggles hand side to side indifferently*

getting him extra armor at the end made him able to tank really well, at least)

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 28, 2017

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I have no idea if this is possible or anything but my IDEAS MAN thought is it would be interesting if the Armor skill helped to mitigate limb twisting from taking hits on armor.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

quote:

Added Space, you are managing Cheap and Chippy Chopper, a retired male Dwarf fighter.

Iron Battleaxe
Iron Battleaxe
Iron Helm
Iron Mail Shirt
Iron Mail Shirt
Iron Mail Shirt
Iron Breast Plate
Iron Greaves
Iron Gauntlets
Iron High Boots

Level 5 Fighting (Proficient)
Level 12 Axe (Master)
Level 8 Dodging (Expert)
Level 5 Armor (Proficient)
Level 4 Observing (Skilled)

Cheap and Chippy Chopper has 7 points currently available to spend.

I already had that fighter named and mentally filed as an axedwarf. Anyone get the reference by chance?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
code:
Galick, you are managing Hoofvs McKenzie, a retired male Minotaur fighter.

This fighter participated in the 1052 Unofficial Test League tournament as a member of The Kool-Aid Men.

Platinum Maul
Oak Wood Shield
Iron Helm
Iron Mail Shirt
Iron Breast Plate
Iron Greaves
Iron Gauntlets
Iron High Boots

Level 4 Fighting (Skilled)
Level 10 Hammer (Accomplished)
Level 5 Shield (Proficient)
Level 1 Armor (Novice)
Level 3 Observing (Competent)

Hoofvs McKenzie has 2.3 points currently available to spend.
I wanted to see if the addition of a shield would help Hoofvs be knocked down/disarmed less towards the end. I was torn between that or updating his armor to mostly steel.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
code:
Jon Joe, you are managing Tao of Trolling, a retired male Troll fighter.

This fighter participated in the 1052 Unofficial Test League tournament as a member of 4chan circa 2006.

Steel Cap

Level 14 Wrestling (Grand Master)
Level 9 Biting (Professional)
Level 11 Dodging (Great)
Level 12 Observing (Master)

Tao of Trolling has 8.5 points currently available to spend.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Verbal Enema, you are managing PETER GRIFFIN, a retired male Gremlin fighter.

This fighter participated in the 1052 Unofficial Test League tournament as a member of TINY TITANS.

Silver Whip
Leather Cap
Copper Mail Shirt

Level 10 Fighting (Accomplished)
Level 8 Lash (Expert)
Level 3 Dodging (Competent)
Level 5 Armor (Proficient)
Level 1 Observing (Novice)

PETER GRIFFIN has 8.75 points currently available to spend.

I uhh am not sure what i wanted

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Fighting is not a very good skill, to have a lot of.

AFAIK what it does, beyond adding some general bonuses to combat competence, is give you opportunity strikes; attacks have two factors, their chance to hit, and their "squareness", as in, how much of what youre aiming at youre going to be hitting. An opportunity strike always has maximum accuracy and maximum squareness, so its theoretically super good!

But! The! Catch! Is that DF is stupid as gently caress and so is its AI. Because you don't just get opportunity strikes with your weapons best attack, or even your weapon. And you don't always get opportunity strikes against good targets; a lot of the DF target list is full of dumb rear end poo poo like "Left Cheek", and attacking them does jackshit, because you can jam a pike into someone's Right Eyelid and hit nothing else, because DF is insane. And its even dumber when your expert lasher is wasting turns kicking people in their Third Toe, Left Foot, when they should be spending time actually hitting them, with a weapon. Or a lash.

THEN AGAIN, having the stars suddenly align and having your fighter suddenly decapitate a dude out of nowhere is pretty funny and can turn around a match. So, a few points are okay, but not so much that your fighter is spending the entire round biting noses.

Also, you only need a few points in armor, generally. Big Guy had almost the most crazy heavy gear and only had five points in armor.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Tunicate, you are managing The Official UN Observer, a retired male Human fighter.

This fighter participated in the 1052 Unofficial Test League tournament as a member of Insecurities Council.

Copper Pike
Iron Cap
Iron Mail Shirt

Level 4 Fighting (Skilled)
Level 7 Spear (Adept)
Level 1 Armor (Novice)
Level 14 Observing (Grand Master)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Are there any suggestions for rebalancing things before the next tournament?

It looks like the smallest fighters are still having a really difficult time; should they get even more points, or should they get a little boost to their physical size, or should we all just accept that it's part of the challenge of choosing a little guy?

Any other rebalancing suggestions (particularly from DF experts such as my dad, jon joe, and Vox Nihili) are also welcome.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I don't know how, but pikes being able to simultaneously pierce armor and take off limbs needs to be fixed. It's completely absurd.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
From what I've seen, it takes a lot more injuries for creatures to faint from pain. Have you been using the new version's default parameters, or the reduced pain version we used for previous tournaments?

Small guys have been used suboptimally this round, so I'm not sure they actually need a buff.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

From what I've seen, it takes a lot more injuries for creatures to faint from pain. Have you been using the new version's default parameters, or the reduced pain version we used for previous tournaments?

I imported the reduced pain modifications from the previous tournaments. Maybe we could roll the changes back -- not all the way, but maybe halfway -- and see how that plays out?

Added Space posted:

I don't know how, but pikes being able to simultaneously pierce armor and take off limbs needs to be fixed. It's completely absurd.

I think I'll make pikes more expensive to buy than spears at least. Pikes do have a fairly significant drawback with their slower weapon speed.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 30, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I imported the reduced pain modifications from the previous tournaments. Maybe we could roll the changes back -- not all the way, but maybe halfway -- and see how that plays out?

Roll them back to the version's default, it'll be easier to see how much the underlying mechanics changed.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I think I'll make pikes more expensive to buy than spears at least. Pikes do have a fairly significant drawback with their slower weapon speed.

I'd make them the same price, perhaps.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'd be intrigued at what big guys with whips/scourges could manage. I'll probably run one if there's another test.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Let people spend points to field an extra fighter. But make it cost so much that only the little guys can afford it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hm... How about both fighters getting their racial allowance minus 700 per round? It would strike even with kobolds, and in theory isn't completely impossible for a yeti, though there's not much you can do with 50 points per round.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Mystery boxes could even out the races

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Why not just divide it by two for everyone?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Why not just divide it by two for everyone?

Because you really don't want to let me play with a pair of 375 point yetis.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm sure it'd be fine.

I think they'd lose to an equally competently built 750 point yeti, tbh. A little gap in ability is enough to make an equal fight into a blowout, not to mention having to deal with the flat costs to equipment becoming even more horrible to build around.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hehehehe

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i mean the fact you'd give one a pike and make one grabby won't save them from a more more formidable pike wielding yeti stabs off their arms

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hehehehe

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

He'll make one male and one female and this breeding pair will immediately produce an entire society of arena yetis and then what will you do

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You really do not want two yeti pair.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

We should just buy gladiators by the pound. Trade in your yeti for his weight in gremlins

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

MyDad knows his stuff.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Tunicate posted:

We should just buy gladiators by the pound. Trade in your yeti for his weight in gremlins

Everyone starts off with a single piece of slade. We get one of those comically oversized scales that Monty Python used to see if the witch weighed more than the duck and we go from there.

Bets could be in slade bux, use them to buy heavier gladiators.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I feel like PETER GRIFFIN may have faired better as a not gremlin.

I should have made him a fist fighter since well the giant chicken fights and whatnot

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Are there any suggestions for rebalancing things before the next tournament?

It looks like the smallest fighters are still having a really difficult time; should they get even more points, or should they get a little boost to their physical size, or should we all just accept that it's part of the challenge of choosing a little guy?

Any other rebalancing suggestions (particularly from DF experts such as my dad, jon joe, and Vox Nihili) are also welcome.

Small fighters need some big buffs. Armor probably also needs help in the bendable joint era.

I can do a deeper dive Monday/Thursday. Grilling today, camping Tuesday-Wednesday.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh my god this game takes forever. Lose an army once is bad. Lose it 3x in a row because of those drat horse archers and the fact their guys can move at the speed of light... ugh what a waste of a few hours.

But I have Swadia on the ropes, KK done as soon as I find their last stupid army of 9 men.

12 armies stand between me and a new DF tournament.

Added Space, Fat Munki, and Jon Joe as commish will be great.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
in the future, we will all be commishes, we'll be free to run our own battles, free to do our own write ups, or write nothing as we please

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the ol mount and blade strikes again

you will play it for 10000 hours regardless lmao that drat game

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tiler Kiwi posted:

in the future, we will all be commishes, we'll be free to run our own battles, free to do our own write ups, or write nothing as we please

we could finally have the hardcore league

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

verbal enema posted:

the ol mount and blade strikes again

you will play it for 10000 hours regardless lmao that drat game

Huscarls are straight up cheating. They march through anything not giving a gently caress. I am the only Vaegir with 75 Huscarls as my seiging army.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Wahoo victory. gently caress you Sanjar Khan or whatever your name is.

Ready for a new season of arena. Warblade doesn't run so hot on my oldass PC so we are safe for a while. Can't stand battles less than 200... they don't seem real enough for Titty The Tittysmasher.

Names aren't my strong suit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Names aren't my strong suit.

Arena fighters, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And sex. My hand always falls asleep from boredom.