Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

PirateBob posted:

His special power is to find space, space invisible to the non-Raumdeuter, and spread into it like a plume of smoke, or a form of insidious footballing dry rot. This is what he produced against Juventus, a frictionless occupation by stealth, always moving – if not moving that much – in search of the single most vital commodity in elite modern football: space, the final and, in fact, pretty much only, frontier. The fact that Müller coined this term himself in a newspaper interview makes it even better. He's sidled in there, that sneaky Raumdeuter. He's found a niche and filled it with himself, no mean feat for a man who doesn't really look like a footballer at all but instead has an endearingly amateurish air, tousle‑haired and skinny-legged, like a junior doctor on a fun run.

The rightest thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

PirateBob posted:

His special power is to find space, space invisible to the non-Raumdeuter, and spread into it like a plume of smoke, or a form of insidious footballing dry rot. This is what he produced against Juventus, a frictionless occupation by stealth, always moving – if not moving that much – in search of the single most vital commodity in elite modern football: space, the final and, in fact, pretty much only, frontier. The fact that Müller coined this term himself in a newspaper interview makes it even better. He's sidled in there, that sneaky Raumdeuter. He's found a niche and filled it with himself, no mean feat for a man who doesn't really look like a footballer at all but instead has an endearingly amateurish air, tousle‑haired and skinny-legged, like a junior doctor on a fun run.

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PirateBob posted:

god drat

GG rename me a form of insidious footballing dry rot

or better yet The Ray Parlour: a form of insidious footballing dry rot

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
The real difference is that Müller's special, self-coined quality relates not to the concussive, oppositional aspects of football, but to a third-party element: air, space, the absence of people. And perhaps, as the football pitch shrinks and its mysteries are stretched thin by a shared athleticism, space really is all that is left: the Raumdeuter's sniffing out of wormholes and shortcuts, those tiny pockets of unspent possibility. Of course, some will see nothing exceptional in what Müller does, or at least nothing that can't be explained by conventional means. He is a wonderful close-range finisher. He moves intelligently and passes with his head up. Perhaps there is no need to attribute any qualities beyond those that are visible, no need to buy into the fable of the player who sees not just the planets but the dark matter in between. Perhaps the space investigator really is nothing more than another conjurer's trick, a dream of something more. Perhaps the truth is simply somewhere in between. But I, for one, definitely want to believe.

Barney Ronay, ladies and gentlemen.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

PirateBob posted:

The real difference is that Müller's special, self-coined quality relates not to the concussive, oppositional aspects of football, but to a third-party element: air, space, the absence of people. And perhaps, as the football pitch shrinks and its mysteries are stretched thin by a shared athleticism, space really is all that is left: the Raumdeuter's sniffing out of wormholes and shortcuts, those tiny pockets of unspent possibility. Of course, some will see nothing exceptional in what Müller does, or at least nothing that can't be explained by conventional means. He is a wonderful close-range finisher. He moves intelligently and passes with his head up. Perhaps there is no need to attribute any qualities beyond those that are visible, no need to buy into the fable of the player who sees not just the planets but the dark matter in between. Perhaps the space investigator really is nothing more than another conjurer's trick, a dream of something more. Perhaps the truth is simply somewhere in between. But I, for one, definitely want to believe.

Barney Ronay, ladies and gentlemen.

Is he saying that Muller is inspired by god or aliens?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

blue footed boobie posted:

Is he saying that Muller is inspired by god or aliens?

I think he's saying Muller is the final result of the Nazi fascination with the occult.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
After the world cup win, Hitler can finally rest.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He's saying that when Muller fell over taking a free kick in the World Cup it was actually a brilliant use of space

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
To be fair if you've heard Barney Ronay on Football Weekly he is the most insincere person in the world, pretty sure his entire career has been a satire of the pretentious football writer.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think he's great and that he's deliberately taking the piss.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AlasdairGold/status/877459004330582016

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I was at the LA Dodgers game last night when I spotted a few fans taking pictures with a young, blue haired guy in front of me. I realized it was Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann and that he was hanging out with some friends/Atleti players watching the game. My buddies asked if I was going to have him sign something or take a picture, but I told them I had a better idea.

As my group was leaving the stadium, I walked over to Antoine's group and told him I was a fan and that he is an fantastic player. He shook my hand and then held out a pen as if to sign something. I said, "Oh no, I don't have anything to sign...in fact, I actually have something to give you! It's a great piece of advice Antoine - JOIN ARSENAL. We need you Antoine! Olivier needs you up front! You will finally win the champions league! Please Antoine?"

Although Griezmann was laughing, the dozens of Atleti players/managers/coaches that were sitting around him got angry and started jeering me to leave. I couldn't be happier though. I figure it is like Inception - just planting the Arsenal seed.

Gooner till I die.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

how can you not hate this loving team jesus christ

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

That has to be fake.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

We are THE ones who never won the European Cup.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Weaponized Cum posted:

how can you not hate this loving team jesus christ

They hate themselves far more than any rival could.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Yeah, I can't wait for all the embarrassing Universal movie tie in adverts and blue painted mascots...

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SSFCFOTY13/status/879148939823296512

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

That account is a goldmine.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Mickolution posted:

That account is a goldmine.

Even this dude's bio is incredible.

Doofus posted:

Cougs, Sounders FC, Mountaineer, Dave Matthews Band, Beer & Wine. FOTY13, @Sonarfeed Producer, Real Oviedo shareholder #YNYA tweets are my own

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

give Cech his helmet back he probably needs it!

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
E: I was not caught up on this thread

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 1, 2017

Andnook
Mar 10, 2005
https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/881119742991400961

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread IMO

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

Wrong thread IMO

Definitely wrong thread

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

lmao this rules

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Definitely wrong thread

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Definitely wrong thread

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Definitely wrong thread

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Definitely wrong thread

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This is wonderful.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The wrongest of threads

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lmao this owns

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pundits, the original bad posters

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a nice goal in here, somewhere. But the crowd songs. The crowd songs are... perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYMnBU9KRM

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

TheBigAristotle posted:

If your nickname ends in -rse you're already on a hiding to nothing

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Didn't know Merse was a Sunderland fan