Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Pander posted:

"managing to not be a complete chode to people* is not an affirmative reason to vote someone in as president, what is wrong with you?

Being presidential, having the fitness and demeanor to be president, is absolutely an affirmative reason to vote someone in as president. What is wrong with YOU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm sorry that advertisement contradicts the narrative that Hillary Clinton never gave any affirmative reasons to vote for her during the election, but it does.

That "affirmative reason" being "vote for me, I'm not the other guy."

Strong case you've got there, JC.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cochise posted:

That's pretty much his life nowadays. Just bitches about dumb poo poo on Twitter and complains about how lonely his life has become.

Can you imagine getting a billion dollars and still being so unhappy you just start dumb fights on twitter all day?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

JeffersonClay posted:

Being presidential, having the fitness and demeanor to be president, is absolutely an affirmative reason to vote someone in as president. What is wrong with YOU?
I'm not going down this oh-so-familiar road any further than to let you, Bobby Mook, know that you personally suck at everything and should stop talking ever.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

JeffersonClay posted:

Pander posted:

"managing to not be a complete chode to people* is not an affirmative reason to vote someone in as president, what is wrong with you?

please consider taking this debate elsewhere, we've all heard it before and nobody will be convinced
e: thanks

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

business hammocks posted:

Can you imagine getting a billion dollars and still being so unhappy you just start dumb fights on twitter all day?

Notch 2020?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So basically, this is proof that the GOP was working with the Russians to try and influence the election, correct?

Is this not treason? This seems kinda huge, but I don't see people freaking out. Freak out more!

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
"The illusion there is a divide" the man says, a matter of days after the second anniversary of Obergefell.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

namaste faggots posted:

Help me understand how a politician goes to bed at night thinking that suppressing voters is a legitimate political tactic.

they assume the other side is doing it too and they're just making things 'fair'

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Serfer posted:

Never read mcmagic I know, but he literally called for Russians to hack Hillary DURING THE DEBATE ON LIVE TELEVISION

The GOP have basically already signaled they'd look the other way with all their "so what if he DID collude?" last week.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

oops. nm

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Sure, but it also involves me also imagining I'm more clever and important than I really am.

Pollyanna posted:

Is this not treason? This seems kinda huge, but I don't see people freaking out. Freak out more!

the technical definition of trererarararrjenananaahggggkkkkkkk ak ak. besides, is collusion really that criminal? really? really? is it really? reeeeaaallllllly?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Pollyanna posted:

So basically, this is proof that the GOP was working with the Russians to try and influence the election, correct?

Look at the last time a geriatric old Republican President got charged with treason and a General took the fall for him. History repeats itself.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Is this not treason?
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.
so, no.

obviously, though, if it is verified it raises some interesting questions - if the campaign was in no way involved in the hack itself (and there is no evidence I've seen indicating that they were), is it a crime to try to benefit from the hack once it's happened?

for fairly obvious reasons that's not a question the president's campaign wants to have to answer

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Literally a story with a direct link between trump's campaign and russia came out, don't get distracted to talk about dumb videogame man.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Look at the last time a geriatric old Republican President got charged with treason and a General took the fall for him. History repeats itself.

I would think that maybe 2% of republican voters will flip if it turns out the entire party is conspiring to help Russia affect the elections. It's not putting all of them in jail like a sane country would but it might be close enough.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I would think that maybe 2% of republican voters will flip if it turns out the entire party is conspiring to help Russia affect the elections. It's not putting all of them in jail like a sane country would but it might be close enough.

The pivot has already started though. It's "Oh I barely even watch the news anymore, it's all so negative" and "well no poo poo, all politicians are rear end we've always said this"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Was his name Bleth Brich?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Flynn gonna be the first one on us soil to get some polonium soup or have a piano-falling-off-the-roof accident.

I think you'll find Vince Foster died in the 90s. :colbert:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Watch to the end when he tries to steer the loving narrative even further, saying that he saw a cameraman refuse to film him speaking out against "fake news". Jesus loving Christ he's going to get someone killed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

to be fair he was 81 so its a little less suspicious

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Literally a story with a direct link between trump's campaign and russia came out, don't get distracted to talk about dumb videogame man.

A friend on Facebook who feels incredibly slighted that the Democrats stole the nomination from Bernie is utterly convinced that accusing Russia of any kind of meddling in our elections is modern-day McCarthyism, because you see making accusations without evidence is what McCarthy did. Like, I dunno dude, how much more evidence of this poo poo do we need before this becomes impossible to ignore?

Probably none will do, because he has an irrational hatred for Hillary Clinton and it seems anything that shows she should have won the presidency makes him foam at the mouth.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/LarrySabato/status/880516753155014665

I feel like this list could use a few more numbers.

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/880539085844213760

So, uh, that's a conspiracy charge on its own right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I honestly can't wait until Notch hangs himself. Dude's life is a total train wreck and despite being a billionaire is a miserable loner. (I wonder why)

The guy seems possibly properly depressed. Don't say that. I don't feel too much sympathy for him, but I know how destructive that sort of thing can be, manifested in different ways, especially when there's a bad influence.

I do think he's an idiot.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

https://twitter.com/notch/status/880517922870906880

He followed this up with "(by a photographer)" followed by "((with a gun))"
Goddamn but he is skeezy. Maybe he'll take his billions and make a dreamworld utopian community filled with other neckbeards, like a Richard Spencer version of Celebration, FL.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I appreciate the fact that these chucklefucks commit treason in the same manner that I order office supplies.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I mean, I hate to go along with Trump's own self-mythologizing, but Jackson sure loved to publicly display his grudges. Grant's fondness for the bottle and depressive tendencies might have led him to some dark nights with Twitter, too.

I know this is from ten pages ago but you don't have direct messaging- just FYI for everyone here Grant wasn't a drunk, and no subordinates back up the claim. It was a rumor spread by some higher ups in the beginning of the civil war to detract from what a better job he did than them winning battles, and then got tied into lost cause mythology.

E: if anyone would like to learn more, please read Mighty Scourge by McPherson.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Pollyanna posted:

It's pretty big.

However Treason is the only crime that's specifically detailed by the constitution. It's pretty rare and even the people caught spying during the Cold War didn't get charged with it.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it. You can still be turbofucked by the law without it.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I appreciate the fact that these chucklefucks commit treason in the same manner that I order office supplies.
Why do you cackle with glee and whisper "oh the suffering of those peasants will be delicious" when you order office supplies?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Robot Hobo posted:

Why do you cackle with glee and whisper "oh the suffering of those peasants will be delicious" when you order office supplies?

You... You mean you don't?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yawgmoft posted:

I know this is from ten pages ago but you don't have direct messaging- just FYI for everyone here Grant wasn't a drunk, and no subordinates back up the claim. It was a rumor spread by some higher ups in the beginning of the civil war to detract from what a better job he did than them winning battles, and then got tied into lost cause mythology.

Are you saying the Animaniacs lied to me? :colbert:

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think it's about 50/50 that we are going to find out that Russian interference in the election didn't originate in Moscow but with the Trump campaign itself.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yawgmoft posted:

grant was an alcoholic but he was largely functional and his drinking was mostly a response to being bored and away from his family. his drinking was totally exaggerated by unkind rumors and military politics but it wasn't a fabrication, he did have a drinking problem

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Simplex posted:

I think it's about 50/50 that we are going to find out that Russian interference in the election didn't originate in Moscow but with the Trump campaign itself.

I can see this happening. Trump would never allow himself to lose at anything, so he probably planned to cheat from the start, just in case.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, we already know the GOP doesn't give a poo poo about the Russia collusion so its hard to really care. Its just another thing to throw onto the overwhelming mountain of evidence that Trump is a Russian stooge. But so long as the GOP controls congress they won't do a drat thing about it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Zophar posted:

I can see this happening. Trump would never allow himself to lose at anything, so he probably planned to cheat from the start, just in case.

The way he projects, yeah, I could see that. He wouldn't shut up about the election being rigged before it happened.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think someone better take Johnny's quill away...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/CoreyCiorciari/status/880549473667227649

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

Are you saying the Animaniacs lied to me? :colbert:

Don't meet your heroes. Do you remember that short lived cartoon that was supposed to teach kids about history? Woof.

boner confessor posted:

grant was an alcoholic but he was largely functional and his drinking was mostly a response to being bored and away from his family. his drinking was totally exaggerated by unkind rumors and military politics but it wasn't a fabrication, he did have a drinking problem

You better go tell McPherson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Pollyanna posted:

It probably isn't treason, if only because the legal argument that Russia is an "enemy" is difficult to make without a state of war existing. Even if arguably them tampering with the election could be construed as close to an act of war, I don't think that's enough for it to count.

Soliciting foreign hackers to try to obtain correspondence of a former government official is almost certainly under the umbrella of espionage, though. Not to mention conspiracy charges in relation to soliciting the commission of a crime. There's plenty of other potential charges from this act alone as well, depending on the details.

Flynn's hosed if this is true, in other words. And there's only one way to save himself.

• Locked thread