Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Probottt posted:

Are Final Fantasy 5 and 6 worth getting on Steam? I've got a hankering to play 5 and I would love to play 6 but I've also heard that the Steam versions of both are kind of hit-or-miss.
Just play the roms, it's legal as long as you delete them within 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know anything about the ff5 or 6 ports except they are as ugly as sin

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone recommend me a decent train simulator as someone with a curiosity for the genre? I have transport tycoon already but haven't booted it up.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I just noticed that Stephen's Sausage Roll is currently discounted down to $7.49 (75% off) on Steam. This is far and away the cheapest it's ever been as far as I can recall and it's really worth it if you like puzzle games. It's a very tough game, but it never tries to trick you by giving you unnecessary puzzle pieces and it grows mostly by gradually revealing new ways to interact with existing objects rather than by constantly tossing in new types of objects. It also takes something like 30+ hours to finish so you're getting quantity along with quality.

Here's the Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/353540/Stephens_Sausage_Roll/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

-Blackadder- posted:

What do you guys recommend as far as first person turn based RPG Dungeon Crawlers that might flown under the radar, I'm basically talking about stuff like the Wizardy series, Might & Magic X - Legacy, StarCrawlers, Elminage Gothic etc. I played Legend of GrimrockI &II, also.

If you're up for a jank and weird systems, I am really digging Operation Abyss. It's a remake of an indie Wizardry knock-off, a psp port, and really compelling to me? I like its SMT-esque urban fantasy/horror, I like its weird class system, I love completing maps the hard way.

I hear it gets grindy but as I play it windowed with a podcast I don't think I'll mind.

The company behind it also made a sequel and Stranger of Sword City but I haven't tried those!

e: Okay, back at my laptop: Operation Abyss has these flaws: you can't target your enemies, there's a lot of fluff monsters, the mechanics with items are weird and poorly explained, it's definitely a PSP port (I remapped the keys) and it's got that old-school dungeon design with spinny tiles, teleporters, dark rooms, one-way doors and worse. Also the plot so far is "you're a team of magic high-schoolers investigating generic evil, working with the cops" and it's okay but not mind-blowing.

That said: I love the urban setup, monster designs are fun, and it's everything I wanted - keep in mind that I love Shin Megami Tensei I+II so much I beat II back in the day. And Strange Journey.

So this is a tentative rec - you have to be in a very specific niche to love this game.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 30, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I haven't seen anyone recommend Nexus The Jupiter Incident yet so I'm going to go ahead and do it. If you haven't heard of it, it's a wonderful 3d tactical space combat strategy game with an absolutely bonkers plot and some unfortunate level designs marring what is otherwise a fantastic fleet commander experience.

e: there's also active work being done on it for some reason so as of a year ago it has support for UI scaling and modern resolutions. It has that classic trait of space games like Freespace 2 and Independence War 2 of still looking absolutely amazing even many years on.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Has anyone played Gate of Firmament? It showed up in my Discovery queue a while back and I do like fantasy wuxia stuff... At a glance I was hoping it was like a modern Jade Empire.

Also just a reminder I still have some games I'm giving away:

2 copies of Portal
Mercenary Kings
King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame

http://steamcommunity.com/id/celebrity-ghost/

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

-Blackadder- posted:

What do you guys recommend as far as first person turn based RPG Dungeon Crawlers that might flown under the radar, I'm basically talking about stuff like the Wizardy series, Might & Magic X - Legacy, StarCrawlers, Elminage Gothic etc. I played Legend of GrimrockI &II, also.

is etrian odyssey on pc yet

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

He said he wanted a reason not to buy it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

-Blackadder- posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/428880/The_Quest/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/263560/Paper_Sorcerer/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/71161/Shining_in_the_Darkness/

While not completely 1st person view, you'll get 100hrs out of this one:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/296570/Lords_of_Xulima/

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

falcon puunch!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you're up for a jank and weird systems, I am really digging Operation Abyss. It's a remake of an indie Wizardry knock-off, a psp port, and really compelling to me? I like its SMT-esque urban fantasy/horror, I like its weird class system, I love completing maps the hard way.

I hear it gets grindy but as I play it windowed with a podcast I don't think I'll mind.

The company behind it also made a sequel and Stranger of Sword City but I haven't tried those!

e: Okay, back at my laptop: Operation Abyss has these flaws: you can't target your enemies, there's a lot of fluff monsters, the mechanics with items are weird and poorly explained, it's definitely a PSP port (I remapped the keys) and it's got that old-school dungeon design with spinny tiles, teleporters, dark rooms, one-way doors and worse. Also the plot so far is "you're a team of magic high-schoolers investigating generic evil, working with the cops" and it's okay but not mind-blowing.

That said: I love the urban setup, monster designs are fun, and it's everything I wanted - keep in mind that I love Shin Megami Tensei I+II so much I beat II back in the day. And Strange Journey.

So this is a tentative rec - you have to be in a very specific niche to love this game.

Thanks for these, I already have a few of them, but the others are going on my wish list. And Lords of Xulima, I'll be picking up this sale.

Two unrelated questions....

1. is that Sherlock vs Cthulhu game (The Awakened or something) a good Lovecraftian horror game?

2. Goon opinions on The Talos Principle?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 30, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

Started up Creepy Castle and in the first ten minutes I found a note from a resident bitching that their apartment has running water, which could let someone sneak in at night and turn it on to drown them.
Creepy Castle was one of my top games of 2016 and I loved the inhabitants of the world

also the tutorial sheets you find that describe just basic living

Rain World is adding difficulties:

quote:

In addition to our classic slugcat protagonist, this expansion will feature 2 new playable slugcats, each with their own unique ecosystem and playstyle.

Yellow / "The Monk" - For players who are looking for a more peaceful experience in Rain World, we present a player character that is more at peace with nature. Creatures will be less aggressive toward this slugcat, and are easier to befriend.

Similarly, its reputation within the world ecosystem will regenerate quicker if conflicts do arise. Ascetic in lifestyle, the monk requires less food to survive but is also physically weaker, meaning that spears and rocks are less viable as weapons. Sensing its balance with nature, the Karma gates bordering regions stay open for this saintlike being.

Pink / "The Hunter" - For players who are looking for an even more challenging experience than the well-known brutality of Rain World, we present this carnivorous and aggressive path. The hunter must make predators into prey, killing and eating larger creatures such as lizards to survive! Its heightened metabolism makes it faster, stronger and more dangerous, but also means that it requires significantly more food to survive hibernation.

As a necessity of its lifestyle, it has learned to carry extra spears on its back like the scavengers do. It is a being pushing beyond the confines of its place in the ecosystem, and thus is karmically imbalanced in this world... shunned by the spiritual realm, no karma flowers spawn and it must find its own way.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Meridian posted:

Anyone got words on Space Rangers HD?

I really like this game but it's probably not for everyone. It has a bunch of "minigame" mechanics, like an rts and text adventures built into it. You can purposely tell the game not to offer you these if you dont want to play them (most people turn off the rts game). Otherwise, you're free to do whatever you want. Be a space trader, be a space rear end in a top hat, or save the galaxy. From what i remember, the "threat" to the galaxy in the game will grow and shrink on its own and can be defeated by ai rangers even if the player does nothing to combat it. Its cheap, so if this sounds interesting at all I'd say try it out.

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!
So, picked up Subnautica, and while it has a number of things going for it—the physics, a better UI than most similar games, and the way it captures constant feeling of danger underwater—I'm about an hour and a half in and finding it really grindy. Just a long cycle of 30-second dives and resurfaces to gather mundane resources to make very basic stuff. I glanced at the wiki at it seems like I'm still hours away from being able to build anything substantial. Is it worth sticking with if it's not grabbing me so far?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Probottt posted:

Are Final Fantasy 5 and 6 worth getting on Steam? I've got a hankering to play 5 and I would love to play 6 but I've also heard that the Steam versions of both are kind of hit-or-miss.
The GBA version of FF6 is the best version.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 2, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

-Blackadder- posted:

2. Goon opinions on The Talos Principle?

It's one of the best gaming experiences I've had the pleasure of having. Get it.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 30, 2017

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Blues Hammer posted:

So, picked up Subnautica, and while it has a number of things going for it—the physics, a better UI than most similar games, and the way it captures constant feeling of danger underwater—I'm about an hour and a half in and finding it really grindy. Just a long cycle of 30-second dives and resurfaces to gather mundane resources to make very basic stuff. I glanced at the wiki at it seems like I'm still hours away from being able to build anything substantial. Is it worth sticking with if it's not grabbing me so far?

Just beeline for the water scooter thing and things will improve vastly. Also make sure you're going to all the nearby distress signals.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Blues Hammer posted:

I actually found Subnautica surprisingly non-grindy. Resources were plentiful and I seemed to get most of what I needed just incidentally while exploring, though I tend to be a bit obsessive about grabbing stuff. I play a lot of modded minecraft so my standards may be different.

Someday I'll work up the courage to go back to that game. But there are things down there in the deep.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Looking for opinions on a few more horror games....

Pathologic Classic HD
DreadOut
Slender: The Arrival
Monstrum
Oxenfree
Nation Red

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Oxenfree isn't really what I'd call a horror game. It's suspenseful and has supernatural elements but it isn't particularly scary.

That said it's pretty good. Somewhere between a walking simulator and an adventure game.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
I'm on the fence about getting Thumper. Are there any reasons to avoid it? I'm a huge Brian Gibson fan so I'm already used to his style of "rhythm".

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

-Blackadder- posted:

I would recommend Operation Abyss but the previous version/Generation Xth trilogy has much better/consistent artwork, if you care about that sort of thing.

There might be something in this group that catches your eye. Heroes of a Broken Land does some interesting Xulima/HoMM type things.

You could also hold out for the upcoming Grimoire, one man's fever dream ~20 years in the making. It's Wizardry 7 turned to 11, then the knob spins rapidly until it folds space-time.

Did you beat Wizardry 6-7-8 on the same savefile? You should definitely do that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Sacred Cow posted:

I'm on the fence about getting Thumper. Are there any reasons to avoid it? I'm a huge Brian Gibson fan so I'm already used to his style of "rhythm".

It takes a while to get challenging but it's a blast once it does. Also, if you have VR it's suppose to be pretty great on that.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 30, 2017

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

-Blackadder- posted:

Looking for opinions on a few more horror games....

[b]Pathologic Classic HD

Pathologic is unique. It's probably the game that comes closest to having the gameplay match the story of any game I have ever played. The simultaneous bleak but exotic setting, the harsh challenge of the environment and the mechanics of managing food, disease, and inventory all combine to create this affect that I could acutely feel as I played.

Unfortunately, this affect is one of crushing oppression. It is a brutal ordeal of a game to play through, and finishing is a relief.

It is not a game I can recommend someone play and enjoy. But it is a game that I recommend you experience.

Notes if you do play it--the original Russian translation is overall quite poo poo. I bumbled my way through the best-translated storyline, the Bachelor, and still loved it. I am told that the rereleased version has a new script that fixes a lot of what was lost in translation for the other two storylines, the Haruspex and the Devotress/Impostress/Changeling (name has changed throughout translation). I would still recommend starting with the Bachelor as the story and mechanics are probably the most straightforward. Alternatively, Ice Pick Lodge is working on a new version that was Kickstarted not long ago, but I cannot recommend waiting for it without knowing what the final product will look like.

edit: RPS had an article series explaining just how unique the game is that I would encourage anyone with interest in the game to read:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/04/10/butchering-pathologic-part-1-the-body/

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 30, 2017

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
My cart so far consists of

Hollow Knight
Broforce
Transistor

I was gifted Brothers, Undertale, and Guacamelee.

I can add one more game, which should it be out of the following:

Valiant Hearts
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Darkest Dungeon
The Talos Principle
Salt & Sanctuary

Any suggestions?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anti-Hero posted:

Hollow Knight
Broforce
Transistor

Valiant Hearts
Darkest Dungeon
The Talos Principle
Salt & Sanctuary

Any suggestions?

Assuming you like puzzles and thought provoking sci-fi stories, Talos Principle is the best thing on that list.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, those are all different genres. So I would just prioritize the genre I enjoyed the most. FPS in Western setting? 2D Metroidvania? First Person Puzzler? 2D Turn-based Gothic RPG etc.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Assuming you like puzzles and thought provoking sci-fi stories, Talos Principle is the best thing on that list.

I absolutely adored SOMA which I played recently.

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, those are all different genres. So I would just prioritize the genre I enjoyed the most. FPS in Western setting? 2D Metroidvania? First Person Puzzler? 2D Turn-based Gothic RPG etc.

Yeah, I recognize it's all over the place. I think I'm covered on 2D Metroidvania as I have Hollow Knight and Guacamelee, so we can scratch S&S right off.

I think Brothers has me covered on tear jerkers, so buy-bye Valiant Hearts (I swear I'll get it next sale, it's been on my wishlist for 3 years now).

I posted about DD earlier in the thread and I'm still worried about it being too stressful, so that's probably a sign to dump it.

Call of Juarez was a late addition. Leaning towards Talos Principle now...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The answer is always Gunslinger.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Anti-Hero posted:

The Talos Principle

Any suggestions?
Buy both of these 2

I don't care how much dicks you have to suck or possesions to sell, or delaying this rent this month, make it happen!!

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 30, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Anti-Hero posted:

Hollow Knight
Broforce
Transistor

Valiant Hearts
Darkest Dungeon
The Talos Principle
Salt & Sanctuary

Any suggestions?

I like Gunslinger and Darkest Dungeon, but the Talos Principle (especially with the DLC) is great and would be my choice.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Okay so I'm on board with Dark Souls.. what should I buy?

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 2 Season Pass

That will probably keep me busy enough until winter sale so I can pick up Dark Souls 3. But would that get me everything?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Polish posted:

Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 2 Season Pass

That will probably keep me busy enough until winter sale so I can pick up Dark Souls 3. But would that get me everything?

I'd suggest buying the Humble Monthly for DS2. Basically same price and you'll get some other good stuff with it.

also make sure to get the dsfix mod for ds1 so you can run it at normal resolutions and stuff.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Polish posted:

Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 2 Season Pass

Buy a PS4 and get Bloodborne

That was a really serious answer, bloodborne is so good. but uh I liked Dark Souls 2 the most and it's only $12... also lol DS1 isn't on sale :darksouls:

e: the above guy is correct. get Humble Monthly Bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xaris posted:

Buy both of these 2

I don't care how much dicks you have to suck or possesions to sell, or delaying this rent this month, make it happen!!

This.

Polish posted:

Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 2 Season Pass

I'd just go with Prepare to Die for now, that should keep you busy for a good long while. If you really need 2, don't get 2+season pass, get Scholar of the First Sin (which is early unlock on the humble bundle for $12, incidentally) which is the 'enhanced/redux' edition with all DLC included and some other changes.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Polish posted:

Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 2 Season Pass

Don't buy DS2 and the Season Pass. Combined they are $22, and Scholar of the First Sin is the same thing but updated for $12.

Realize DS1 and DS3 are pretty connected, DS2 is a very different. I prefer DS2, but it's quite a bit different in it's design then DS1/3. Lot's of us actually don't like DS3 that much. DS1 and 3 have Estus Flasks which are health potions that refill. 2 has Life Gems you find that heal slooooow, and eventually you build Estus Flasks. 1/3 are also a slightly more coherent world, 2 is a bit more gamey. But a lot of that gameyness works in it's favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Will the humble bundle get all the expansions?

And I'm not getting a PS4 until God of War comes out.

e: Okay I'll just get the Humble Bundle and curse a lot when I die.

• Locked thread