Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rabidsquid posted:

its too mana efficient and the wrong color. sea gate oracle didnt have enough toughness to be a horned turtle but it approaches peak horned turtle design

I'd say Benthic Infiltrator but having a good attacking ability disqualifies it. I guess the last good one was Armored Skaab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Calcite Snapper is the best Horned Turtle

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Brian Gottlieb (I think I've heard about him before) is the new GAM co-host.

spoilers :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

Brian Gottlieb (I think I've heard about him before) is the new GAM co-host.

He's a very good player.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you arrange a bunch of the cards right, you totally do get a disaster movie as each of the hours pass, and new cataclysms appear.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Chill la Chill posted:

There was that one guy that kept posting about how all the revealed cards would go into different edh decks.

Hour of Devastation has so far been one of the best sets for commander in a long time. Razaketh is so good that I'll be shocked if it isn't banned and Hour of Revelation is an instant staple

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I unfortunately don't care one bit about EDH.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Calcite Snapper is the best Horned Turtle

this for real, i love calcite snapper, that card is almost legacy playable

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
As someone who occasionally lightly skims the waters of MTG, I'll just say that this is the first time I've ever been remotely interested in the lore. The cards seem to be unusually evocative of a high concept action-fantasy plot. So that's something going for the set.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Flip Yr Wig posted:

As someone who occasionally lightly skims the waters of MTG, I'll just say that this is the first time I've ever been remotely interested in the lore. The cards seem to be unusually evocative of a high concept action-fantasy plot. So that's something going for the set.

Yeah Bolas zombies vs Phyrexians is something that I'm actually looking forward to.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yeah Bolas zombies vs Phyrexians is something that I'm actually looking forward to.

I'm glad this is accepted as fact now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Bolas rules in general and I'm sad his new Walker was so boring after his first one

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Agreed on the flavor of this set, I'm also very excited to go to dominaria. I've been playing a long time but not quite that long!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I think the most exciting thing about Amonkhet is that we're leaving

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lawnie posted:

Agreed on the flavor of this set, I'm also very excited to go to dominaria. I've been playing a long time but not quite that long!
I started with Amonkhet and I'm the opposite. Only thing I know is that it's kinda hosed post-Time Spiral, and I'm only mildly curious to see the post-post-apocalypse setting they've come up with.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

there better be homarids in Dominaria

there aren't going to be homarids in Dominaria

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Elyv posted:

there better be homarids in Dominaria

there aren't going to be homarids in Dominaria

I want a homarid planeswalker

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This set has a 6 mana wrath that might cost 3 sometimes, a 3 mana wrath with drawback, a 5 mana red board-cleaner, a planeswalker tutorman, Crucible Man, a one-sided Humility, Mana Leak and Impulse taped together, Fact or Ficti Sphinx lord, a cycle of own-color-hosers, a demon with a manaless tutor, and a horse lord.

If this set is weak they're at least trying some really weird poo poo, and I'd much rather they print really weird cards than just making marquee mythics really loving pushed like Avacyn or Emrakul.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This set has a 6 mana wrath that might cost 3 sometimes, a 3 mana wrath with drawback, a 5 mana red board-cleaner, a planeswalker tutorman, Crucible Man, a one-sided Humility, Mana Leak and Impulse taped together, Fact or Ficti Sphinx lord, a cycle of own-color-hosers, a demon with a manaless tutor, and a horse lord.

If this set is weak they're at least trying some really weird poo poo, and I'd much rather they print really weird cards than just making marquee mythics really loving pushed like Avacyn or Emrakul.

This, plus the curse that doubles all milling on your opponent.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 29, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I think the set looks kind of cool and I am interested to see what effects it has on standard.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I should add I'm interested a decent amount, for a small set, of cards for powered cube so it ain't all bad. Especially excited for magus of the crucible and might add more of a lands matter theme because of him/her (I forget).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

One of the cheaper Eternals, afaik e:Missed the discard

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Rinkles posted:

This card is great for limited, maybe good enough for standard if you can be pitching Honored Hydra or Fiery Temper or something

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I have this feeling this set will end up one of the most valuable in the long term sets of recent stuff, because people are going to want to play with all that poo poo and weird cards end up in random decks, whereas hyper-efficient pushed beater #234 isn't really a big deal in casual and rarely has much of an impact on deeper environments.

On the other hand man, those PO prices, dang. Just brutal.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lone Goat posted:

I'd say Benthic Infiltrator but having a good attacking ability disqualifies it. I guess the last good one was Armored Skaab.

armored skaab was a goddamn fantastic horned turtle, divorced from any context it was just a great value card but it was also an enabler in multiple fun deck types in draft.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rinkles posted:

This, and a handful of the other spoilers so far, seem like they're going to fly under the radar but end up being really good value down the line once folks have time to tinker with them.

Still kind of :meh: on some of the design decisions but some weird, possibly fun poo poo is a nice change of pace. AKH/AKH/HOD draft will still be aggro as hell, seems like.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i thought they were switching to single set draft format

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

rabidsquid posted:

i thought they were switching to single set draft format

Not until Dominaria next Spring, there's still Amonkhet and Ixalan as old-model two-set blocks to push out.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
we're all getting swerved and bolas is gonna invade kamigawa to steal O-Kagachi to restore his super planewalker powers

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

in a further swerve bolas plans are indefinitely delayed by a single waxmane baku

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

AKH/AKH/HOD draft will still be aggro as hell, seems like.

Should be H/H/A, no?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

Should be H/H/A, no?

yea, also that guy is dumb for making broad assumptions without many of the commons spoiled

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
And also no one likes double small one large draft, either, which is why they're going to triple large for every set.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

I have this feeling this set will end up one of the most valuable in the long term sets of recent stuff, because people are going to want to play with all that poo poo and weird cards end up in random decks, whereas hyper-efficient pushed beater #234 isn't really a big deal in casual and rarely has much of an impact on deeper environments.

On the other hand man, those PO prices, dang. Just brutal.

Having a bunch of playable efficient beaters is important. EDH staples aren't going to drive people to crack packs or draft, since you only need one of them. Having a bunch of playable cards means there are money opens, which means people want to draft more, it's an important cycle. Perhaps more importantly, it injects new cards to change the meta, something standard needs. Whiffing hard on this set after a bunch of repeated bans is just brutal.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

sit on my Facebook posted:

You guys are much too pessimistic. There are an about average number of standard-worthy cards already spoiled for this set. Just at a glance and ignoring anything cute;

Black Desert
Hollow One
Unesh
Nicol Bolas
Locust God
Adorned Pouncer
Hour of Revelation
Solemnity
Ammit Eternal
Earthshaker Khenra
Ramunap Excavator
Grind to Dust
Hostile Desert
Potentially any of the Defeat cycle
Supreme Will
Abrade
Crook of Condemnation
Claim to Fame

There are several others that become quite good if their particular niche becomes a legit strategy like deserts or -1/-1 counters

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
My guess is that a lot of stuff from this set won't enter Standard until rotation, as it has always been and will be until the end of time.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I think this set will be fun to draft, and I look forward to drafting it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've never bought one before but I thought the Planeswalker decks came out prerelease weekend. PO says 14th for the pair I had ordered for me.

Was my store selling ahead of street date or something stupid?

DariusLikewise posted:

My guess is that a lot of stuff from this set won't enter Standard until rotation, as it has always been and will be until the end of time.
Pardoning major outliers like Necropotence and Jace the Mind Sculptor, is there much of a precedent for that actually happening? I feel like most stuff is kept down by general power level and not by specific cards suppressing them, and power level tends to remain consistent.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Bugging for Deck Help again. I pulled a Nissa, Steward of Elements from an Amonkhet pack, so I'm trying to figure out what to do with her. Aiming for Standard. This is what I have so far:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/free-handouts-1/

In testing it has ALMOST worked once. I think I'm maybe a little bit too split focus with trying to run both As Foretold & Nissa, since they do similar things but in slightly different ways. My idea here is that I get some stuff to be able to get free cards from my hand & the top of my deck, using combos with Scrying, counter doubling, ramping from the mana dumping, and hand drawing cards. I think I'm close but I think it's a bit too unfocused. Any help would be appreciated, including telling me "this deck is garbage sorry" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

I've never bought one before but I thought the Planeswalker decks came out prerelease weekend. PO says 14th for the pair I had ordered for me.

Was my store selling ahead of street date or something stupid?
Pardoning major outliers like Necropotence and Jace the Mind Sculptor, is there much of a precedent for that actually happening? I feel like most stuff is kept down by general power level and not by specific cards suppressing them, and power level tends to remain consistent.

They can sell to people during the prerelease events. After prerelease weekend they can't sell them again until the set comes out.