Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
“When the Tacoma Sperm Bank was looking for donors, naturally I applied. It’s my civic duty and I like whales.”

Same, Andy, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Neurosis posted:

so wally is dick tremayne's son, right? extremely pretentious and strange, despite having nothing to be proud for. please tell me there is a lot of evidence that this is wrong. andy is a good guy.

Sometimes kids just come out like that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Neurosis posted:

so wally is dick tremayne's son, right? extremely pretentious and strange, despite having nothing to be proud for. please tell me there is a lot of evidence that this is wrong. andy is a good guy.

lucy is a playa

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Where is Dick Tremayne. I want his extremely emotive face back

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Apple Craft posted:

It's a donut.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the doughnut motif in twin peaks is weird as gently caress, weird enough to be orbs

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh poo poo

donut holes

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
coffee and doughnuts are essential elements of twin peaks

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet (I'm trying to keep up with you guys) but the atomic bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki burned the shadows of their victims on to the walls.
I wonder if the ghost hobos are all black because they're the shadows of the hobos who were squatting at the convenience store when the abandoned town was nuked.
Also I think the 3 hobo looking guys from the convenience store scene in FWWM are probably the same guys but Lynch just hadn't decided to make them all black yet.

When I saw bugfrog crawl into that girls mouth my first thought was "so is she going to rape a young Leland Palmer?" Because goons love rape, am I right?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i figured it was a pandora's box sort of thing, where evil enters the world through women

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I am kind of disappointed by the imagery in the recent episodes that suggests that Frank Silva Bob is and has always been Bob's "real" appearance. I always thought of it as some kind of malevolent, predatory hermit crab that takes on the shell of its previous host. As in, Frank Silva Bob possessed Leland Palmer because his previous host had been the man young Leland encountered at Pearl Lakes, then Ray Wise Bob would possess agent Cooper/Coopelganger, then when he eventually took a new host he would be Kyle MacLachlan Bob, and so on.

However, I can see why they made the choices they did from a practical perspective, and also it's nice that Frank Silva's work on the series can be memorialized and honored this way.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fyadophobic posted:

I am kind of disappointed by the imagery in the recent episodes that suggests that Frank Silva Bob is and has always been Bob's "real" appearance. I always thought of it as some kind of malevolent, predatory hermit crab that takes on the shell of its previous host. As in, Frank Silva Bob possessed Leland Palmer because his previous host had been the man young Leland encountered at Pearl Lakes, then Ray Wise Bob would possess agent Cooper/Coopelganger, then when he eventually took a new host he would be Kyle MacLachlan Bob, and so on.

However, I can see why they made the choices they did from a practical perspective, and also it's nice that Frank Silva's work on the series can be memorialized and honored this way.

~Frank Silva~

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Fyadophobic posted:

i mean mike does say that frank silva is bob's "true face" in i think the second season

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

Looks like the top down view of a mushroom cloud. :monocle:

It's a donut wha t the Christ

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

romanowski posted:

i mean mike does say that frank silva is bob's "true face" in i think the second season

His name is bob, does no one think the mundaneness is key to why they're so terrifying whys it gotta be some retarded dr who monster

I think of it all like cosmic horror and our brains can't deal with stuff from so far beyond the reality we evolved it so sometimes it looks like a dwarf slurping corn and these beings are limited so their best efforts to communicate sound like people speaking backwards, reversed

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I actually don't want to know who the girl who ate the frog-bug is. I liked the whole scene as a spreading/revealing of corruption across a completely innocent looking town parallel to Twin Peaks. I'm not interested in the world building I guess.

Same, except part of me is speculating that the girl and boy we see are BOB's parents and BOB becomes an entity able to cross between two worlds since he came from Another Place but was born to a human mother on Earth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is the donut
And this is the hole
Dip it in the coffee, and consume.
The glaze is the white of the sugar, and deliciousness within.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Modest Mao posted:

His name is bob, does no one think the mundaneness is key to why they're so terrifying whys it gotta be some retarded dr who monster

I think of it all like cosmic horror and our brains can't deal with stuff from so far beyond the reality we evolved it so sometimes it looks like a dwarf slurping corn and these beings are limited so their best efforts to communicate sound like people speaking backwards, reversed

well yes that's how i always interpreted it, i'm just saying that's why bob doesn't take on the form of the last person he possessed or whatever

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CJacobs posted:

This is the donut
And this is the hole
Dip it in the coffee, and consume.
The glaze is the white of the sugar, and deliciousness within.

Not an empty quote.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
This is the coffee
And this is the mug
Drink full and say HI.
That Dale is the whitest of guys, but has BOB within.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
this is my rifle
and this is my gun
load up and compensate hi.
the click is the cock of the hammer, and my shriveled yin

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
What Phish song is that

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Fyadophobic posted:

Unless I'm missing something, BOB never possesses Dale-ppleganger. They're clearly shown to be two separate entities in the Lodge.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
let's not go down that road again lol

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

...! posted:

Unless I'm missing something, BOB never possesses Dale-ppleganger. They're clearly shown to be two separate entities in the Lodge.

yeah you're missing something.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

...! posted:

Maybe possessed is the wrong word, but as we saw in the jail cell Bob is still "with" him in some way. (Except maybe not since being shot by Ray? I wasn't clear on if the woodsmen took him away or crammed the Bobubble back in)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Fyadophobic posted:

Maybe possessed is the wrong word, but as we saw in the jail cell Bob is still "with" him in some way. (Except maybe not since being shot by Ray? I wasn't clear on if the woodsmen took him away or crammed the Bobubble back in)

I don't think it's clear if something happens with BOB in that sequence, I guess we'll have to wait another GOD drat WEEK ARGH I CAN'T TAKE IT I JUST WANT TO BINGE THE LAST 10 HOURS RIGHT NOW

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

...! posted:

I wouldn't say "possess," but BOB is definitely IN Mr. C. He's a willing participant.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I thought the shot of the Black Lodge spirits swarming around the convenience store looked like a swarm of roaches or ants. The Trinity test was like ringing the dinner bell for beings who feed on pain and suffering. The Atomic Age is one of terrible dread, a garmonbozia smorgasbord.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Hadn't seen Twin Peaks before but boy am I glad that I caught up. The first two seasons didn't really match what I'd been hearing about them (less quirky and mundane than and more dark than I was told), and the movie was better than I'd heard. The new season is fantastic though, and is shaping up to be my favourite of the bunch. It's actually my first foray into Lynch's work, so this extra week wait might be a good chance to check some more of it out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Regarding the doppleganger, it's possessed by Bob but I don't believe it's "possessed" by Bob in the western sense of the word but it's uh, metempsychosis? Like they're one person. Different from something like him possessing Leland where there's a human personality still in there that switches on and off. Possessed more like in eastern pop culture stuff where it's like a merged reincarnation sort of thing instead of like in The Exorcist.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think BOB and Doop are like, more in-sync with each other than BOB might be with someone who's a normal human and not a lodge entity, so he doesn't exactly 'possess' him in the same way he would a person.

e: i'm pretty much just dumbin down what he said^

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Maybe I binged too much of it in one go, but my impression isn't that Bob is the one ever in control, but that he influences and brings about the dark, twisted part of a person's self. I felt like Leland felt remorse because deep down he still understood that he did it, and that it was his doppelganger that excused himself later in the lodge. FWWM also made it harder for me to separate Leland from Bob. I probably misinterpreted it though?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

CrashScreen posted:

Maybe I binged too much of it in one go, but my impression isn't that Bob is the one ever in control, but that he influences and brings about the dark, twisted part of a person's self. I felt like Leland felt remorse because deep down he still understood that he did it, and that it was his doppelganger that excused himself later in the lodge. FWWM also made it harder for me to separate Leland from Bob. I probably misinterpreted it though?

In Episode 9 of Season 2, BOB - speaking through Leland in the same way MIKE spoke through Phillip Gerard - explicitly says that Leland had no idea that he killed Laura or Maddie, and that once he "pulls the cork" on Leland all the memories will come to him. And that's exactly what happens after BOB forces Leland to crack his head open. BOB has escaped, and now Leland remembers all the things he did ("I remember...I remember everything") and feels the overwhelming sorrow and guilt that comes with that. I suppose FWWM has made people question how how good of a person he was, but I don't think that contradicts the first two seasons - it adds to them.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I guess BOB controlled Leland like the symbiote controlled Spider-Man when he got the black alien costume. There was a clash of personalities so the parasite had to operate when the host was blacked out.

Doppleganger Cooper is like Eddie Brock. He likes the parasite. They're bros, and the two combined are stronger for it.

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005
Monsieur Houllebecq put in his book that it's not constructive to a person's rationality for them to read meaning into places where there isn't any. Take that David Lynch.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Escape Addict posted:

I guess BOB controlled Leland like the symbiote controlled Spider-Man when he got the black alien costume. There was a clash of personalities so the parasite had to operate when the host was blacked out.

Doppleganger Cooper is like Eddie Brock. He likes the parasite. They're bros, and the two combined are stronger for it.

BOB is more like a Carnage style killer imo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Escape Addict posted:

I thought the shot of the Black Lodge spirits swarming around the convenience store looked like a swarm of roaches or ants. The Trinity test was like ringing the dinner bell for beings who feed on pain and suffering. The Atomic Age is one of terrible dread, a garmonbozia smorgasbord.

I wonder how much Garmonbozia Hiroshima and Nagasaki provided?

How was MIKE created?

Can a Black Lodge being starve from a lack of Garmonbozia?

Every Question answered leads to ten more questions with Twin Peaks

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The more I listen to the NiN song the more I believe it has something directly to do with Twin Peaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

...! posted:

BOB traveled into the future, Briggs-Style, so he can laugh aside a version of himself as Dale-ppleganger. Or the BOB possessed Dale-ppleganger went back in time to chill with a past version of himself,

or,

or;