Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't know what you mean by that, concealability is not really an attribute of crew served anti tank weapons. The PIAT was bigger and heavier and less reliable and worse at killing tanks than even the early bazookas, and by the end of the war they were used more for blowing up houses and walls than for killing tanks. Kind of a neat design, but apparently it would fail to fire all the time.

Citation needed.

I mean the PIAT wasn't a crew served anti-tank weapon so I don't know what you are talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't know what you mean by that, concealability is not really an attribute of crew served anti tank weapons. The PIAT was bigger and heavier and less reliable and worse at killing tanks than even the early bazookas, and by the end of the war they were used more for blowing up houses and walls than for killing tanks. Kind of a neat design, but apparently it would fail to fire all the time.

As in, you can fire it without giving away your position with a big rocket flare, which might attract the ire of all the people who don't want to be blown up by a rocket.

Not that you can shove it down your kecks and whistle your way past the german front line.

They were by all accounts a right twat to use with the recoil, but the design does have its advantages, not least that you're still carrying a shoulder fired mortar which is useful in many of the ways a similar light artillery piece might be.

You also see lots of pictures of people using them like this:

Which you very definitely cannot do more than once with a bazooka. And bracing against the terrain also helps to mitigate the recoil problem.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 30, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Also, around the tail end of the war, the germans didn't exactly have a lot of tanks to go around, and so it'd be the case of all of these anti-tank weapons that they find more use against fortifications and houses than actual tanks.

EDIT: In the anti-tank role WWII man portable anti-tank weapons had a very specific niche, usually relating to last-ditch type defenses by infantry from tank attacks. And basically the Germans stopped doing tank attacks by 1945. Use of such weapons for other purposes is a mark of versatility, not 'therefore they suck'. See also the US use of rocket launchers against fortifications in Vietnam.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 30, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

What did Allied Italy bomb?

Also lol at including Soviet Union in the list of minors you sneaky bastard! :crossarms:

The Germans, and themselves!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

As in, you can fire it without giving away your position with a big rocket flare, which might attract the ire of all the people who don't want to be blown up by a rocket.

Not that you can shove it down your kecks and whistle your way past the german front line.

They were by all accounts a right twat to use with the recoil, but the design does have its advantages, not least that you're still carrying a shoulder fired mortar which is useful in many of the ways a similar light artillery piece might be.

You also see lots of pictures of people using them like this:

Which you very definitely cannot do with a bazooka. And bracing against the terrain also helps to mitigate the recoil problem.

Its a shoulder-fired mortar that is fired specifically from the prone position. The short range of the PIAT gives no tactical advantage over a rocket launcher other than "less likely to be spotted when firing". Consider that other launchers outrange it, or that, in an urban environment, it wouldn't matter anyways because you'd simply fire your rocket and then bug out into the next building over.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its a shoulder-fired mortar that is fired specifically from the prone position. The short range of the PIAT gives no tactical advantage over a rocket launcher other than "less likely to be spotted when firing". Consider that other launchers outrange it, or that, in an urban environment, it wouldn't matter anyways because you'd simply fire your rocket and then bug out into the next building over.

For other launchers, if you fired it while indoors you'd be dead (or at least pretty badly burnt) from the backblast and thus unable to bug out into the next building over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can fire them standing up just fine, I just don't imagine anybody would want to if they didn't have to, which they don't, happily, because there's no backblast.

Which also, incidentally, means you most definitely do not fire your bazooka from inside a building, unless you want to have an extremely bad day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean hell I'd probably rather have a bazooka as well because the range is very useful and there's a reason why we adopted that pattern for all subsequent man portable AT weapons, but the PIAT approach does have its advantages as well as its drawbacks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The PIAT is also heavy as gently caress and a complete bitch-and-a-half to reload.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Advantages
-No backblast
-Does not reveal position when fired

Disadvantages
-Inaccurate
-Short range
-Limited payload
-Cumbersome reloading procedure
-Heavy

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Man portable anti-tank rocket launchers weren't all that important to the allies, as far as I can see, outside of a few limited cases (in certain areas of Normandy, Arnhem...) but where it was used the PIAT was reasonably effective for what it is. It wouldn't have probably made much difference either way to use a bazooka, though the latter is lighter to lug around (the ammo is heavier though).

All of those launchers suck relative to what people currently use.

quote:

The PIAT is also heavy as gently caress and a complete bitch-and-a-half to reload.

It's a bitch to *recock* if the auto-cocking feature malfunctions. It's not entirely clear how often that happens though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is another good reason to fire it from the ground though because if you don't resist the recoil it won't re cock reliably.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Like if all goes well it's actually really quick and easy to reload, you just put a new shell in the tray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttwyZFTdv4

That's why you get the stories about one guy using a PIAT to hold off a load of tanks by shooting a bunch of them rapidly and getting a Victoria Cross for it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

An anti-tank weapon that you can limp wrist.

For what it's worth, the thing was designed in '41-42. This was the Sten era of british weapons design - I strongly suspect that their overriding priority was to get something that worked often enough and could be built really loving quickly rather than to optimize it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

An anti-tank weapon that you can limp wrist.

For what it's worth, the thing was designed in '41-42. This was the Sten era of british weapons design - I strongly suspect that their overriding priority was to get something that worked often enough and could be built really loving quickly rather than to optimize it.

That was another element, it's easy to make and uses principles already in use with the spigot mortar.

So, your choice is not necessarily between a PIAT and a bazooka, it's between a PIAT and a gammon bomb or ST grenade.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yes but we're arguing about using a PIAT-styled system in current-day combat action. Pointing out how dated or impractical the system was is just another point towards arguably better weapons currently in service.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yes but we're arguing about using a PIAT-styled system in current-day combat action. Pointing out how dated or impractical the system was is just another point towards arguably better weapons currently in service.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the PIAT would work better than a modern recoilless AT weapon.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing that the PIAT would work better than a modern recoilless AT weapon.

The Lone Badger posted:

Does anyone field a PIAT-style shoulder-fired-mortar these days? I understand that the lack of backblast gave it certain advantages over recoilless rifles / rocket launchers in urban terrain.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nah, that's easy and settled, we're arguing against Pryor on Fire's "really unreliable spring loaded piece of poo poo, they were not loved in any terrain". By modern standards all of these WWII weapons suck, but the PIAT was fairly competitive with everything else the Allies had and reasonably fulfilled what people required from such weapons. (I mean the Russians got away with not using either of them, which should sorta underline how pointless the PIAT vs Bazooka debate really is.)

EDIT: The question of what about backblast is better answered by the fact that there's better ways of dealing with the backblast issue than the spigot mortar principle, anyway, than the specific issues with the PIAT that could be resolved if you were building a weapon like it today.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 30, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A PIAT style system, not the PIAT itself, and that's a question, not an assertion.

To which the answer is "nobody uses one because modern AT designs make better AT weapons in most circumstances."

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
DIA just released a thing on the Russian military that is very good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fangz posted:

Nah, that's easy and settled, we're arguing against Pryor on Fire's "really unreliable spring loaded piece of poo poo, they were not loved in any terrain". By modern standards all of these WWII weapons suck, but the PIAT was fairly competitive with everything else the Allies had and reasonably fulfilled what people required from such weapons.

At the same time, your assessment of the PIAT is way too rosy. Yeah, they could be fired out of a house more effectively, but that's only a useful feature in certain environments. Conversely, the shorter range was a significant issue, as was the weight-having a less mobile weapon that you have to get closer to use is not a recipe for success. Having a PIAT was better than having no ranged anti-tank weapon at all, but to suggest it was competitive to the far more mobile and effective Bazooka is just flat-out wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This reminds me: how does Russian maintain "peer" military status with the US when they have a GDP less than Italy? That may be answered in that link but it's 116 pages!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

At the same time, your assessment of the PIAT is way too rosy. Yeah, they could be fired out of a house more effectively, but that's only a useful feature in certain environments. Conversely, the shorter range was a significant issue, as was the weight-having a less mobile weapon that you have to get closer to use is not a recipe for success. Having a PIAT was better than having no ranged anti-tank weapon at all, but to suggest it was competitive to the far more mobile and effective Bazooka is just flat-out wrong.

Those certain environments composed a lot of cases the PIAT and the Bazooka found itself used in. I'm simply not aware of a lot of cases of the bazooka being effective at long ranges.

quote:

[Then LtGen] Patton expressed his thoughts regarding the bazooka in a letter of instruction to his senior commanders on May 20, 1944: The purpose of the bazooka is not to hunt tanks offensively, but to be used as the last resort in keeping tanks from overrunning infantry. Since the bazooka is unarmored, and always discloses its position when fired, it must get a hit on the first shot. To insure this, the range should be held to about 30 yards. When thus used, the bazooka will hit and penetrate any tank I have yet seen and will probably stop it. If used at longer ranges, it will probably miss and its operators will then become targets for the tanks machine guns.”

Patton might be exaggerating somewhat here, but still. It's likely you and I have different ideas of what 'competitive' means, but it seems like the British had the bazooka as an option and saw no real need to replace their PIATs with them.

EDIT: And like, even with post-war bazookas, in excess of 50% of warheads malfunctioned on hit.

quote:

In 1951, this writer was invited to observe infantry training at Camp Roberts, California, where it was obvious that the 2.36-inch Bazookas were, for the most part, failing to detonate high order and form a jet as designed. Instead, most of the rounds were apparently functioned low order from crush-up on the target, as evidenced by the presence of many undeformed conical liners laying about on the test field.

http://elementsofpower.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/bazooka-magnificent-weapon-or-crapshoot.html

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 30, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

This reminds me: how does Russian maintain "peer" military status with the US when they have a GDP less than Italy? That may be answered in that link but it's 116 pages!

That's kind of a complex question with a lot of different answers but the short version is that in just about any scenario where Russia and the US are shooting at each other, Russia is playing a home game. Having to fight a long way from home is very difficult and very costly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

That's kind of a complex question with a lot of different answers but the short version is that in just about any scenario where Russia and the US are shooting at each other, Russia is playing a home game. Having to fight a long way from home is very difficult and very costly.

Didn't we overestimate Soviet military capabilities quite a bit during the Cold War? Probably that document you linked would answer this, but do we have a tendency to over- rather than under-estimate threats from near-peers?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Just kind of skimmed through it so far. The section on Russian views of informational warfare was particularly interesting imo.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Didn't we overestimate Soviet military capabilities quite a bit during the Cold War? Probably that document you linked would answer this, but do we have a tendency to over- rather than under-estimate threats from near-peers?

We regularly overestimated Soviet capabilities (Team B), sometimes deliberately (bomber gap). We also underestimated a lot of stuff (tanks, fighter aircraft, low altitude air defense, quality of tactical leadership).

I'm not sure if you can identify a clear tendency in any of it but it ultimately all goes to the basic fact that intelligence is a very imprecise science and it gets even less precise when politics get mixed in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Don Gato posted:

I have an odd question, but does anyone have a good source on the Lille pocket in 1940? I just found out that 40,000 Frenchmen held off 7 divisions during the Fall of France and might have directly contributed to the sheer amount of men, but my brief googling found only a few clickbait articles and a woefully short wikipedia article. It seems depressingly obscure for something so important.

French sources are likely your best bet.It appears that there's a fairly recent book on Dunkerque in English entitled Dunkirk: Fight to the last man by Sebag-Montefiore that touches on it.

Generally, the Fall of France is fairly well dealt with by French sources. There is a decent summary - Le Disastre de 1940 by Paillat is a good starting point. I don't know if it's translated.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

bewbies posted:

We regularly overestimated Soviet capabilities (Team B), sometimes deliberately (bomber gap). We also underestimated a lot of stuff (tanks, fighter aircraft, low altitude air defense, quality of tactical leadership).

I'm not sure if you can identify a clear tendency in any of it but it ultimately all goes to the basic fact that intelligence is a very imprecise science and it gets even less precise when politics get mixed in.

I'd be curious about understimation of tactical leadership, since wargaming a lot one of the big things you repeatedly hear is about soviet tactical inflexibility and overworked low-level officers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fangz posted:

Patton might be exaggerating somewhat here, but still. It's likely you and I have different ideas of what 'competitive' means, but it seems like the British had the bazooka as an option and saw no real need to replace their PIATs with them.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Brits used a lot of American equipment, but as much as we like to talk about the overwhelming power of US industry the British had a large military and the US couldn't make guns for both at the same time. Theoretically the M1 Garand was a lot better than the No4 Enfield, but outside of maybe some edge case OSS poo poo we never equiped the British Army with them.

The other thing to remember is the time frame all this poo poo is happening on. PIAT is developed in 1941, when the US is out of the war except for Lend Lease. Even Lend Lease was mostly giving our old poo poo to England, or letting some minor factories in the US manufacture English guns and ship them over (Savage was fairly small potatoes compared to the majors in that time, and Winchester and Remington both switched over to making other poo poo by 1943, offloading Enfield production onto Canada). The brits had started making the PIAT, and it was good enough, so the US could concentrate on making AT weapons for its own forces, which were rapidly expanding through 42-44. Retooling factories in wartime is a bitch, and by the time it would be feasible you're well into the end-game for the war. The immediate need for a better weapon just isn't there even by D-Day. You can make the exact same set of observations for why they're still using the Enfield in 1945.

It's also worth noting that as soon as the war ended they adopted the Bazooka (and also started sourcing a replacement for the Enfield).

I think you're reading way too far into the differences in the equipment as any kind of grounds for what they chose. The reality is probably much more "this is what we have, it is good enough, and we produce it domestically on the factories we already have running."

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Congrats on making 500 pages of drunken window shootings!

In honor of that pretend it is now TYOOL 500AD. In this wide world of ours, who is trying to kill who, and how badly are they loving it up?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jamwad Hilder posted:

His early stuff about hoplite warfare was actually really good, in my opinion. I think 9/11 broke his brain because since then almost everything he puts out is about how The West is inherently superior and garbage like "mixed-race cultures are doomed to fail".

Is it? Really? I find the idea of only a bunch of random amateur greek farmers being completely untouchable in a melee with effete east completely unconvincing. And the description that only the greeks had heavy infantry sounds like nonsense, considering phalanx warfare was pretty well developed in the post-Babylonian kingdoms, and the latter had a sophisticated economy and bureaucracy that could supply the equipment and professionalization.

I decided to google it, and stumbled on a reddit thread that shits on that fucker.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/42isht/how_is_victor_davis_hansons_work_on_greek_warfare/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Neophyte posted:

Congrats on making 500 pages of drunken window shootings!

In honor of that pretend it is now TYOOL 500AD. In this wide world of ours, who is trying to kill who, and how badly are they loving it up?

Who knows, I'm a naked peasant that doesn't believe in other towns.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Brits used a lot of American equipment, but as much as we like to talk about the overwhelming power of US industry the British had a large military and the US couldn't make guns for both at the same time. Theoretically the M1 Garand was a lot better than the No4 Enfield, but outside of maybe some edge case OSS poo poo we never equiped the British Army with them.

The other thing to remember is the time frame all this poo poo is happening on. PIAT is developed in 1941, when the US is out of the war except for Lend Lease. Even Lend Lease was mostly giving our old poo poo to England, or letting some minor factories in the US manufacture English guns and ship them over (Savage was fairly small potatoes compared to the majors in that time, and Winchester and Remington both switched over to making other poo poo by 1943, offloading Enfield production onto Canada). The brits had started making the PIAT, and it was good enough, so the US could concentrate on making AT weapons for its own forces, which were rapidly expanding through 42-44. Retooling factories in wartime is a bitch, and by the time it would be feasible you're well into the end-game for the war. The immediate need for a better weapon just isn't there even by D-Day. You can make the exact same set of observations for why they're still using the Enfield in 1945.

It's also worth noting that as soon as the war ended they adopted the Bazooka (and also started sourcing a replacement for the Enfield).

I think you're reading way too far into the differences in the equipment as any kind of grounds for what they chose. The reality is probably much more "this is what we have, it is good enough, and we produce it domestically on the factories we already have running."

Wikipedia says the British only replaced the PIAT in the 1950s, with the post-war 'Super-bazooka'. The PIAT only entered service in 1943. Indeed the Brits had lend-lease bazookas in Sept 1942, just barely after the PIAT even entered small scale production. The 'Jefferis Shoulder Gun' was only in trials as the first bazookas were being built.

I think the argument you have about retooling is reasonable but I think there's also differences here. Adopting the Garand is a very much more complicated procedure than adopting the bazooka, because of the large amount a rifle is used relative to a man-portable AT weapon. (Especially once you get into the fact that adopting the Garand *also* means replacing the Bren and the Vickers.)

The British did in the event receive about 2000 bazookas but it seems like decided to ship them off to the Frence Resistance instead.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 30, 2017

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

Who knows, I'm a naked peasant that doesn't believe in other towns.

:same:

And I get lost if I happen to wander outside my own village

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Phobophilia posted:

Is it? Really? I find the idea of only a bunch of random amateur greek farmers being completely untouchable in a melee with effete east completely unconvincing. And the description that only the greeks had heavy infantry sounds like nonsense, considering phalanx warfare was pretty well developed in the post-Babylonian kingdoms, and the latter had a sophisticated economy and bureaucracy that could supply the equipment and professionalization.

I decided to google it, and stumbled on a reddit thread that shits on that fucker.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/42isht/how_is_victor_davis_hansons_work_on_greek_warfare/

No, I'm not referring to any of the "why the Greeks were the best" stuff. I mean the things he's written about the actual mechanics of Greek vs Greek hoplite warfare, the types of people who may have fought as hoplites, his theories on why that style of warfare may have developed in the context of Greek agriculture, etc. That stuff is interesting even though I don't necessarily agree with all of his conclusions.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No, I'm not referring to any of the "why the Greeks were the best" stuff. I mean the things he's written about the actual mechanics of Greek vs Greek hoplite warfare, the types of people who may have fought as hoplites, his theories on why that style of warfare may have developed in the context of Greek agriculture, etc. That stuff is interesting even though I don't necessarily agree with all of his conclusions.

that thread calls out a lot of that stuff, which parts specifically are you curious about?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that thread calls out a lot of that stuff, which parts specifically are you curious about?

Oh, sorry if I was unclear. I'm not curious about anything. I was giving those as examples of VDH's early stuff that I think is good/worth looking at in contrast to his more recent works which tends to be progressively more racist and lovely overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Since all home defense stories with non-firearms must be posted, even if they're lovely wall hanging swords:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/for-game-of-thrones-guys-100-medieval-times-sword-saves-the-day/amp/

Plus he's probably a goon based on the ending.