Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Redmark posted:

How does anyone do a world conquest? Once you're in a good position it's like 100 wars' worth of busywork... I just end up looking at the save and closing the game in disgust.

Very tediously. It is not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AnoHito posted:

As a note, I have a path from the southern tip of India to Constantinople that's pretty much all one province across.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Linear Zoetrope posted:

A high tolerance for tedium.

Honestly, I have the same issue with like, Najdi Jihad.

I still want to do a Byzantine -> Reform Rome game, but I know it'd take a bunch of aborted attempts and take forever.

Roman Empire really isn't THAT bad once you get into a dominant position. Byz isn't super great for it though, I'd rather do France or Austria or even Castille/Aragon. It's nowhere near as tedious as WC anyway.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
so I'm doing a Muscovy run with the latest patch and it's going very well so far -- Poland rejected the union, Lithuania's ruler died and I intervened to PU them

I border the Ottomans, they're the only world power with more development than me, my only other eligible rival is France

...yet inexplicably I can't rival the Ottomans :psyduck: and also Ming has Central Asia tributaried so I'll probably have to become a Ming tributary to expand much further east lol

I'll post a screenshot in a few

edit: it's pretty fun how I can't expand eastward because most nations east of the Urals are Ming tributaries :downs:

fix your poo poo Paradox

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 29, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
how the hell do i embed an imgur post now

need help in my non 3rd rome no Mandate of Heaven xpacs Muscovy to Russia game

-7 dip per month seems less than ideal...

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 29, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you hover of the image on imgur there's an option to get Share Links. You want the one with [ img ] tags but you'll need to modify them by hand to make them [ timg ] tags

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Well, I don't see how I can in good conscience dismantle the HRE now.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Thats like the time i released Leon in a war and they took over half of iberia and started colonizing the world and I thought, yeah, that's pretty nice

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

edit: it's pretty fun how I can't expand eastward because most nations east of the Urals are Ming tributaries :downs:

fix your poo poo Paradox

I think you pretty much need to become a Tributary to Ming, carve up whoever is in your way, and then ally with another Tributary(ies) that has high Liberty Desire, then bring everyone into a war and force them to give up their tributaries.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

skasion posted:

Roman Empire really isn't THAT bad once you get into a dominant position. Byz isn't super great for it though, I'd rather do France or Austria or even Castille/Aragon. It's nowhere near as tedious as WC anyway.

Well, the point of the Byzantines was more that it's cute that the Byzantines reclaim their old empire. I watched a timelapse of it once and it looked pretty awful, tbh, but I love the idea so much.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Well, the point of the Byzantines was more that it's cute that the Byzantines reclaim their old empire. I watched a timelapse of it once and it looked pretty awful, tbh, but I love the idea so much.

Belisarius II: Iberia Delenda Est

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Linear Zoetrope posted:

There's also the older Rome achievement, which basically just requires you to consolidate the Eastern roman empire (it doesn't tag switch you or anything)

I'm still in the middle of a Byzantium run that I've been playing very slowly, it's pretty fun after you've gotten your cores back in the first war. That pushes Ottomans into a death spiral and then you're free to expand in all directions at once. I want to go for Rome into HRE

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, I've gotten Basileus, but it took me a while. And it was well before Mare Nostrum so Rome wasn't really an option. It's more the idea of going through Basileus again that hurts me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

yeah gently caress that, that start is too much of a hassle

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Sephyr posted:

What are the Italian provinces needed to avoid Shadow Empire, and what is the deadline? All sources I see can't seem to agree.

There's a national decision to do it, and you can mouseover it to see a list of the provinces required.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Okay here's my Muscovy game so far. It's going well other than the fact that the Ottomans are terrifying. Poland declined the union with Lithuania, then I contested the succession so Lithuania is my loyal subject.

For whatever reason I can't rival the Ottomans despite having poor relations with them, being allied to two of their rivals, and neighboring them. My only valid rival is France :thunk:

Nogai and Chagatai are Ming tributaries so expanding into Central Asia will be fun :shepface:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Okay here's my Muscovy game so far. It's going well other than the fact that the Ottomans are terrifying. Poland declined the union with Lithuania, then I contested the succession so Lithuania is my loyal subject.

For whatever reason I can't rival the Ottomans despite having poor relations with them, being allied to two of their rivals, and neighboring them. My only valid rival is France :thunk:

Nogai and Chagatai are Ming tributaries so expanding into Central Asia will be fun :shepface:

It might be because of institutions. Once they embrace the current one and join you at 100% tech cost, you might be able to rival them

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

lmao wtf Paradox.

Have you considered becoming a Tributary so you could eat some Nogai and Chagatai land?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 29, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lmao wtf Paradox.

Have you considered becoming a Tributary so I could eat some Nogai and Chagatai land?

Yeah that's probably what I'll have to do. But, after I beat up Ottos because they're getting out of hand.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah that's probably what I'll have to do. But, after I beat up Ottos because they're getting out of hand.
Damnit you caught my typo, can you tell that I am hungry?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am doing a muscovy game too and poland turned down the PU with Lithuania. It's 1504 and there's no more Lithuania, I ate 80% of it (a few provinces were sniped by Crimea, livonian order and poland) along with novgorod and all the Finland area, and of course the Russian minors. The hordes are getting big but not for long, I have to take a break from Europe now so Kazan is my next target now that I have some religious ideas to convert their lands. Can't wait for deus vult and admin 10 for those sweet permanent claims.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does anyone ever use a starting date other than the 1444 one?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

The 1776 one for that sweet cheevo.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I unified Islam in 1690 as Ottomans. Guess I'll go for Sultan of Rum now. It's too bad I'll have to backstab the Commonwealth who are my bffs, but they're the second leading power and need to be taken down a notch.

It's really annoying playing a giant conqueror without Exploration or Religious ideas. I can't reliably find enemy territory (I've been eating Spain and Portugal) and there are a lot of empty spaces that only I have access to now. And I've had to use claims for almost every war I've gotten into. I can't really do without the Deus Vult CB.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is a great opportunity to practice getting good with Reconquest CBs. Scan around for dead or nearly-dead nations that you can vassalize or release and that also have a large number of cores (at least 5) owned by other nations. Persia is a superb choice if they don't exist already

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Persia, Muscovy, Novgorod, anything with a lot of du jure territory that you can return cores to - reconquest is nusto good and any time you can abuse it you have the chance to gain a ton of land for virtually nothing.

Just be ready to spend many decades annexing a choice vassal after you've returned dozens of cores to them.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

This is a great opportunity to practice getting good with Reconquest CBs. Scan around for dead or nearly-dead nations that you can vassalize or release and that also have a large number of cores (at least 5) owned by other nations. Persia is a superb choice if they don't exist already

Good point, I'll try that. I think I'm going to need it for conquering Russia, because my AE with Europe is already at the breaking point.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
The moment I realised vassals would fabricate claims on provinces I mark as of interest was huge for me, so drat useful.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I painted this beautiful map in my Kinslayer game (started as Ryazan). I hope you like it.

Lately I've taken to enveloping my foes like an amoeba to jealously insure that no, this will be my tasty meal. It also slows institution development, potentially. I discovered the hard way that if you're nestled in a little hate-envelope, you're going to be getting those institutions looooooong after the rest of Europe. I'd only gotten Colonialism and the Printing Press perhaps a decade or two before Global trade appeared.

Also, yes, Mega-Yarkand is a Ming tributary and the AI seems to be going for the Shahanshah achievement down in Persia.

On a side note, I was hoping to get the Breaking the Yoke achievement this run, but the Ottomans nabbed Crimea. I think I'm just going to have to eat as much of Europe as I can as I wait for Janissary Decadence to fire.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
So I've recently been trying for Gothic Invasion.

My last attempt, before it went downhill. Spent a ton of money on spawning rebels in Muscovy, which went into a death spiral. Then I jumped on and grabbed a bunch of territory. Then Hungary declared on me, and I accidentally clicked bankruptcy instead of raise wartaxes :shepicide:

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Dance Officer posted:

So I've recently been trying for Gothic Invasion.

My last attempt, before it went downhill. Spent a ton of money on spawning rebels in Muscovy, which went into a death spiral. Then I jumped on and grabbed a bunch of territory. Then Hungary declared on me, and I accidentally clicked bankruptcy instead of raise wartaxes :shepicide:

Sounds like a good time for the game to mysteriously crash.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's nice that there's a button for declaring bankruptcy, but maybe it should be hidden away a little better. It seems like it's gonna lead to a lot of accidental bankruptcies, compared to the number of times it's actually used on purpose.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Doesn't it ask for confirmation like everything else? If it doesn't I'll get that fixed

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The king of Hungary's hand hovers over the bill his parliament had given him. His eyesight's been failing lately, and he's not quite sure if it says "mo' money" or "no money".

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

no, money!!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I think I have finally determined the optimal route to WC as Frisia/East Frisia => Earliest possible Netherlands without futzing around in the HRE. I'm about halfway through this HC run and more than on course to make it happen, despite the aforementioned snag I ran into with my 7 legitimacy ruler being unable to complete Court and Country without abusing a forever-rebel-province until his strong heir can replace him.

Nothing has gone particularly right outside of a shared dynasty with Austria (which has yet to have a weak/no heir situation the whole game), but it doesn't particularly matter since Netherlands play is probably the lowest-variance undertaking in the whole game - really only a Ming-led coalition can throw a wrench in your gears once you abandon Europe (and I tend to play without Mandate enabled so tributaries don't totally gently caress any Trade Company endeavors). European nations, even the ones that rival you, are almost never going to bother interacting with you at all, since no one really wants your lands and you're going to have relatively large colonial allies relatively quickly. The worldwide coalitions of random people I've pissed off have started rapidly forming and disbanding, so maybe it's time to bump my troop count up another 80-150k to discourage such behavior, but otherwise I think this could end up being my first HC WC.

godihopeidontfuckthisup

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 1, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I Love You! posted:

I think I have finally determined the optimal route to WC as Frisia/East Frisia => Earliest possible Netherlands without futzing around in the HRE. I'm about halfway through this HC run and more than on course to make it happen, despite the aforementioned snag I ran into with my 7 legitimacy ruler being unable to complete Court and Country without abusing a forever-rebel-province until his strong heir can replace him.

Nothing has gone particularly right outside of a shared dynasty with Austria (which has yet to have a weak/no heir situation the whole game), but it doesn't particularly matter since Netherlands play is probably the lowest-variance undertaking in the whole game - really only a Ming-led coalition can throw a wrench in your gears once you abandon Europe (and I tend to play without Mandate enabled so tributaries don't totally gently caress any Trade Company endeavors). European nations, even the ones that rival you, are almost never going to bother interacting with you at all, since no one really wants your lands and you're going to have relatively large colonial allies relatively quickly. The worldwide coalitions of random people I've pissed off have started rapidly forming and disbanding, so maybe it's time to bump my troop count up another 80-150k to discourage such behavior, but otherwise I think this could end up being my first HC WC.

godihopeidontfuckthisup

Why/How abandon Europe as the Netherlands? You've got a decent number of HRE cores.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

LLSix posted:

Why/How abandon Europe as the Netherlands? You've got a decent number of HRE cores.

Because there's really no need whatsoever to mess around and piss off the HRE members when you have close proximity to sub-saharan Africa and can hopscotch from there to the Pacific while slapping down a dominant navy. The less I've messed around in Europe the less I've had to care about manpower and relations and it's easy to be capped exclusively by Overextension as the Netherlands. Getting booted from the HRE when you form Netherlands is annoying and I know a lot of people delay it but ultimately I don't really think there's any reason to stick around and mess with Europe at all anyway.

Ultimately, it boils down to Dutch ideas and the Dutch Bank decision letting you get -.2 inflation without spending any idea or advisor slots, giving you maximum incentive to rely on Gold Mines and boosted Trade Companies for income/mercs.

Sub-sahara has tons of gold and ivory and enough diversity in nations that you can almost continuously war between there and Mexico early on. You absolutely need to lock down these areas early because the Netherlands has abysmal Manpower and very few good ways to raise it early - but that's ok, as they can support themselves almost entirely by mercs due to their wealth if they snag these mines. While you'll want to take Quantity eventually, not having to do so early gives you a lot of flexibility - especially if you want to take Plutocracy while you're still a Republic (assuming you started as Frisia). By the time you're ready to move beyond these areas you should have adjacency to Kilwa/East Africa and the Pacific nations. All these nations have garbage tech and offer tons of wealth, giving much more significant rewards than a war in Europe proper would yield at this stage of the game. On top of that they help you set up trade companies early, and since you have no guarantee of snagging >50% of the English Channel's trade power it doesn't hurt to have dozens of merchants collecting from nodes all around the world.

But even more important is that focusing on trade companies from the very start allows you to rapidly build Absolutism as soon as the age begins (since trade companies have 0 min Autonomy, they give the easiest route to quickly and freely building Absolutism). Having as many theaters for expanding trade companies early on means that once the age fires you can start taking advantage of the bonuses right away, fire Court and Country as early as possible, and get that sweet +20 Absolutism cap modifier, which, assuming you've done the right thing and gone Monarchy when the Netherlands gov't event fires, gives you a respectable max cap to then put to use in dense regions like Europe that you've left untouched until now.

The only parts of Europe I find worth contesting early as the Netherlands are Iberia and the British Isles, and those only when something destabilizes them early on. Everything else, if you leave well enough alone, you stay almost completely insulated from any European powers and can always roll in later when the HRE has mostly collapsed to scoop up those cores (which aren't a part of your home trade node anyway for the most part, if I remember correctly).

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 1, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, what have been your most successful / most enjoyable games?

I have a few and I'm the mood to brag:

#1 - Naples to Italy ("not just pizza" run, also WAY better than Mussolini and 100 years earlier :italy: )

Starting out as Naples isn't as tough as it may seem, getting support independence from two of Austria/France/Castille will get you independent and with your sicilian cores very early. What's tough is the slog that follows: Naples has horrible ideas and isn't really in a position to become a major player immediately, so I made a run for the Balkan minors before anybody could gobble them up, then punched the Pope in the dick to build up my powerbase before Shadow Empire fired, then went to town on northern Italy after becoming Protestant. Once you form Italy and buddy up with another big power of your choice, you're pretty much unstoppable though.

The end result (not pictured: owning all of Mexico, Colombia, Caribbean and half of Brazil):

#2 - Ethiopia, or the power of Copts ("Prester John" run)

Ethiopia is a great start, once you conquer the Horn of Africa and lock down the Cape to prevent the Euros from getting to the indian ocean early, there's nothing stopping you from rampaging all over central/southern Africa and grabbing a ton of sweet trade from India / Spice Islands. Biggest roadblock are the Mamluks early on and the Ottomans after that, but as you can see, you can gently caress them pretty hard.

#3 - Poland can into space
Pretty straightforward, really. Stack cavalry combat bonuses, trample everything under your hooves of death. Knowing Austria felt threatened by me was so :allears:

#4 - Morocco to Andalusia
This one's a little tricky. You really, really have to gently caress over the Iberians before they become powerful. I did that by attacking Tlemcen early and annexing their ally Granada to have a foothold there, then going into huge debt to fund an army big enough to beat down Castile and grab as much as you can from them, took three-four wars to reduce them to a non-threat. You can snowball incredibly hard as soon as you get access to central Africa through that one uncolonized province south of you.

#5 - Japan
Unite Japan -> Become Ming tributary -> Eat all other tributaries until you're basically Russia -> win (look at that Lithuania! Also I had a random new world here to try it out, turns out it was great because it was skewed towards my end of the pacific so I could grab most of it before the Euros and steer that trade into Nippon)

#6 - France starting in 1453

Why 1453? Well, because you have cores on all of Brittany's land, for starters. Then, because Styria starts split off from Austria and is a weak Emperor that won't be able to do poo poo to you, allowing you to rampage all over the HRE with impunity. I lucked upon a claim on Castile's throne, enforced a PU on them, then spent the whole game beating the crap out of everyone until the HRE was disbanded, the Ottomans killed, Castile integrated... I had literally everybody around me at -300 AE with me but they couldn't do anything about it :v:

#7 - Ternate to Indonesia

Sadly I don't have a screenshot of this, but it's piss easy: grab Tidore for that +3 goods produced modifier, this togheter with your own +3 modifier gives you a real solid income for an OPM, colonize Sulawesi, the Philippines and everything around you for huge amounts of free development then eat Brunei, Pasai etc. I could've formed Malaya easily but I rather liked the yellow fluo color.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Neapolitan ideas got buffed and are actually fairly decent now.

I'm in the middle of a Taungu run which has so far gone amazingly well. Ayutthaya has been my BFF for ages and I'm about to culture shift to Bengali so I can form Baharat. I'm hoping to be able to murder Ming some time though I've only done it as a horde so I'm slightly concerned.

The Bengal trade node is loving nuts, I'm making something like 12 ducats a month in trade and I only have 50% trade power.

• Locked thread