Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

I bought the soundtrack on cassette because why wouldn't I.

But what's this on the inside...?

It's a tree. Or is it an orb?

How far does this GO

Looks like the top down view of a mushroom cloud. :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

CJacobs posted:

Nadine Hurley's Patented Silent Drape Runners

;)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I assume Bobby will become more important as The Briggs Conspiracy heats up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alan_Shore posted:

I bought the soundtrack on cassette because why wouldn't I.

But what's this on the inside...?

It's a tree. Or is it an orb?

How far does this GO
:stare:

I swear to god, if this was planned from the early 90s...

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare:

I swear to god, if this was planned from the early 90s...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Frost had a bunch of notes on ideas of his that would only surface a little bit in the show, like the tip of an iceberg. Maybe that iceberg is rising up out of the sea.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
It's a donut.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Apple Craft posted:

It's a donut.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TheMaestroso posted:

The German waitress is more of a "remember that person" include than just about anyone in the new season, but even then her still working at the diner as a waitress tells you something about her character (what little there ever was).

I'm glad Heidi doesn't have trouble jump-starting the old man anymore. :colbert:

Apple Craft posted:

It's a donut.

The donuts are not what they seem, either. :tinfoil:

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

TheMaestroso posted:

E: ^ That's...actually an interesting idea.

Thanks!

You can use a pattern that already exists, design your own, or even knit on the fly (if you know what you're doing). I did a bit of a mix of planning out what I wanted while also adjusting things while knitting (most adjustments are in the curtains). If you would like to do one yourself, I can write up a pattern for you - just keep in mind that the organic shapes I'm getting for the curtains are from me feeling out where to adjust the pattern to get that slightly flowing look. Also, I'm using a technique for the stripes called intarsia in order to minimize yarn to weave in and to keep the front looking nice and clean.

Interested?

Yeah! Full disclosure, I've never knitted a thing in my life. I'm thinkin' of asking my girlfriend if she wants to tag-team it while teaching me how to do this stuff. Do you have pm's? I don't wanna keep derailing the thread.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Apple Craft posted:

It's a donut.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Apple Craft posted:

It's a donut.
Goddamnit, I'm ready to believe anything at this point haha

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm loving the show but part of me is glad to have a week off. There's a lot to take in esp. from #8 and it delays that moment where there's no new Twin Peaks again for a week

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Apple Craft posted:

It's a donut.

:tinfoil:

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I assume Bobby will become more important as The Briggs Conspiracy heats up.

Bobby also seems to be on the trail of Richard Horne and Magic Guy's drug operation, which we haven't seen anything from in a little bit.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/2rCr6kL.gifv

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Disturb

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TheMaestroso posted:

You can characterize people without involving them directly in the plot. What you're implying is that these characters are showing up like Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan in Rogue One. Cameos, basically.

These don't really count:

Bobby: He's now a cop, which means his father's vision about Bobby ending up okay and living a good life may have panned out. Also, Laura's death was such a huge thing for him that looking at her photo 25 years later causes him to choke up and practically start crying on the spot.

Mike: Like Bobby, he's got his poo poo together and has a proper job where he interviews other people for positions. He apparently also detests gently caress-ups, which is pretty amusing.

Ben: After everything that happened, he's still in the same place 25 years later, and avoiding having an affair with his secretary (though he clearly has those ideas, he's not acting on them like he used to). He's definitely settled himself a bit. Of course, there may be more going on than we know yet.

Jerry: Dude's chilling and making pot food on the regular and apparently owns a marijuana-related business. He also gets high and loses track of where he is. Also, he watches Dr. Amp ironically.

These kinda do, but only on the surface:

Norma: We've seen her with just Shelly so far, being kind of like a big sister to her and running the RR together. The RR is such a character in the series that showing it without also showing Norma (and even Shelly, for that matter) would've been strange. The German waitress is more of a "remember that person" include than just about anyone in the new season, but even then her still working at the diner as a waitress tells you something about her character (what little there ever was).

Nadine: With basically two short shots of her, it's similar to showing Norma - her presence so far relates to something else. In this case, all we know is that she loves watching Dr. Amp and she has a lot of fabric in her office, implying she may have started a business of her own. No Big Ed in sight is also interesting.

You forgot one.

James: Still cool.:cool:

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I rewatched FWWM recently and had completely forgotten that Bobby loving killed a guy.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Just happened to see the last ten minutes of the new episode again. I don't know how I missed it, but you can hear a horse right at the end after the woodsman walks into the darkness. It seems like every re-watch turns up new stuff with the new series. Very cool.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Breadallelogram posted:

I rewatched FWWM recently and had completely forgotten that Bobby loving killed a guy.

Lmao yeah. RIP mike

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hh7tUfUrHQ&t=154s

:tinfoil: I think Dr. Amp might be on to something

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Cephas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hh7tUfUrHQ&t=154s

:tinfoil: I think Dr. Amp might be on to something

Two coats of shiny gold not unlike the color of some orbs we've seen. :orb:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

wells are used to excavate otherwise inaccessible groundwater. perhaps the line from the woodsman's poem refers to the Trinity testing site as a 'well' connecting to the endless waters from the purple world

Ooh, I bet you're right!

quote:

This is the water, and this is the well.

Drink full, and descend.

The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I've been thinking about how Ray managed to have a gun and the gun in the glovebox that Dopplecoop grabs is useless, and hadn't seen this mentioned.

It seems like Dopplecoop and Ray have probably been in the car together since they left the prison. So there's no chance for Ray to swap the gun in the glovebox. So most likely the gun put in the glovebox was filled with useless bullets, and Ray must have been given a gun with real bullets before they left the prison. Since Ray is working with Jeffries, maybe Jeffries has enough influence to have arranged this so that Ray could assassinate Dopplecoop?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Section 9 posted:

I've been thinking about how Ray managed to have a gun and the gun in the glovebox that Dopplecoop grabs is useless, and hadn't seen this mentioned.

It seems like Dopplecoop and Ray have probably been in the car together since they left the prison. So there's no chance for Ray to swap the gun in the glovebox. So most likely the gun put in the glovebox was filled with useless bullets, and Ray must have been given a gun with real bullets before they left the prison. Since Ray is working with Jeffries, maybe Jeffries has enough influence to have arranged this so that Ray could assassinate Dopplecoop?

It's also entirely possible the prison warden didn't want to risk letting Doppelcoop live, gave Ray a bonus to kill him, and sabotaged the firearm.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

It's also entirely possible the prison warden didn't want to risk letting Doppelcoop live, gave Ray a bonus to kill him, and sabotaged the firearm.

yeah, the same people who set up dark-coop's gun also gave ray a gun. if ray had a gun, that means someone at the prison was on ray's side

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, I'm thinking:
  • Ray -- Warden and he spoke, conspired as treacherous men do.
  • Gun -- Firing pin was filed down.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You get alot of intertexuality for free when your core theme is americana. I'm rewatching the pilot and was all :O about a picture of abe lincolin in the high school being foreshadowing for the woodsman but then i was like oh yeah right.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
sherrif harry s truman being foreshadowing for the Bomb is great too.

god, S03E08 was the best episode in twin peaks imo. ties everything from the core mythos together

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its even right before a 4th of july break too

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

It aint even a midpoint of the season
10 more hours of uncut Lynch

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm beginning to credit stuff to frost too
Lynch + Frost = magic

I love almost everything lynch has done, but twin peaks is imo his finest work.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Frost isn't an artistic genius, no where in the same league as lynch.
One scene in the third season that I think is very lynch v frost is the police who come to see the apartment with the body with the severed head.
The police are super formulaic, frosty. But that large woman with the dog and the weird workman is the madness that is lynch. Lynch v frost is the mixture of the mundane and transcendental.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Yes, that's just as likely. But there seems to be so many conspiracies within conspiracies going on that someone higher up made the call on it.

On the subject of Lynch vs. Frost: I would love to be able to attribute Frost moments to Frost, but I really don't know anything that is a signature of his style. Is there anything that is a good example of Frost's work outside of his work with Lynch?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I actually don't want to know who the girl who ate the frog-bug is. I liked the whole scene as a spreading/revealing of corruption across a completely innocent looking town parallel to Twin Peaks. I'm not interested in the world building I guess.

i thought all the speculation on which adult character from seasons one and two was the future self of the 50's kids struck me as kinda funny because i just assumed there was no link between those people and twin peaks other than the supernatural events taking place. it was like a parallel to twin peaks, just like you said. even if he never shows that town or those people again, the scenes will have made their point. there's no need for additional information, it accomplished fully what it set out to do. world-building is cool, but it's not necessary here. it's connected enough already, with just what we've been told.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Section 9 posted:

Yes, that's just as likely. But there seems to be so many conspiracies within conspiracies going on that someone higher up made the call on it.

On the subject of Lynch vs. Frost: I would love to be able to attribute Frost moments to Frost, but I really don't know anything that is a signature of his style. Is there anything that is a good example of Frost's work outside of his work with Lynch?

The Secret History was written entirely by Frost, no Lynch involvement whatsoever that we know of, so if you want Twin Peaks without the Lynch filter it's as close as you'll get.

Gatekeeper posted:

i thought all the speculation on which adult character from seasons one and two was the future self of the 50's kids struck me as kinda funny because i just assumed there was no link between those people and twin peaks other than the supernatural events taking place. it was like a parallel to twin peaks, just like you said. even if he never shows that town or those people again, the scenes will have made their point. there's no need for additional information, it accomplished fully what it set out to do. world-building is cool, but it's not necessary here. it's connected enough already, with just what we've been told.

I disagree, I don't think they'd give us this much isolated information about the characters if they (or what happened to them) weren't important in some way. If they had shown multiple eggs, multiple frog roaches, multiple people being frog roached, I'd agree with you. How important, who knows yet, but I believe we'll hear more about them sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
so wally is dick tremayne's son, right? extremely pretentious and strange, despite having nothing to be proud for. please tell me there is a lot of evidence that this is wrong. andy is a good guy.