Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If this was a gif, it would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Samuel Clemens posted:

If this was a gif, it would be perfect.

Gotcha covered.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

That's undeniably great, but it does lose something when you can't see the individual parts.

Swerb
Jan 23, 2013
It's taken ages but I've finally beaten FFV for the first time. It was just a regular run with Blue/Bers/Nin/Drg. I did most of the optional stuff (besides Bahamut/Levi/Phoenix and Superbosses) because I wanted to check out as much as possible.

So 29 hours of goblin punching later Exdeath is defeated (4th or 5th try or so). Shoutouts to Exdeath slayer Berserker Krile. She got like 4+ Sword Dance procs on W2 Exdeath to really alleviate that fight for me. Final Exdeath she wrecked form 1 with 4 Sword Dance procs and then a handful more in phase 2 (including the killing blow). :black101:

I feel like I could have at least killed Shinryu with a bit of effort (thanks to a Dragon Lance I managed to snag), not so sure about Omega (was trying to do stuff the first time around without looking too much into advice/cheese strats). However, I felt more compelled to start a new run (embracing the #chaos this time).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Our long national nightmare is over. Ended up at level 45. Even after cheating it took me ten more tries to get enough CK hits and two not-so-bad Grand Crosses. Let us never speak of this again.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Is snapping rods against the sandworm a viable strategy?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

go for it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Frost rods will pop for about 600, so you either need about five or to do some damage outside the rods. You'll also eat two Gravity counters every time, so unless everybody in your party can break rods you probably will want to heal up while you do it.

But it's definitely possible, since that's how I did it, having only bards and time mages at that point on my run.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Does quickleaking work in the GBA version?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Does quickleaking work in the GBA version?

Yes.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

So that was a lot less grinding than I anticipated.

Mystic Knight really lets you farm fast, whether ABP via Void enemies or XP via Iron Giants in the Rift. Avoiding bad enemy packs is also really easy with Thief. While getting X-fight on everyone I was also able to steal a spare Bone Mail to use the unequip glitch so everyone could be charm-immune vs Omega (I also stole a buttload of mostly-superfluous things).

My plan had been to first put everyone up to 41 and then take my Mystic Knight + Monk as high as needed to be able to rush down Shinryu before seeing how high I would need to take the Mystic Knight so that 2 volleys would wreck Omega. Turns out 41 was plenty on both counts, although both fights looked like they needed a little luck. Shinryu was first try (I'm unsure how well my levels would have stacked against some of his moves, like Zombie Breath/Poison Breath) and Omega was second (lol Encircle RNG).

I'm glad I stayed at 28-29 for Neo Exdeath, because after picking up those levels + Flare Blade I'm pretty sure the fight would have been boring (unless I rolled the dice with X-Fight I guess).

e: lol i forgot to use the darkness bow vs Shinryu

e2: also forgot to mention that while grinding levels i stole no fewer than 15 wall rings.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 30, 2017

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010
How do I know if I need to buy Istory rings, exactly? I'm never really sure what lineups or objectives would warrant that kind of farming.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think it's not really strictly required for many parties, although if you have no healing options flame ring + fire attacks might theoretically be attractive. However, once you get to world 2 past the bridge you have access to Hi-potions, which provide enough healing to get by except for a couple of the later world 2 fights. I think there are very few teams that would need them for world 1, especially if you are willing to use elixirs on the tougher fights like Sol Cannon or maybe Archaeoavis.

If by the time you reach the crystals you will have zero access to instant death/critical HP (berserker, ranger, beastmaster) or shell (white mage) or other OP bullshit (samurai, chemist) then you have to be pretty careful in the crystal fight and you want at least enough DPS to deal the last 3000 damage reliably quickly. Any team other than like something with only geomancers, red mages, and thieves can do this if you give them a reasonable number of levels (probably less grinding than going for 50k a pop in world 1).

If managing that fight seems like it's going to be an issue then you can cheese the fight by getting one or more flame rings in world 1 (or the flame shield after the fire but in almost all cases the aegis shield is what you want to take), putting the fire crystal into danger mode, and then having it heal you as you chip away at the others.

The other big roadblock that you would theoretically want to cheese would be world 2 Exdeath (I would make a case that he's the toughest boss in the game in that there are very few gimmicks available, he has a pretty nasty constellation of moves, and he's before you have access to the world 3 goodies and grinding spots). I think the Istory rings aren't as useful here, as compared to farming wall rings in Barrier Tower, since that protects from all three of the Bolt3/Fire3/Ice3 spells he throws out in his later phase.

If you have a red mage then the question is whether you are going to need a stockpile of rods for either of these two fights, since they boost the red mage's damage dramatically and are only available in world 1. (Maybe also for Time Mage, although Comet will probably suffice up to w3).

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 30, 2017

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

FreeKillB posted:

I think it's not really strictly required for many parties, although if you have no healing options flame ring + fire attacks might theoretically be attractive. However, once you get to world 2 past the bridge you have access to Hi-potions, which provide enough healing to get by except for a couple of the later world 2 fights. I think there are very few teams that would need them for world 1.

If by the time you reach the crystals you will have zero access to instant death/critical HP (berserker, ranger, beastmaster) or shell (white mage) or other OP bullshit (samurai, chemist) then you have to be pretty careful in the crystal fight and you want at least enough DPS to deal the last 3000 damage reliably quickly. Any team other than like something with only geomancers, red mages, and thieves can do this if you give them a reasonable number of levels (probably less grinding than going for 50k a pop in world 1).

If managing that fight seems like it's going to be an issue then you can cheese the fight by getting one or more flame rings in world 1 (or the flame shield after the fire but in almost all cases the aegis shield is what you want to take), putting the fire crystal into danger mode, and then having it heal you as you chip away at the others.

The other big roadblock that you would theoretically want to cheese would be world 2 exdeath (I would make a case that he's the toughest boss in the game in that there are very few gimmicks available, he has a pretty nasty constellation of moves, and he's before you have access to the world 3 goodies and grinding spots). I think the Istory rings aren't as useful here, as compared to farming wall rings in Barrier Tower, since that protects from all three of the Bolt3/Fire3/Ice3 spells he throws out in his later phase.

If you have a red mage then the question is whether you are going to need a stockpile of rods for either of these two fights, since they boost the red mage's damage dramatically and are only available in world 1.

Current squad is Knight/Beast/RDM so I think I'm set on reflects, don't know how BST is able to cheese the seal crystals though.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Catch a Sand Crawler, which releases for Maelstrom, which can put any number of the crystals into critical HP (you can probably get it to proc on 3-4 if you save scum a little). The other world 2 catch that can cheese them is the Aquathorn, which is a single target Destroy effect which will also kill 1 crystal.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Does the magic underflow glitch work in GBA?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It does not.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

FreeKillB posted:

Catch a Sand Crawler, which releases for Maelstrom, which can put any number of the crystals into critical HP (you can probably get it to proc on 3-4 if you save scum a little). The other world 2 catch that can cheese them is the Aquathorn, which is a single target Destroy effect which will also kill 1 crystal.

This is a good way. My old way was to catch 4 iron backs in the cave to Catolepas. I'd whittle down each crystal until they were close to the critical phase then release all at once to skip the spells altogether.

I've never ground Istory rings.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

...I'm beginning to wonder why I downloaded the Fiesta mod.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Journey of the Quadzerker: Part V

"Spankety spankety spankety!"

Completely unnecessary...

Worst. Boss rush. Ever.

Tidal Wave healing is fun. I think it's the first time I haven't cheesed him in two years.

RIP in peace, Greg...

Next time: Axe versus tree.

Rebelle Winter
Jun 21, 2015
Yahoo I got Omega

It was just a simple matter of holding him down with !Calm while I landed 19 Sword Dances before he snuck out and got a shot off and killed me. It took quite a few tries to get that lucky.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
drat even with a freight train of Mystic Knight/ Mystic Knight/ Knight/ Ninja Byblos still almost killed me. I think it's the counterattacks that make the bosses in this game so brutal.

Anyway my last job is Dancer...I'm starting to get worried about the lack of anything but damage output.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So my next party is Thief - Knight - Geomancer - Dragoon. That's... pretty bad! I feel like this might be one of the very rare occasions where I actually need the Brave Blade. Talk me out of it!

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Run #3 down. Wasn't hard just wasn't very interesting. Having to grind to survive Almagest wasn't very fun. Also wanted to avoid doing Island Shrine and other World 3 dungeons, so I ended up just stealing a rune blade from a stingray which actually made my red mage a pretty great attacker when combined with two handed,

Next run is a popular run starting with Time, so I guess I'll be freelancering it up for a while.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

OzFactor posted:

So my next party is Thief - Knight - Geomancer - Dragoon. That's... pretty bad! I feel like this might be one of the very rare occasions where I actually need the Brave Blade. Talk me out of it!

There are more good swords available than daggers, you have two ways around chicken knife flee, you have an easy shinryu for an alternative sword, and iirc CK gets the Lance !jump bonus in one of the versions.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

First Fiesta of the run done! Geo/Drag/Nin/Drag. I never used !Gaia in my actual runs, so I was surprised to see it not only demolish World 1, but stay sort of relevant the entire game. Lots of stronger random encounters can be insta killed or confused by it, and I thought that was awesome. !Lance being my only source of non-itemized healing was interesting, and the mp damage was very rarely useful as well. !DualWielding Dragoons are still cool as gently caress if not extremely useful, and !Throw was very much my emergency button (RIP World 2 ExDeath, Shuriken'd to shreds). I could probably take on Shinryu, but fuuuck farming 6 Dragon Lances.

Overall, this team lacked extreme synergy and was somewhat single-minded, with timing !Jumps being the most complex poo poo. That being said, the fact that I felt like I was constantly swinging between over and underpowered depending on the entirely on the enemy made this team and run fairly fun. Onto the next one.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

OzFactor posted:

I usually never talk people out of Brave Blade runs, but this team won't have many issues with bosses in World 3, while several random encounters will be really annoying for them, so you might want to reconsider.

Nasgate posted:

There are more good swords available than daggers, you have two ways around chicken knife flee, you have an easy shinryu for an alternative sword, and iirc CK gets the Lance !jump bonus in one of the versions.

I don't recall the Chicken Knife getting the bonus damage with !Jump. The Twin Lance's double attack works correctly on the iOS version though, so a Thief with !Jump is a genuinely good idea for World 2 and arguably most of World 3 as well.

Also, I wouldn't consider Shinryu easy with this team.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

With knight/blue/beastmaster/summoner I got the brave blade after fleeing all game just to goblin punch with it through the pyramid and then two-hand Excalibur.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
"Heh, bunch of people wasting their time making Freelancer-only saves at the Water Crystal. What are the odds* they'll need them?"

In my defense I thought Chaos and Pure Chaos still sorted by availability.

*70% for Chaos, ~72% for PC. I probably should have actually checked the odds!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Nasgate posted:

I totally forgot about Mug. But how is this an easy Shin kill? Dragon Lance jumps? I'd have to land, like, a lot of them, wouldn't I?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

OzFactor posted:

I totally forgot about Mug. But how is this an easy Shin kill? Dragon Lance jumps? I'd have to land, like, a lot of them, wouldn't I?

Dragon Lance jumps often do the full 9,999 damage, so you'd need six jumps.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay but I'm still not sure how I stay alive that long... Dragoon just keeps jumping while the others are reflected zombies? Will that timing work out?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

OzFactor posted:

Okay but I'm still not sure how I stay alive that long... Dragoon just keeps jumping while the others are reflected zombies? Will that timing work out?

Shinryu is pretty fast, so I don't think so. There's probably no foolproof strategy so you might have to do it a couple times till the RNG is favorable. I might go Coral Rings on everyone but the Dragoon, who puts on Running Shoes. Phoenix Down & Elixir the Dragoon the first turn then just Jump away and hope for favorable attacks. The downside of Haste is that the jump ends sooner, so I might be wrong there and it might be worth the Coral Ring.

It ain't a great strategy. Someone who is smarter than me might have a better idea. I don't see how it's easy and you don't have access to Berserk.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 30, 2017

Dr. Psychobabble
Jun 14, 2009
Second Fiesta, second run.
The first run I skipped Omega and Shinryu, but this time I want to give them a try.
I'm going for Omega right now. Problem is, I'm significantly lacking disabling abilities for Omega.
My party is Black Mage / Time Wizard / Ninja / Chemist.
Last one is the key, of course, but other than Kiss of Blessing to disable Omega's worst attacks, but I don't have Golem to buffer his powerful hits or the reliable Blink.
For damage I know I can use the Black Mage with the aid of some reflects, or the Ninja with their own Kiss of Blessing, a couple of dragon potions and 2 or more Turtle Soups on Omega.
But I have no clue how to keep people alive. The downside of the KoB is that Omega gets REALLY fast. I can renew KoB on the Ninja for the blink effect and have one or two party members using !Image. But that means I have less !Mixing going on.
Am I missing something obvious?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dr. Psychobabble posted:

The first run I skipped Omega and Shinryu, but this time I want to give them a try.
I'm going for Omega right now. Problem is, I'm significantly lacking disabling abilities for Omega.
Last one is the key, of course, but other than Kiss of Blessing to disable Omega's worst attacks, but I don't have Golem to buffer his powerful hits or the reliable Blink.
For damage I know I can use the Black Mage with the aid of some reflects, or the Ninja with their own Kiss of Blessing, a couple of dragon potions and 2 or more Turtle Soups on Omega.
But I have no clue how to keep people alive. The downside of the KoB is that Omega gets REALLY fast. I can renew KoB on the Ninja for the blink effect and have one or two party members using !Image. But that means I have less !Mixing going on.

Quickleak?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Solo Chemist strat? I don't know if that guide is in the OP but it's definitely somewhere lurking in Carbybot or the Discord info posts. I mean, you could do fancier stuff, but solo Chemist works just fine.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Omega for chemists obviously swtich Geomancer with whatever class has the highest magic.

quote:

How To Murder Omega With Chemist, Fight It Out edition:

0) Your Geomancer is the one that will murder Omega for you, due to highest magic score.
1) Everyone comes into the fight with a reflect ring and floating via Levisalve
2) Omega's first action is completely nullified by reflect rings.
3) Your team mixes onto your Geomancer: Dragon Kiss, Dragon Defense, Hasty-Ade, Goliath Tonic
4) Omega uses Wave Cannon. Ignore your non-Geomancer flunkies.
5) Geomancer saves their life with X-Potion. Two flunkies use Dragon Powers on the Geomancer to help level, and the third uses Resist Fire to null Flamethrower
6) Alternate Dragon Powers and X-Potions (as needed) until the Geomancer is level 255.
7) Alternate Turtle Soups and X-Potions (as needed) until you drop six Turtle Soups on him, reducing his Magic Defense to 2.
8) Use Succubus Kiss as your offense, but only when a Wave Cannon is not the next attack on his agenda (lest you get combo'd out by Mustard Bomb + Wave Cannon). Pay attention to Omega's AI routine to sniff this out.
9) Golden Gear get

Funktastic fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 30, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh, worth noting, someone in chat brought up that you might only want to use five Turtle Soups so that Reflected attacks still did 0 and didn't trigger counters. Whatever, though.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Up to L36 on my zerkers. Almost ready to smash my face against the wall that is Sandworm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Dr. Psychobabble posted:

Just beat him with the exact same team. Had mix on everyone and reflect rings. Originally tried to fight it out before blessed kissing him. I was close to level 40 and between Goliath tonic, back row, and protect from !mix he was only doing around half my hp. I took a few turns before berserking him to ready my guys up. Use quick to immediately make your time mage hasted and heavy, then work on doing the same for everyone else. The chemist can use a Goliath tonic which is nice.

• Locked thread