Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IOwnCalculus posted:

In the back of my mind I've always got that thought about what happens if someone tries to save a couple extra pennies.

Ask LG with the 5x charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Can someone recommend me a good shatterproof screen protector from Amazon for my S8, that has a tray to line up on installation? I'm super OCD about my screen protector being lined up straight and I can't parse the roughly fifteen thousand options showing up, TIA.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Coming from a BB10 to a Moto G5 plus is incredible. Perfect work phone. Not sure why you would buy anything else at that price point.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

black.lion posted:

Can someone recommend me a good shatterproof screen protector from Amazon for my S8, that has a tray to line up on installation? I'm super OCD about my screen protector being lined up straight and I can't parse the roughly fifteen thousand options showing up, TIA.

Shatterproof means plastic, which means you can buy them as a generic 5-pack or 10-pack for barely any extra and just keep trying until you nail it.

Tempered glass is the way to go though, because they are rigid they are much easier to line up perfectly, they are much harder to scratch, and they can take a shatter for the actual screen because they have more mass to disperse energy into.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Zero VGS posted:

Tempered glass is the way to go though, because they are rigid they are much easier to line up perfectly, they are much harder to scratch, and they can take a shatter for the actual screen because they have more mass to disperse energy into.

Word yes that is what I want, can you suggest one that an idiot can put on near perfectly?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Coming from a BB10 to a Moto G5 plus is incredible. Perfect work phone. Not sure why you would buy anything else at that price point.

The G5S Plus is coming in July apparently.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

A big problem with the OP3 was the lovely screen lag. Apparently, the OP5 has something similar and OPO says it's "normal".

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/06/29/jelly-oneplus-acknowledges-scrolling-jelly-effect-oneplus-5-screen-says-normal/

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

A big problem with the OP3 was the lovely screen lag. Apparently, the OP5 has something similar and OPO says it's "normal".

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/06/29/jelly-oneplus-acknowledges-scrolling-jelly-effect-oneplus-5-screen-says-normal/

My OP3 doesn't have any of the issues mentioned in that article but what about ghosting (bleeding? or whatever) of very dark colours (like pure black) onto less dark ones (dark gray) when you scroll around in some dark apps and websites?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've always gotten the "Jelly" effect on high DPI devices when scrolling with Android. I can reproduce it at will with my Pixel C right now.

I haven't seen it on 1080p and below devices, but anything I've used that's higher than 1080p and in portrait has done it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/projectfi/status/880473299309830144

I suppose this counts as a new device coming.

Rumors say it might be Android One coming, but it also could be a Pixel or something.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I upgraded from a G3 to a G5+ and I just wanted to say it's loving nice to (1) have a phone with 4 gigs of working ram, and (2) not have it heat up to 116 degrees for no loving reason whatsoever.

For real though, the 4gb of RAM should be the headline for the higher version, not the 64 gb of storage.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

So I upgraded from a G3 to a G5+ and I just wanted to say it's loving nice to (1) have a phone with 4 gigs of working ram, and (2) not have it heat up to 116 degrees for no loving reason whatsoever.

For real though, the 4gb of RAM should be the headline for the higher version, not the 64 gb of storage.

Have you, uh, heard of the one plus 5?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I've always gotten the "Jelly" effect on high DPI devices when scrolling with Android. I can reproduce it at will with my Pixel C right now.

I haven't seen it on 1080p and below devices, but anything I've used that's higher than 1080p and in portrait has done it.

Pretty sure I can also do this easily on dark backgrounds on my normal Pixel, and on previous phones.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't think that's what they're talking about...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

The video linked in the article is exactly what I'm talking about.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Huh, yeah that's different, I didn't realize there was a video. That might be a more extreme version of what I'm talking about? That slight shadowing thing on AMOLED is something you've seen, like you scroll a dark background and there's some "stretching" or something? But that video was way more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The effect I've seen is very very similar. It can manifest itself in different ways. I've seen an overall 'bunching' like that video. I've also see the left and right side of the screen get out of sync and rubberband.

Again, I've seen this on very nearly every android device I've owned included nexus devices.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is this what google has decided to rebrand their nexus line as? Why?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not really. Android One was designed to bring good low cost phones to developing markets to combat POS devices being sold there. It's almost more like the Pure devices they sold at their store.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_One

Nexus was designed to show off "reference" hardware and software to be Google's "ideal" phone design and to be a development platform.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, Nexus phones are hybrid google/company devices, with the manufacturer handling the hardware and getting their company branding on the back of the case but Google being in charge of software and support and sales. Android One devices are entirely branded and marketed by the manufacturer and are just noted as being part of the AndroidOne program, but in Google'll basically give them most of the device-specific code and optimisations and serve them most of the updating and software maintenance on a silver platter, saving the manufacturer costs and effort. In exchange, the devices have minimum hardware requirements and software setup and maintenance agreements so that they stop making GBS threads up Android's rep with lovely arse phones with horrible bundleware and skins and being abandoned instantly.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 30, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

It's cool when Google gives me 10 cents for telling them that I didn't go anywhere

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Duggler posted:

It's cool when Google gives me 10 cents for telling them that I didn't go anywhere

"Still a shut-in? Here's a dime, don't spend it all in one place."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Did you visit any of these places you've barely even heard of, one of which you're pretty sure isn't even a physical business?

:ocelot: don't spend it all in one place

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Did you visit any of these places you've barely even heard of, one of which you're pretty sure isn't even a physical business?

:ocelot: don't spend it all in one place

Hey, remember that time you went to _____________ two months ago? Tell us about it!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

nimper posted:

Hey, remember that time you went to _____________ two months ago? Tell us about it!

Been to any water parks lately? LIAR!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I did once cut though a hotel lobby downtown because it's part of our skyway system and it was raining or snowing or something, and was thus able to tell Google that yes, I had been to that hotel.

What did I like about it? The elevator was nice.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"has functioning roof"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Duggler posted:

Better than the recent one I got that had me answer a few questions, then said "lol, sometimes our questions don't come with monetary rewards!" and I got $0.00.

Thankfully, that was only one time.

Most of mine come from hanging out with my sister and her kids. "Have you been to [kid's store]?" Yes! "How did you pay." I didn't!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Duggler posted:

Truly, the highlight of Android ownership.

(This happens to me a lot, because I go lots of places, but apparently none of them are interesting enough for Google, so they always ask about the place I was right next door to, or got stuck at a stoplight near.)

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

That's just a feature, the wavy effect is supposed to help you relax

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Thermopyle posted:

It is almost a day later so obviously they are now saying that it's gonna be fixed in a future update:

https://twitter.com/OnePlus_Support/status/880666443314057216

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Some of the surveys ask if they can post to my public Google profile and I'm like nope every time, and then they like okay here's your no cents fucker.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Zero VGS posted:

Some of the surveys ask if they can post to my public Google profile and I'm like nope every time, and then they like okay here's your no cents fucker.

How long have you been seeing this? I've never had them ask this before

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Never Settle™ for Jelly Scrolling

https://www.xda-developers.com/confirmed-oneplus-5-display-upside-down-likely-reason-jelly-scrolling/

They installed the panels upside down :doh:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The video linked in the article is exactly what I'm talking about.

I've never seen this. Certainly not on my 6P.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Bahahahahhaah

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I've never seen this. Certainly not on my 6P.

Like I said, I can see this on my Pixel C right now if I use it in portrait. My Tab S3 also does a variation of it in portrait.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

:psyduck:

lmao

take all of my lmaos

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Never Settle™ For Less RAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU