Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Carol should be in everything. Make Carol the new Shovel Knight who is the new Dante who is the new Knuckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

SatansBestBuddy posted:

*whew* and here I was last page thinking she was opening up a frank and honest discussion

nope she's loving around with him

in the tomo-verse if you have a frank and honest discussion you die

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I knew from the number of posts something good had to have happened.

JunxCaroline is happening.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sakurazuka posted:

*banging knife and fork on table* NTR! NTR!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Awwww yiss, shenanigans

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko: :siren: SOMETHING HAPPENED :siren:

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Guy Goodbody posted:

it's not NTR if there's no actual relationship to begin with

If NTR only applied to established relationships its fans wouldn't be able to relate.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

This'll all end with Japan's first five-way marriage. :toot:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko: Carol is Powerful

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I will never cease to be fascinated by the complete and utter terror anime/manga fans have of NTR. I have a very difficult time even thinking of any mainstream titles where something that could be defined as NTR actually occurs, yet the mere presence of a male character other than the protagonist speaking with a potential love interest causes the comments section to be flooded by people completely flipping their poo poo ("OH GOD IF THERE'S NTR I'M DROPPING THIS!!!").

I genuinely do not understand the response. I'm imagining that every single one of these folks must have PTSD from walking in on their S/O in the middle of a gang-bang or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
People are dumb reactionary idiots, news at 11

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's a meme, like every other reaction that comes from people having doujins on the brain. but then, what becomes popular in doujin culture has a way of squirming into popular titles, so we'll see~

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

I will never cease to be fascinated by the complete and utter terror anime/manga fans have of NTR. I have a very difficult time even thinking of any mainstream titles where something that could be defined as NTR actually occurs, yet the mere presence of a male character other than the protagonist speaking with a potential love interest causes the comments section to be flooded by people completely flipping their poo poo ("OH GOD IF THERE'S NTR I'M DROPPING THIS!!!").

I genuinely do not understand the response. I'm imagining that every single one of these folks must have PTSD from walking in on their S/O in the middle of a gang-bang or something.

We are in the age of cuck. Do not try to resist it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is probably more likely to appear in manga made by people who previously drew hentai (like this one), but this is tomo-chan. nothing is gonna happen.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
im genuinely astonished that people flip their poo poo at something that has been the cornerstone of bad soap operas and telenovelas for decades

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I Was Reborn in a New World Where Nerd are Freaked Out by Stories of Betrayal by People They Trust!

Man, these isekai novel names just get more and more obvious.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Removing my tongue from my cheek for a second, I don't see why it's a puzzle that a group of people that are usually treated as outcasts and bullied throughout school don't like stories where someone the mc (sometimes an audience stand-in) is betrayed by someone they trust. :shrug:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I Was Reborn in a New World Where Nerd are Freaked Out by Stories of Betrayal by People They Trust!

Man, these isekai novel names just get more and more obvious.

Well, actual betrayal is one thing, but "the mere possibility that betrayal could technically occur" isn't quite the same thing. I can understand people getting bothered by when NTR/betrayal actually occurs, but it's another thing entirely to preemptively expect it, especially in a genre where it's virtually guaranteed to not actually occur.

I agree with the guy who said it's a meme. It feels like "NTR fear" wasn't really a thing (at least in the sense of a bunch of people specifically referring to it by the Japanese acronym) until several years ago.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah, agreed on the "don't freak out if it doesn't happen" bit.

E: I've dropped my fair share of manga because they use the rote "guy and girl like each other, but OH NO HE SLEEPS WITH ANOTHER GIRL!!!!"

It's dumb and overdone if nothing new is added.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Ytlaya posted:

I agree with the guy who said it's a meme. It feels like "NTR fear" wasn't really a thing (at least in the sense of a bunch of people specifically referring to it by the Japanese acronym) until several years ago.

this is kinda what i wanted to get at but lack a way with words and ideas to say it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I always assumed NTR panic was tongue in cheek hyperbole, but I guess my heart has never been scarred.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ytlaya posted:

I can understand people getting bothered by when NTR/betrayal actually occurs, but it's another thing entirely to preemptively expect it, especially in a genre where it's virtually guaranteed to not actually occur.

Didn't the Tomo-chan author specialize in NTR stories when writing doujins, though? I thought I'd read that earlier in the thread.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
What's NTR?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Paracelsus posted:

Didn't the Tomo-chan author specialize in NTR stories when writing doujins, though? I thought I'd read that earlier in the thread.

fumita's got his fetish bases covered, let's say that much

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with our Girl Carol getting some action, but I'm not sure why people would be bothered by that.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Help me friends, google gives me an Indian actor and counter strike slang.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

drilldo squirt posted:

Help me friends, google gives me an Indian actor and counter strike slang.

It's (generally) an abbreviation of Netorare, which is when the protagonist's love interest is stolen away by someone else. Since the audience tends to identify closest with the protagonist (especially in the case when they're narrating), it can have negative effects on their emotional state.

Edit: Strictly speaking, they probably have to be in a relationship first for it to be proper NTR.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 30, 2017

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
These people have pretty boring lives I imagine.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

The development code name for the Nintendo DS system, or rather, the abbreviation used internally in serial numbers for its code name "Nitro"

edit: i'll actually back it up

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 30, 2017

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

no he prefers gang rape

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

That thing you do after a workout.

Fortunately it appears that I was correct enough that I don't have to follow through. For now.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Actual NTR I don't think I've ever seen, but NTR-scares (the is he/she cheating on me arc) I've seen occasionally and they're pretty much all forced drama or a ham-fisted lesson on trust.

Usually when people bring it up it's just a meme to make fun of the kind of person who screams NTR every time a male character is introduced.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

darkgray posted:

It's (generally) an abbreviation of Netorare, which is when the protagonist's love interest is stolen away by someone else. Since the audience tends to identify closest with the protagonist (especially in the case when they're narrating), it can have negative effects on their emotional state.

Edit: Strictly speaking, they probably have to be in a relationship first for it to be proper NTR.

So it's cheating, but sometimes not even as bad because there's no relationship to begin with.

Cheating's also super common in real life and in fiction so that seems to be a real pathetic thing to get hung up over.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Two Tone Shoes posted:

So it's cheating, but sometimes not even as bad because there's no relationship to begin with.

Cheating's also super common in real life and in fiction so that seems to be a real pathetic thing to get hung up over.

It's not quite so clean cut, as the love interest teeeends to be stolen by force, if you catch my drift.

The whole thing is tied into weird kinks about humiliation and powerlessness that I am super glad I don't understand

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Carol is Not Crash

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like she's stronger than a bear cub.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Good.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
On that day Jun realized the true power of a spiteful fluff.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010