Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Internet Explorer posted:

If this is directed at me, the software requires SMBv1 for pretty much everything. Not sure what you mean by "let the admin install and enable," unless you mean that Windows Server should install with SMBv1 disabled by default, in which case I would agree.

Yeah, that's what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean.

I think they really should do that with any older components. If you have a new version of something, allow and support old versions on some lifecycle timeline, but users should have to go out of their way to turn on the old stuff.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Can't a GPO be put in place to disable it, then you'd manually turn it on on servers that *actually* need it? Genuinely wondering, I know nothing about AD administration.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Furism posted:

Can't a GPO be put in place to disable it, then you'd manually turn it on on servers that *actually* need it? Genuinely wondering, I know nothing about AD administration.

Oh yeah, you absolutely can. In my specific case this is a main line of business app and if the server gets hit we're pretty much down anyways.

Needless to say the app has been on my "to replace" list since I started working for the company.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Ganson posted:

...I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, where's the anger coming from? I realize there are regular dangerous vulnerabilities in Linux (we don't use Samba). We have an aggressive patching program and various other layers of defense in depth I'd rather not announce on an open forum.

But Microsoft is the market leader (especially on the end user side) and as such is the biggest target for bad actors and their ilk. Microsofts not always great transparency and sometimes questionable choices for defaults are something I'm happy to avoid. Distros have the same issue at times too (and Linus regularly getting into pissing contests with people doesn't help) but since they're all competing with basically the same code bases if one distro misses something another may pick it up (or a researcher with access to the source code may find it). I'd rather deal with that then smb-worm-of-the-week.

Please quit your job as a sysadmin if this is how you think. You'd be better off serving tacos to me during lunch than being in control of a corporate network.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Ganson posted:

We have an aggressive patching program and various other layers of defense in depth I'd rather not announce on an open forum.

lol please elaborate cos this sounds like comedy gold

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rufus Ping posted:

lol please elaborate cos this sounds like comedy gold

http://strongdigitaldefense.tripod.com

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Good news is the next big Windows 10 update in the fall will be disabling SMBv1 by default.

Hopefully there'll be a similar change in a contemporary Server 2016 update.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

If this is directed at me, the software requires SMBv1 for pretty much everything. Not sure what you mean by "let the admin install and enable," unless you mean that Windows Server should install with SMBv1 disabled by default, in which case I would agree.
I thought SMBv1 was disabled by default in 2012R2? But maybe not? It's supposed to be removed from some flavors of Windows 10/2016 as of the Creators Update release, according to a blog post from last year.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

anthonypants posted:

I thought SMBv1 was disabled by default in 2012R2? But maybe not? It's supposed to be removed from some flavors of Windows 10/2016 as of the Creators Update release, according to a blog post from last year.

Not by default, no.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Good news is the next big Windows 10 update in the fall will be disabling SMBv1 by default.

Hopefully it won't introduce other dumb issues like "DHCP breaks" or "your webcam doesn't work anymore" and what not that we've seen with random patch Tuesdays/new builds with 10.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sheep posted:

Hopefully it won't introduce other dumb issues like "DHCP breaks" or "your webcam doesn't work anymore" and what not that we've seen with random patch Tuesdays/new builds with 10.

I really hope disabling SMBv1 breaks something completely unrelated, actually.

Discover random dependencies the fun way.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Disabling SMBv1 now enables ransomware

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Disabling SMBv1 now enables ransomware

Cool thanks for the link and explanation.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cool thanks for the link and explanation.

Disabling SMBv1 now also disables your ability to get jokes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm angry about Windows! :commissar:

(Sorry, I'm dumb.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm angry about Windows! :commissar:

We all are, friend. We all are :(:hf::(

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Windows makes me want to defenestrate my computer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Double Punctuation posted:

Windows makes me want to defenestrate my computer.

This should be standard practice at least once every few years

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Windows is good and cool.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CLAM DOWN posted:

Windows is good and cool.

For throwing Microsoft products out of.

Also apple products and linux systems.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Give everyone just switches to control a CPU manually.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Lain Iwakura posted:

Give everyone just switches to control a CPU manually.

Yeah but Minecraft runs on a computer already so what do you suggest?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SeaborneClink posted:

Babbage difference engines in every home!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All firewalls should run on Minecraft Redstone. It's the only layer abstract enough.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

All firewalls should run on Minecraft Redstone. It's the only layer abstract enough.

People brag about making computers inside Minecraft, but who has managed to make malware?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
At least one Minecraft modder, I'm pretty sure.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure Minecraft is the malware.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

uhhh ~~nintendo switch~~

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kassad posted:

I do remember reading about a Minecraft mod author who left a backdoor in their mod that would give them admin access, which was discovered when they used it to unban themselves from some other person's server. I don't remember any names though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kassad posted:

I was well aware that this incident would be brought up but I meant inside it. Making malware for Minecraft is like making a computer for Minecraft, instead of inside it. Not as impressive, and probably not the kind of guy you want to hang out with.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Probably a dumb question but here goes. I run a AWS EC2 instance running Moodle. I want to enable HTTPS with SSL cert. I've consulted the documentation for my image. Now, the simplest route that I can see is to buy a yearly SSL cert from something like this and then follow the directions in the docs to copy the cert, enable permissions, etc. Is this correct? Is there another option I should be looking at?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Probably a dumb question but here goes. I run a AWS EC2 instance running Moodle. I want to enable HTTPS with SSL cert. I've consulted the documentation for my image. Now, the simplest route that I can see is to buy a yearly SSL cert from something like this and then follow the directions in the docs to copy the cert, enable permissions, etc. Is this correct? Is there another option I should be looking at?

https://letsencrypt.org/

e: Specifically, certbot should help with the installation of the certificate and automating renewals. Plus it's free.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
There should be a note about Let's Encrypt in the OP, besides the link with outdated text that says nothing about what it does. Never spend money on DV certificates.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Perfect, thanks yall.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you put your instance behind CloudFront then you can use a free AWS cert.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you put your instance behind CloudFront then you can use a free AWS cert.

Yeah, but then you still need to encrypt the CloudFront->EC2 connection, which happens over the public internet.

AWS's cert management is great if it matches what you want to do, and don't mind the lock-in, but it is very opinionated about where you terminate SSL.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Or behind an Elastic Loadbalancer, which is easier (and I think comparably cheap). You just have to prove you own the domain (easiest way is to have a postmaster@domain.com address to get an email on).

e: Also yes that would terminate SSL on the load balancer, same as the Cloudfront version.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
What does this mean, which is the advice given by WhatsApp when backing up to Google Drive:

"Important: Media and messages you back up are not protected by WhatsApp end-to-end encryption while in Google Drive."

Also found on this page:
https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/28000019

Does it mean that WhatsApp are simply no longer in control of the encrypted message archive that Google now holds, or does it mean that Google now has an archive of the messages in plaintext?

EDIT:
---

apropos man fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

apropos man posted:

What does this mean, which is the advice given by WhatsApp when backing up to Google Drive:

"Important: Media and messages you back up are not protected by WhatsApp end-to-end encryption while in Google Drive."

Also found on this page:
https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/28000019

Does it mean that WhatsApp are simply no longer in control of the encrypted message archive that Google now holds, or does it mean that Google now has an archive of the messages in plaintext?

EDIT:
---

Messages are backed up in plain text iirc