Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Fresh out of college with a B.A. Looking for an entry level lab tech job to tide me over before I go to graduate school. My prior work history is kinda lame. 2 years of retail, a temporary gig as a clerical worker, and most recently, about 6-8 months of doing some archaeology work (which is well within the scope of my major, luckily). I'm adding the archaeology job to my resume, should I add the two others? I'm trying to get a full page here while also keeping fluff to a minimum. The archaeology job was a mix of outdoor work, technical and legal writing, and ethnographic research, so I don't see too much overlap between that and an entry level lab tech job. How much am I supposed to milk these experiences without looking like I'm full of crap? I meet the job requirements, which are literally graduating highschool. But I don't have a degree in biology or chemistry, like they recommend. Also it appears no previous lab work experience is needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm looking at a manager position, and on the job posting it says "5 years experience in the past 10 years." I have 3.5 years of experience, is it even worth applying? Not in a managerial position, although I have trained quite a few of my coworkers and had some managerial responsibilities given to me. I have a certification one level higher than they require, I'm hoping that can make up for the 1.5 years I'm lacking?

Yes, always apply in this situation. Maybe you'll be the only candidate, or everyone else will only have two years or the wrong qualifications or whatever.

The worst that can happen is they drop your resume in the bin and don't call you.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I applied for a job that wanted three years of experience and advanced SQL/VBA skills. I had no experience and only beginner's skills in both. Got the offer, am pretty sure I was the only one who applied (they didn't advertise very widely).

Always apply

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm looking at a manager position, and on the job posting it says "5 years experience in the past 10 years." I have 3.5 years of experience, is it even worth applying? Not in a managerial position, although I have trained quite a few of my coworkers and had some managerial responsibilities given to me. I have a certification one level higher than they require, I'm hoping that can make up for the 1.5 years I'm lacking?

I was recently asked to apply and was interviewed for (waiting on results) a manager position that said 9 years + BS, 7 Years + MS. I have a BS + ~5 years if you count interships, ongoing MS.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I've applied to a bunch of things that specified years of experience in specific workforce planning software that I don't have before, and I've got at least to interview every time. The software never comes up in the interview. They're describing the ideal hire, they know they're going to have to compromise on some element of it unless they're really lucky.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome, thanks for all the advice y'all. Here's to hoping, there're two jobs that I'm realllllly gunning for, and this is one of them!

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

How many resumes are you guys handing out each day?
Today and yesterday I wrote and emailed out three resumes/cover letters.
I'm assuming two or three a day would be OK as people who I have talked to who are on Ontario works say they want you to hand out something like 35 resumes a month (this was ten years ago, I don't know how it is today) so two or three a day should be a lot with that line of thinking.
I'm not sure if this should be a concern either. I guess I'm just gauging how many resumes other people hand out.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So we hear alot about how unemployment is very low (like 4.5% or so), nearly full employment, and it's a buyers market for job seekers. Yet whenever I'm on LinkedIn, the # of people who have applied even to brand new (i.e. less than 24 hours) postings is near 50, sometimes 100. That to me sounds more like people are really trying hard to look and applying to everything. Primarily this is for product management/product marketing positions. I've seen it in TN, Chicago, multiple cities in Florida, California, NY, etc. Is this a case of already employed people just fishing for a better offer, or a sign that employment might not be as strong as thought?

Also, why do the same postings just sit there? I've seen some that just get posted every three to four weeks, without fail. Same company, same position, same posting.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Omne posted:

So we hear alot about how unemployment is very low (like 4.5% or so), nearly full employment, and it's a buyers market for job seekers. Yet whenever I'm on LinkedIn, the # of people who have applied even to brand new (i.e. less than 24 hours) postings is near 50, sometimes 100. That to me sounds more like people are really trying hard to look and applying to everything. Primarily this is for product management/product marketing positions. I've seen it in TN, Chicago, multiple cities in Florida, California, NY, etc. Is this a case of already employed people just fishing for a better offer, or a sign that employment might not be as strong as thought?

I think that 4.5% number is misleading because over the last ~50 years so many good jobs with benefits have been replaced by lovely jobs with no benefits. So maybe technically the unemployment rate is low, but I bet the number of "underemployed" people is way higher now than it has been at other times of 4.5% unemployment historically.

I don't know if there's a good statistic that tracks this... U6 is the closest measure but doesn't seem quite right to me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Omne posted:

Also, why do the same postings just sit there? I've seen some that just get posted every three to four weeks, without fail. Same company, same position, same posting.

I'll speculate that you may be getting recruiters applying for people, and that they have some automated way of doing so. I.e. that metric is garbage because the applicants are never going to materialize.

As far as sitting there, I work at a very large company that basically always "needs" people in certain categories. I'd bet that is one of their strategies. For example, I mentioned I applied to a manager rec recently that is posted externally but is a move within the same division at the same company for me. This had been sitting for 9 months. As soon as I got past the HR filter, probably by way of contacting the right people internally, I got auto applied to a different rec internally, and that first rec continues to sit open. I bet they refresh it to the top of the linkedin list every 2-3 weeks.

Unrelated to the quoted reply, but relevant to the thread topic:
For the people complaining about waiting to hear for a month or more, consider this. I have now been waiting for ~5 weeks since the interview for an internal position. This is despite being pretty well known to everyone in the decision chain for good things and given multiple awards/accolades within the past 2 years, etc.

Some higher-up friends/mentors have suggested that for the position I'm applying to the company sets certain must haves for number and types of applicants and until they are met I will wait. This includes interviewing X number of females, minorities, etc, but in my discipline its basically all white dudes.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Omne posted:

Some of the bigger companies have more work and money than they have people. E. G. Google is always hiring programmers, and managers to go with them.

They claim they can never find enough people who meet their standards, and maybe that is the case. Facebook, Amazon etc have the same problem.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think 4% is "full employment" and about 3 to 3.5% is people relocating and voluntarily leaving one job before finding another.

The rate is even lower for college graduates and holy poo poo if you're a White male with a degree. But all of those are broad aggregates. I'm a White guy with a Masters and I've been out of work for 4 months. So who the gently caress knows.

Statistics don't lie though. Maybe there's someone with my same name who fucks dogs on the internet and HR managers think that's me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Krispy Kareem posted:

Statistics don't lie though.
That statistic in particular is certainly massively misleading.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Omne posted:

At one of my old jobs, it was because turnover was high and they were constantly recruiting to replace people that left instead of finding out why it was high and fixing it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The published unemployment rate only includes people who've been unemployed 15 weeks or longer and have actively been looking for work in that time and people who've just finished temporary jobs and are actively seeking a new temporary job. The BLS total unemployment, discouraged worker (people who aren't working and have stopped looking for work) and underemployment rate is hovering around 9% nationwide.

There's substantial geographical variation as well but finding specifics on that right now is :effort:

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 17, 2017

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Omne posted:

There are some people without there with bad resumes/qualifications. They end up unemployed for a long time (because nobody wants to hire them) and sending their resumes in desperation to any position they find remotely relevant. I bet at least half of those applications are not serious applications that will be considered.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

LinkedIn also just registers an application if someone follows the link. Not necessarily if they actually submit an app

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If I'm applying for a job where negotiating/influencing ability is one of the selection criteria, is it a bad idea to mention having successfully negotiated my salary up in my last two jobs? It's the most concrete example I can think of but I'm worried it'd make them pass me over for someone they think will work for less.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If they really want someone skilled at negotiating I don't think they're going to balk at having the person they select negotiate with them regarding salary. Think about it for a second.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Organza Quiz posted:

If I'm applying for a job where negotiating/influencing ability is one of the selection criteria, is it a bad idea to mention having successfully negotiated my salary up in my last two jobs? It's the most concrete example I can think of but I'm worried it'd make them pass me over for someone they think will work for less.

You're (hopefully) about to have to negotiate your own salary. You don't tell car salesmen you're good at negotiating, you just do it. I'd give another example, like vendor/supplier relationships or something.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

It's expected you'd negotiate your salary.

I wouldn't brag about it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's expected you'd negotiate your salary.

I wouldn't brag about it.

I countered on my last job offer for something higher in the posted range. They said they'd call me back and never did. :(

On the plus side, they were hiring for the same position 2 months later, so that number two choice worked out swell for them.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I countered on my last job offer for something higher in the posted range. They said they'd call me back and never did. :(

On the plus side, they were hiring for the same position 2 months later, so that number two choice worked out swell for them.

Yeah, that's not a bad thing. If you weren't willing to work for what they offered, then it may be cool to have an offer, but it's not a usable one.

If they spook by having a counter proposed, then I'd just take that as a sign of how their HR works.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah, that's not a bad thing. If you weren't willing to work for what they offered, then it may be cool to have an offer, but it's not a usable one.

If they spook by having a counter proposed, then I'd just take that as a sign of how their HR works.

There are so many reasons that job would have been bad, so I definitely dodged a bullet. I wouldn't have minded getting paid while I looked for a better job, though. Which is what I'm guessing is exactly what the guy they picked did.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I'm worried that I'm leaning too heavily on One Thing!

I just graduated from college a few weeks ago with my Bachelor's in medical anthropology. Most of my work experience through college wasn't very field-relevant - construction, food service, and farmers market sales. I kicked rear end in all those jobs and really enjoyed them, but they're not exactly A+ resume material.

That said, I studied abroad in Jordan for four months and conducted a bunch of research (in Arabic!) with local city officials and outlying Bedouin populations. I wrote and distributed a few hundred surveys and interviewed a bunch of people in native Arabic, and I worked it all up in SPSS and presented it at my school's undergrad research conference. I'm proud as hell of that stuff. I've also been a volunteer medic for some local music festivals and had a lot of experience with clinical practices, but the Jordan research is the big thing.

Going by, I guess, a rough percentage, how much "diversity" should I include in my resume accomplishments? I wanna tout the really exemplary stuff (my research work) but I don't want to sound like a one trick pony.

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread - it's an awesome resource. Is there a similar thread for cover letter advice? I looked in the first few pages and the mega thread listing but I'm phoneposting so I reckon I missed it somewhere.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Just got a phone call from a previous employer asking me to fly out to a city that's about 20% higher cost of living for a 3+ month project, with a higher level of responsibility than what I left with. They want "asap asap a-s-a-p."

Oh boy. This might be some fun negotiating.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 21, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I'm worried that I'm leaning too heavily on One Thing!

I just graduated from college a few weeks ago with my Bachelor's in medical anthropology. Most of my work experience through college wasn't very field-relevant - construction, food service, and farmers market sales. I kicked rear end in all those jobs and really enjoyed them, but they're not exactly A+ resume material.

That said, I studied abroad in Jordan for four months and conducted a bunch of research (in Arabic!) with local city officials and outlying Bedouin populations. I wrote and distributed a few hundred surveys and interviewed a bunch of people in native Arabic, and I worked it all up in SPSS and presented it at my school's undergrad research conference. I'm proud as hell of that stuff. I've also been a volunteer medic for some local music festivals and had a lot of experience with clinical practices, but the Jordan research is the big thing.

Going by, I guess, a rough percentage, how much "diversity" should I include in my resume accomplishments? I wanna tout the really exemplary stuff (my research work) but I don't want to sound like a one trick pony.

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread - it's an awesome resource. Is there a similar thread for cover letter advice? I looked in the first few pages and the mega thread listing but I'm phoneposting so I reckon I missed it somewhere.

what kinds of jobs are you planning to apply to?

you should probably have a couple versions of your resume - one targeted on your professional field, one targeted towards more general professional settings, etc.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what kinds of jobs are you planning to apply to?

you should probably have a couple versions of your resume - one targeted on your professional field, one targeted towards more general professional settings, etc.

Oh jeez I probably should have mentioned that!

I'm applying for a lot of research coordinator/associate positions in a big city with a lot of healthcare companies and research institutes. Study design, participant communication, and data management. So the stuff I'm leaning on is, like, precisely what I'll be asked to do in those positions.

After that post I went back and forth between cover letter writing and resume editing and ended up with what I think is a much better version of both. I found this post on the Ask a Manager site that someone linked earlier and it's super helpful, especially the way it discusses cover letters. Strongly recommend it to anyone else in here trying to really shape up their poo poo.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I have an interview Friday! Go me!

But the recruiter gave me this "compensation information" form the likes of which I've not seen before. It's asking for a breakdown of my current pay, dates of the last and next expected increase, and details about the bonus plan, equity compensation (stock options), other non-scheduled bonuses, and other benefits my current employer gives me. Even though a lot of this is not applicable to me, I don't even know if it's a good idea to fill this out.

This is for a systems analyst/business intelligence/senior computer janitor job, salaried, direct hire.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

IMJack posted:

Even though a lot of this is not applicable to me, I don't even know if it's a good idea to fill this out.

Don't fill any of it out. It's rubbish, and it's an excuse for them to game their offer less based on what you make now. Ask them the range for the position, tell them whether that's appropriate and don't let them play games. (Unless you really need this job and your BATNA is unemployment, in that case, sorry).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, how long does it usually take for people to get back to you after you send in an application? Been sending a lot out, but not hearing a lot back, other than rejections.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

So I had an interview a skype interview with a recruiter, its a reputable company, and it went well and she said that at this point that I have to do one more interview with the hiring manager for the company and that she needed to speak with her to see when she would be able to schedule me in. That was over a week ago and I've had no contact from the recruiter since, she also told me that she would be speaking with the hiring manager that week to see when she could schedule an interview. I have tried calling, left a voicemail and emailing and no response, I'm pretty sure I've been blown off. I only ask because I have an interview coming up that I am certain I am a lock for but it's also for a job I hate and the pay is slightly worse. Is there any reason for a recruiter to just drop contact like this?

I'm thinking about calling the corporate number and see if someone can connect me to her extension but I'm not sure thats a good idea.

Covok posted:

So, how long does it usually take for people to get back to you after you send in an application? Been sending a lot out, but not hearing a lot back, other than rejections.
It really depends on what you are applying for and how good a candidate you are and how desperate they are. I've submitted a resume and gotten a call back within days and had an interview that week. I also just got an email from a job I applied to over 6 months ago that they have passed on my resume.

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 22, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Id say youre doing them a favor by letting them know the clock is ticking and that if theyre interested they should poo poo or get off the pot. Theres lots of not-that-good-at-communication-despite-its-their-only-job recruiters

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Id say youre doing them a favor by letting them know the clock is ticking and that if theyre interested they should poo poo or get off the pot. Theres lots of not-that-good-at-communication-despite-its-their-only-job recruiters
Yeah I'm done with her and that staffing agency. I sent her a professionally worded email basically asking what the gently caress is going on. If I get the interview with the hiring manager great, if not I dont need to deal with a recruiter who cant even be bothered to do her job.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Oh jeez I probably should have mentioned that!

I'm applying for a lot of research coordinator/associate positions in a big city with a lot of healthcare companies and research institutes. Study design, participant communication, and data management. So the stuff I'm leaning on is, like, precisely what I'll be asked to do in those positions.

After that post I went back and forth between cover letter writing and resume editing and ended up with what I think is a much better version of both. I found this post on the Ask a Manager site that someone linked earlier and it's super helpful, especially the way it discusses cover letters. Strongly recommend it to anyone else in here trying to really shape up their poo poo.

At the very least, make sure to list that you're a native-fluent Arabic speaker and that you have experience with SPSS/statistical analysis software. Arabic skills are huge, and SPSS skills mean you could be trained on SAS (competing product, similar skillset) if that's what they use isntead. I'd put some context to it regardless, but those are both valuable skills to any number of companies/organizations, and they're the types of experience that few recent undergrads have.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
A friend of mine is going for an internal role in his organisation. Apparently they like to throw this out as a curveball:

"if you are not successful for the role who would you recommend for that position and why?"

I was going to give my opinion when I realised I probably have no idea realistically what a good thing to say in this case would be. Personally I would happily identify and sing the praises of the person I felt was next best qualified and why. My friends position is to mention the qualities but not the person which I think is realistically a bad idea.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

So I had an interview today and it didn't go very well at all (mostly because I have a cold and my head was full of fuzz instead of good answers) and now I'm having a dilemma about references. I can give them my boss from my previous job without any problems but I've only been at my current job for a few months. I do know one coworker who I could ask who I'm pretty sure would be cool with it and would be able to give me a good reference but I'm still wary of asking him when there's a significant chance I'm out of the running based on that interview and they won't be asking for my references in the first place. But I also don't want to be stuck scrambling to secretly ask him if they phone me tomorrow at work to ask for my references.

Are they likely to be cool if they phone and I give them only one name? Or if I give them a name and ask them to wait a bit while I organise a reference from my current job? Is it even important to have a reference from this job that I've only been at for a few months compared to one I was at for over a year? Or should I just suck it up and ask my coworker now and deal with him knowing I applied for another job even if I am out of the running?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Organza Quiz posted:

So I had an interview today and it didn't go very well at all (mostly because I have a cold and my head was full of fuzz instead of good answers) and now I'm having a dilemma about references. I can give them my boss from my previous job without any problems but I've only been at my current job for a few months. I do know one coworker who I could ask who I'm pretty sure would be cool with it and would be able to give me a good reference but I'm still wary of asking him when there's a significant chance I'm out of the running based on that interview and they won't be asking for my references in the first place. But I also don't want to be stuck scrambling to secretly ask him if they phone me tomorrow at work to ask for my references.

Are they likely to be cool if they phone and I give them only one name? Or if I give them a name and ask them to wait a bit while I organise a reference from my current job? Is it even important to have a reference from this job that I've only been at for a few months compared to one I was at for over a year? Or should I just suck it up and ask my coworker now and deal with him knowing I applied for another job even if I am out of the running?
You need more than one reference, but any sane employer isn't going to expect you to put a reference from your current job. Get more than one from your previous job, if at all possible.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That's actually pretty easy, I guess I just assumed that you should have one from your current job. This is the first time I've applied for something without the current employer knowing about it (various unusual situations).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

So something a little different. How detailed is "safe" to be on a letter of resignation? The reasons I'm leaving have nothing to do with the company or anyone in it but I do feel a very strong need to put it in there. Is that taking things too far? Should I just stick to a standard template and be done?