Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I love how people blame Thibs for Butler's minutes like Hoiberg also didn't have that dude playing heavy minutes.

Jimmy averaged like one less minute per game under Hoiberg than he did under Thibs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

I love how people blame Thibs for Butler's minutes like Hoiberg also didn't have that dude playing heavy minutes.

Jimmy averaged like one less minute per game under Hoiberg than he did under Thibs.

The most minutes in a season Thibs played Butler was 2591 (which is basically what Kawhi played). Butler has less than 15000 minutes between regular and post season play (Same as Kawhi). The idea that he has all these minutes and miles on him is absurd, the dude does not have much NBA mileage at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/poundingtherock/status/880794081412227072

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

The most minutes in a season Thibs played Butler was 2591 (which is basically what Kawhi played). Butler has less than 15000 minutes between regular and post season play (Same as Kawhi). The idea that he has all these minutes and miles on him is absurd, the dude does not have much NBA mileage at all.

WHAT?

You mean a narrative pushed and floated out by certain media members who are known to talk to and get talking points from a certain front office who were waiting for an excuse to fire their best coach since phil might be misleading?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Sixers2017Draft/status/880789593053949953

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Good. CJ Miles on a 1 year 18 million

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I thought the highly exaggerated year multiplier was hint enough that I was joking but I guess not.

loving Poe's law, man. I get it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Lowe just put out a novel on the offseason with some reporting I haven't seen:

quote:

Start here: Dismiss the possibility of Boston signing Hayward, acquiring George, and then somehow signing George to an extension -- regardless of how they order the moves. They just can't open the room to do both without trading Al Horford.

If Boston trades for George, they will do so knowing he could be a rental. That limits the price they are willing to pay. Despite reports to the contrary, Boston has not included any of the following in its offers to the Pacers, per league sources: Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, the 2018 Nets pick, and the Lakers-Kings pick Boston snared from Philly in the Markelle Fultz blockbuster.

My best guess on Boston's standing George offer: Jae Crowder, Smart and Indiana's choice of protected first-round picks Boston owns from the Clippers and Grizzlies. That doesn't meet Indiana's goal of nabbing a top-10 pick or an equivalent talent. The Celtics will be reluctant to bid any higher given the risk of George bolting to the Lakers in a year.

quote:

Boston faces more varied competition for George. The Wizards would likely sign-and-trade Otto Porter, with one protected pick attached, to rent George, according to league sources.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EvanTH posted:

What do the Ricky Lovers out there say

I hope Ricky stays in Minnesota but on the other hand I like Lowry a lot and I'm starting to like Jimmy Buckets a lot so if Ricky goes elsewhere and Lowry comes to Minnesota I will have two teams I guess

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

gently caress you Ainge.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

I'd rather Dedmon, Ingles, and a backup point for the same cost.... but it's not as if I'd complain about Lowry.

If we don't use all of our cap on one guy I would love for the Wolves to go after JaMychal Green (sorry Nick)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Wasn't the minutes thing basically the only legit knock on Thibs? I seem to remember some interviews where he was asked and he blew it off the way very old men do, "The greats played 48! Don't make me laugh!" type of response?

I mean, after he was out the whole Bulls organization was exposed as having a seriously behind-the-curve training staff who didn't seem to be preparing the guys correctly, but there was a whole bunch of "why are your starters still in" type of moments. He is a psycho work-a-holic and expects the same from everyone else.

The GarPax post-firing smear folks overemphasized the issue for PR rear end in a top hat reasons, but it was still an issue. If you were grading him as a coach it wouldn't be enough to knock him even a third of a letter grade, but it was something competent team medicos should've had a word with him about. (someone back in 2007 really needed to tell Rose to stop landing sideways on one leg with the knees locked, the biomechanics in his pre-injury videos are terrifying, knowing how it turned out)

Didn't help that it all happened coming off the year when the Spurs looked all-time great with a team where not a single player went over 30 MPG http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2014.html while Rose still wasn't back.

Metapod posted:

Are you saying serge would lie cause that's some slander if I've ever heard it

Have you seen that lil Air Congo mini-doc? The dude had practically a whole city depending on him. Serge would absolutely lie to help out his family and his tribe, and he would be right to do it.

Serge at age "19":

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

pubic works project posted:

gently caress you Ainge.

If he's correct and no extension would be in place I'm glad he's not offering Brown, Tatum, or the Brooklyn pick.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paracaidas posted:

Yes, but if we count Thibs years-I think he's entering his 12th season?

I'd rather Dedmon, Ingles, and a backup point for the same cost.... but it's not as if I'd complain about Lowry.

Someone is going to overpay Ingles thinking that last year represents his true level as a shooter and I really hope it's not Utah.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

If he's correct and no extension would be in place I'm glad he's not offering Brown, Tatum, or the Brooklyn pick.

I'm fine with no Brown or Tatum, but that Nets pick needs to be on the table. Getting PG even for a year puts them in contention for winning the East and I bet that'll be enough to convince him to stay.

I'm going to be beyond lovely when KP caves and we get scraps for PG and then he decides to re-sign after the fact.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Paracaidas posted:

I'd rather Dedmon,

Why would you want ANOTHER center on the team?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I bet Simmons still hates David Kahn with a passion.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/880797550051115008

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Signing LeBron, a genius move by me. Only I can save the Clippers

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I'm fine with no Brown or Tatum, but that Nets pick needs to be on the table. Getting PG even for a year puts them in contention for winning the East and I bet that'll be enough to convince him to stay.

I'm going to be beyond lovely when KP caves and we get scraps for PG and then he decides to re-sign after the fact.

You're not getting the Nets pick for a rental and if there's no extension I honestly don't care about PG, there's no way we're winning next year anyways

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

You're not getting the Nets pick for a rental and if there's no extension I honestly don't care about PG, there's no way we're winning next year anyways

Just to clarify since that's a little out of context, they can extend him later with some maneuvering but not right away

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

Well then it looks like we're at an impasse! Good day sir!

*slams door*

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Paul George must sign a ten year contract to play for my favorite team

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I really just want this poo poo over with so I can move on and fully support my new favorite team, the Philadelphia 76ers.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Tae posted:

Why would you want ANOTHER center on the team?

I don't trust Aldrich playing meaningful minutes, I'd like KAT to get more time at the 4, and they finally medical'd Pek. Patton is a project that I'm not counting on for couple years, so there's room.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

EvanTH posted:

Wasn't the minutes thing basically the only legit knock on Thibs? I seem to remember some interviews where he was asked and he blew it off the way very old men do, "The greats played 48! Don't make me laugh!" type of response?

I mean, after he was out the whole Bulls organization was exposed as having a seriously behind-the-curve training staff who didn't seem to be preparing the guys correctly, but there was a whole bunch of "why are your starters still in" type of moments. He is a psycho work-a-holic and expects the same from everyone else.

The GarPax post-firing smear folks overemphasized the issue for PR rear end in a top hat reasons, but it was still an issue. If you were grading him as a coach it wouldn't be enough to knock him even a third of a letter grade, but it was something competent team medicos should've had a word with him about. (someone back in 2007 really needed to tell Rose to stop landing sideways on one leg with the knees locked, the biomechanics in his pre-injury videos are terrifying, knowing how it turned out)

Didn't help that it all happened coming off the year when the Spurs looked all-time great with a team where not a single player went over 30 MPG http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2014.html while Rose still wasn't back.

Wasn't the knock on Thibs not necessarily the long minutes his starters played, but also that he ran super intense, long practices?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
If the Wolves are trading Ricky then adding Lowry is fine, if they aren't it doesn't really make sense to have significant salary on both dudes. Also Lowry is going to be looking for a ton of money which I'm not sure he's going to be worth given his age and injury history.

Libertine fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 30, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I really just want this poo poo over with so I can move on and fully support my new favorite team, the Philadelphia 76ers.

Lots of legit sources saying the talks have basically died so I'm sure another team will take the Celts place in the rumors arena

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Paul George must sign a ten year contract to play for my favorite team

I agree with this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Paracaidas posted:

I don't trust Aldrich playing meaningful minutes, I'd like KAT to get more time at the 4, and they finally medical'd Pek. Patton is a project that I'm not counting on for couple years, so there's room.

KAT is a 5, he is better as a 5 and helps the spacing way better as a 5. Dieng is the back-up 5 as long as they get one of those mid-tier stretch 4's like Patrick Patterson to soak up minutes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Signing LeBron, a genius move by me. Only I can save the Clippers

Lol

I think a story came out yesterday about how he had zero interest in the clippers too, which makes sense if Paul had really soured on them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lots of legit sources saying the talks have basically died so I'm sure another team will take the Celts place in the rumors arena

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I want the Sixers to give a bunch of 1 yr/50 million deals to players

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I am Klay Thompson
https://streamable.com/746f1

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rubio will only play for a big market team though
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/880809784466849793

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Who the gently caress is going to sign Georgia Hills residential golf course development, if Utah aren't going and doing that

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

I was hoping New Orleans could find a way to trade for Chris Paul. How exciting would that homecoming have been

Same. Now that Kyrie is on the table, I'm imagining him and T.T. for DMC and it makes my head hurt.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah gonna be cj miles

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Sheriff posted:

Wasn't the knock on Thibs not necessarily the long minutes his starters played, but also that he ran super intense, long practices?

Probably. But I've never heard any players come out against Thibs for these things. Derrick Rose won an MVP, Noah won DPOY and Butler turned into an All NBA player under Thibs' coaching.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

quote:

Danny Ainge almost pulls off every deal

Michael Baumann: Danny Ainge almost trades for Paul George, but his lowball offer gets rejected. Danny Ainge almost recruits Gordon Hayward, but Ainge’s son, who’s running for Congress in Utah, convinces Hayward to stay with the Jazz. Danny Ainge’s son almost gets elected to Congress.

Danny Ainge settles for Danilo Gallinari and goes on a three-week press tour about how Gallinari was actually the player he wanted all along.

From the Ringer's prediction piece.

Savage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder what is the best pro league a summer league team could be dropped into and compete for a title. Looking at the Mavs SL team, they have a Chinese MVP on the squad who likely won't make an NBA roster. I'm thinking they could win the Chinese league but probably wouldn't be a contender in the Spanish League.

• Locked thread