Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
After an assignment test got a message from the recruiter saying if I saw a recent email, there was no email on my inbox or spam, and so far the recruiter's been silent and didn't respond my follow-up message. Not sure if their interest in doing a follow-up is a good sign or if they just want to let me know they really didnt like my performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Keetron posted:

Sorry, you need to give them your birth certificate exactly why?

The job's in the Probation department, so they're putting me through most of what they put sworn police officers through. They need to see my birth certificate, high school diploma, college degree, transcripts, driver's license, etc. I also have to write a one-page essay about myself, get fingerprinted, and take a polygraph test. It's a bit intense!

They haven't asked for my Twitter password, at least.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Grump posted:

yeah I'm still only a year and a half out of school, so money is basically everything right now.

But the problem is that I have to rely solely on public transportation, so a lot of my applications are going to be for Comcast jobs and small companies in town, pretty much. That being said, I'm really not looking for an absurd amount of money. I just want an average salary instead of working for a 20-30 person company who won't pay more than 50k for a developer with 5+ years of experience.

If you're ok with taking regional rail to work I'd highly recommend Vanguard in Malvern. It has the benefit of not being a lovely company like Comcast and they legitimately treat their employees well and compensate them competitively.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it ever worth saying up-front what your ideal salary range is to a recruiter? One of them is asking me for one, but I'm reluctant to talk about salary until everything else has shaken out.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Not really. If they're jonesing the salary just think of your ideal salary for the location and add a couple ten thousand.

I've also just told them $1 if they're doing the "I have to put a number in" bullshit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was gonna name a comically large number (to me) since their AngelList page lists a loving bizarre $80k min-max delta for their positions, so I guess that's that. Question is whether I drum up the balls to drop that number or just put it off until later.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I wonder if I can write this autobiographical essay using only information that's already on the background check form. "My name is Colin and I have been convicted for none of the following: Arson, Assault…"

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Pollyanna posted:

Is it ever worth saying up-front what your ideal salary range is to a recruiter? One of them is asking me for one, but I'm reluctant to talk about salary until everything else has shaken out.

If you know exactly how much you want and you know that that number is well above average, then yes. Otherwise no.

If you feel confidant, turn it around and ask the recruiter what the offered range is. Otherwise just say that you need to get to know the company better before talking about salary.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Update on the coding challenge. I emailed this morning and it turns out that he forgot to send it. He sent it to me and now I have to figure how how to optimize SQL. I think the rest of the challenge has been pretty OK though.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I got basically the same thing once only it was PHP. I had PHP exactly nowhere on my resume and had given no indication whatsoever that I knew PHP but was asked to write it on a timed code review.

Given what they were asking it was one of those "how the gently caress can any human do that in 30 minutes?" kinds of things. There was no way I could have done it in even a language I did know. I forget what the problem was beyond thinking "...the gently caress?"

I got tell me what this code in a language we made up for this interview question does -- and find the bug. Sometimes they're testing language knowledge. Sometimes they're testing language knowledge. Sometimes they just want to know if you can reason about code.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

KernelSlanders posted:

I got tell me what this code in a language we made up for this interview question does -- and find the bug. Sometimes they're testing language knowledge. Sometimes they're testing language knowledge. Sometimes they just want to know if you can reason about code.

Here's the kicker: It was one of those online, in a web browser things that didn't tell me it was PHP until the test actually started.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

This week I had an interview where we talked about Jenkins and CD/CI where I was asked if I could set up all that.
I said I can but I never did, although having work with this jenkins/git/docker stuff a lot, I am confident it can be figured out.
They hired me, one of the tasks will be learning new tech and implement it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Keetron posted:

This week I had an interview where we talked about Jenkins and CD/CI where I was asked if I could set up all that.
I said I can but I never did, although having work with this jenkins/git/docker stuff a lot, I am confident it can be figured out.
They hired me, one of the tasks will be learning new tech and implement it.

It's not that bad, though it takes a bit of practice. Should be fine.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just finished up my interview. I knew it wasn't the job for me when i walked in and saw only 3 people there.

Also it was my first whiteboarding session. Those are b awkward

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Grump posted:

Just finished up my interview. I knew it wasn't the job for me when i walked in and saw only 3 people there.

:confused:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Ah idk. It's just seemed very weird walking into a room with 3 pasty looking developers and literally no other employees. Just gave me a very looming feeling.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What were you expecting?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Grump posted:

Ah idk. It's just seemed very weird walking into a room with 3 pasty looking developers and literally no other employees. Just gave me a very looming feeling.

That seems better than 2 hr people.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Thermopyle posted:

What were you expecting?

Developers with better tans.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Grump posted:

To me that would be a great sign that they have good time off or work from home policies.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PokeJoe posted:

To me that would be a great sign that they have good time off or work from home policies.

Yeah, I would prefer a core team of a few developers instead of a round-table of HR people/managers or a weird day-long visitation.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I would prefer a core team of a few developers instead of a round-table of HR people/managers or a weird day-long visitation.

I'm pretty sure they mean no one else in the office. No HR, no reception, no designers, no art/ux, no product. Just 3 developers in an office. Some people want a bit larger / more rounded company.

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker
I just passed the first round python/sql interview for a Facebook data engineering position, and will be going in for the on site interview in a few weeks. They said that some of the things that will be covered are data modeling (e.g. table structures, data architecture, star schema, fact, and dimension tables) and designing ETL processes but these are areas that I have little to no experience, does anyone have any recommendations for resources to try to pick up these concepts as best as possible in a short time span? Thanks in advance goons.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I just took an Amazon coding assessment the other day on some website which had two tests to complete. Are those solutions more about weeding out people that can't code/just copy code from some stack overflow response, or actually judging the code submitted (assuming it compiles & passes tests)? I hated my brute force algorithm despite it working.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 30, 2017

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tweak posted:

I just took an Amazon coding assessment the other day on some website which had two tests to complete. Are those solutions more about weeding out people that can't code/just copy code from some stack overflow response, or actually judging the code submitted (assuming it compiles & passes tests)? I hated my brute force algorithm despite it working.

It's mostly about weeding out people who can't code at all. Sure, if you're going to test anything, a ranking will show up, but I doubt they pour your submission for hours debating it's merits. They'll make some "good enough to interview" judgement, and go from there. Also, working & sub-optimal is better than not working & could maybe be optimal one day.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I don't think I believe the follow up call I received today (I finished the assessment last night around 8) who said, "I needed to call you quickly because you did really well on this" since I wanted to reply, "I thought it was garbage but ok :S"

edit: well, at least 1 of the 2 was.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 30, 2017

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Skandranon posted:

It's mostly about weeding out people who can't code at all. Sure, if you're going to test anything, a ranking will show up, but I doubt they pour your submission for hours debating it's merits. They'll make some "good enough to interview" judgement, and go from there. Also, working & sub-optimal is better than not working & could maybe be optimal one day.

Otoh I literally got rejected for one of the last coding challenges I did in my last job search for not introducing a logging framework.

All for the best.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Tweak posted:

I don't think I believe the follow up call I received today (I finished the assessment last night around 8) who said, "I needed to call you quickly because you did really well on this" since I wanted to reply, "I thought it was garbage but ok :S"

edit: well, at least 1 of the 2 was.

This means that all their other candidates are garbage. I had an interview where I did linked-list insertion badly and got "wow, that was awesome!" Sure enough, the recruiter they were working through was both stupid and aggressively unpleasant.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Recognizing that your code is garbage probably puts you ahead of 95% of the people applying

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I had a timed coding question and assessment thing yesterday.

It was 8 questions, and the first six where "Explain how this concept works" or multiple choice, and I was taking my time answering them thoroughly.

Didn't realize the last two questions were coding assessments that would each take me half an hour to work through, and I only had 40 minutes left :(

Ended up panicking after spending 20 minutes on the first one, so I moved on to the second one to try to get at least one of them done, turned out to be the same amount of time required, so both of them were half answered and completely non working.

I got pissed off at myself for terrible time management skills, and finished the two coding assessments on my own time just to say I did. I sent my contact at the company an email thanking her for setting up the interview and assessment, and mentioned I ran out of time to answer the last two questions. I'm assuming it would be really stupid to send them my finished answers I did on my own time.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

ddiddles posted:

It was 8 questions, and the first six where "Explain how this concept works" or multiple choice, and I was taking my time answering them thoroughly.

Didn't realize the last two questions were coding assessments that would each take me half an hour to work through, and I only had 40 minutes left :(

Ended up panicking after spending 20 minutes on the first one, so I moved on to the second one to try to get at least one of them done, turned out to be the same amount of time required, so both of them were half answered and completely non working.

I got pissed off at myself for terrible time management skills, and finished the two coding assessments on my own time just to say I did. I sent my contact at the company an email thanking her for setting up the interview and assessment, and mentioned I ran out of time to answer the last two questions. I'm assuming it would be really stupid to send them my finished answers I did on my own time.

I wouldn't know the answer to your actual question, but it sounds like they needed WAY more communication on their part. Remember old tests that would say an estimated amount of time per section, so you wouldn't waste the entire time stuck on one problem? They definitely should have done something like that, and I also think timed coding sounds like a jerk move. So don't beat yourself up too much!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I had a very good timed test, multiple choice that required both knowledge and, on many questions, thinking, which required you wait at least two minutes before skipping a question. That took some pressure off.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

ddiddles posted:

One time i hosed up a coding test and then went back home and did it right and then sent the manager my result and they were impressed that i cared that much

I would have sent them your second attempt

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Pollyanna posted:

$1 - $100000000

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Grump posted:

One time i hosed up a coding test and then went back home and did it right and then sent the manager my result and they were impressed that i cared that much

I would have sent them your second attempt

It was an online hackerrank thing that I can't retake, would it look weird if I just send them the code I wrote at home?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

ddiddles posted:

It was an online hackerrank thing that I can't retake, would it look weird if I just send them the code I wrote at home?

You have nothing to lose. Worst case: you don't get the job. Current case: you don't have the job. Best case, they're impressed and you get the job.

So basically, just do it. "Hey, I misjuged the time, but the challenges were really interesting, so I completed them on my own time, here's the code" is totally acceptable.

toadoftoadhall
Feb 27, 2015
Afternoon friendos,

Can anybody recommend a book or resource (or your own strategy) for dealing with complex systems? Not in the abstract way, but practical methods for engineers to manage problems :coolfish:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

toadoftoadhall posted:

Afternoon friendos,

Can anybody recommend a book or resource (or your own strategy) for dealing with complex systems? Not in the abstract way, but practical methods for engineers to manage problems :coolfish:

Can you be more specific? There's a lot of work in systems thinking.

There's the theory of constraints, popularized in "The Goal" by Goldratt. It was originally written for manufacturing, but it's been applied to comp sci problems, as seen in (not as good) "The Phoenix Project" by Kim.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Not a newbie, but I'm in a bit of a weird position right now. My workplace hasn't been the best lately and I eventually made the decision to leave. I contacted another company and was offered a job with a small pay increase in a better location. I accepted and my starting date is 2 weeks from now.

However, my current workplace has indicated that they're open to promoting me to a management position, meaning I would be in a position to fix a lot of the things that have been bugging me and would be getting paid (I assume) significantly more. I would be leading a team of about 4 devs who I'm very fond of and work very well with. I haven't had the meeting regarding this yet, that takes place on Monday with the CEO. But assuming the CEO accepts all of my various "demands" (and he may not), I will then have to make a choice.

If I decide to stay, it means I would need to contact the other employer and withdraw my acceptance of their offer. Obviously as a human person with a conscience this makes me feel pretty lovely for wasting their time, but as a career driven, ambitious person I also understand that I really need to look out for what is best for me. I guess I'm just wondering, has anyone else done this before? How did the conversation go down? Am I a lovely person?

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.
You're not a lovely person. The other party might be disappointed, but it's business, this stuff happens. As for handling the conversation, be forthright with them and say that your current company approached you with a better counteroffer after you gave them notice, and you've decided to accept it.