Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Trier posted:

Hello. I'm saving up for a synth and doing some research in advance so I know exactly how much I need to save up.

If you need to save up it might not be a good idea to start buying hardware synths. It's only for people who have buckets of money to burn. Trust me on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This might seem obvious, maybe not. I can't tell from your answer; you'll likely need monitors/speakers, or some sort of way of listening to your work, as a lot of these hardware synths just have a few audio out jacks, and no internal speakers.

The Arturia Minibrute has a MIDI USB thingie so you can hook it up to your computer, and I have some very decent sennheiser headphones.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If you need to save up it might not be a good idea to start buying hardware synths. It's only for people who have buckets of money to burn. Trust me on this.

The Minibrute is only 3000 of my local currency, that's about the price of a PS4 or a laptop, of which I have both. I'm not looking to go full modular addict, I just want something I can play some bleeps and bloops on and learn to write some bleepy bloopy songs with and it seems like that's not outside my price range so long as I'm not looking to hook up with a moog (as much as I would totally hook up with a moog if I could)

Trier fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 29, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Trier posted:

The Minibrute is only 3000 of my local currency, that's about the price of a PS4 or a laptop, of which I have both. I'm not looking to go full modular addict, I just want something I can play some bleeps and bloops on and learn to write some bleepy bloopy songs with and it seems like that's not outside my price range so long as I'm not looking to hook up with a moog (as much as I would totally hook up with a moog if I could)

What I mean is that at some point you will probably want to use a DAW, maybe pay for one. Then you'll maybe want an audio interface. Then you'll find your headphones, no matter how good they are, will never replace feeling those sub bass directly through your body and you'll purchase monitoring speakers. At that point you'll probably feel tired of playing with your minibrute and will want to try something else. Something completely different. It never ends.

But that's just my warning. Do as you please and have fun. I'm certainly having a lot of fun :)

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

What I mean is that at some point you will probably want to use a DAW, maybe pay for one. Then you'll maybe want an audio interface. Then you'll find your headphones, no matter how good they are, will never replace feeling those sub bass directly through your body and you'll purchase monitoring speakers. At that point you'll probably feel tired of playing with your minibrute and will want to try something else. Something completely different. It never ends.

But that's just my warning. Do as you please and have fun. I'm certainly having a lot of fun :)

Fair warning, but if that ends up being the case I'll be okay with it, if I get hooked by this it'll be the best thing that could happen to me to be perfectly honest.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hey a synthesizer would be cool to have, I don't want to spend too much though, this Microbrute sounds fun
drat this is pretty neat but I'd like some drums and bass to go with it, what's that, Rhythm Wolf, both in one box, sold
HOLY poo poo KORG IS MAKING WHAT okay, focus, this is not something I strictly need BUT LISTEN TO THE SOUNDS whoops I seem to have bought one
I guess I better get an audio interface, and, hmm, a MIDI through box, those are cheap, might as well, also I need to move this poo poo to an extra table from which follows that I need a table
the sequencers on these synths all aren't ideal but look Arturia is making pretty decent ones
this table is too small

ongoing cautionary tale

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'd still heartily recommend the Minilogue. It's a four-voice poly for $500 which is damned near unheard of, at least for analog. It's a very standard, yet pedagogically-rich synth in that it has most of the things you'd expect from an analog synth -- ring mod, sync, pulse-width modulation and a choice of filter cutoffs. The oscilloscope lets you know what your knob twists are doing to a sound. The delay can be used as a reverb in a pinch, but can sound hilariously crunchy and noisy and I love it.

Bunch of presets that are hit and miss, but you can deconstruct them or 'recreate' them with knob twists to see how close you get, which is another good teaching too.

Also has MIDI over USB.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My only hardware involves MIDI controllers, I'm unfortunately a soft synth guy all the way. :smith:

That being said, if you truly want to just gently caress around with synth design/learning synthesis and want to do it on the cheap, follow these steps:

1. Get a DAW. Price-wise (also, it's awesome), I recommend Reaper. https://www.reaper.fm

2. Get some sort of MIDI controller, so you can actually play the thing, not just pencil in notes on the piano roll.

3. http://www.kvraudio.com (signing up is optional, but I recommend it.) go to plugins, and do a custom search for the format of plugin, your platform, select instrument (and only instrument, for the purposes of this), select "free" for the price, and you'll get hundreds of results. There are some spectacular plugins all for $0.00, with the average level of quality skyrocketing once you start dropping money into the equation.

Edit: since you're new to this, here's some clarification on plugin format:

AU = audio unit, the defacto plugin format for OS X.
VST = defacto plugin format for Windows/PC.

The others get weirdly specific, like there's one just for protools, because of course there is. Keep in mind that, with a proper wrapper, you can use VSTs on mac and I believe audio units on PC, but it's generally best to run them natively on their platform of choice.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 29, 2017

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Tayter Swift posted:

I'd still heartily recommend the Minilogue. It's a four-voice poly for $500 which is damned near unheard of, at least for analog. It's a very standard, yet pedagogically-rich synth in that it has most of the things you'd expect from an analog synth -- ring mod, sync, pulse-width modulation and a choice of filter cutoffs. The oscilloscope lets you know what your knob twists are doing to a sound. The delay can be used as a reverb in a pinch, but can sound hilariously crunchy and noisy and I love it.

Bunch of presets that are hit and miss, but you can deconstruct them or 'recreate' them with knob twists to see how close you get, which is another good teaching too.

Also has MIDI over USB.

Yeah, the Minilogue is a ridiculously good deal for what you get and it sounds fantastic which is even better, but the Deepmind 6 just came out which is about the same price per voice although it has 2 more voices along with a bit better effects.

Basically Minilogue if you want VCO (voltage controlled oscillators so can be more agressive) / Deepmind 6 if you want DCO (digitally controlled oscillators so they're also a bit tamer)

I would still lean towards the Minilogue just because of the oscilloscope since visualizing waves really helps when you're starting off, but you really can't go wrong with either.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
If your goal is to straight up learn how synthesis works I'd consider the Microbrute. It's relatively cheap, sounds good and the interface is 100% wysiwyg which is useful to help understand how everything works. That being said there are some limitations to it (mono, only one envelope that affects amp AND filter) and Arturia poo poo breaks eventually it seems. There was a good two weeks where my LFO didn't work until it suddenly started working again. But it sounds soooooo goooood.

As others have said the Minilogue is also super dope and you get a lot of synth for your money, I don't think you'd regret getting that. The only complaint I have with it is the filter which completely removes the low-end when you turn the resonance up even a tiny bit.

Either way just be aware that once you buy one you will spend the rest of your life on a sisyphean journey to build the perfect setup and spend all your money on gear and will die alone in a pile of synths.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's unlikely that you'll die alone because the scenario depicted inevitably involves owning one or more cats.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Yeah, don't go straight to hardware for synths, especially if you have to save up for it. Get the free Renoise trial, then go to some free VST dump site and download the most highly rated ones, there's tons of great free VSTs. Then after a while you'll know what you want from a synth and will be able to make an educated choice of hardware. Few synth people have the courage to say this out loud but for bleepy bloopy stuff nothing beats a laptop with a MIDI keyboard.

If you still only get one synth, get something with preset memory (not a Brute that is).

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I appreciate all the advice guys. The DAW suggestions are not falling on deaf ears, but if I know myself I need to be far far away from any kind of computer when I learn this stuff.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I can't imagine a better synth for starting out and learning on than the Minilogue. The price point, features, sequencer, arp, poly, different play modes, and a freaking oscilloscope to show you what the waveform is doing. Having one of these to learn on when I started in '96 would have saved me literal years of fumbling in the dark.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Having spent some time with our Microbrute, I wouldn't really suggest it, honestly. It makes a *very* particular sort of sound as it's limited in its oscillator control (no octave control or tuning/sync per osc). Also the filter is... it's what it is, but not super "musical," and almost all the controls seem to have a really limited range of useful movement. It has some limited patchability, and that's decent, and at least it has a sequencer, but overall it's not my favorite piece of kit.

If I had take-backsies I'd have gotten a Minilogue. I'd also consider waiting for the Behringer D at this point.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
I don't think the new Bass Station has been mentioned, probably the most versatile in this price range but not one knob per function. If you're in Europe or nearby, once you got the list to choose from, check Thomann, they like to do massive stealth price cuts. Compare the prices with other places.

To expand on my point about preset memory, it helps to switch back and forth between parts when recording, instead of having to take a photo of every preset and dialing it back in. I'm mentioning this again because some people just assume that every modern synth has preset memory. Also be aware of the difference between monophonic and polyphonic synths.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Trier posted:

I appreciate all the advice guys. The DAW suggestions are not falling on deaf ears, but if I know myself I need to be far far away from any kind of computer when I learn this stuff.

Why?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Trier posted:

You say that now, but the minute you will want to start recording, having more tracks (like drums/leads/bass), using midi or other effects (more delay or reverb or whatever) you'll need to choose either the DAW route (which is easy, relatively cheap, flexible) or the more hardware route (very expensive).

If you just want a fun toy to play in your room with your headphones, or maybe to play on your friend's speakers, then I recommend more a Volca Sample and/or Keys or FM. And they can be quite cheap on second hand.

The more I think about it the more I believe what you want is a Volca (for a starter)

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 30, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I got an email deal from Rhythmic Robot for a bunch of Q Up Arts Kontakt libraries. It's five libraries (everything here except the Voices of Native America libraries) for 80 GBP instead of the normal 800, which is 90% off. Now 800 is arguably a dumb as poo poo price for those five libraries anyway, but I've been coveting California Keys for a while and it's normally 400 GBP on its own, so 80 just for that would have gotten me to hit "buy" anyway.

Long story short: I now have a new favorite piano library and a new favorite Hammond library, along with a bunch of other stuff that varies in quality from "pretty good" to "excellent". I don't actually use Hammond sounds that often, but that piano is going to be all over my poo poo from now on. It does the very quiet end of things better than any other library I've used.

Coupon code is QUPMEGASALE if anyone's interested.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
RE: Octatrack II
Wow, it's nothing. Agree best thing about this will be cheap mkIs. :/

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You say that now, but the minute you will want to start recording, having more tracks (like drums/leads/bass), using midi or other effects (more delay or reverb or whatever) you'll need to choose either the DAW route (which is easy, relatively cheap, flexible) or the more hardware route (very expensive).

If you just want a fun toy to play in your room with your headphones, or maybe to play on your friend's speakers, then I recommend more a Volca Sample and/or Keys or FM. And they can be quite cheap on second hand.

The more I think about it the more I believe what you want is a Volca (for a starter)

Seconding a Volca as a starter for people who aren't sure how deep they want to go. They are under $200 each, so you could grab a cheap MIDI keyboard, too. I still use my Volcas, and I've got tons of other synths now, too.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Trier posted:

Hello. I'm saving up for a synth and doing some research in advance so I know exactly how much I need to save up. Are we still all recommending the Arturia minibrute for a starter synth like the OP says?

I usually recommend an old Electribe EMX. They're self contained and you can do a fair bit with them, and learn the ins and outs of some basic synthesis. Then if you want another synth, you've already got something handy for bass and percussion, not to mention being able to sequence external synths via MIDI. They're cheap second hand and it's pretty easy to resell them without losing your investment. I went Electribe, added a Micron, added an OP-1, sold the Electribe and Micron to fund my Monomachine, then added a Volca FM which I traded up to an Octatrack, and just added a Roland MT32 I found for 25 bucks (untested as of yet but if it does it's probably going to be the second best deal I'll ever find in my life).

It also comes down to if you want step sequencing or not. I started off with Scream Tracker 3 back in the 90s and step sequencing feels like a natural fit to me - I'm not a "keys" person. Start small, figure out what you do or don't like about the workflow, and go from there.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 30, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

you can do what i did and get a hardware daw :thumbsup:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Startyde posted:

RE: Octatrack II
Wow, it's nothing. Agree best thing about this will be cheap mkIs. :/

but the screen is nicer! the waveforms look cooler so they must sound better :thunk:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Trier posted:

I got a minilogue as my first hardware synth after using Ableton for a few years and primarily working with a MIDI keyboard and softsynths. Would highly recommend it as I have had a ton of fun making all kinds of stuff. For $500, you really can't beat the set of features and the sound quality is excellent. I can get everything from a powerful rumbling sub bass to lush pads and arpeggiated leads. Honestly though, having Ableton alongside it makes a huge difference at least for me. The ability to record, add effects, add beats, and route MIDI all from one program is invaluable in my opinion.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Anyone used the System-8? It looks neat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: ^^^^ oh hey, buddy! Our interests align. Who would have thought, in this thread about synths? :haw:

I'd REALLY recommend the DAW route first, that way, when you go looking for a hardware synth, you have more knowledge of what you'd like.

For example, if ever I can afford it, I'd love to have a Roland Jupiter 80 and System-8. :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 1, 2017

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
PSA: JRR has analog four for $420 :420: off while supplies last
https://www.jrrshop.com/elektron-analog-four

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I bought some Euro kits. One of them is a bit more complicated than I had planned - a MST Dual VCA - and I'm not sure about how best to calibrate it. (Instructions here: http://www.synthrotek.com/products/mst-eurorack-modules/mst-dual-2164-vca/)

The patch they say to use needs a lot more modules than I have - like I wasn't planning on grabbing oscillators for a long while, and I don't think I have a single Sin out in my semi-modular stuff. I've been meaning to get an oscilloscope of some kind anyway, and I guess it's time - whats the minimum for what I want to do? 20khz bandwidth / a decent (whats decent for this) refresh rate right?

The bigger hurdle is the oscillators. Is there a short-cut beyond grabbing an LFO and a Sin osc module? Like a multi-meter that outputs instead of listening? Option number 3 is rent some modules for a weekend but I doubt this will be the last time I'd need them.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

an oscillating resonant filter oughta give you an o k sine wave

for calibrating a vca i would imagine your ears would work almost as well as a scope :thumbsup:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I asked on Muff's and haven't gotten a reply, so I'll ask here:

quote:

I've been a happy user of the ES-1 DB-25 version for years. Unfortunately I need the 8 analog outputs on my soundcard for something other than the ES-1, so I figured I'd use that spiffy SPDIF port instead.

Can anyone who has an ES-40 & ESX-8CV give me some impressions as to how it works compared to the ES-1?

I'm mostly concerned about this sentence: "the esx-8cv's outputs are running at between 16khz and 2khz, depending on how many channels are active. this is still plenty fast enough for most cv purposes, except for audio-rate modulation and the very fastest envelopes."

How much functionality should I actually expect to lose with this setup? I do like audio-rate modulation, so is it completely gone?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

an oscillating resonant filter oughta give you an o k sine wave

for calibrating a vca i would imagine your ears would work almost as well as a scope :thumbsup:

Wait yeah I definitely have that. Might be a dirty sine but oh well. Actually on re-read I think the sine is mostly for setting levels and the saw as a decay env, so that might not even matter.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I'm in Asheville, and I stopped by Make Noise yesterday morning. Its an unmarked, unassuming building in west Asheville. They have me a demo of the black shared system and I messed around a bit. Even with help I have a hard time understanding their modules. That said they were really nice considering its a workshop, not really a store. I kinda wish I had asked more questions about production and assembly.

Tomorrow I take the tour at Moog Music.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

I just impulse bought a Minilogue; this is becoming problematic.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

FirstPlayer posted:

I just impulse cancelled my Behringer D and replaced it with a Roland SE-02

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I just impulse cancelled my Behringer D and replaced it with a Roland SE-02

I've started eyeing stuff to sell to help finance a Buchla Skylab system.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Whenever I feel the gear lust (Bastl Softpop started taking preoders today :sigh:), I think about all the stuff I've been waiting to do instead.
  • Record and clear out Circuit patterns
  • Learn how to use talkbox
  • Program microtonal scales on Monologue
  • Audio decoupling mod on Werkstatt
  • Solder a Synthrotek kit
  • 24 hour album challenge
Sometimes I even do these things! :suicide:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

FirstPlayer posted:

I love mine! Enjoy it dude.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

AxeBreaker posted:

I'm in Asheville, and I stopped by Make Noise yesterday morning. Its an unmarked, unassuming building in west Asheville. They have me a demo of the black shared system and I messed around a bit. Even with help I have a hard time understanding their modules. That said they were really nice considering its a workshop, not really a store. I kinda wish I had asked more questions about production and assembly.

i have never found their stuff hard to understand but drat i still aint mastered the steady state positronic transient gate
i figured out my wogglebug way faster than that thing lol

my problem is i took my visual cortex out cuz i was tired of it being unplugged or the absolute center of every modules attention . . . maybe ill get like, a cell 48 or something and leave it sitting beside the tv? it aint quite eurorack tho since its built to run on signals btwn 0-1V which is like, not much, and so many modules just ignore the signals it spits out until i run them through so much gain so :[]

its nice having the anti osc back in, 2 vcos is fun, blind panels are difficult to look at without wondering where to get enough money to throw away at something to replace them with :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I just ordered a new case :negative:

:rip: me