Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

This does appear to have been an oversight by FW since the relics were usuable in 7th. A Blood Angels player on B&C emailed in asking if we could take the relics and was answered in the affirmative. Of course we all know how reliable this is but really anyone that tries to argue against it is probably not worth playing with.

Yeah if some BA player wants to play it like that I'll let him. Just know that currently RAW you can't do it.

To make it work they'd have to errata it to say "<Chapter> or Blood Angels" for the keywords, or have some kind of blood angel army list addendum.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

theironjef posted:

Okay, so I'm coming back in for some Dark Eldar funtimes. I bought an Archon because I need an HQ that makes any kind of sense. But I'm still waiting for a copy of my codex. What can and should I actually equip him and build him out with?

Agoniser and Blast Pistol seems solid to me.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Which one of you nerds is responsible for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjStciqDf0

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

goose willis posted:

Gaming with Alex Jones.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Lmao, Jesus. Is a prize at stake?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

goose willis posted:

This kid owns

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
OH I DON'T KNOW, THAT'S A CLOSE ONE THERE DAVE. LET'S GET OUT THE PROCTOMETER AND FIND OUT.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010
I have like 20 older gun drones. Are there any cheap ways to get different weapon bits for them?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

I'm the Lethal Weapon on in the background.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

flamingweedle posted:

I have like 20 older gun drones. Are there any cheap ways to get different weapon bits for them?

What specifically do you need? Regular old gun drones are actually Discs of Doom beyond compare now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

I guess my gaming buddies aren't so bad.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Got a couple questions for you guys!

Khorne Berserkers get to attack twice. If they charged, do they get both sets of attacks before the enemy?

My buddy is interpreting the multi charge and formation rules in such a way that he can ignore formation for charges, and then has to try to get back in formation in his next movement phase. This resulted in said Berserkers multicharging the genestealers that shocked in behind them, and the gaunts in front, leaving a 12" gap between both halves of the same unit. I'm sure that's not how it works, how can I convince him?

Finally, what's a good app to handle tons of diceroling with rerolls? I'd really like to automate things like 30 devilgaunts - 90 shots rerolling 1's on hit and damage is a pain to roll manually and takes tons of time.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Luebbi posted:

Khorne Berserkers get to attack twice. If they charged, do they get both sets of attacks before the enemy?

My buddy is interpreting the multi charge and formation rules in such a way that he can ignore formation for charges, and then has to try to get back in formation in his next movement phase. This resulted in said Berserkers multicharging the genestealers that shocked in behind them, and the gaunts in front, leaving a 12" gap between both halves of the same unit. I'm sure that's not how it works, how can I convince him?

Finally, what's a good app to handle tons of diceroling with rerolls? I'd really like to automate things like 30 devilgaunts - 90 shots rerolling 1's on hit and damage is a pain to roll manually and takes tons of time.

I'm confused - how is his unit splitting into two different sections 12" apart? My instinct is to say no. Your unit is not allowed to break cohesion, even for charging. If a move would take your unit out of cohesion, you simply end the movement just short of breaking cohesion.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010

professor_curly posted:

What specifically do you need? Regular old gun drones are actually Discs of Doom beyond compare now.

I'm not really sure. Aren't there markerlight and shield drones? I think my ebay rescue hammerhead has missile pod ones. I'm painfully new to the game and have only played tiny games with marines and necrons.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Unit rules state that you can't move your models out of coherency. Charging is specifically a charge move, so rules for movement apply. Player controlling models cannot make any sort of move that would leave coherency.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Finished painting my first bigly marines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh4E5wef3B0

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Luebbi posted:

There's not a whole lot of guidance for the double attack rule. They either get to attack twice with charger's priority in the same activation, attack twice with the chargers but with two different activations, or they get to attack once with the chargers and once with the ongoing combats. You gotta figure it out for yourselves until the FAQ comes out.

You have to maintain coherency any time the unit make any sort of move, so no 12" gaps, that's on page 1 of the Core rules. You also can only target units you charged on the turn you charged, so the Berserkers can't pile into a new target and attack them with their second attack.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Master Twig posted:

I'm usually against the idea of banning things from tournaments. The game is what it is and players should just adapt.

But man... these FW rules are so bad that I think tournaments would benefit greatly from not having them. FW has always had bad rules, but they really had an opportunity to improve. Instead, we got books that were obviously thrown together without testing and feel like they didn't compare them to core rules at all.

FW poo poo should never have been allowed in the first place. It was always the case that people understood FW rules were garbage and it was habitually banned, and it was only towards very late 5th and into 6th that it started becoming normal to let people bring FW to tournaments. It was a bad change and should be walked back asap because for every guy who just wants to play his barely-worth-it-but-fun fancy monster, there's five who started salivating when they found out about something hideously undercosted.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of rules - can Psykers fire off Smite into close combats, either as a 3rd party firing in, or while in close combat themselves?

I could have sworn I read somewhere that they cannot.

Also, as a bonus, played my first game of 8th today with my Primaris. Here's a shot of my Captain and 1st. Lieutenant taking on a unit of Pox Walkers and Typhus.

Typhus ended up killing the captain, but my Lieutenant made short work of him shortly after that. We played the Narrative Ambush game ending in a major victory for me (the attacker.)

I love how towering the Primaris Marines are on the table.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I've been Smiting in/into combat and I can't see why you wouldn't be able to.

E: if I have a single Battalion in a battle-forged army do I have 3 or 6 CPs total? I thought it was 3 but re-reading things now I realise I may be an idiot

Living Image fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 30, 2017

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.
A battle-forged army starts with 3 and gets 3 from a Battalion detachment, so you get 6 in total.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Smiting into/while in combat is basically how GK Purifiers work.

Shame they're basically exceedingly expensive GKSS in all other respects now.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Primaris Chaplain. Made from the Primaris Ancient from Dark Imperium and the Deathwatch Chaplain.

Should Pad and Head both fit really well. Rozarius Arcanum also fit on pretty great.

The power-pack is slightly smaller than the Primaris Packs, but because of all the extra poo poo on this on you really can't tell.

Dead images. Sad, I really wanted to see it.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I'm going to try 1500 point list out this weekend in a casual setting. Tell me what you guys think about it.

quote:

Brigade Detachment (Astra Militarum) [1499]

HQ (335)
Company Commander (30) chainsword, laspistol
Company Commander (30) chainsword, laspistol
Knight Commander Pask (235) Punisher, lascannon, 2x heavy bolters
Tempestor Prime (40) chainsword, command rod

Troops (415)
Conscripts (90) 30 conscripts
Conscripts (90) 30 conscripts
Infantry Squad (60) plasma pistol, plasma gun, heavy bolter
Infantry Squad (55) plasma gun, heavy bolter

Elites (438)
Commissar (31) boltgun
Commissar (31) boltgun
Bullgryns (252) 6x bullgryn maul 3x slabshield 3x brute shield
Tempestus Command Squad (62) 2x Meltagun
Tempestus Command Squad (62) 2x Meltagun

Fast Attack (230)
Armoured Sentinel (60) Lascannon
Armoured Sentinel (60) Lascannon
Hellhound (110) Heavy Flamer

Heavy Support (81)
Heavy Weapons Squad (27) 3x Mortars

The plan is to use the conscript squads as bubble wrap against chargers while the infantry teams and heavy weapons squads dish out the real damage. The tempestors will deep strike near high value targets and hopefully take it out. I'm not entirely sold on Bullgryns working with this list, but I couldn't resist having 25 S7 -1AP 2W attacks on the charge. The Sentinels are mainly for capping objectives and having a chance to damage heavies. The hellhound will be doing drive-by barbecues against enemy infantry squads and if it survives try to go for objectives late game.

My Biggest concern with this list is not having as many large guns to take down heavies as i usually do.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Where's my buddy dreadnought movie?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DiHK posted:

The deathcompany dread is 3 days from retirement.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

LordAba posted:

"You're a loose cannon Angelus!"

"THE HOUNDS OF THE WARMASTER ASSAIL ME, CLEANSE THEM IN BLOOD AND FLAME"

"But you're one heck of a cop-nought."

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Thinking of trying out this gimmicky swarm list in my next game. There's over 200 wounds to deal with here, most of which will be subject to -1 to hit or is an untargetable character.

For once I'm not using any 'real' MCs (Malanthropes don't really count), just sheer weight of bodies. Figure I can quickly tie up any shooty threats while the 'stealers and Warriors bring the damage, using the 9CP to make them more reliable. In the meantime I can control virtually every objective on the table.

quote:

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [131 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [97 PL, 1335pts] ++

+ HQ +

Broodlord [8 PL, 162pts]

Malanthropes [30 PL, 270pts]: 3x Malanthrope

Tyranid Prime [5 PL, 109pts]: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Devourer

+ Troops +

Genestealers [12 PL, 180pts]
. 15x Genestealer: 15x Rending Claws

Hormagaunts [9 PL, 162pts]
. 27x Hormagaunt: 27x Adrenal Glands

Hormagaunts [9 PL, 162pts]
. 27x Hormagaunt: 27x Adrenal Glands

+ Fast Attack +

Gargoyles [12 PL, 168pts]
. 24x Gargoyle: 24x Adrenal Glands

Tyranid Shrikes [12 PL, 122pts]
. Tyranid Shrike: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Spinefists
. Tyranid Shrike: Adrenal Glands, Lash Whip and Bonesword, Spinefists

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [34 PL, 665pts] ++

+ HQ +

Tyranid Prime [5 PL, 109pts]: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Spinefists, Toxin Sacs

Tyranid Prime [5 PL, 105pts]: Adrenal Glands, Scything Talons, Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs

+ Troops +

Ripper Swarm [6 PL, 99pts]: 9x Ripper Swarm

Termagants [9 PL, 180pts]
. 15x Termagant (Devourer): 15x Devourer
. 15x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Termagants [9 PL, 172pts]
. 16x Termagant (Devourer): 16x Devourer
. 11x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Dead images. Sad, I really wanted to see it.

Weird. First time I've had them die on me.

Here you go.

*edit - it'd help if I posted the right images.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 30, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Heavy fuckin weapons

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DiHK posted:

"I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS poo poo, YET I CONTINUE TO SERVE, AT THE BEHEST OF THE EMPEROR!"

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

xtothez posted:

Thinking of trying out this gimmicky swarm list in my next game. There's over 200 wounds to deal with here, most of which will be subject to -1 to hit or is an untargetable character.

For once I'm not using any 'real' MCs (Malanthropes don't really count), just sheer weight of bodies. Figure I can quickly tie up any shooty threats while the 'stealers and Warriors bring the damage, using the 9CP to make them more reliable. In the meantime I can control virtually every objective on the table.

You've got the bodies, but not the hitting power. All those adrenal glands aren't really worthwhile on most of those models, you should keep your hormagaunts cheap.

You should drop whatever you can to get a second unit of genestealers in, since they're what's going to be killing things. The termagants will do a pretty good job with their shooting too, but a good sized brood of genestealers will eat T7 vehicles in one fight phase. I've seen a few games with gargoyles and they've never done enough to make it worth bringing them for their cost. Dropping them, the ripper swarm, and the hormagaunt adrenal glands lets you field 2 20 model units of genestealers (replacing the rippers for that troop slot) with about 20 points left over.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

LordAba posted:

That's what the objective marker symbolizes

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

berzerkmonkey posted:

"I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS poo poo, YET I CONTINUE TO SERVE, AT THE BEHEST OF THE EMPEROR!"

:hfive:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

chutche2 posted:

You've got the bodies, but not the hitting power. All those adrenal glands aren't really worthwhile on most of those models, you should keep your hormagaunts cheap.

You should drop whatever you can to get a second unit of genestealers in, since they're what's going to be killing things. The termagants will do a pretty good job with their shooting too, but a good sized brood of genestealers will eat T7 vehicles in one fight phase. I've seen a few games with gargoyles and they've never done enough to make it worth bringing them for their cost. Dropping them, the ripper swarm, and the hormagaunt adrenal glands lets you field 2 20 model units of genestealers (replacing the rippers for that troop slot) with about 20 points left over.

Some good points here. I'm always tempted to auto-take adrenals now because they're good and cheap, but you're right that they don't really benefit these screening units well and I do need more punch. I've dropped the Gargoyles & Shrikes, tweaked a few other units and will bring 2 x 16-strong 'stealer broods with toxin sacs.

I'm gonna keep some Rippers in though. Not only are they a cheap, handy way to hold objectives while being obnoxious to remove thanks to LoS, but they fit the swarm army theme well. Plus the FW ripper models I own haven't been fielded since I painted them, and they do look cool.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Dropping shrikes is probably for the best. With no MCs in the list any heavy weapons they have will be searching for multiwound models to shoot.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So I've been out of the game for so long that I don't even really know if this sort of thing is acceptable so I'll ask here. If I painted all my marines in one chapter scheme (sharks), but had some notation (like base rim colors or something) to show that some were Raptors and some were Raven Guard, so that I could use the appropriate characters, is that frowned upon? Am I a cheesemaster for considering it?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Lol if you're still buying baby marines.

#chadmarinelife

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

JoshTheStampede posted:

So I've been out of the game for so long that I don't even really know if this sort of thing is acceptable so I'll ask here. If I painted all my marines in one chapter scheme (sharks), but had some notation (like base rim colors or something) to show that some were Raptors and some were Raven Guard, so that I could use the appropriate characters, is that frowned upon? Am I a cheesemaster for considering it?

I wouldn't like it as I find rim colors really ruin a model's look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I wouldn't like it as I find rim colors really ruin a model's look.

Yeah, me too, but I could find some other way to denote it. I don't want to just try to remember and make my opponent remember who is a Raptor and who is a Shark, but I don't like the Raptors colors at all.